Nnamdi Asomugha’s contract voids

This would be in excellent signing if we could pick him up. The great thing about free agency is it eliminates the element of risk. We know this guy is a solid player and would do well for our team. Taking someone like patrick peterson would be much more risky because he is an unproven player in the national football league. If he was signed and a defensive stud was drafted in the first round along with solid linebacker in the second or third round buffalo would be poised to make a playoff run.

Edited by Finkle Is Einhorn

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6004943

In this article it says he became a FA because he didn't reach performance incentives. It then says that he failed to record a sack, interception or force a fumble all season. Unless this guy is like Deion Sanders and teams throw in his direction never (which I doubt), then I would be hesitant to sign to a HUGE contract a big time playmaker who, ahem, quite frankly made no big time plays all year. :wallbash:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6004943

In this article it says he became a FA because he didn't reach performance incentives. It then says that he failed to record a sack, interception or force a fumble all season. Unless this guy is like Deion Sanders and teams throw in his direction never (which I doubt), then I would be hesitant to sign to a HUGE contract a big time playmaker who, ahem, quite frankly made no big time plays all year. :wallbash:

You don't know football then. He is the best corner in the league. You aren't going to make a lot of plays if no one even looks to your side. He is amazing & a great guy off the field.

That said, there is no way we should spend that kind of money on a corner. Build up the lines & McKelvin & company will look a lot better.

I am one to norammlly be all over this kinda stuff but not this time. I hate DBs and thats a lot of coin. I would rather sign Mankins and a TE or David Harris. No one even tries to throw on us anyways and no one can cover a Wr for ever with no pass rush.

You don't know football then. He is the best corner in the league. You aren't going to make a lot of plays if no one even looks to your side. He is amazing & a great guy off the field.

That said, there is no way we should spend that kind of money on a corner. Build up the lines & McKelvin & company will look a lot better.

I really appreciate you putting me and my football knowledge in place. :worthy:

That being said, I specifically said "unless they never throw to him" in my post. I don't think I've seen an Oakland Raider game in years (seeing they're never on TV here) so I try to base my opinions of players on what I've seen. I haven't seen very much of him. I was just a little shocked that he failed to record a single INT or fumble recovery ALL YEAR.

Even Deion still got INTs when teams "never threw his way"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=49

Nnamdi's stats seem to show not a whole lot of plays being made since his breakout year in 2006. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=4489

Teams must not throw his way, maybe, because the rest of the team is so weak that why attack their best guy when there are so many other options to exploit.

Whatever, we'll never get him anyway so I'm not sweating him.

Edited by machinegun12

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6004943

You appear not to know very much about Asomugha. http://en.wikipedia....Nnamdi_Asomugha

Opposing quarterbacks tested him only 31 times with a mere 10 completions the entire season. One NFL scout told Pro Football Weekly that Asomugha was thrown at "less than any defender in the last ten years" in 2007

Asomugha was again selected a team captain before the 2008 season. Opposing quarterbacks tested him only 27 times the entire season resulting in just 8 completions. Only perennial all-pros Randy Moss (3 receptions, 40 yards) and Tony Gonzalez(2 receptions, 34 yards) would catch more than one ball on him during the year. New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said Asomugha is "as complete a cornerback as he has seen all year"

A team captain again in 2009 and the NFL's least targeted cornerback by an extremely wide margin, Asomugha was challenged by opposing quarterbacks only 27 times and allowed 13 completions the entire season.

I read this morning where Darrelle Revis did not have a defensive penalty against him this year and that he did not have an interception this year. Obviously, this does not mean Revis sucks.

Revis and Asomugha are probably the two best cornerbacks in the league. It's hard to intercept a ball when the opposing team is intentionally throwing it to the other side of the field.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

You appear not to know very much about Asomugha. http://en.wikipedia....Nnamdi_Asomugha

Opposing quarterbacks tested him only 31 times with a mere 10 completions the entire season. One NFL scout told Pro Football Weekly that Asomugha was thrown at "less than any defender in the last ten years" in 2007

Asomugha was again selected a team captain before the 2008 season. Opposing quarterbacks tested him only 27 times the entire season resulting in just 8 completions. Only perennial all-pros Randy Moss (3 receptions, 40 yards) and Tony Gonzalez(2 receptions, 34 yards) would catch more than one ball on him during the year. New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said Asomugha is "as complete a cornerback as he has seen all year"

A team captain again in 2009 and the NFL's least targeted cornerback by an extremely wide margin, Asomugha was challenged by opposing quarterbacks only 27 times and allowed 13 completions the entire season.

I read this morning where Darrelle Revis did not have a defensive penalty against him this year and that he did not have an interception this year. Obviously, this does not mean Revis sucks.

Revis and Asomugha are probably the two best cornerbacks in the league. It's hard to intercept a ball when the opposing team is intentionally throwing it to the other side of the field.

I admitted I knew very little about him. It seems to me players make a name for themselves based on one or two good years and live off that reputation their entire careers. Seeing that I've seen very little of him, maybe I came to that conclusion about Nnamdi as well. If the stats on this wikipedia profile of him are accurate, then I have no problem changing my opinion of him.

I see a lot of Revis so I am not hesitant to say he's one of the top CBs in the NFL. Christ, his game vs Reggie Wayne and Indy last night just reiterates it.

this guy is a difference maker....he is worth +$15mil/yr.

bad news....he wants to be a JET:

http://www.silverand...ets-tamper-with

The Jets would really need some creative financing to fit Asomugha under the cap, but he and Reavis on the same team is a very scary thought. How would you attack that defense?

p.s. who the hell is in charge of reading player contracts in Oakland??

Edited by KD in CT

I see a lot of Revis so I am not hesitant to say he's one of the top CBs in the NFL. Christ, his game vs Reggie Wayne and Indy last night just reiterates it.

It was truly amazing. I understand Wayne being upset about only having one pass thrown to him…and he did pop open a few times. But on a lot of those isolation shots, it was like Revis knew what Wayne was gonna do before he did it. Revis is unbelievable.

The Jets would really need some creative financing to fit Asomugha under the cap, but he and Reavis on the same team is a very scary thought. How would you attack that defense?

p.s. who the hell is in charge of reading player contracts in Oakland??

Scary indeed. The funny thing about the Asomugha contract is that like machinegun showed, the whole idea of incentive clauses has been turned upside down. It is completely counter-intuitive that a person could be so good that he doesn't reach his contract incentives. It's one of those things that has probably never happened before and could possibly affect cornerback contracts going forward.

What cap?

Well, there's no cap presently. But the players union has backed away from their bold proclamation "if the cap goes away, it ain't ever coming back."

The reason the players are backtracking from that position is that because in this uncapped year, there was no salary cap BUT ALSO no salary floor.

As a result many teams spent under the salary floor and the players realize that having a salary cap (and a floor) is most likely beneficial to them as it forces the teams to spend at least a minimum amount on player salaries.

I expect the salary cap and floor to be a part of the new CBA. So a team thinking of signing Asomugha would definitely want to assume a salary cap.

Since you "hate DBs" would you rather just not cover opponents' receivers?

God you're an idiot

You can have the games best DBs and ill have the games best line and my team will kick the sh/t out of your team every day of the week.

God you are a bigger idiot.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/09/nnamdi-asomughas-contract-voids-heading-to-free-agency/

i would love this but he will cost soooo much, just a thought would not be mad if it happened

Worth every penny -- and he's supposedly a great community guy.

He makes your entire defense measurably better.

Hope the FO takes a serious shot at him!

You can have the games best DBs and ill have the games best line and my team will kick the sh/t out of your team every day of the week.

God you are a bigger idiot.

But if my team signs one of the best FA DBs in the game AND drafts the best pass rushing DE in the draft and LB; I think I win. Why can't you do both?

But if my team signs one of the best FA DBs in the game AND drafts the best pass rushing DE in the draft and LB; I think I win. Why can't you do both?

I believe with revis and jenkins and Harris the jets kinda followed that model. Add in Scott and cromartie and there's a reason there d is good. It's good at every level, not either/or like thoner argues.

I guess you could if you convinced Ralph to fork out 16 mil a year.

And if you could id still rather have Mankins, Harris, a TE for that coin.

Love the .sig.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Thanks. Thoner thinks if he makes his "points" loudly and obnoxiously, more people will agree with him. I'm convinced he has never actually watched a football game.

And nothing against the OP, but san jose basically told you what's up when it comes to nnamdi. Like i said, he IS like deion, maybe better. No one tests him ever.

In this division with amount of WR talent we face it's a need... helps free up others to make plays...I would at least make my best efforts to go get him

He would truly enhance this team's defense. If we have to chase TEs in our division a guy like this will add a safety to covering another playmaker.

I am one to norammlly be all over this kinda stuff but not this time. I hate DBs and thats a lot of coin. I would rather sign Mankins and a TE or David Harris. No one even tries to throw on us anyways and no one can cover a Wr for ever with no pass rush.

Agreed, we have bigger needs than corner and that money would better spent on Ngata or Woodley.

There's just no way you ever spend that kind of money on a DB. They simply cannot make that kind of impact on you W-L. Impossible. They cover one WR and the best teams are spreading the ball aound to 5 or 6 guys every game.

What great QB and/or WR did the Raiders shut down this year? Indy--maybe. SD? They gave up 431 passing in one game.

It's crazy to give up franchise QB money for a low impact player. Ralph would never agree to this for other reasons, though.

Yes they should, but it will never happen. He will likely fetch somewhere in the 15-20 million per year range, and there is no way Ralph is gonna pony up that kind of cheddar for any player. That being said...I would love having a guy like Asomugha here in Buffalo. He is a true "shut-down" corner.

please, why in the world would he want to sign here. The guy wants to win plus get paid. He was already getting paid big time but his agent still voided the deal. There is NO chance in hell the Bills would even consider the move and even a less a chance he'd sign with Buffalo.

My general thinking is htat you're as good as your worst DB on the field, not your best. Most teams have two good WRs to beat you with, so closing off one side of the field might leave you vulnerable on the other side if you blew your budget on a single star CB. That's why I'm wary of superdollar CBs like Asomugah.

My general thinking is htat you're as good as your worst DB on the field, not your best. Most teams have two good WRs to beat you with, so closing off one side of the field might leave you vulnerable on the other side if you blew your budget on a single star CB. That's why I'm wary of superdollar CBs like Asomugah.

I agree. Plus, lets spend the cash on D line, O line, OLB or safety.

Edited by RyanC883