Walking Dead

ajzepp

I'm sorry if someone already posted this, but I'm pretty excited about this show tonight. It's already receiving some pretty impressive critical acclaim, and some are speculating if it may be the scariest tv show ever. Not sure about that, but I'm psyched to check it out.

It's a zombie show called "The Walking Dead". I think it's based on a popular graphic novel or something, I dunno. But it's on AMC at 10pm.

Hopefully it's as good as the hype!

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry if someone already posted this, but I'm pretty excited about this show tonight. It's already receiving some pretty impressive critical acclaim, and some are speculating if it may be the scariest tv show ever. Not sure about that, but I'm psyched to check it out.

It's a zombie show called "The Walking Dead". I think it's based on a popular graphic novel or something, I dunno. But it's on AMC at 10pm.

Hopefully it's as good as the hype!

I recorded it last night. I'm pretty curious. My friend has been hyping this for a while.

I recorded it as well - haven't watched it.

Just to add to the hype ...

It was developed by Gale Anne Hurd (James Cameron's former producing partner for Terminator, Aliens etc) and Frank Darabont. Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption) wrote and directed the 90 minute pilot episode.

You guys will have to chime in once you've watched it. I watched it last night and felt it lived up to the hype. I thought the acting was very well done, the zombies were effective, and they did a good job of creating a sense of tragedy and human loss as opposed to just having a bunch of mindless zombies being lit up by anyone with a gun. I'm a moderate fan of zombie films, but I really enjoyed this. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the series for sure.

You guys will have to chime in once you've watched it. I watched it last night and felt it lived up to the hype. I thought the acting was very well done, the zombies were effective, and they did a good job of creating a sense of tragedy and human loss as opposed to just having a bunch of mindless zombies being lit up by anyone with a gun. I'm a moderate fan of zombie films, but I really enjoyed this. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the series for sure.

Watched the pilot last night.

:thumbsup:

Looks pretty promising.

"Promising" is a pretty fair assessment. The acting was good, I thought. But the episode really wasn't that compelling, IMO. Of course it is the first episode and they are establishing the story, characters, etc. I thought this episode did a very good job at that. But for me to become a regular the stories better get more exciting pretty quickly.

"Promising" is a pretty fair assessment. The acting was good, I thought. But the episode really wasn't that compelling, IMO. Of course it is the first episode and they are establishing the story, characters, etc. I thought this episode did a very good job at that. But for me to become a regular the stories better get more exciting pretty quickly.

The difficulty is that the zombie story has been told so many thousands of times already. We've seen it all. We've seen the zombie family members. And we've watched characters struggle with the decision to kill their infected loved ones. We've even seen a guy wake up from a coma in a deserted hospital to the remnants of a zombie holocaust before (28 days). We've seen plenty of dusty houses with suicide scenarios depicted, with the obligatory suicide note written in blood on the wall. We've seen the post-apocalyptic scenarios played out. Etc...

But... I'm still interested. And zombies are still fun to me. And I think this show looks pretty good. I'm curious to see what directions it takes in the next couple weeks.

You know what scene stayed with me? Well, two of them, actually....the one where the little kid saw his mom and his reaction, and then the one where the cop went back into the park to find "halfie" crawling around. I thought that was excellent acting, and it also told you a LOT about his character without him having to say much. I also thought the direction was excellent...the way the scenes were shot was fantastic and very effective.

I really liked it. The only problem I have with it is the time(I don't have a DVR). I wish it was on at nine instead of ten. Other than that, I thought the acting was pretty good. I look forward to the next episode.

You may want to check and see about online availability. I know what you mean about the time...there are a lot of shows where if I didn't have a DVR I wouldn't ever see them. But I have relied more and more on online availability of certain shows...that can be a good back up plan, and chances are AMC or Hulu or someone will have it available.

You may want to check and see about online availability. I know what you mean about the time...there are a lot of shows where if I didn't have a DVR I wouldn't ever see them. But I have relied more and more on online availability of certain shows...that can be a good back up plan, and chances are AMC or Hulu or someone will have it available.

Great idea. Thanks AJ. :thumbsup:

Great idea. Thanks AJ. :thumbsup:

You bet :)

I know that I've had a lot of fun watching some of the CBS shows (survivor, big brother, amazing race) online, cause they have it where you can watch with other people and chat during the show. It's led to a few pretty good laughs, which made the experience more fun :thumbsup:

But yeah, with the quality of streaming these days, watching online is a great way to go, IMO.

Dude, that horse got a raw deal.

I think that once they pulled rick off the horse could have got out, but then Rick would have been the main course.

And the second episode, why did the department store have face shields in it?

Other than that it has been very good.

I think that once they pulled rick off the horse could have got out, but then Rick would have been the main course.

And the second episode, why did the department store have face shields in it?

Other than that it has been very good.

:lol: I said the same thing to my friend when we watched it

I've had the first couple of episodes sitting on my DVR for the past several weeks and I finally decided to watch 'em. I'm glad that I did because I've really enjoyed it so far. I hope it keeps my interest and from what I just heard, it's been renewed for a second season coming out next fall...13 episodes I believe. :thumbsup:

I've had the first couple of episodes sitting on my DVR for the past several weeks and I finally decided to watch 'em. I'm glad that I did because I've really enjoyed it so far. I hope it keeps my interest and from what I just heard, it's been renewed for a second season coming out next fall...13 episodes I believe. :thumbsup:

I have seen all the episodes to date. Very well done, but i don't see this show holding my interest for a very long time. There's only so much they can do, IMO, with this premise.

Me, I'm using the hacksaw to cut through the handcuff chain, not my wrist.

I believe they laid out the premise that the hacksaw was dull. So we are supposed to believe he tried but failed and resorted to cutting off his hand instead. I would of tried harder!

I would have taken the hand with me. If I got cornered by some zombies I could throw the hand to them as a distraction and give me a chance at escape.

:lol:

Me, I'm using the hacksaw to cut through the handcuff chain, not my wrist.

I believe that the reason he cut off his hand was because the walkers were breaking through the door, and he didn't have time to cut the handcuff with the dull hack saw. Ironically, when they went back to find him, the door was still locked, indicating that the walker never made it through, and that he cut his hand off for nothing.

I thought the show was quite good.

Was anyone else expecting/hoping a zombie would come out of the water when those two sisters were in the boat fishing? :w00t:

No, I am glad it didn't happen...only 4 episodes in, and they would have "jumped the shark"...

This is not at all the kind of show/movie I normally would enjoy, but I have really liked it so far, 4 shows in...I can't see it going on too long, but you never know...the zombie invasion of the camp was grusome, and the camera work was awesome.

AMC has to be pumped! They already cancelled "Rubicon" which I kind of liked too...

Edited by Buftex

No, I am glad it didn't happen...only 4 episodes in, and they would have "jumped the shark"...

This is not at all the kind of show/movie I normally would enjoy, but I have really liked it so far, 4 shows in...I can't see it going on too long, but you never know...the zombie invasion of the camp was grusome, and the camera work was awesome.

AMC has to be pumped! They already cancelled "Rubicon" which I kind of liked too...

Really? You wouldn't have thought it was funny if she thought she had a "bite", and she ended up pulling a still-moving zombie head out of the water? Or maybe the beginning of like a 30 foot segment of zombie innards? :w00t:

Really? You wouldn't have thought it was funny if she thought she had a "bite", and she ended up pulling a still-moving zombie head out of the water? Or maybe the beginning of like a 30 foot segment of zombie innards? :w00t:

Head would have been cool. It was interesting how when they cut the walkers head off it was still alive until it was shot in the brain. Pretty interesting idea. Whole new meaning to the term talking heads.....

Head would have been cool. It was interesting how when they cut the walkers head off it was still alive until it was shot in the brain. Pretty interesting idea. Whole new meaning to the term talking heads.....

lol, I know, those scenes have been pretty cool when the head is still moving. I think my favorite zombie so far was the one who was cut in half and crawling around in the park back in the first episode. I knew the series woudl be good at that point, cause the interaction that the cop had with that zombie went from creepy, to sort of humorous, to gross, to sad/empathetic. I thought it was really cool how they were able to get the viewer (well, at least THIS viewer) to feel so many different ways about 'halfie'. I was impressed by that.

Okay, last episode was alright, but I have to say this.....

How many times are they going to drive directly by military vehicles and not stock up on automatic weapons, ammo, hand grenades, etc etc?

How about jumping in the tank and seeing if it runs?

Seems like common sense to me.......

Okay, last episode was alright, but I have to say this.....

How many times are they going to drive directly by military vehicles and not stock up on automatic weapons, ammo, hand grenades, etc etc?

How about jumping in the tank and seeing if it runs?

Seems like common sense to me.......

I was thinking the same thing. How bout when they didn't get into the CDC at first, why wouldn't they all jump into a tank for the night if they were stuck in the city? There's absolutely no way a zombie could infiltrate a tank, as we saw in the first episode. I finally caught up on all episodes and I really like the show, they mix the drama with the action pretty well.

P.S. When's Merrill gonna make his appearance? It's gotta be coming in this last episode.

Also, why wouldn't Rick suggest heading to that hospital where Glen was being held captive, once they befriended "G". It seemed like an extremely safe location with plenty of people, medicine, guns, etc.

Edited by Wooderson

I was thinking the same thing. How bout when they didn't get into the CDC at first, why wouldn't they all jump into a tank for the night if they were stuck in the city? There's absolutely no way a zombie could infiltrate a tank, as we saw in the first episode. I finally caught up on all episodes and I really like the show, they mix the drama with the action pretty well.

P.S. When's Merrill gonna make his appearance? It's gotta be coming in this last episode.

Also, why wouldn't Rick suggest heading to that hospital where Glen was being held captive, once they befriended "G". It seemed like an extremely safe location with plenty of people, medicine, guns, etc.

If the tank ran, that would one of the best places to be. But how many people know how to drive a tank, is it easy? i doubt there's just a key you turn, but i have no idea. If it doesn't run, it's probably not a place where you would feel safe. Yes, they wouldn't be able to get in, but how do you know when to get out? I have been trying to think what would be the best place to be, probably on an island by boat or something. but in the city, that's tough. As far as Merrill,

he isn't back until next season

. Only 2 more episodes to go unfortunately, Dec. 5th in the season finale. And the next season probably won't pick up until the fall. So far it's been interesting and engaging, I am looking forward to next season already...

Edited by ricojes

If the tank ran, that would one of the best places to be. But how many people know how to drive a tank, is it easy? i doubt there's just a key you turn, but i have no idea. If it doesn't run, it's probably not a place where you would feel safe. Yes, they wouldn't be able to get in, but how do you know when to get out? I have been trying to think what would be the best place to be, probably on an island by boat or something. but in the city, that's tough. As far as Merrill,

he isn't back until next season

. Only 2 more episodes to go unfortunately, Dec. 5th in the season finale. And the next season probably won't pick up until the fall. So far it's been interesting and engaging, I am looking forward to next season already...

Okay, I admit, there wouldn't be a key to turn to start it up, but how hard could it be? I mean it isn't like they need to go to work tomorrow.....

So you pack for a few days, and leave other people outside of the tank nearby to rescue you if necessary. It would be time very well spent if it runs.......

So dismiss the tank idea all together, why don't they go and claim the multitude of automatic weapons, ammo, and grenades that were all over outside the CDC? I mean maybe the tank idea is too much, but an m4 or M249 would be so much better than the crappy weapons they have already.

I hope next season they go into what happened while rick was in the hospital. What caused the zombie epidemic (although I suspect a lot of this will get covered in the season finale at CDC).

Also, there are a lot of questions about what really happened when rick was in the hospital and Shane decided to steal his wife.

I have to say, even though I see some problems with the show, I really like it.........