Poz quoted in Wannstache interview

Poz in Wannstache interview:

“The coaches were putting us in the right spot,” Posluszny said. “We have to get off a block and make a play, we have to come downhill, hit a guy, get off a block, get to the ball carrier, tackle better. It’s not a scheme thing at all. We’re lined up in a great defense. We’re ready to stop the run, we’re lined up in the right places, and we’re running the right stuff. It’s us. We have to be more physical, we have to play better. Defensively, we just didn’t play well at all.”

What do you guys all make of this?

Does it amount to Poz saying "I just wasn't a very good player"?

Seems weird. I suppose it's good not to blame the coaches or the scheme, but if the scheme is great, the coaches are great, and the players didn't execute, how are we gonna get better other than get rid of these guys and get better players?

Linky

"The coaches were putting us in the right spot," Posluszny said. "We have to get off a block and make a play, we have to come downhill, hit a guy, get off a block, get to the ball carrier, tackle better. It's not a scheme thing at all. We're lined up in a great defense. We're ready to stop the run, we're lined up in the right places, and we're running the right stuff. It's us. We have to be more physical, we have to play better. Defensively, we just didn't play well at all."

Seems weird. I suppose it's good not to blame the coaches or the scheme, but if the scheme is great, the coaches are great, and the players didn't execute, how are we gonna get better other than get rid of these guys and get better players?

Linky

POZ wouldn't know a good scheme if it hit him in his fat head.

The Bills did nothing that a sophisticated 3-4 typically does to confuse the offense.

maybe if they hired a DC that knew what to do with a 3-4, the players could execute.

“The coaches were putting us in the right spot,” Posluszny said. “We have to get off a block and make a play, we have to come downhill, hit a guy, get off a block, get to the ball carrier, tackle better. It’s not a scheme thing at all. We’re lined up in a great defense. We’re ready to stop the run, we’re lined up in the right places, and we’re running the right stuff. It’s us. We have to be more physical, we have to play better. Defensively, we just didn’t play well at all.”

Linky

Time for a new MLB.

Remember when we played in a 4-3 defense everyone said that Poz would be better in a 3-4.

Well we have a season playing the 3-4 under our belts and Poz wasn't any better.

It's time for a change.

Linky

So, in summary, "Posluszny says, 'I suck.'" Well, maybe his recognition skills aren't as bad as some thought after all. :lol:

Linky

"We suck again"

To put a positive spin on this (and I saw the comments earlier on BB.com and they did jump out at me), it shows me that Poz is an accountable person and that the last thing he would ever do is to point the finger at someone else.

Chris Kelsay is pretty much the same way. Neither of them are excuse makers or blame shifters.

Say what you will about them as football players. As people, they are blue chip talents.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Time for a new MLB.

Remember when we played in a 4-3 defense everyone said that Poz would be better in a 3-4.

Well we have a season playing the 3-4 under our belts and Poz wasn't any better.

It's time for a change.

Im sure you watch the games, but I dont think the defense we ran last year can be called a 3-4. I even think they moved him to weakside OLB, he didnt even play MLB a lot of the time.

Im sure you watch the games, but I dont think the defense we ran last year can be called a 3-4. I even think they moved him to weakside OLB, he didnt even play MLB a lot of the time.

well spent draft pick...good player, good guy. Id be happy if he finished a long successful career in Buffalo.

Keep Poz and add better talent AROUND him, which will automatically make him a better player.

Right now, our LBs suck and Poz was the best of the worst. The FO needs to replace the horrible guys, and then the average guys like Poz will play better and/or be replaced next.

To put a positive spin on this (and I saw the comments earlier on BB.com and they did jump out at me), it shows me that Poz is an accountable person and that the last thing he would ever do is to point the finger at someone else.

Chris Kelsay is pretty much the same way. Neither of them are excuse makers or blame shifters.

Say what you will about them as football players. As people, they are blue chip talents.

Good points, SJBF. It is the mark of a stand-up human.

On the other hand, I interpreted it as Sisyphean did: "In summary, Posluszny said ' I suck' "

Great for him as a human being, but what about as a football player? I do keep reminding myself of the "fluff" piece on the Stillers Linebacker U and their coach saying basically, I don't begin to have confidence in them until around their 3rd year (in a single system). So Poz had to learn a new system, and in 4 years has only had a couple years of playing time due to injury. Is there hope? It's not like he's a Maybin or a McCargo who can't see the field even on an injury-riddled team.

Linky

by getting rid of these guys.

I fully agree. Poz and Kelsay are not blame shifters and they do place themselves accountable. They are blue chip talents as people, and in the overall scheme of life that is what really matters. But as for NFL football players they don't cut the mustard. Poz is not making excuses for the scheme. He is pretty much saying "it's us" Everyone of us fans can make excuses for Poz but he pretty much said himself that it's on him if plays are not made. I respect him for his accountability on this. I respect him quite a bit actually. But if he can't cut it, then his position needs to be upgraded and Poz as smart as he is must know this as well.

This doesn't seem weird to me at all. To me this just seems to be a superbly honest statement by an honorable player. He knows his limits as a player and he realizes he has to play better and he calls himself out on this. If he is honorable enough he'll be ok with being a good backup for a new starter in time. I don't think Poz will ever stop trying to improve, but if we get another MLB who is better than him, then for the overall improvement of the team Poz will be ok with being the back up. That is if he is the pure embodiment of a team player.

Good points, SJBF. It is the mark of a stand-up human.

On the other hand, I interpreted it as Sisyphean did: "In summary, Posluszny said ' I suck' "

Great for him as a human being, but what about as a football player? I do keep reminding myself of the "fluff" piece on the Stillers Linebacker U and their coach saying basically, I don't begin to have confidence in them until around their 3rd year (in a single system). So Poz had to learn a new system, and in 4 years has only had a couple years of playing time due to injury. Is there hope? It's not like he's a Maybin or a McCargo who can't see the field even on an injury-riddled team.

Lot's of athletes and competitors say stuff like that to motivate themselves. I think it is good

that he feels that he can and must play better and I'll bet that right after he said "I suck" he went

and lifted extra weights. The guy is tough, accountable and a hard worker. He may not be Ray

Lewis, but I think they can win with him with some better players around him.

Keep Poz and add better talent AROUND him, which will automatically make him a better player.

Right now, our LBs suck and Poz was the best of the worst. The FO needs to replace the horrible guys, and then the average guys like Poz will play better and/or be replaced next.

Im not arguing you in this particular case, because I do agree with you that Poz has noever had any help from his teammates, but that seems to be the reasoning with every single player on the team. "Get Fitz an OL, Get evans better QB, Get Fitz a TE, Get SPiller a OL, get a pass rush and our DBs are better, better DL makes our LBs Better..."

It never ends. Eventually we are going to have to get a FEW GOOD PLAYERS who are good all on their own.

I think you are right. Poz is the best of a horrible crew of LBs. I really think that last years LBs were the worst colletion in team history.

Wannstache. Love it. Thanx for making me almost spit coffee on my monitor! :worthy:

Credit for Wannstache goes to south florida radio host and occasional ESPN PTI host Dan LeBatard who coined the word Wannstache years ago.

Im not arguing you in this particular case, because I do agree with you that Poz has noever had any help from his teammates, but that seems to be the reasoning with every single player on the team. "Get Fitz an OL, Get evans better QB, Get Fitz a TE, Get SPiller a OL, get a pass rush and our DBs are better, better DL makes our LBs Better..."

It never ends. Eventually we are going to have to get a FEW GOOD PLAYERS who are good all on their own.

Football is a team sport. Teams and players are only successful when all 11 guys are doing their jobs. RARELY if ever do you find a guy who can be "good all on their own". Even guys like Clay Matthews have Raji and Hawk and others around him.

My point was, if you are looking to replace players and build up the team, you dont replace the "best" guy you have on a unit, you replace the worst. Poz has not been the worst.

And this reasoning is not used for "every single player on the team" because no one is making a "Reggie Torbor Sucks" thread... because everyone knows he sucks and no one is expecting anything from him. We only get these threads about the small handful of players on the team that are supposed to have talent. Dont get rid of those guys, add more talent to the team around them.

Im not excusing Poz's play, just talking about the right way to build a team (instead of always rebuilding).

Poz manning up and holding himself accountable is not a sign of weakness people. It's a sign of strength. Seriously, I can't understand the logic around here. Here is a guy who is doing a good job but admits it's not good enough. He is showing a willingness to do better and you guys are ready to throw him under the bus.

Thoner, in a nutshell, I think you've just neatly summarized the problem of taking a team from the toilet bowl to the Super bowl.

Football is the ultimate team game. When you're one of 11 guys facing 11 guys, it's very hard to have a player who is great all on his own.

In fact, when a player tries to be great on his own, bad habits can be built that cause problems as the team improves.

IMO part of the problem with Fitz is he's trying to win the game all on his own sometimes because the team can't count on the D to get the stop

I can't watch a "Classic Bills" clip without noting how many 1-banana 2-banana I can bunch up while Kelly waits for the play to develop, and at least one "OMG!" one handed catch by Thomas or Lofton or Read.

When Bruce Smith arrived, he lined up next to 5 time PB NT Fred Smerlas. Darryl Talley was already there. Within 2 years they added Bennett and Conlan.

Think Bruce would have been as good lining up next to Stroud and Kelsay with Ellison behind him, or Kelly without the OL, Reed, Thomas and Metzelaars, think again.

Bottom line it's not enough to add a FEW GOOD PLAYERS, we have to have enough good players to have a functional team.

'Cuz there may be such a thing as an NFL player that's good on his own but I'm skeptical.

Aside: That's part of the problem many college players have transitioning to the NFL, innit?

In college, you can be good on your own. In the NFL, you can't.

Poz manning up and holding himself accountable is not a sign of weakness people. It's a sign of strength. Seriously, I can't understand the logic around here. Here is a guy who is doing a good job but admits it's not good enough. He is showing a willingness to do better and you guys are ready to throw him under the bus.

+1

Not exactly. He's saying (paraphrasing) the coaches are great and I suck, I need to be better.

Some of us are saying, OK, so how do you be better then, Poz? can you be better?

If wanting to be better and working hard at off-season conditioning is all it takes, great. I'm sure Poz will be highly motivated and will do his squats and curls and what-have-you.

If needing a physical skillset (speed?) and/or a mental ability he just doesn't have is what it takes, how will this work?

Linky

Ive been saying this since he's been in college

I , personally , don't understand all of the Poz bashing. Everyone is entitled to their opinion . But , in my opinion he is one of the strong points of our defense. Granted the defense wasn't very good this year but I think there is several other players that were responsible for that. No , he's not Ray Lewis... But he's a very dependable player that gives his all and wants very desperately to get better and works his ass off to get better. I hope the Bills build around him and give him the support needed to improve the team defense.

Amen brother ! Thank you....

Not exactly. He's saying (paraphrasing) the coaches are great and I suck, I need to be better.

Some of us are saying, OK, so how do you be better then, Poz? can you be better?

If wanting to be better and working hard at off-season conditioning is all it takes, great. I'm sure Poz will be highly motivated and will do his squats and curls and what-have-you.

If needing a physical skillset (speed?) and/or a mental ability he just doesn't have is what it takes, how will this work?

Hmmm. One little thing about the Wannstedt signing that a lot of people seem to overlook. He is not just assistant head coach, he is also ILB's coach. People around here seem to look at everything in black and white around here. The answer is not as simple as Poz sucks or doesn't suck. My opinion stands. People read one comment and like a hungry pack of hyenas are ready to tear him to shreds. Give me a break. Who is showing the greatest display of stength? Poz or his critics?

Edited by Rockinon

1. I think Poz is regurgitating what he heard in his exit interview with his position coach at the end of the season.

2. I think Moats is a gamer.

3. Danny Batten could be a contributor

4. If they don't elevate the talent level at LB it's going to be another long season - even if the strike shortens it to 10 games.

What I read is that we need front 7 help, oline help, and our qb..... We might have one or two people in those units but 2/5 or 2/7 will hurt those two real players and everyone playing behind them in the system.. I think that's reasonable.

How do you build a winner? Get a qb, protect a qb, harass their qb. We have accomplishes none of those and because of that our CBs, safeties, WRs and RBs are all going to struggle.

Hmmm. One little thing about the Wannstedt signing that a lot of people seem to overlook. He is not just assistant head coach, he is also ILB's coach. People around here seem to look at everything in black and white around here. The answer is not as simple as Poz sucks or doesn't suck. My opinion stands. People read one comment and like a hungry pack of hyenas are ready to tear him to shreds. Give me a break. Who is showing the greatest display of stength? Poz or his critics?

Sounds more like Poz is giving an honest self assessment that falls pretty much in lock-step agreement with what some of his critics have said about his play this past season. Which is stronger? Apple A vs. apple B? I'll vote for the apple.

Sounds more like Poz is giving an honest self assessment that falls pretty much in lock-step agreement with what some of his critics have said about his play this past season. Which is stronger? Apple A vs. apple B? I'll vote for the apple.

All laid out in black and white. Simple, cut and dried, unimaginative. No need to look at other variables. No need to believe that there is anything more than what you see in black and white.

Poz played mlb in the games I watched which was all of the games (some of them via DVR).

I saw Poz run him self out of plays to the sideline as if he thought he was playing olb. I don't remember him playing OLB or starting there but I could be wrong.

You gotta face the facts about Poz, too many weaknesses to be consistantly above average.

Edited by VADC Bills

1. I think Poz is regurgitating what he heard in his exit interview with his position coach at the end of the season.

2. I think Moats is a gamer.

3. Danny Batten could be a contributor

4. If they don't elevate the talent level at LB it's going to be another long season - even if the strike shortens it to 10 games.

An interesting take.

How will better talent around Poz make him shed blocks better or not get dragged the extra 3 yards by rb's or learn how to cover TE's or pursue the play properly. I'm not sure how better talent around him is going to make him better. Good players make people around them better. I expect a good mlb to make the people around him better and not to wait for a good player to come and make him better. If the latter is the case he becomes very expendable.

The front office needs to replace all of them because they all suck. I understand your phased approached but his contract is up now. Why delay the move?

Edited by VADC Bills

I agree. But 10 years of losing will do that to folks. There is a lot of cynicism and pessimism running wild these days. That being said, Poz is an average player. Not enough impact plays, particularly in the backfield or near the line of scrimmage. I would like to seem him resigned. He's a good team guy. He's an okay player. He just shouldn't be counted on to be the best MLB on the field though. I don't know that there is any amount of work he can do to turn into a game changer. That is a skill in and of itself and some players have it and others don't. Maybe he proves us wrong in the end. The Bills need game changers all over the field. Poz is a "Robin." We need Batman.

Edited by purple haze