Ok....let me ask this.....if Luck declares

I'd give up next year's #1 pick as long as we got a 3rd or 4th back in the trade...that way we're not losing a damn thing cause we can't draft worth a crap in the first round anyway.

Draft picks are valuated. Look up those values and you can pretty much figure out what it would cost in terms of picks.

Swap 1sts this year, 2nd round this year, 1 round next year.

No, they're not. The chart doesn't apply to the top few picks. Besides, the chart doesn't contemplate a once-a-decade prospect like Luck.

i think we should wait till the combine and all that cause i wanna see how mallet does. they could be pretty close to eachother in terms of ratings by the time the draft rolls around

:lol:

Sadly, I just looked up the NFL trade chart values. For us to move up from #3 to #1, it would cost us our #3 (1st round), #35 (2nd round) and #67 (3rd round) in this years draft. Unfortunately, Luck is only a QB and not know for his linebacking skills. We have way too many pressing needs to roll the dice on someone who COULD be great. Don't dream, it's over. :cry:

No, they're not. The chart doesn't apply to the top few picks. Besides, the chart doesn't contemplate a once-a-decade prospect like Luck.

Yes, they are. There are values assigned to every single pick in the draft, starting with the very first pick. You can look it up yourself.

Now, there are GMs in the league that adhere to the value board more closely than others, which is why teams sometimes have to "overpay" in terms of pick value to move up. But all the teams are aware of and use that chart to some degree.

And it's a guideline. It can't "contemplate" anything.

I will say this right here right now......

I have always been a Luck fan......I dont think Newton is ANYWHERE near the QB that Luck is going to be....

I WOULD give up this entire draft to get Luck.....I just wish that if we did that our owner would be aggressive in free agency.....

We need a RT, a TE, and another linebacker.......

It would probably mean we would not do well next year......but we WOULD have Luck

The chart does not apply when a player like Luck is available.

Whatever you say chief. Then at least answer the original poster's question. What do you give up for him if you're Nix? How would you determine a fair trade price?

If it doesn't apply to someone so highly regarded like Luck, then to whom does the system apply? And how do teams determine the cut-off, i.e. When do they say this guy should be valuated at that pick but that guy shouldn't be?

If Luck falls to #3 ok get him if not go D, last in the league against the run is no way to win a superbowl either.

All that said, I think Buddy will go with the BPA which could be a WR or CB and it will cause a bunch of heads around here to explode (but in actuality I don't have a big problem with it, especially if they are a bit aggressive in FA this year).

WalterFootball Draft Value Chart

Draftek Draft Value Chart

Just like the sticker shock that some of you have regarding The Bills moving up to #1 from #3, the relative price for someone in the #7 slot to move to #3 is the same - their #1, #2 and #3.

That's why it's sooooooooooooooooo easy to trade down. A fantastic trade is just a phone call away. Always. Without exception.

I he does declare (he won't), I'd give up nothing - I'd be happy if Carolina takes him at #1, so we can grab Mallett.

I was trying to figure out yesterday... why wouldn't he declare? He would be the #1 pick so there's no where to go but down and why risk all that $ to come back for another season? He's only a sophomore so he still wouldn't graduate. He can always complete college later anyway. It's not just an injury to worry about. What if he has a mediocre season after Harbaugh leaves? He will cost himself lots of $ like Brohm did.

Edited by vincec

Draft picks are valuated. Look up those values and you can pretty much figure out what it would cost in terms of picks.

Swap 1sts this year, 2nd round this year, 1 round next year.

Yep, thats the deal. They get our 1 and 2 this year and our 1 next year. And that may not get it done. But it probably will, assuming Carolina is interested in giving up Luck in the first place.

I was trying to figure out yesterday... why wouldn't he declare? He would be the #1 pick so there's no where to go but down and why risk all that $ to come back for another season? He's only a sophomore so he still wouldn't graduate. He can always complete college later anyway. It's not just an injury to worry about. What if he has a mediocre season after Harbaugh leaves? He will cost himself lots of $ like Brohm did.

Senator does this in every luck thread. says he wont declare and then touts his buddy Mallett.

How much do you want to bet that someone is telling him what happened with Jake Locker - stock was high last year and he decided to stay. Now it's no guarantee that he'll be a first round pick. I think Luck declares.

Personally, I like to see athletes graduate first. However, there's too much pressure these days to go get your money now. Luck can't turn down this opportunity.

Luck scares me, he looks kinda like ....Ryan Leaf

If the status quo remains the same at OBD it won't matter who the Bills draft....anyone will be a gamble because this FO is clueless

Anyway, anything Luck does will mostly depend on if Harbaugh stays or leaves Stanford, JMO

I am just curious at what the answers are.....

If Luck truly is a potential star at QB.....what would you give up

Nothing. Hold you're ground at Numero 3. Broncos and Panthers already drafted QBs. The odds of them doing so again are doubtful. If he falls to you. Then we LUCKED out. Yeah. I know bad pun :D

No way he gets past Denver. Denver needs a coach and a QB, plus they can add picks by dumping either Orton or Tebow. I think they keep Tebow unless they get a great offer.

Carolina also needs a coach and QB, so another opportunity for a package deal. Carolina could use the help since the team could use some marketing news. They can then try to move Claussen for picks.

This makes moving up harder as neither team is motivated to move out of their pick.

Academically, he's in his Junior year and due to graduate next year. Personally, I think Luck's value will only increase after he completes his college career next season.

IMO, the only risk to him in his Senior year (academically, that is - football-wise he'll be a red-shirt Junior this Fall) would not be a Jake-Locker-like fall from grace, but a Greg-Romeus-type injury disaster.

you trade up for luck at any price. even if it means giving up next years #1 (or more) in addition to swapping #1's this year....STOP LOOKING at next years #1 as losing something.....all your doing is FREEING UP salary cap space that can still be used on a free agent.

you trade up for luck at any price. even if it means giving up next years #1 (or more) in addition to swapping #1's this year....STOP LOOKING at next years #1 as losing something.....all your doing is FREEING UP salary cap space that can still be used on a free agent.

OK - saying (hypothetically, of course) Luck's enters this 2011 draft (he won't) - what if Carolina wants him as badly as you do?

How do you trade up, if they don't want to trade down? :unsure:

All of these discussions about taking Luck, trading up for Luck etc. etc. are predicated on the fact that if he was drafted by Buffalo he would agree to play with Buffalo and not pull a Elway/Manning and say "F U ... trade me". Given the state of the Bills and in particular their offensive line, I might well walk away from Buffalo right now if I were him. That tactic worked out pretty well for both Elway and Manning.

There is no way you mortgage the rest of your draft by trading up and take someone that won't play for you. Just sayin.

Edited by CodeMonkey

OK - saying (hypothetically, of course) Luck's enters this 2011 draft (he won't) - what if Carolina wants him as badly as you do?

How do you trade up, if they don't want to trade down? :unsure:

you make them an offer they can't refuse ?....where's Jimmy Spags ?

as long as Carolina doesn't get Harbaugh as Head Coach (which i would do if i owned the team)....i think at some point you could make an offer where they would say yes....i'm serious, give them TWO extra #1's..i don't care....they are just salary cap slots.....i am much more protective of my second round picks anyways...thats were the best bang for the buck is risk/talent/salary. Hell, Carolina was already stupid enough to trade away this years 2nd round pick (33rd overall) to New England for their third round pick last year. They may want this year's #2 & #3 picks and swap #1 picks....i'd do that too.

**(The Patriots also will have the first pick of the second round (No. 33 overall) thanks to a draft-day trade with the Carolina Panthers a year ago. The Patriots traded a third-round pick in 2010 the No. 89 overall pick for a second-round pick in 2011, and that trade looked better and better every time the 2-14 Panthers lost a game this season.)

Edited by papazoid

I dont think Carolina trades the pick.

Has a #1 overall pick ever been traded?

I don't know if the pick has ever been traded but I do know that the player picked has had their rights traded soon after the pick.

Two that I can think of off the top of my head:

John Elway - drafted by the Baltimore colts and refused to join the team and was traded to the Broncos*

Eli Manning - drafted by the Chargers and then traded to NYG for Rivers and other picks.

*Interesting fact, Elway was apparently at the time of his drafting playing minor league ball for the Yankees and was going to pursue a career in baseball if he wasn't traded from Baltimore.

Let's look at this from the Panthers point of view. If you think the next Peyton Manning or John Elway is sitting there would you trade out of the position for a handful of draft picks or players? Answer is no. So end this discussion. Luck may be that guy.

I don't know if the pick has ever been traded but I do know that the player picked has had their rights traded soon after the pick.

Two that I can think of off the top of my head:

John Elway - drafted by the Baltimore colts and refused to join the team and was traded to the Broncos*

Eli Manning - drafted by the Chargers and then traded to NYG for Rivers and other picks.

*Interesting fact, Elway was apparently at the time of his drafting playing minor league ball for the Yankees and was going to pursue a career in baseball if he wasn't traded from Baltimore.

Interesting. Its too bad but i dont see the panthers giving this guy up.

Let's look at this from the Panthers point of view. If you think the next Peyton Manning or John Elway is sitting there would you trade out of the position for a handful of draft picks or players? Answer is no. So end this discussion. Luck may be that guy.

a legitimate arguement can be made either way regarding which has more value....keeping the pick or trading it for more picks.....there is risk/reward either way....you won't know for years who was right or used their picks wisely....lots of folks consider the #1 overall pick a curse and tried to trade out (but wasn't offered enough in return)...ya never know, carolina may value more picks.

Edited by papazoid

Michael Lombardi at NFL.com is reporting that Carolina may stick with Clausen and not draft a QB next year. If Luck declares that probably wont prevent them from selecting him but they may be open to trading him for additional picks. If that becomes the case I would do whatever is necessary to grab him. Lee Evans and our #1 pick for the rights to Luck. I believe Steve Smith is a FA and their WR group needs a serious upgrade. AJ green and Lee Evans would be a good 1-2 combination.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d6e4ed/article/playoff-field-set-but-some-teams-can-already-call-it-a-season?module=HP_cp2

a legitimate arguement can be made either way regarding which has more value....keeping the pick or trading it for more picks.....there is risk/reward either way....you won't know for years who was right or used their picks wisely....lots of folks consider the #1 overall pick a curse and tried to trade out (but wasn't offered enough in return)...ya never know, carolina may value more picks.

The Bills may also value more picks.

Assuming, for a moment, something that absolutely will not happen - Luck enters this year's draft - and you're Carolina: would YOU trade the #1 pick?

Edited by The Senator