Not saying I want him but

C.Biscuit97

Reasonably productive isn't good enough at the quarterback position in the NFL. You can get away with that at any other position, but damn, having an elite QB is a million times better than having an elite defender against the run.

Amazing...8 consecutive weeks of Luck, Locker, and Mallett prognostications and Fig Newton comes in and steals the show...something tells me all this praise is attributable to Mel Wiper and the pseudo-analysts who are touting this young man. Figgy was quoted as saying "I wanted to take my talents to Auburn" (a stolen choice of words from Lebron James). If this kid thinks he is that good already, let Jerry Jones or Al David waste their money on him. Take AJ Green from GA and wait for his current QB (Murray) to come out in the draft.

Draft him and give him a year on the bench. He is Vince Young without the attitude. He is Mike Vick without the dogs, He is Russell without the weight. He is Leaf with a desire to play. He is exciting as all get out.

The only similarity between any of those players are there complexions. He's got more of a prototypical throwing motion and is more physical running the rock than Vince Young. He's bigger than Vick. He's more mobile and accurate that Russell.

For those who say he's a project I don't get that. Every rookie is a project because they have not played at a professional level and have to learn the game. Luck will be a project too. There are no guarantees. But if they can't draft Luck based on draft position and Newton shows well in workouts leading up to the draft and he's there I wouldn't be mad at the Bills if they took him. That being said, I prefer defense to Luck or Newton.

Does anyone really believe that the Steelers regret drafting Rothlesberger a number of years ago? I don't care what caliber of defensive player was available to them the Steelers have been serious contenders for years because they have an exceptionally talented qb on their roster.

Bypassing a qb with the tools of Newton would be foolish. Getting him on the roster sooner doesn't mean that our defensive needs still can't be addressed with the other remaining picks. In addition, the free agency route can also be used to address the defense.

In all the games I have seen CN play in a talent loaded conference he was by far the best player and the most impactful player on the field. Although he garners a lot of attention for his scintillating runs what I am most impressed with is his passing abilities. He has a strong arm, he is accurate and he has touch. His pocket presence is also superb.

The Bills are one of the most irrelevant franchises in the NFL. It has been a lackluster franchise for a very long time. There comes a time when an organization has to shake things up and do what a lot of people wouldn't expect from this very staid and unimaginative organization.

Edited by JohnC

I am starting to suspect that many of you fans are against Cam Newton for the same reason your fathers never gave Jim Harris a fair chance to develop

Without coming out and saying it, you're implying that racial discrimination has something to do with people discounting and doubting Cam Newton. But you are wrong.

There are legitimate concerns about Cam Newton's character.

These concerns stem from his father (supposedly without Cam's knowledge) asking for a play for pay fee from schools attempting to recruit him.

These concerns also stem from the circumstances of him leaving Florida amidst a grading scandal in which he allegedly stole a paper from a classmate and put his name on it. He allegedly subsequently bought a paper online and submitted it as his own work. Some claim that he was to be expelled before he voluntarily left Florida.

So there are legitimate concerns about his character.

There were zero concerns about James Harris' character. Harris simply came along at a time when there was strong institutionalized prejudice against blacks playing quarterback in the NFL.

The two cases couldn't be more different.

If you have a chance to pick up a potentially elite QB, you take him. You can fill the rest of the positions in later rounds.

The rest of your picks should go on the lines. Newton is serious trust me if Luck was better he would have won the Heisman.

Buying a paper online and saying it was his creates enough character issues to pass on an excellent talent.

I got news for you, many college student will barrow from online publications...it's college.

Thats like saying college atheletes go drinking after games so they have character issues.

Please spare me the character issue garbage. Newton may or may not be the right guy for the team but lets not go out of our way to manufacter character issues.

Edited by VADC Bills

If you have a chance to pick up a potentially elite QB, you take him. You can fill the rest of the positions in later rounds.

The rest of your picks should go on the lines. Newton is serious trust me if Luck was better he would have won the Heisman.

Buying a paper online and saying it was his creates enough character issues to pass on an excellent talent.

I got news for you, many college student will barrow from online publications...it's college.

Thats like saying college atheletes go drinking after games so they have character issues.

Please spare me the character issue garbage. Newton may or may not be the right guy for the team but lets not go out of our way to manufacter character issues.

You're gonna have to bone up on your reading comprehension.

No one is "manufacturing" character issues. Quoting verbatim yet again…"there are legitimate concerns about his character." It's really a simple concept.

AND, my post was in response to to Bills99999 who was making the case that the lukewarm response to Cam Newton has to do with racial discrimination.

No. The cool reception to drafting Cam Newton doesn't have to do with racial discrimination. It has to do with concerns about his character.

I've not even said whether I'd be in favor of drafting him or not. I can't make it any simpler than this. Hope you get it.

Amazing...8 consecutive weeks of Luck, Locker, and Mallett prognostications and Fig Newton comes in and steals the show...something tells me all this praise is attributable to Mel Wiper and the pseudo-analysts who are touting this young man. Figgy was quoted as saying "I wanted to take my talents to Auburn" (a stolen choice of words from Lebron James). If this kid thinks he is that good already, let Jerry Jones or Al David waste their money on him. Take AJ Green from GA and wait for his current QB (Murray) to come out in the draft.

I'm not the biggest Newton Fan...I worry about his maturity in the step-up...at least initially...But honestly, if you think the praise for the Kid is generated by Mel Kiper there's no way you've seen him play one single Down of Football...I could care less how he worded a sentence, he was far and away the best player in College Football playing in the best Conference in College Football...He has all the natural ability in the world to not just succeed, but to excel in the next level...And he seems like a pretty bright Kid...

I have no idea how Newton will turn out as a Pro...It's a HUGE jump no matter how talented any player is...But he's not all hype...And a Team like The Bills taking a gamble on him makes perfect sense...I'm guessing right now if Luck comes out, the odds are better than 50/50 Newton is wearing a Buffalo Bills Uniform this time next year... B-)

I lived in Alabama for several years growing up and have always rooted for Auburn... A.U., to me, are underdogs much like the Bills and have had to endure a a rival that has won 13 national titles... I'm rooting for Cam Newton, allegations or not... He is a special athlete...

Whether he would be a favorite for Buffalo come draft time, I don't know... But I find a few things interesting in the equation...

For one, we all know that Buddy Nix is an SEC and southern football guy and hails from Alabama... Gailey is from Georgia and went to U of Florida... not to mention he had coaching gigs with Troy, Troy St. and Georgia Tech..

Two, if it is true that Nix and Gailey were trying to move up and get Tebow last year, then that would be a clue that a QB like Newton might be exactly the style they are looking for... and a spread offense with some wildcat and other wrinkles would be about right for Gailey...

Three, while we aren't certain yet, the Bills look to have a high pick next April.. They need to sell tickets and a "Tebow" type draft prospect could be the answer...

I'd say there is a fair to good shot that Buffalo goes after Newton if everything falls into place...

Buffalo does have a lot of needs though, so there are many ways they could go...

Without coming out and saying it, you're implying that racial discrimination has something to do with people discounting and doubting Cam Newton. But you are wrong.

These concerns stem from his father (supposedly without Cam's knowledge) asking for a play for pay fee from schools attempting to recruit him.

These concerns also stem from the circumstances of him leaving Florida amidst a grading scandal in which he allegedly stole a paper from a classmate and put his name on it. He allegedly subsequently bought a paper online and submitted it as his own work. Some claim that he was to be expelled before he voluntarily left Florida.

There were zero concerns about James Harris' character. Harris simply came along at a time when there was strong institutionalized prejudice against blacks playing quarterback in the NFL.

And that's not to mention the laptop issue.

The thing that scares me is that it has continued to follow him all along. Delayed gratification is important in being successful and it seems this is a HUGE issue. What all those have in common are him thinking about his happiness today, not a week out, a year out, not about his team, not his career. He wanted a laptop, he got it. Forgot that he could have costed himself millions getting caught. Couldn't wait for the NFL deal, had to get that money upfront. Why wasn't he writing his own papers? Anyone doubt he wasnt out instead of studying?

What will he do with money? Will he Pass on the big parties and the woman or will he stay in and study? Will he take offseason trips to work with his receivers or to lay on the beach? Will he be the first one in the building every day to make sure he makes the right read on Sunday?

He's better then everyone on the field now. Bigger, stronger, faster but in the NFL he won't be - don't get me wrong, I think he's special physically. Even without the work ethic Vick played well but imagine what he couldve been had he been a peyton manning student of the game. If every step, throw and glance was totally calculated instead of just feel. The man could have been a straight up trained assassin but he walked on to the field as a street fighter. He got the job done, but not the way he couldve and for that money should've.

Cam is every bit as good but will he want to be better. Will he put the team first. Will he study a play he may never run for hours, or will he just have fun with it all.

I hope no matter what he enjoys it, but there's so much to being a franchise qb and the question marks about his judgement, and his ability to put off what he wants RIGHT NOW for what could be down the line worries me about giving him a 50mill contract. Will he be able to put that behind him and start working for his next contract, his next season, his next game, practice, throw, presnap read.

Edited by NoSaint

As for Newton, a lot of these "character" issues are BS. I work in the education field and can tell you that school isn't for everyone. Newton has found his career path. By all accounts, he is a great teammate and leader. Personally, I couldn't give a crap if he cheated on some meaningless class or his father took some money while he makes the school millions of dollars. All I care about is what he does on the football field. And there, he is flat out awesome.

Hmmm. Why did Newton leave Florida? What about his arrest for stealing someone's laptop that he threw out the window when the police showed ip? Was that also BS?

Hmmm. Why did Newton leave Florida? What about his arrest for stealing someone's laptop that he threw out the window when the police showed ip? Was that also BS?

He was 19...He's fully admitted to being immature then...He says he did not grow up until he went to JC...

I'm not saying that Newton does not have some MAJOR red flags he needs to overcome for an NFL Team to consider him with a Top 5 Draft choice...I am saying from a TON of personal experience what he did at 19 may very well have no bearing on the adult and Pro he'll turn out to be...In fact I think it's actually a positive most of this stuff came to light BEFORE the Draft and not after...Teams will dig REAL deep now...Newton will have to prove he's a better Kid/Man...We'll see soon enough what Teams find out... B-)

BTW - though a lot of people pussyfoot around about it, there are a large number of racist Bills fans that wouldn't be thrilled about having a black quarterback and wouldn't hesitate to call him a thug or a loafer or whatever. Not saying it is you or anyone you know, but let's not pretend it doesn't exist.

He was 19...He's fully admitted to being immature then...He says he did not grow up until he went to JC...

I'm not saying that Newton does not have some MAJOR red flags he needs to overcome for an NFL Team to consider him with a Top 5 Draft choice...I am saying from a TON of personal experience what he did at 19 may very well have no bearing on the adult and Pro he'll turn out to be...In fact I think it's actually a positive most of this stuff came to light BEFORE the Draft and not after...Teams will dig REAL deep now...Newton will have to prove he's a better Kid/Man...We'll see soon enough what Teams find out... B-)

I think it was a different thread I talked about this but they all bleed together. The thing that worries me is that all of these choices show an inability to put off today's happiness for tomorrows. This is a kid looking at possibly getting 70million and he's stealing laptops, cheating in school, and asking for money even after getting under the microscope by being run out of a school.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_gratification?wasRedirected=true

Will he be able to put off parties, and such to study and perfect plays he may never run, to learn tendencies of players he might only see once.

I am starting to suspect that many of you fans are against Cam Newton for the same reason your fathers never gave Jim Harris a fair chance to develop

Did the Bills have a starting QB from Harvard back then? I didn't realize.

Read this and think about it: The Bills gave up about 1,000 yards on the ground over the past 4 games. If the QB never sees the field, why draft a shiny new one?

You're gonna have to bone up on your reading comprehension.

No one is "manufacturing" character issues. Quoting verbatim yet again…"there are legitimate concerns about his character." It's really a simple concept.

AND, my post was in response to to Bills99999 who was making the case that the lukewarm response to Cam Newton has to do with racial discrimination.

No. The cool reception to drafting Cam Newton doesn't have to do with racial discrimination. It has to do with concerns about his character.

I've not even said whether I'd be in favor of drafting him or not. I can't make it any simpler than this. Hope you get it.

No need to bone up, you are stating facts...but you are making mountains out of mole hills under the guise of "legitimate" character issues. When things turn criminal thats when I question character. Only time will tell.

Did Pete Carroll ever got these kind of cool receptions or questions about his character before he got the Seattle gig.

There could be a touch of double standard.

No need to bone up, you are stating facts...but you are making mountains out of mole hills under the guise of "legitimate" character issues. When things turn criminal thats when I question character. Only time will tell.

Did Pete Carroll ever got these kind of cool receptions or questions about his character before he got the Seattle gig.

There could be a touch of double standard.

in college peyton manning exposed himself to a female trainer and made a sexist comment to her...he still went #1 and no issues since then. she sued manning and the university but nobody has brought it up in a looooong time. kids make stupid decisions and you have to see if they have the ability to put childish things away grow up.

Ok Let's be Real Here, If we are going to be moral police let us all look in the mirror. We want football players Not Ministers, rabbis and choir boys! Charcter is a old phrase that has merit but on the football field, weighs about 10 lbs in a 100 pound bag of @#$^.

So mix it in with the other stuff and the smell is not as strong. Give me the Ray Lewis's and the Big Ben's and Jared Allens and Dare I say Bret Favres (Prescrptions, Sextinget,et al,)Reggie Bushes, Chris Carters, Romonowskis and let's get a efnn championship!

Do I have to remind you of the GREAT Jim Kelley parties during the Bills Reign. How much character was consider during those parties? I say again You don't pass on a Franchise QB's if he is what you need & is available can get him GET HIM ask the Jets, Falcons, Ravens & RAMS YES WE CAM!!!

in college peyton manning exposed himself to a female trainer and made a sexist comment to her...he still went #1 and no issues since then. she sued manning and the university but nobody has brought it up in a looooong time. kids make stupid decisions and you have to see if they have the ability to put childish things away grow up.

Mark Sanchez got charged with rape his freshman year. But I guess taking a laptop and cheating on a test in a meaningless class is worse than rape.

Booker, you should bold your response to make it easier to see but I agree with your post. Newton did some stupid, immature things when he was a t Florida. But on the big scale of things, they are very juvenile offenses.

As for the taking money issue, I say good for his family. Auburn has made millions of Newton and selling his #2 jerseys that he doesn't get a cent of. If he blew out his knee, do you think the school is really going to help him out? Whether people want to admit it or not, this type of thing is going on all the time in big time college sports. The only difference is MSU was bitter that Newton didn't go there and blew the whistle.

Welcome to the board.

Been reading for awhile sooo Now I'm in

Booker, you should bold your response to make it easier to see but I agree with your post. Newton did some stupid, immature things when he was a t Florida. But on the big scale of things, they are very juvenile offenses.

As for the taking money issue, I say good for his family. Auburn has made millions of Newton and selling his #2 jerseys that he doesn't get a cent of. If he blew out his knee, do you think the school is really going to help him out? Whether people want to admit it or not, this type of thing is going on all the time in big time college sports. The only difference is MSU was bitter that Newton didn't go there and blew the whistle.

TOO SHAY

A superstar quarterback is the single most valuable commodity in professional sports. Period. More valuable than a superstar linebacker or defensive end or left tackle or starting left-handed pitcher or goalie or whatever position is important in synchronized swimming.

Period.

If you think you can get one, you do it. Can Cam Newton be a superstar QB? Maybe. Nothing is certain. There is a chance though, and it's worth trying to shoot for the moon. We stink anyways.

This is very true, but I think athleticism has a lot less to do with being a superstar qb in the nfl than the ability to read defenses. That's why a guy like fitz who always knows where to throw the ball, but doesn't necessarily have the strength or the accuracy to get it there is 100x better than a guy like losman who can make all the throws and make plays with his legs, but doesn't know what to do. In the NFL, every single player on the field is a freakish athlete and the defenses are much more sophisticated, so a qb with superior athleticism to everyone else that can't make reads will still get eaten alive. The reads in a spread option offense are extremely simple. Now, if Cam has the intelligence and dedication to learn how to be an NFL qb, he will absolutely be a superstar, but its gonna take at least a year for him to learn the pro game for him to get there.

Not least of all because your response visually merged with my post…looks like your post was the end of my post.

And unlike you, I'm not in favor of drafting Cam Newton 4-6th overall (or with whichever high pick the Bills end up with).

It's only partly character concerns. It's also that ridiculous spread option/wildcat (crap) offense that they run.

p.s.-Welcome to the board.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Did Bernies Madoff have charcter issues? Did Andrew Carnagee, Nelson Rockafeller? We all have flaws. He who has none throw the first ball at the dunk Tank and Knock the clown in

Forget the butchering of all three names--are you saying we were all a little too tough on Bernie's "character flaws"? And that Nelson "Rockafeller" was a criminal?

Nice entrance into the board, man!

Not least of all because your response visually merged with my post…looks like your post was the end of my post.

And unlike you, I'm not in favor of drafting Cam Newton 4-6th overall (or with whichever high pick the Bills end up with).

It's only partly character concerns. It's also that ridiculous spread option/wildcat (crap) offense that they run.

p.s.-Welcome to the board.

Trust me, I get the concerns. But I disagree about the spread because it's way mroe common in the NFL now.You spread the field with 4 wide and it makes for a lot of easy reads for a QB. It also creates a mismatch with Newton and the LB left in the box to defend him.

As much as I would love to be a NFL GM, this is they type of decision that would drive me crazy. There are a good deal of concerns with CN but some of them are the variety of a kid being a kid. He seems to be real easy going on the field and single-handedly made a 5 loss team into a championship contender in the best conference in college football.

Basically, the thought of passing on one of the most dominating college players ever terrifies me more than anything. Stars save franchises and we really don't have one right now. Newton fits that model to a tee and would have some good leaders in place to help his learning curve and become a pro (Fitz and Gailey).

Trust me, I get the concerns. But I disagree about the spread because it's way mroe common in the NFL now.You spread the field with 4 wide and it makes for a lot of easy reads for a QB. It also creates a mismatch with Newton and the LB left in the box to defend him.

As much as I would love to be a NFL GM, this is they type of decision that would drive me crazy. There are a good deal of concerns with CN but some of them are the variety of a kid being a kid. He seems to be real easy going on the field and single-handedly made a 5 loss team into a championship contender in the best conference in college football.

Basically, the thought of passing on one of the most dominating college players ever terrifies me more than anything. Stars save franchises and we really don't have one right now. Newton fits that model to a tee and would have some good leaders in place to help his learning curve and become a pro (Fitz and Gailey).

I hear a lot of people saying this, but I'm not so sure Fitz is down with taking a teaching role. As the great Brett Favre said of grooming Aaron Rogers, "That's not my job". If he's not playing he probably wants out, and he'll have no trouble finding a team to start for.

You know, CB, I'm not an expert on these things but the spread option (aka Tim Tebow offense) looks very different to me than the spread offenses that NFL teams use.

In the spread, it's often that the QB makes that stupid little fake draw move into the line and then backs out.

In the NFL spread, the QB keeps his eyes down the field and exhibits very precise footwork.

I could be wrong but it seems to me like those two spread offenses are very different.

There's more to a spread offense then just 4 receivers. Also he runs a spread option - closest thing in the NFL is wildcat.

Scares me, but like you I worry about passing on a player like that.

You know, CB, I'm not an expert on these things but the spread option (aka Tim Tebow offense) looks very different to me than the spread offenses that NFL teams use.

In the spread, it's often that the QB makes that stupid little fake draw move into the line and then backs out.

In the NFL spread, the QB keeps his eyes down the field and exhibits very precise footwork.

I could be wrong but it seems to me like those two spread offenses are very different.

It's going to be different route trees, progressions, footwork etc. There really aren't many if any that I can think of that have made the transition. This isn't the throw first, tom Brady 50 passing tds spread that he is running at auburn. Comparing the two is like saying all 4-3 defenses are the sane without taking into account zone vs man, blitz vs coverage etc.

Edited by NoSaint

Make sure the tub is empty. I don't know whether he would work out but I've heard the Bills like him and he is from Chan's neck of the woods (ACC). Word is Chan and Buddy like ACC/SEC players.

Yeah they do, but I think they covet Ryan Mallett much more than Ponder (which is just fine with me).

So you're all ready declaring Tebow a failure before he starts one NFL game? Good point and thanks for your wisdom.

No, I'm just declaring you an idiot, but have fun with your little crusade for the next five months.

But Newton is the most dominate football player I have ever seen.

:lol:

Edited by KD in CT

:unsure:

What does that have to do with whether or not the Bills should draft Juice Newton?

Simply put everyone who speaks about character in the world we live in should take a 30,000 foot view and think about the character flaws in the world we live in and get off the character issue of a FOOTBALL player that is what it has to do with drafting CAM.

We can give a "character guy" like Kelsay $$$$ who don't have "SKILLS" to make a difference then I'll take a difference maker like Cam with "character issues" Now do you follow me.....