Walking Dead

ajzepp

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this show is becoming tedious. I can't tell which one is actually "The Talking Dead"...

It's the writing....it is really pretty pedestrian.

I like the premise of the show enough, and some of the scenes are great...but, the writing is clunky. They have not figured out a way to add multiple themes into one scene...for instance, last week, Rick is relatively fine throughout the show, until the end when he flips out on the new "guests" in the prison... they just haven't figured out subtly, so it seems like everyone is over-acting, because they have one scene to hammer home a concept...which they may or may not come back to in a week or two...in some ways, for me, the show is like "Dexter". Great concept, and by no means awful, but it could be so much better. It's almost like they underestimate the audience ability to understand...and because they haven't really mastered subtlty, they have to have too much dialog, which sounds forced, and the perception is that we have bad actors.

Edited by Buftex

It's the writing....it is really pretty pedestrian.

I like the premise of the show enough, and some of the scenes are great...but, the writing is clunky. They have not figured out a way to add multiple themes into one scene...for instance, last week, Rick is relatively fine throughout the show, until the end when he flips out on the new "guests" in the prison... they just haven't figured out subtly, so it seems like everyone is over-acting, because they have one scene to hammer home a concept...which they may or may not come back to in a week or two...in some ways, for me, the show is like "Dexter". Great concept, and by no means awful, but it could be so much better. It's almost like they underestimate the audience ability to understand...and because they haven't really mastered subtlty, they have to have too much dialog, which sounds forced, and the perception is that we have bad actors.

I think the actors are fine, they are just given CRAP to work with. I mean, "You poisoned them agains the governer", really? I actually LOL'ed at that one. They need to figure out how to write for women on this show, nearly all of them are terrible. They have managed to take an awesome character like Michonne and reduce her to a glowering doofus.

That is the biggest issue I have so far with the writing. SO MUCH of this show's conflicts could be solved if people had actual, normal, and realistic conversations. Why the hell does everyone have the need to keep thier mouths shut, even in instances where it is in thier best interest to explain?

I think the actors are fine, they are just given CRAP to work with. I mean, "You poisoned them agains the governer", really? I actually LOL'ed at that one. They need to figure out how to write for women on this show, nearly all of them are terrible. They have managed to take an awesome character like Michonne and reduce her to a glowering doofus.

That is the biggest issue I have so far with the writing. SO MUCH of this show's conflicts could be solved if people had actual, normal, and realistic conversations. Why the hell does everyone have the need to keep thier mouths shut, even in instances where it is in thier best interest to explain?

There's too much about the show that just doesn't make sense. Like why don't they kill the walkers that are standing up against the fence? Are they just bored with it? Seems like every dead one would be a good thing and it's quick/easy kills.

And why doesn't Michonne go out and kill more? They basically stand no chance against her all spread out like they are. She can slice a dozen of them and just meander back to safety before the rest take notice.

And why are they are all milling around throughout the compound when their food is inside the fence? Shouldn't they all be stacked up, pushing against the fence and each other trying to get in? Isn't that supposed to be the MO?

All questions from about 5 seconds of the show. There's dozens of them throughout an episode.

Yeah, I've felt the same way, particularly during the second half of season 2 and most of this season. Like we're supposed to believe Rick and Lori couldn't have had a meaningful conversation about the whole Shane thing in the seven months the group was wandering between the end of season 2 and beginning of season 3? Michonne annoys the hell out of me, because she could explain the whole Governor thing to Andrea in about 30 seconds and that issue would be resolved.

I suppose not writing in these conversations is a way for them to extend the series, because all of the constant "misunderstandings" allow them to create unnecessary conflicts and tense moments.

Still, I'm terribly addicted to the show and thought last night's was pretty solid -- right up until that c**t Andrea couldn't do the deed. I was very impressed by the writing when Herschel spoke to Merle, and then when Merle spoke to Michonne. They actually attempted to resolve some conflicts there.

And, it's nice to see Rick "back"...

Yeah, I've felt the same way, particularly during the second half of season 2 and most of this season. Like we're supposed to believe Rick and Lori couldn't have had a meaningful conversation about the whole Shane thing in the seven months the group was wandering between the end of season 2 and beginning of season 3? Michonne annoys the hell out of me, because she could explain the whole Governor thing to Andrea in about 30 seconds and that issue would be resolved.

I suppose not writing in these conversations is a way for them to extend the series, because all of the constant "misunderstandings" allow them to create unnecessary conflicts and tense moments.

Still, I'm terribly addicted to the show and thought last night's was pretty solid -- right up until that c**t Andrea couldn't do the deed. I was very impressed by the writing when Herschel spoke to Merle, and then when Merle spoke to Michonne. They actually attempted to resolve some conflicts there.

And, it's nice to see Rick "back"...

I was actually screaming at the TV, shouting for the Gov to wake up and shiv the twit...

What lured me to this show in the beginning was the zombies. I was never a zombie guy and I don't read graphic novels. But this seemed different for me and I saw the reason why a dystopian setting could provide an interesting character study. Couple that with great make-up and special effects and we had a recipe for some awesome TV. The problem is that the novelty of the zombies had worn off. When I first watched the premiere, I couldn't sleep that night. I actually had my first nightmare since I was a kid after watching the webisodes about the "Bicycle Girl". But now, that doesn't get me anymore. This show is supposed to be about the survivors. Kirkman pointed this out on "Talking Dead" by saying something like, "The poster for the first season reads 'The Walking Dead' but we only show the living." It wasn't subtle. The problem is that what we have left are some pretty flat characters. There's no real depth and this is especially apparent in Michonne & The Governor, two characters that should be way more interesting than they are. I hope we get some better character development in the next 5 episodes.

Good singing from Beth, though.

There's no real depth and this is especially apparent in Michonne & The Governor, two characters that should be way more interesting than they are. I hope we get some better character development in the next 5 episodes.

Good singing from Beth, though.

I think as the show has developed they could have benefited a lot from LOST type flashbacks showing how all of the characters went from normal life to present time. Not only would it build the characters and fill some of the extremely boring time from the show, but it keeps the shock of the change alive throughout series. I'd like to see the history of Michonne and how the town got started.

I think as the show has developed they could have benefited a lot from LOST type flashbacks showing how all of the characters went from normal life to present time. Not only would it build the characters and fill some of the extremely boring time from the show, but it keeps the shock of the change alive throughout series. I'd like to see the history of Michonne and how the town got started.

I agree.

We might see this as I read that a new showrunner is taking over for Season 4 which starts filming May 6th and will premier October 2013

I really think the loss of Frank Darabont is a major issue in the pacing and direction of this series. I know lots of hard core fans were quite upset when he was fired...

Yes, the pacing of the series, has been rough since the first season ended....haven't they gone through numerous staff writing changes as well?

Co-sign. I assume you're saying you like to see them play out Michonne's story from the one in Playboy, right? If you haven't seen it, google "Michonne's story". Totally worth it.

Flashbacks would really help add depth to the characters remaining & maybe even bring back folks like Dale, Shane & T-Dog for a bit.

Co-sign. I assume you're saying you like to see them play out Michonne's story from the one in Playboy, right? If you haven't seen it, google "Michonne's story". Totally worth it.

Flashbacks would really help add depth to the characters remaining & maybe even bring back folks like Dale, Shane & T-Dog for a bit.

T-Dog: "awwww...hell naw"

Agreed...one of the better episodes in the shows' history.

I can't tell if the episode was really good, or if we are so starved for something other than whining and arguing, that this colored it somehow. Like throwing a starving man a box of saltines. (damn, these are some GOOD f'n crackers!)

I am glad that they finally gave Michonne some ability to be more than a mute, glowering, zombie hacker...

I can't tell if the episode was really good, or if we are so starved for something other than whining and arguing, that this colored it somehow. Like throwing a starving man a box of saltines. (damn, these are some GOOD f'n crackers!)

I am glad that they finally gave Michonne some ability to be more than a mute, glowering, zombie hacker...

Enjoyed it as well. The subtleties of passing the hiker twice then seeing the blood stain and picking up the back pack. Or the car suddenly engulfed in Zombies and Rick oh so casually says "cover your ears". Michonne retrieving the family photo without the need to show her decapitate a few zombies but rather focusing on Carl's emotional state. Good episode all around.

Enjoyed it as well. The subtleties of passing the hiker twice then seeing the blood stain and picking up the back pack. Or the car suddenly engulfed in Zombies and Rick oh so casually says "cover your ears". Michonne retrieving the family photo without the need to show her decapitate a few zombies but rather focusing on Carl's emotional state. Good episode all around.

Loved that aspect of last night's show...so dark and matter-of-fact. There was nary a hint of "maybe we should pick him up."

Looks like next week we get the Rick/Governor showdown.

Yes...the scene with the hitchiker was really great.... my favorite scene from the show, all-time (I think) was the one with the "businessman zombie" marching across a field, as Shane took a slight notice from the car window...nice framing for the begining and end of the show. The scene last night was a nice, reminder of the abyss that these people exist in. Honeslty, the writing was a notch above what I have come to expect from the show at this point..Rick recognizing the insanity of Morgan (guy was great on this episode) as the direction he is heading in. Big thumbs up for me...I was losing faith in the writing. Didn't notice who wrote this one, but will be curious to see if they write some more memoralble ones.

This was sort of a "bottle episode" that took us on an excursion (other than a few verbal references) from the on-going story line...it was kind of refreshing.

Yes...the scene with the hitchiker was really great.... my favorite scene from the show, all-time (I think) was the one with the "businessman zombie" marching across a field, as Shane took a slight notice from the car window...nice framing for the begining and end of the show. The scene last night was a nice, reminder of the abyss that these people exist in. Honeslty, the writing was a notch above what I have come to expect from the show at this point..Rick recognizing the insanity of Morgan (guy was great on this episode) as the direction he is heading in. Big thumbs up for me...I was losing faith in the writing. Didn't notice who wrote this one, but will be curious to see if they write some more memoralble ones.

This was sort of a "bottle episode" that took us on an excursion (other than a few verbal references) from the on-going story line...it was kind of refreshing.

I agree this was one of the better ones in a while but I wondered... why don't they just move there? It's zombie proofed and the Governor won't be involved. It would help restore a sense of normalcy for Rick, his boy, and Morgan. Just a thought...

Yes...the scene with the hitchiker was really great.... my favorite scene from the show, all-time (I think) was the one with the "businessman zombie" marching across a field, as Shane took a slight notice from the car window...nice framing for the begining and end of the show. The scene last night was a nice, reminder of the abyss that these people exist in. Honeslty, the writing was a notch above what I have come to expect from the show at this point..Rick recognizing the insanity of Morgan (guy was great on this episode) as the direction he is heading in. Big thumbs up for me...I was losing faith in the writing. Didn't notice who wrote this one, but will be curious to see if they write some more memorable ones.

Agree on the scene where Shane sees the tall walker in a suit lumbering through the field with great music playing. That was a very poignant moment for the show. I was thinking the same thing about this being a "bottle episode" while watching... "There are only 4 'actors' here. The make-up/scenery is expensive but they're saving money on SAG lines.'" Carl wanting that photo from the diner just for his little sister drove home how he's grown so fast. That's not how a normal 13 year-old thinks.

Getting some closure with Morgan was nice (Lennie James is such a superior actor, I was worried he'd destroy Andrew Lincoln but it worked out). The story about Duane & his 'Mom' was heart-breaking but just about right.

According to IMDb, we're not done with Morgan.

This episode made me think TWD is on the right path going forward.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this show suffers when its watched weekly. I've been rewatching season 3 with my daughter and even the slower episodes work better when watched as part of a mini marathon. Waiting a week after a "setup" episode can get frustrating.

I think this show suffers when its watched weekly. I've been rewatching season 3 with my daughter and even the slower episodes work better when watched as part of a mini marathon. Waiting a week after a "setup" episode can get frustrating.

I did that with season 2 and didn't mind one bit all the complaints that people said about the search for Sophia.. DVDs and streaming of shows online has really hurt the "live viewing" of tv shows. That said, I'm 3 episodes behind right now and they're still waiting for me on the DVR. I'm guessing I'll enjoy them all.

Yeah, I agree, some shows just work better in rapid succession. "Boardwalk Empire" is much the same.

Glad that I'm not alone thinking this. That being said, last nights episode was great. .

I thought the Morgan episode was excellent (particularly by Walking Dead standards), but the last two have just been "meh"...for me. Hate to say it...but I may stop watching when this season is over.

So, I just read this article on the Huffigton Post about this past weeks episode. I guess there is much more going on with this show than I realized...or maybe you have to read the comics to get the whole thing...it just confirms, for me, that the writing on this show sucks. Obviously, don't read this if you haven't seen this past weeks episode.

http://www.huffingto...l?utm_hp_ref=tv

Edited by Buftex

He got shot by the Gov. and turned into a zombie. When Daryl arrived, Zombie Merle attacked him and Daryl repeatedly stabbed him in the face.

I loved the way he used the Governors tactics against him.

The group at the prison is going to really miss Merle.......he may have thinned out their ranks but he is a good fighter and the prison group is drastically outnumbered

What they really need is Morgan and all those booby traps.