Luck will not declare for the draft. Breaking news...

dayman

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all of you saying this was stupid, please see Sam Bradford.

A good QB is a good QB. No coach is going to come to Stanford and put a scheme in place that will fail to exploit Andrew Luck's talent. Personally, if I were Andrew Luck, I'd probably stay too. First off, he might leave school, go pro, and then be kept off the field for a year until the labor situation is resolved. Second off, the kid is wealthy already, its not like he needs the money. Third off, Stanford is a good school if you haven't heard, its not a bad idea to graduate. And lastly, I don't know about you, but I don't mind knowing that this is a principled kid who won't make decisions off the basis of a pay check.

Also, redshirt sophomores are don't necessarily have the highest success rate of rookie QBs. Just sayin', its not as outlandish as people want to think.

Yeah, because its not as if Luck could go back to Stanford when his playing days are over or anything.

Did you have the same opinion about Peyton Manning in 1997 when the Jets wanted him at #1 & he stayed in college? His competitive nature must have been questioned & he dropped in the 1998 draft to ....#1. Maybe he's so competitive that he'd rather take the sure thing & play than have his rookie year be a guessing game as to whether a lockout would keep him from playing. He might just feel like playing rather than sitting out 2011.

Really smart QBs can understand that an extra year in college can't hurt them when their families have money and that the most successful QBs spent more time playing college ball, not less.

By the 2012 season, Luck will have his degree and be ready to enter the April 2012 draft.

I'm sure getting his degree now instead a few years from now will really impress all the NFL GM's, the ones who will be paying him $60m. This decision is all risk and zero reward. Carolina already came out and said he will be the #1 pick. Manning played at a football factory. Luck goes to one of the best schools in the country where athletes take serious classes and are expected to attend and do the work.

Edited by BuffaloRebound

Bradford wasn't the prospect that Luck was at the same time and also needed to fill out. Bradford was not a slam dunk top pick or even top 5 pick at the end of his sophomore year. Oklahoma also competes for a national title every year. I don't think Bradford mentioned staying for any reason other than football. Locker, like Luck, cited not wanting to leave the college atmosphere. Huge red flag.

Bradford was at the top of the list of QB's that year along with Stafford and Sanchez. Bradford could very well have been the #1 overall pick of the Lions that year. It was talked about over and over again. Not really sure where you were back then my friend. :thumbsup: Also, Luck is staying to get a degree and not chasing the money. I applaud the young man for doing what he is doing even when it is frowned upon and counted as weakness by some, but nothing could be further from the truth. Like I said, comparing Luck to Locker is ridiculous @ any level.

Yeah, unless he values his education. One bad break or Russelling it could send him into the regular world. With only half a college education he has to go back to college. Staying and finishing he gets to walk away with little worries.

Wouldn't be easier to go back to school after a career ending knee injury with 70 mil in your pocket, as opposed to suffering that knee injury in college before you cash in?

Bradford was at the top of the list of QB's that year along with Stafford and Sanchez. Bradford could very well have been the #1 overall pick of the Lions that year. It was talked about over and over again. Not really sure where you were back then my friend. :thumbsup: Also, Luck is staying to get a degree and not chasing the money. I applaud the young man for doing what he is doing even when it is frowned upon and counted as weakness by some, but nothing could be further from the truth. Like I said, comparing Luck to Locker is ridiculous @ any level.

Bradford 'could very well have been' is RIDICULOUSLY different than being told you will be the #1 pick by the team picking. I'm glad you applaud him. You also probably have zero concept of risk and reward.

Also, it will be interesting to see how Luck does next CFB season. Will he be another Locker or another Bradford?

Don't forget - he has TWO more years of eligibilty!

Well, academically, he'll be done as a student - supposedly taking 19 credit units this next term just to stay on schedule for Spring 2012 graduation . I don't know what the rules are or if it's ever been done, but I suppose he could go for a Masters Degree and play while in grad school.

Luck is a rare talent and even rarer individual - how many guys actually graduate (from Stanford, no less) with a year of eligibility left?

Edited by The Senator

The Bills will be in a interesting predicament if the first 2 picks of the draft are Fairley and Bowers. If this wereto happen who do we pick at #3? Dareus who's not ranked in the top 5 picks o do we draft a QB there instead?

I take BPA which might ultimately be AJ Green. Lot of things need to shake out between now and then, like Senior Bowl, combine, pro days. Green IMHO, is the safest pick not to bust in the draft, but I would prefer Fairley.

No risk to saying you are going back to school right now...you can probably get a bunch of girls for the next 8 weeks, figure out whether the CBA gets resolved...and then change your mind if you like.

They have until the 15th of January to declare.

For what it's worth, the talking heads on Twitter (Schefter, Mort, King, etc.) are saying that the rookie cap WILL be in place for this year so he is not leaving as much money on the table as people think.

he's a lock to go #1 in this draft.....can't do any better than that......he cost himself ALOT of money in 2011 (will lose an entire years income playing for free)......you can always go back to school.....that rookie wage scale is gonna make a huge difference in 2012. i hope it works out for him....while many will think it's admirable......i think it's foolish.

and again.....props to The Senator for calling his return to Stanford.

Gotta respect his decision. He understands the value of an education. But to walk away from the amount of money that he is going to walk away from and set your family up for life is admirable yet leaves me scratching my head a little bit. Nonetheless, kudos to Luck for sticking to his guns.

Since the end of last season when all the LUCK fans kept dreaming about him coming to the NFL I kept wondering ... is this kid going to finish his four years and graduate or leave early? I am happy to see him pick college because I never felt he was ready to go pro, still young, and he is not the pick we need this year.

Now, we can just focus on our defense ... and let Fitz lead us for another year, which will also be the telling year for his capabilities to be a true leader since I am assuming (some may say dreaming) that the Bills will have a better defense in 2011 (if there is a season) and with a better defense comes a better offense.

I take BPA which might ultimately be AJ Green. Lot of things need to shake out between now and then, like Senior Bowl, combine, pro days. Green IMHO, is the safest pick not to bust in the draft, but I would prefer Fairley.

They have until the 15th of January to declare.

There's an antidote to 1/15. Say the labor agreement gets done in June. Luck signs with an agent, is declared ineligible & enters the supplemental draft where Carolina has drafted #1 & now gets Luck too. It's not likely to happen that way, but it can be done.

Maybe Luck doesn't like the idea of being tied to Carolina for 4-6 years, on a team that looks to be the worst team in the NFL, whose one nationally recognizable star - Steve Smith - is aging and doesn't have a lot of years left. So, if Luck has two passions in life - football and Architecture - then finishing his degree will ensure that he can do either if he chooses, and maybe next year he'll like the looks of the team that is likely to choose him - and, if Harbaugh takes a job with a team in the NFL and does poorly his first year, or can manage to trade into the spot where Luck could be drafted, maybe he holds out hope of some future like that?

As for how this will effect us: there are more than 2 star football players in this draft. All we have to do is be sure that we land a really talented, difference maker with our 1st pick. If it is an all pr OLB, DE, DT, OL, or QB - it doesn't matter, really, so long as the guy is a stud and will help us. If we can trade down a little and still get a contributor, then great, too. There will probably be Quinn, Bowers, Fairley, Von Miller to choose from as far as pass rushers - so, either of those guys would probably help us, and I don't think anyone can say, for sure, who will end up being the best of the bunch of top prospects.

All in all, this Luck decision shouldn't really hurt us.

Gotta respect his decision. He understands the value of an education. But to walk away from the amount of money that he is going to walk away from and set your family up for life is admirable yet leaves me scratching my head a little bit. Nonetheless, kudos to Luck for sticking to his guns.

Great because I really dont think he's ready, same as Locker did previously. Next year will define Luck better they are graduating a few lineman, plus this year is his first of being the man...good start but lets see more before making him the next franchise savior.

he's a lock to go #1 in this draft.....can't do any better than that......he cost himself ALOT of money in 2011 (will lose an entire years income playing for free)......you can always go back to school.....that rookie wage scale is gonna make a huge difference in 2012. i hope it works out for him....while many will think it's admirable......i think it's foolish.

and again.....props to The Senator for calling his return to Stanford.

He's going to have a lot of money in 2012. I don't think the NCAA can stop him from taking out an insurance policy that protects him for life financially, and if he wants a new car or anything else they can't stop his father from giving it to him. If his father gets him a $50,000 car, he can always pay him back in 2012. It's a totally different situation than a kid who comes from a poor family. I'm sure Peyton & Eli didn't have any problem staying in school because they had no worries about losing millions-they were set for life during their senior years because daddy could afford the insurance. Luck is in the same boat as the Mannings were. It's only foolish if he's risking never having millions. He's not.

I don't think the decision was necessarily foolish. Especially if the new rookie scale already kicks in for this draft.

Let's say you held an auction for billionaires and one of the items you auctioned was the following: The ability to spend one year on campus as the most recognized star QB in the country and Heisman favorite.

You don't think Warren Buffett would bid $200 million to spend one year as Andrew Luck? Hell, many billionaires own $150 million mega-yachts. They wouldn't derive more entertainment from spending a year swarmed by tight Asian poontang? Of course they would. I watched The Social Network. I want to be Andrew Luck. Oh, man, I want to be Andrew Luck.

I don't know why everybody is so happy about this, we weren't going to get him anyway and now I'm willing to bet Fairley goes 1 or 2.

Now we have a chance albeit small to get him next year.

And also, it's about regret. Now Nix and Gailey can operate without the regret of having missed out on Luck and letting Carolina out-maneuver them to get the #1 pick. They won't go on tilt and make even worse personnel decisions. They can operate with a sound mind.

Not suprised a bit. It's interesting how people talked themselves into being sure he'd come out over the course of the season. Go back and read stuff from September/October. The prevailing opinion back than was one of uncertainty, but that Luck was more likely to stay in school than come out. Anyway, given the likelihood of a lockout, and the fact that he had 2 remaining years of eligibility (and 1 year left to get his degree), this shouldn't come as a big shock.

Keep in mind that the 2011 draft is covered by the current CBA, but *only* the draft. No draft pick can sign a contract until a new CBA is in place. No one knows how a new CBA will affect rookie salaries, but it's unlikely that different rules will be set up for the 2011 and 2012 drafts. So there's little to no risk in terms of worrying about a rookie wage scale. There's 2 real risks:

1.) Injury, which is mitigated somewhat by Sam Bradford. It's not a stretch to think Luck's draft stock could also overcome a season-ending injury to his shoulder.

2.) With a new coach and maybe worse teammates, Luck has a down year and is exposed as not being the real deal.

As a fan, I'm glad he's going back, because if (2) happens, then we avoided a bust. I can't think of any QB whose draft stock dropped when he stayed an extra year, who then went on to amount to anything. Brohm stinks, Jevan Snead stinks, and I'm guessing Locker will stink as well.

From Luck's perspective, if he's truly a competitor, and he thinks there's a good chance that the NFL doesn't play a season in 2011, what other decision could he make? From his perspective, he's not passing up any money, because he can't get a signing bonus until there's a new CBA anyway. And as a competitor, wouldn't you want to get better? How is not playing for a year going to accomplish that?

Personally, I think Luck will wind up a lot more like Peyton Manning or Sam Bradford than Brian Brohm or Jake Locker, but we'll see.

I'm all for a guy staying and getting a degree, but let's be realistic here. As much as he should have a degree his livlihood is not going to depend on it - they guy's going to be a football player, not an architect. As such he should go for the best deal he can get. If you know you're going to be drafted #1 overall why go back? Things can't get any better - they can only get worse for you - an injury could lose you your shot at ever making it big. Great to stay and get the degree, but I don't think that's the best choice in this situation.

Good for him, and good decision. He will play in the NFL barring catastrophe, and now he will have a degree as well as a chance at a national championship and a Heisman.

This is only bad for the Bills 2011 draft. We were not going to get Luck, but he was going to assure that we got one of the top two other players on the board. Now we get one of the top three players on the board. I'm hoping Carolina and Denver do things we wouldn't and we still get the guy that Buddy would take #1, but if Fairley and Bowers go 1/2 we won't be feeling so good about this in a couple months.

Now, in a round about way, this could be good for us in 2012. It makes for a deeper QB draft, and means that a top QB could fall to our #11 or whatever slot. Way too soon to worry about that, but I'm just saying that while this makes 2011 worse, it could have a positive effect in 2012.

I think we pass on QB at #3 (unless Chan and Buddy have a really different opinion than I do on one of the guys available), and if we have value in round 2 Chan can take a project, and otherwise we can wait until 2012 to draft a QB and know that the 2012 QB class got deeper today.

Now let's get a bunch of good football players!

I am not sure that we should assume that he will go #1 next year. He may not have as great a season, or get injured, or other great players might show up (QB, DE, OL, RB) etc. In other words, we might not need to be first in the draft order to get Luck. Having said that, I'd be surprised if he dropped lower than #5.

I have to say that his decision only heightens my respect for him. I am a college professor, and take education seriously. I am really pleased by the message this sends to young kids in America.

But why couldn't Luck have just finished his degree with some online classes or done something else? Obviously it would take a little longer with the extensive workload involved with being in the NFL but very do-able. He could have sent a bette message that you can strive for greatness and do both instead of just choosing football or school. He has his whole life to get a degree. He won't ever be a 100% lock at #1 ever again.

If only every kid in America had the same opportunity with which Luck is taking a gamble. It's not like he can never finish his degree.

Bradford, like Peyton Manning, had the same coaches throughout their careers. Huge difference. Not to mention many of Harbaugh's recruits may go elsewhere.

I agree.

Yeah. But then there's that Mike Leach thing. :lol:

Stanford's net coach won't mess with Luck.

Carolina's satement had nothing to do with this.

Senator isn't the only onw who said Luck wouldn't come out.

Now we have a chance albeit small to get him next year.

And also, it's about regret. Now Nix and Gailey can operate without the regret of having missed out on Luck and letting Carolina out-maneuver them to get the #1 pick. They won't go on tilt and make even worse personnel decisions. They can operate with a sound mind.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Ok so lets assume Luck doesn't get hurt or totally crap the bed next year and is still regarded as a top 1 or 2 QB. In order to get him we would have really suck again this year and not make any progress towards being a better team. You would want that? And how would Gailey and Nix have regret about Luck being drafted 2 picks ahead of them. You'd have regret if you had a player in your lap, like Haloti Ngata and instead pick Donte Whitner. That's when you have regret. Anyway, all it means is that every other player moved up one spot on Denver and Carolina's draft board since Luck was clearly the consensus number 1. I'm not saying Denver would have drafted him but if he was there at 2, they more than likely would have gotten a King's Ransom for trading that pick. If he would have entered the draft there is no way he wouldn't be drafted before us and now we have a worse shot at getting a guy like Fairley.

Edited by Stl Bills

Yeah, unless he values his education. One bad break or Russelling it could send him into the regular world. With only half a college education he has to go back to college. Staying and finishing he gets to walk away with little worries.

the purpose of an education is to get a better job to make more money. No offense but he is not going to be asked mechanical engineering questions when he overthrows a WR on the field...educations are great, but they are great for a reason, and that reason is to make more money at a better job. If its that important he can go online and read everything there is to know about mechanical engineering and get every book out of the library...you get the same knowledge and you don't have to pass up 60 million to do it...

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Ok so lets assume Luck doesn't get hurt or totally crap the bed next year and is still regarded as a top 1 or 2 QB. In order to get him we would have really suck again this year and not make any progress towards being a better team. You would want that? And how would Gailey and Nix have regret about Luck being drafted 2 picks ahead of them. You'd have regret if you had a player in your lap, like Haloti Ngata and instead pick Donte Whitner. That's when you have regret. Anyway, all it means is that every other player moved up one spot on Denver and Carolina's draft board since Luck was clearly the consensus number 1. I'm not saying Denver would have drafted him but if he was there at 2, they more than likely would have gotten a King's Ransom for trading that pick. If he would have entered the draft there is no way he wouldn't be drafted before us and now we have a worse shot at getting a guy like Fairley.

You have never played poker then. Sometimes when you receive a bad beat or get outmaneuvered by an opponent, you go on tilt and end up quickly blowing your entire chipstack. Carolina outmaneuvered everyone by tanking on purpose when they trotted out Jimmy Clausen to go under center every week. Gailey and Nix would be seething and CONSUMED by the fact that they came close to Luck but another organization showed better moxie. There's no way their personnel decisions this offseason wouldn't have suffered. But now, they can rest easy knowing that they didn't lose anything at all. Carolina's front office is now on tilt.