A Few Thoughts About The Game

1) I am not going to pick on Fitz today. He had no help, and even went over to Nelson after the TD to congratulate him. He WAS trying. It appears he is turning into a leader. Imagine that.

2) Giving myself the right to go back and forth, I am once again going to call Stevie Johnson a possession receiver with bad hands. I am sick of his drops, and perhaps even sick of him as a person. Maybe I'm just venting.

3) Ding Dong. Is that the Avon Lady? No, it was the sound of Bell, getting his bell rung on virtually every play. I will never deny his agility, but he is every bit as weak as he is agile. Was John Fina stronger than this guy? Is this really our LT of the future? Is this what we waited 3 years to see? What a freaking mess!!!

4) "Best Player Available." Don't you love that term? CJ "Blood" Spiller. Is that what he was, the "BPA?" I think that if a 5 year old girl tapped him on the shoulder to ask him a question, this "BPA" would hit the turf, and hard at that.

5) McKelvin was just so awful today that I am literally laughing as I type. Laughing to keep from crying. Remember when Dick Mauron talked about how happy he was when McKelvin was still there at #11? I do however see what is wrong with him, and it isn't pretty. He is brainless, the poor guy. And he doesn't compensate with football instinct because he has none.

6) Speaking of mental lapses, Lee Evans went over the middle today. He bobbled the pass but did hold on. As I was watching the game, I found myself agreeing with those who post that Evans would have been a good player if he was on a good team. But, this was after 3 Heinekens.

7) I can't help it. I like Gailey and I even think Edwards will be an improvement over the Dick Mauron defense. But wrt Gailey, I felt deep sympathy when the cameras focused on him after one of the many Bills blunders. He looked so sad and confused. Obviously, he is a stanger to the long term despair, pain and calamity that serious Bills Fans are just so accustomed to.

8) To all of you Paz haters: He isn't great, but he is one of the players on this roster who belongs in this football league.

9) Thank you Donte for bringing me back to reality. That penalty for elbowing a down receiver was every bit as untimely as when you were selected with the 8th pick of an NFL draft.

10) There was NO right side of the offensive line today. Call it a chasm.

11) OK, so I am a little grouchy tonight. Complaints notwithstanding, I will never give up. If the Bills draft right, they can contend soon imo. What we Bills Fans have is a shipwreck, but one that I am proud to be a part of. Fans, give yourself credit for being loyal and legit! :beer: Some day our loyalty will pay off, perhaps in any number of ways.

12) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) at least it wasn't a heart breaking loss.

Great post as always Bill, and true to the above, I was able to get out of the house and be productive by halftime.

Key point here: this team is sketchy to begin with, so when starters go down like they have on the D lately, and then the O line yesterday, it's a disaster ready to happen. The pain of the wound of poor drafting over the past few years just gets deeper.

But like all sick Bills fans, I say, "Go Bills!" only a week until another game.

I get physically ill when I think about Whitner, McKelvin, Maybin, and McCargo being first round choices. Losman too. Stew Barber drafted better.

And the only one of those guys I still have hope for is McKelvin. I know it's already his 3rd year in the league and he got beaten like a rented mule yesterday, but he's still talented.

Bill, that had to be one of the most negative "Few Thoughts" posts I've seen in a long time. I don't agree about Stevie, but that may be stemming from how he's come on this year and is the big receiver we've longed for when we drafted...um...I forget...Hardy, was it?

Nevertheless, in a lost season, it looks like the whole team (except for Fitz and maybe Poz & Florence) mailed it in after the 28-point outburst. These guys need to start learning how to get a lead and keep it. The way they've been playing for the past 2 months, I'm a bit surprised that they didn't let Drayton's pick-six motivate them a bit.

Turn the page on this one and let's see how they play against an equally-mediocre Browns team next week.

Edited by BuffaloWings

And the only one of those guys I still have hope for is McKelvin. I know it's already his 3rd year in the league and he got beaten like a rented mule yesterday, but he's still talented.

Bill - as always - great thread

My thoughts on McKelvin yesterday were one he need not do returns any more - he has huge talent but also hands of slick oil. Second,let him play corner and take his licks this year as it looks as though McGee is done.

1) I am not going to pick on Fitz today. He had no help, and even went over to Nelson after the TD to congratulate him. He WAS trying. It appears he is turning into a leader. Imagine that.

2) Giving myself the right to go back and forth, I am once again going to call Stevie Johnson a possession receiver with bad hands. I am sick of his drops, and perhaps even sick of him as a person. Maybe I'm just venting.

3) Ding Dong. Is that the Avon Lady? No, it was the sound of Bell, getting his bell rung on virtually every play. I will never deny his agility, but he is every bit as weak as he is agile. Was John Fina stronger than this guy? Is this really our LT of the future? Is this what we waited 3 years to see? What a freaking mess!!!

4) "Best Player Available." Don't you love that term? CJ "Blood" Spiller. Is that what he was, the "BPA?" I think that if a 5 year old girl tapped him on the shoulder to ask him a question, this "BPA" would hit the turf, and hard at that.

5) McKelvin was just so awful today that I am literally laughing as I type. Laughing to keep from crying. Remember when Dick Mauron talked about how happy he was when McKelvin was still there at #11? I do however see what is wrong with him, and it isn't pretty. He is brainless, the poor guy. And he doesn't compensate with football instinct because he has none.

6) Speaking of mental lapses, Lee Evans went over the middle today. He bobbled the pass but did hold on. As I was watching the game, I found myself agreeing with those who post that Evans would have been a good player if he was on a good team. But, this was after 3 Heinekens.

7) I can't help it. I like Gailey and I even think Edwards will be an improvement over the Dick Mauron defense. But wrt Gailey, I felt deep sympathy when the cameras focused on him after one of the many Bills blunders. He looked so sad and confused. Obviously, he is a stanger to the long term despair, pain and calamity that serious Bills Fans are just so accustomed to.

8) To all of you Paz haters: He isn't great, but he is one of the players on this roster who belongs in this football league.

9) Thank you Donte for bringing me back to reality. That penalty for elbowing a down receiver was every bit as untimely as when you were selected with the 8th pick of an NFL draft.

11) OK, so I am a little grouchy tonight. Complaints notwithstanding, I will never give up. If the Bills draft right, they can contend soon imo. What we Bills Fans have is a shipwreck, but one that I am proud to be a part of. Fans, give yourself credit for being loyal and legit! :beer: Some day our loyalty will pay off, perhaps in any number of ways.

Tell it like it is Bill.

1 - Fitz is good and he is a warrior. I would still draft Luck if he were sitting there for us.

2 - Johnson = average possesion reciever.

3 - Bell is playing ok but I would not hesitate to draft a stud LT and try Bell at RT. BTW - Fina was much, much better.

4 - Lets draft the "BPA in a position of need". If have to stop drafting CBs and RBs.

5 - (McKelvin + Clements) < Winfield

6 - Lee was invisible when we needed him, as usual. I think they were focusing more on Johnson.

7 - Chan has a big job ahead of him.

8 - Poz is the best LB we have, and that is a problem. Most of the others could not make a decent NFL defense.

9 - Donte = more bad plays than good plays. That was their QB he fell on after the whistle. :(

10 - Right side of the line: Urbik, Howard, Wrotto = a smorgasboard of Practice Squad level talent.

11 - Keep the faith. We only need to replace about 8 starters to contend for playoffs (LT, RT, TE, DE, ILB, OLB, CB).

Edited by Bob in STL

My main thought after the game (and during it):

Why is this team never prepared to play when they step on the field? Even during the weeks when the game is close they get manhandled in the 1st halves of games - why?

It reminds me of the Wade years when the team would have to get smacked in the mouth before they woke up - except those teams won more than it lost. There is simply no excuse for coming out flat every single week.

After a game like this, how can you praise Poz, yet get on Johnson and Spiller's case???? Are you kidding me?

Other than these past two games, at least Stevie Johnson has shown Bills' fans some serious playmaking skills this season. Has "THE POZ" done anything even remotely like performing at a high level in his entire NFL career?

You're getting on Spiller's case? Did you not see that the line was decimated yesterday? C'mon man, you are much better than this. You're slipping. Seems you took a day off like our team did.

Excellent summary. When watching the game against a good team (rudderless under Childress and gaining its bearing under Frazier) it becomes more evident the disparity of talent between a good team and a mediocre team. The Bills have a long way to go to compensate for their extended hideously bad drafting history. What is disheartening is that they will not be adding talent to the base so much as replacing their mistakes. Thus the franchise rehabilitation is going to take longer than it should have.

As you noted the only real remedy is to draft better. Its going to take time and it is going to take years. It seems to me that Nix has mapped out a course relying mostly on the draft. It is the right way to go. The patchwork method only disguises your weaknesses. It is time to meaningfully address them.

For those fans who think the Bills are on the doorstep to NFL manhood you need to sober up. The Bills are at an infancy stage of rebuilding. Unless they understand the reality of the situation they will continue to be deluded.

Side notes: There is no doubt that McKelvin is a special physical talent. There is also no doubt that McKelvin is a dope. Having this type of player at the CB position is a killer. There is a big difference between being a tremendous athlete and being a good football player. Our scouts need to go back and take the 101 Scouting class.

Adrian Peterson is a special player. C.J. Spiller is going to be a good player. He will never have the impact of an AP type player. The Vikings recognized the value of AP when they drafted him very high and the Bills overvalued C.J. Spiller when they took him where they did. It would have made sense to take Spiller where they did if they had in place the caliber of OL to get the maximum return on his talents. This organization got it backwards in the way the franchise should be constructed. Get the lines in place first and then add the skill players.

Bill, spot on this week.

Unless some incredible treasure like Luck is there for the Bills, I hope they trade down. They need so much help that a later first and maybe a high second would help more than just a #3 pick. They could potentially grab the best DE or LB, and a couple top tackles. What the Bills need is trench guys and LBs. It's possible to snag 3 starters out of this draft.

Right now....Javid Best looks like a better pick for the Lions than CJ Spiller does for the Bills.

Stevie Johnson is talented. He might have a case of the dropsies, but he creates separation from those who are covering him to put himself in position to drop a ball. That's talent.

Donte's penalty call was real weak sauce. Especially when Jared Allen is throwing forearm shivers all over the place and on our QB.

You're getting on Spiller's case? Did you not see that the line was decimated yesterday? C'mon man, you are much better than this. You're slipping. Seems you took a day off like our team did.

Perhaps, but I wasn't the 8th selection of a draft. I'm a walk-on from Community College. ;)

Perhaps, but I wasn't the 8th selection of a draft. I'm a walk-on from Community College. ;)

Running backs are a dime a a dozen unless they are the rarest of rare talents. And they have the shortest careers of any NFL position.

I want Spiller to be Reggie Bush and I am more optimistic than you but we agree 100% on this point: He was a luxury pick. Basically, the Bills are a 4 story roach invested walk-up with a 56" flat screen TV. Stupid pick.

Donte's penalty call was real weak sauce. Especially when Jared Allen is throwing forearm shivers all over the place and on our QB.

The slide was late and Donte was going to make some contact. Where he went wrong is that Donte followed Jackson to the ground aiming his shoulder into him instead of just falling on top of him. It was a dumb play and he did it being aggressive instead of using his brain. In the grand scheme of yesterday, it didn't matter but it was stupid.

Bill, spot on this week.

Unless some incredible treasure like Luck is there for the Bills, I hope they trade down. They need so much help that a later first and maybe a high second would help more than just a #3 pick. They could potentially grab the best DE or LB, and a couple top tackles. What the Bills need is trench guys and LBs. It's possible to snag 3 starters out of this draft.

Agreed. Luck or trade down.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Spiller run over a DB on one of his runs? What the hell did he do wrong today? He was one of the lone bright spots out there. He is the least of our problems. He's gonna be a good back in this league. How quickly we forget how insane he looked in the preseason. He hasn't gotten the touches yet this year to really get into a good rhythm. I am confident that if he got 20-25 carries against an average opponent, he would break out and gain some much-needed confidence. Be patient.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Spiller run over a DB on one of his runs? What the hell did he do wrong today? He was one of the lone bright spots out there. He is the least of our problems. He's gonna be a good back in this league. How quickly we forget how insane he looked in the preseason. He hasn't gotten the touches yet this year to really get into a good rhythm. I am confident that if he got 20-25 carries against an average opponent, he would break out and gain some much-needed confidence. Be patient.

Trent Edwards looked like Joe Montana in pre-season. Want him back?

I'm not picking on Spiller. I am picking on the organization for picking him when they had 2 good RBs and no line.

You're sick of someone as a person because of how they play for your favorite football team??? Seems a little extreme. The guy's a 7th round pick who broke out in his 3rd season. Seems like the type of guy most people would want to root for, but that's just me I guess.

Point taken. But if I was his coach I would want him to tone it down just a bit. He has some beautiful receptions this year but his team is 2-10, and he continues to drop important passes due to his obvious lack of concentration.

Point taken. But if I was his coach I would want him to tone it down just a bit. He has some beautiful receptions this year but his team is 2-10, and he continues to drop important passes due to his obvious lack of concentration.

"Why so serious" is not my style but I could live with it. The problem with "Why so serious" is that the Bills were down 14 when he did it. That makes it more about him than the team. And his 7 drops (4 credited, which is a joke) from last week, I can also chalk up to immaturity.

That leaves me with one thought on Stevie Johnson: Grow up.

First thing McCargo does when he gets on the field is jumps offsides....then provides nothing.

I think it is easy to say this goes on the top 10 bust list.

It's nice to see 2-3 of the top Bills busts on the same squad all at once although I still hope Maybin hits the 'roids and fixes his problem.

You're sick of someone as a person because of how they play for your favorite football team??? Seems a little extreme. The guy's a 7th round pick who broke out in his 3rd season. Seems like the type of guy most people would want to root for, but that's just me I guess.

Don't you realize C.Biscuit? Stevie Johnson would catch every single pass that came his way if he shaved his head clean, didn't twitter, or didn't write on his shirt with a marker!!!

No one has yet to explain to me why twitter can be blamed for a player making mistakes, but that same player having a facebook account or playing a video game or reading a newspaper or sending a text message or taking a dump cannot be blamed.

Edited by Ramius

Jared Allen makes LTs with much higher pedigrees look just as bad. He didn't give up a sack until yesterdays game.

I bet Bill would be willing to say that Bell has been a pleasant surprise this year but he still has holes in his game, especially when it comes to run-blocking where the ability to drive forward and show off strength matters most.

First thing McCargo does when he gets on the field is jumps offsides....then provides nothing.

I think it is easy to say this goes on the top 10 bust list.

In the looking for the silver lining department, yesterday's game proved one thing pretty convincingly...

Troup>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>McCargo

So, I drove up to MN for the game, and saw the welcome to MN sign, and then a wall of white for a good old 3 hour stretch of blizzard driving. Though it was great to see Bills fans in the stadium and about town afterwards.

A few from having seen the game live: Stroud offers very little push on the line and was easily subdued. I am ready to cut ties there.Go Bills.

I bet Bill would be willing to say that Bell has been a pleasant surprise this year but he still has holes in his game, especially when it comes to run-blocking where the ability to drive forward and show off strength matters most.

And you are correct. Time and again I have praised his agility, but he simply isn't strong enough.

Jumbo Elliot lined up many times against Bruce Smith. Very often Smith would dominate him, but other times Elliot would win the match-up. My point is that playing against a good, or even great DE is no excuse to get consistently beat because when a LT gets destroyed, so does his quarterback.

Bell has improved, but he doesn't make the team stronger, and despite "global warming" :unsure: , the weather is now cold. Running the football will matter more. The team MUST get stronger in 2011. If Bell is to be a good LT, he has no choice.

Good post, as usual! :thumbsup: Here are some of my thoughts.

1) Agreed about Fitz. He's not the problem, though I'd like to see the Bills take Luck if they can.

2) I think that Stevie Johnson is capable of reliably holding onto the football. Maybe his mental focus was off last week.

3) I agree that a long-term solution at LT should not look the way Bell did against the Vikings.

5) McKelvin has the physical talent to be a very good CB. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like he has the brains or instincts to go with that talent.

7) Even though I think the Bills need to focus on their draft position, I too felt sorry for Gailey. He deserves better than this.

9) I think that Whitner is good at making hits and tackles, but is a liability in pass coverage against better TEs.

10) I completely agree that the right side of the OL may as well have not taken the field against the Vikings. I realize some of those problems will get fixed once injured players come back, but the Bills still need a RT.

11) After yesterday's game, I'm less optimistic than I'd been. A few weeks ago, I would have said that if the Bills could get an elite QB, two elite pass rushers for their defensive front-7, and a few solid players at other positions (such as RT and LB), they'd be a legitimate Super Bowl contender. Now I'm not so sure. Fitz is solid, but not elite. Everything else from that list is still a need. Plus they can't have guys like Bell getting dominated as he was yesterday, or McKelvin playing the way he did. Then you have to think about whether McGee will fully recover from his injuries. As scary as it is to say this, the Bills might actually have a hole at starting CB. I'm not happy about that, for obvious reasons! :angry: Especially because you'd normally expect to have to use a first round pick on your #1 CB. :angry: :angry: I mean, with all the early draft picks that have been dumped into the secondary over the last five years or so, you'd think that was one part of the football team we wouldn't have to worry about!! :angry::angry::angry:

The four most valued positions on draft day are QB, RDE, LT, and CB. A guy like Nix might think to himself, if CB is one of the four most premium positions, and if the Bills don't have a true #1 CB, and if the best player available when the Bills' first round pick comes along is a CB, it might make sense to . . .. :( Conversely, if the Bills ignore the apparent CB problem over the next few years, it will hurt them. A team should have a good #1 CB--like an Antoine Winfield--so that you're not forced to double-cover the other team's best WR.

Not only that, but if you're right about Steve Johnson, then WR becomes yet another hole to be filled. Lee Evans isn't getting any younger or better.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

The four most valued positions on draft day are QB, RDE, LT, and CB. A guy like Nix might think to himself, if CB is one of the four most premium positions, and if the Bills don't have a true #1 CB, and if the best player available when the Bills' first round pick comes along is a CB, it might make sense to . . .. :( Conversely, if the Bills ignore the apparent CB problem over the next few years, it will hurt them. A team should have a good #1 CB--like an Antoine Winfield--so that you're not forced to double-cover the other team's best WR.

I was right about one Bill's reaction prediction. Let me try another: He 100% agrees that the Bills had better draft a DB on draft day instead of picking guys who play on either line. How'd I do Bill? You love a day one DB pick no?

Don't you realize C.Biscuit? Stevie Johnson would catch every single pass that came his way if he shaved his head clean, didn't twitter, or didn't write on his shirt with a marker!!!

No one has yet to explain to me why twitter can be blamed for a player making mistakes, but that same player having a facebook account or playing a video game or reading a newspaper or sending a text message or taking a dump cannot be blamed.

Still asking the question Ramius?

I don't think that a logical person would believe that sending a twitter message will cause you to drop passes. You simplify the point too much which kills the point you are trying to make.

In the case of Stevie Johnson, there are many people who believe that he had been distracted for several weeks. He spent a lot of time with what looked to be overblown celebrations, tweeting, media apperances, etc., and then he played a bad game and basically let the team down when it counted. His own coach gave him a not-to-subtle message on humility. Some players can be in the spotlight and thrive. Maybe Stevie will be the next Neon Deion Sanders but I doubt it.

So, you can send a tweet tomorrow and play football on Sunday and not effect a thing.

The only problem I have with spiller is he needs to stop bouncing to the outside so much!

I was right about one Bill's reaction prediction. Let me try another: He 100% agrees that the Bills had better draft a DB on draft day instead of picking guys who play on either line. How'd I do Bill? You love a day one DB pick no?

Until the pick is actually made, I will in fact fear that the Bills will draft a defensive back. Logic says they won't but history tells us otherwise.

That said, if my hunch is correct, the Bills are going to draft a quarterback. Mr. Wilson sent Nix all around the country to scout qbs, am I correct? It is very hard for me to imagine him footing the bill for those travel expenses for no reason. And btw, this is NOT to bash Mr. Wilson. I am touched by his recent donations to the poor and elderly. He is a good man, and I sincerely mean this. He just has no business making football decisions imo.

Until the pick is actually made, I will in fact fear that the Bills will draft a defensive back. Logic says they won't but history tells us otherwise.

That said, if my hunch is correct, the Bills are going to draft a quarterback. Mr. Wilson sent Nix all around the country to scout qbs, am I correct? It is very hard for me to imagine him footing the bill for those travel expenses for no reason. And btw, this is NOT to bash Mr. Wilson. I am touched by his recent donations to the poor and elderly. He is a good man, and I sincerely mean this. He just has no business making football decisions imo.

Any time you draft a quarterback in the first round, you want to be reasonably confident he's going to be better than the guy you already have. With Fitzpatrick on the roster, that makes it tough for the Bills to take a QB in the first. Unless Carolina goes on a winning streak these next few weeks, odds are Luck won't be there when the Bills pick. I know that in your heart of hearts you want the Bills to take Mallett. My concern there is that while Mallett would be an improvement over Fitz in terms of arm strength, he might well be a downgrade in terms of reading defenses and making good decisions. If Mallett plays no better than Fitz, any first round pick used on him will have been mostly wasted.