Bills announce uniform change

Peter

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trying to remember when they announced the throwbacks at a similar event. jp losman jumping around….i want to say it was at SJF training camp.

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part to imagine them being released prior to the draft. As we have the 3rd pick though, I was under the impression that we might want to give our top pick (if he is invited to the draft) a new uniform.

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part to imagine them being released prior to the draft. As we have the 3rd pick though, I was under the impression that we might want to give our top pick (if he is invited to the draft) a new uniform.

good point, he has to hold up a jersey and smile before he becomes a bust :wallbash:

really, Sabres? everyone hated the flying slug logo, and yet everyone in town was wearing the jerseys, t-shirts, hats, socks whatever because the team was actually -- how do you call it? -- winning, by getting to the Eastern Conference finals twice.

i thought winning generated enthusiasm. :huh:

jw

Winning will make you forget how ugly the unis are. Unfortunately, the Bills were not able to test the theory of; does winning make you forget how ugly the uniforms are?

Why can't we have both? Why do some get upset because some are excited about new uniforms? Of course I want a better team but why can't they look good too?

Because contrary to his statement, he IS trying to be difficult. Here's his same lame comments on the same topic hours ago.

http://www.wben.com/Bills-Announce-NEW-Uniforms-Coming/9162368

Warrow is needling the board to find a few duped dummies so he can continue his fabricated theory in near future articles. Is there anyone here who thinks he really doesn't get it?

I know some here are happy to have a semi beat writer stop by from time to time. I find him a bore. Just a pompous pot stirrer with a pen. Nothing more. JMO.

Just thinking, the appreciation event has to be before the draft right?

Last time they did the unveiling in June, June 8th, 2002 to be exact. Though I don't remember when they announced there would be new uniforms that year. I don't think it was this early.

Ok. And where do you think it would be? The field house?

In 2002 they held it in the stadium.

Because contrary to his statement, he IS trying to be difficult. Here's his same lame comments on the same topic hours ago.

http://www.wben.com/...-Coming/9162368

Warrow is needling the board to find a few duped dummies so he can continue his fabricated theory in near future articles. Is there anyone here who thinks he really doesn't get it?

I know some here are happy to have a semi beat writer stop by from time to time. I find him a bore. Just a pompous pot stirrer with a pen. Nothing more. JMO.

how dare you blaspheme this almighty journalist who graces the board with his presence.

truly not a good plan to remain in the good graces of TBD

I'd actually like the helmet color to stay red as opposed to white. Its a unique identifier. Us and the chiefs are the only 2 current teams with red helmets. The AFL throwbacks with red helmets are fine with me.

Aren't the Falcons alternate helmets red?

really, Sabres? everyone hated the flying slug logo, and yet everyone in town was wearing the jerseys, t-shirts, hats, socks whatever because the team was actually -- how do you call it? -- winning, by getting to the Eastern Conference finals twice.

i thought winning generated enthusiasm. :huh:

jw

I was given slug-stuff as gifts but never bought a thing with that monstrosity on it. Most of us were happy to see it go.

I would have to imagine it should be before the draft. Per Fred Jackson the date has been set but he doesn't know if he is authorized to release it.

The last one was in May. Bledsoe and Mike Williams were introduced in the last hurrahs of the royal blues.

And JW, we already do root for the Bills wearing pink, all through October.

Edited by UConn James

see, i always figured it was the players in the uniform, not the uniforms themselves. call me ol' fashioned.

jw

But why not look good while playing? That doesn't make sense to you? Do you really want to write or root for a team known to have the most hideous uniforms in the league. So if they ever become a real team again everyone would say "Thats a great team but those uniforms!" I want a playoff team, but I want to like the uniforms also.

If they're not going to put a winning team on the field, I say they should build the team and it's unis to look like this.

It's a product I think we could all, er ah uhm, get behind.

Well said! I wouldn't mind seeing Wood in one of those unis.

Last time they did the unveiling in June, June 8th, 2002 to be exact. Though I don't remember when they announced there would be new uniforms that year. I don't think it was this early.

In 2002 they held it in the stadium.

Wow, don't know how many people will want to be in the Ralph for anything in the middle of the winter unless its a playoff game.

http://www.buffalobills.com/

Cool little intro-page. Man I'm excited.

EDIT: I am excited because I despise our current uniforms. If they are anything like our past designs I will be happy. Those are the Bills teams of my childhood/what most Bills fans identify with.

Something tells me the nickel is going to be more prominently displayed in the new uniforms. Maybe more of a side stripe, but based on the color scheme that is displayed on the BB.com home page, something tells me this may be the case.

Glorious news was released today when it was announced that my beloved Buffalo Bills would be changing their uniforms for the 2011 season (if it is, in fact, played). In 2002, under the direction of clueless general manager Tom Donahoe, the Bills' uniforms became among the NFL's worst of all-time.

Here is my attempt to fix them, using the description released by the Bills today as "incorporating the team’s storied history while keeping the team’s signature charging buffalo logo".

Click here to see the Uniforms.

What I did:

•Unified the Striping Pattern: With today's shrinking NFL sleeves, the 4-stripe pattern used on the Bills AFL throbacks simply look goofy on most cuts of jersey. So I went with a new striping system using a single red stripe outlined by another stripe 2x the thickness (white on blue background, blue on white background). This applies to the stripes on the helmet, sleeves, pants and socks.

• Helmet from '76-83: Only change being a thinner red stripe.

• OJ-Era Blue Road Pants: Complete with red belts and white laces

• Champion-style Block Numerals & Thick, Rounded Name font: A la the Kelly-Era Bills

• Added a small BILLS wordmark under the collar, and returned to white shoes.

I think this blends the history of the team well, cleaning up some inconsistencies returning the Bills to a unique, timeless look in the league. Looking forward to hearing everyones thoughts. They might still play like crap for the next few years, but at least they won't look like it.

Edited by epper

sorry, to ask. to those who have expressed excitement about this development, why is this exciting?

jw

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, being a Bills fan is part of my blood. It's a way of life. When they changed the uniforms in 2002, they changed them to some multi-colored abomination that was anything but a Bills uniform. Yes, I cheer for the players. But, more than that I cheer for a team that represents a City I identify with. I'm proud to be a Bills fan. I'm proud to wear their colors. I wasn't proud to wear the dark blue, red, grey, light blue, black, white, and whatever other stupid color they threw in there stuff. Hell, the I wasn't even sure it was a Bills jersey when I got a Bledsoe for Christmas years ago. That's how horrible they were.

I'm excited because I'm hopeful they'll do away with the horrible garb they've been wearing and bring back the Bills colors that I bleed. So that I can once again wear a jersey that I'm proud of and know that it represents the history of the team and the City that I love.

Anything will be better than the last 9 years, but i like your idea and applaud your effort. Everything looks nice. I think the impetus to put some modern twist in the new unis will win and we'll get some weird scripting on the numbers or something...but overall i think your idea is very close to what we will get.

Glorious news was released today when it was announced that my beloved Buffalo Bills would be changing their uniforms for the 2011 season (if it is, in fact, played). In 2002, under the direction of clueless general manager Tom Donahoe, the Bills' uniforms became among the NFL's worst of all-time.

Here is my attempt to fix them, using the description released by the Bills today as "incorporating the team’s storied history while keeping the team’s signature charging buffalo logo".

What I did:

•Unified the Striping Pattern: With today's shrinking NFL sleeves, the 4-stripe pattern used on the Bills AFL throbacks simply look goofy on most cuts of jersey. So I went with a new striping system using a single red stripe outlined by another stripe 2x the thickness (white on blue background, blue on white background). This applies to the stripes on the helmet, sleeves, pants and socks.

• Champion-style Block Numerals & Thick, Sans-Serif NOB font: Ala the Kelly-Era Bills

I think this blends the history of the team well, cleaning up some inconsistencies returning the Bills to a unique, timeless look in the league. Looking forward to hearing everyones thoughts. They might still play like crap for the next few years, but at least they won't look like it.

I'd sign on for those or the throwbacks in a heartbeat.

While I am a fan of the old style throw backs I think the Bills will go something closer to the Chargers, Seahawks, Titans or Cardinals. Something with a Bills edge incorporated in the jersey or some more pronounced / bold lines.

I was a fan of our current outfits for about 2 seconds, just nice to see the darker colors but I hope this blow them away.

I blame the broncos and the miami hurricanes for those fuglies the Bills have been wearing for the last 8 years. Piping over every seam? Stripes up the sides that go nowhere? Check those teams' unis for 8-9 years ago, someone in the Bills org thought that looked cool.

Matthews was drafted in 2009, same draft as Orakpo and Maybin. You could go with Bulaga maybe in that example?

:oops: Good catch - I don't know why I thought Clay was a rookie this past year. Yeah, Bulaga seems like the best choice in keeping with my theme of Bills need players that they did not draft but could have. But how about Maurkice Pouncey going to the Steelers at #18? What a draft choice for them, huh? Pro Bowl center as a rookie. The Bills drafted Wood in '09 so I can't blame them for passing on Pouncey but damn those Steelers always seem to draft great players year in and year out. :worthy:

Nice work Nick! Better than what we have now, for sure. Anything that would go back towards a classic, simple design is better than the current mess.

What I did:

• Champion-style Block Numerals & Thick, Rounded Name font: A la the Kelly-Era Bills

Now those are uniforms! That is exactlty what I want them to look like. I always thought the white helmets looked the classiest....besides....white=snow=Buffalo! Look for them to be a combo of that old style and a touch of new flair (like the Chargers did).

Hopefully Buddy had something to do with what they did out west.

Thanks for sharing....I hope we get our wish.

I think the impetus to put some modern twist in the new unis will win and we'll get some weird scripting on the numbers or something...b

Unfortunately, I'm thinking this way as well. I wish they'd just give us something simple like the OP's design. Can't wait until they're unveiled

Needs more red and never liked the white helmets. I'm too edgy for most but I would like to see some Keltic/Tribal designs on the uniforms, something that looks intimidating.

http://www.google.com/images?q=tribal+sleeves&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rlz=1R1GGLL_en___US381&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=EqJTTZaoEcH7lwfaoeiNCg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CC4QsAQwAA&biw=1014&bih=514

The uniforms presented are simple, yet classy.

I often wondered if going to the red helmet actually helped our QB's in spotting our WR's or not. If they do help, then I have no issue staying with the red, but I always liked the white the best with the charging Buffalo.

Anything will be better than the last 9 years, but i like your idea and applaud your effort. Everything looks nice. I think the impetus to put some modern twist in the new unis will win and we'll get some weird scripting on the numbers or something...but overall i think your idea is very close to what we will get.

Agreed. I'd like the grill to be red though.

why is it that i must have some sort of hidden agenda, as some here have accused.

i went on radio and provided my thoughts:

-- wouldn't it be better that the Bills changed their record rather than their uniform?

-- this strikes me as a cash grab by the Bills, and i'd certainly hope the team uses the newfound money in luring better players and building a better team.

i was sincerely surprised to see how much attention and how much excitement this announcement was receiving -- i mean you'd swear they just re-signed Cornell Green -- given all the cynicism that's surrounded the franchise for, lo, these long dry years. me, i just don't buy these uniform changes any more. they strike me as self-generated fluff events.

my opinion. sorry to bore you.

jw

given all the cynicism that's surrounded the franchise for, lo, these long dry years. me,

It's the one thing that they probably won't screw up. So it becomes safe to be interested in it because, unlike the regular season, it could lead to something good.