Walking Dead

ajzepp

Okay, I admit, there wouldn't be a key to turn to start it up, but how hard could it be? I mean it isn't like they need to go to work tomorrow.....

So you pack for a few days, and leave other people outside of the tank nearby to rescue you if necessary. It would be time very well spent if it runs.......

So dismiss the tank idea all together, why don't they go and claim the multitude of automatic weapons, ammo, and grenades that were all over outside the CDC? I mean maybe the tank idea is too much, but an m4 or M249 would be so much better than the crappy weapons they have already.

I hope next season they go into what happened while rick was in the hospital. What caused the zombie epidemic (although I suspect a lot of this will get covered in the season finale at CDC).

Also, there are a lot of questions about what really happened when rick was in the hospital and Shane decided to steal his wife.

I have to say, even though I see some problems with the show, I really like it.........

What will be really interesting to see is who is out there that's not infected? How wide spread is the epidemic, is it worldwide? What gov't agencies are still functioning? Just how many weapons are still readily available? We really don't know how long Rick was in his coma, so most weapons and ammunition could be scarce. Just the City of Atlanta alone was overrun with zombies, when they panned out it was just amazing. So you would need quite and arsenal to take all of them out...

Another good story line will be the whole kill an infected love one vs let them live and hope they find a cure. Will they finish off the people that were just bit at the camp or will they let them turn into zombies? It's such a farfetched circumstance that you can't even put yourself in their shoes really. What would you do? I like to think I know, but damn that's got to be crazy. Would I think with my head and try to find heavy artillery all the while zombies are closing in on me or would I just try to save my ass and get the heck out of there? I am not even going to pretend I am that macho, I would get the bleep out of there.

The writer tried to cram everything from his comic book into the first 6 episodes, because he wasn't sure if it would be renewed and he wanted to tell a story. So now that they signed on for another season and a much longer season, I think many questions will be answered, of course I said that about Lost too....

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really surprised how much i'm enjoying this show. Today they are showing a marathon including the season finale. Ive been watching them through XBOX Zune because DTV doesn't have the HD version of AMC. Maybe tune in after the Bills game.

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2010/11/full-season-marathon.php

Watched the last edisode last night.

What do you think the doctor told Rick?

Edited by Gary M

His wife is pregnant?

Wow I never thought of that.....that would be quite a twist, and it would certainly not be Rick's.

I love this show, it is not just a zombie horror-fest, they actually delve into the drama people would be going through if in that situation. It provides a unique perspective on the zombie apocalypse.

I can perhaps provide some insight into the "Jenner whisper". It's one of two things.

1. I think that Jenner told Rick that everyone is infected. In the graphic novel, all humans are infected with whatever it is that reanimates you. Irregardless of how you die, whether it's gunshot, heart attack or being bitten, you will reanimate, unless you are shot in the head. The "Walking Dead' is not a term for those already dead (the zombies) but for the living survivors, who are dead "already".

This particular plot mechanism is important in Season 2 as it relates to Rick and Shane, and further down the road with other characters not yet seen.

Think about 1) the opening scenes of the season finale, where the Army was massacring all the patients in the hospital and then shooting them in the head as a matter of quarantine and 2) Jenner explaining that reanimation starts anywhere from minutes to hours. Getting bitten speeds up the process. 3) Jenner doing the blood tests and reporting back that there was nothing surprising in the results and 4) Jenner's overall pessimism about living.

Why the Army corporal did not shoot Rick while he was in bed...either a plot hole or that he's damn lucky.

The CDC and Jenner are a tv-only part of the plot. It's not in the novels. The novels to date, have not shown how the government fell or the origins of the infection. I love the show, and I enjoy the flashbacks. They do it as good as Lost did, and not as horrible as they are on the Event.

2. In the novel, Lori is pregnant with Shane's child. It will be a girl named Judith. The basic blood test results may have shown that.

The Wildfire and TS-19 episodes provided some plot for the second season of the show, which if it follows the books, will be more action packed.

While they were watching the video of TS-19, Jenner said that the diease kills the host and then re-animates it, So I don't think they are all infected.

Don't shoot the messenger. That's the plot device in the novel, and so far, the tv show is following the plot fairly close.

Death, by any means, is the trigger. It's just that the bites are 100% lethal, and quick to enter the bloodstream.

The quote from Issue #41

"...the rule is: WHATEVER it is that causes the zombies, is something everyone already has. If you stub your toe, get an infection and die ... you turn into a zombie. UNLESS your brain is damaged. If someone shoots you in the head and you die ...you're dead. A zombie bite kills you because of infection, or blood loss ... not because of the zombie "virus.""

You can survive a zombie bite if you amputate the part that is bitten. Dale gets bitten, and has his leg amputated by Rick later on.

I can perhaps provide some insight into the "Jenner whisper". It's one of two things.

1. I think that Jenner told Rick that everyone is infected. In the graphic novel, all humans are infected with whatever it is that reanimates you. Irregardless of how you die, whether it's gunshot, heart attack or being bitten, you will reanimate, unless you are shot in the head. The "Walking Dead' is not a term for those already dead (the zombies) but for the living survivors, who are dead "already".

This particular plot mechanism is important in Season 2 as it relates to Rick and Shane, and further down the road with other characters not yet seen.

Think about 1) the opening scenes of the season finale, where the Army was massacring all the patients in the hospital and then shooting them in the head as a matter of quarantine and 2) Jenner explaining that reanimation starts anywhere from minutes to hours. Getting bitten speeds up the process. 3) Jenner doing the blood tests and reporting back that there was nothing surprising in the results and 4) Jenner's overall pessimism about living.

Why the Army corporal did not shoot Rick while he was in bed...either a plot hole or that he's damn lucky.

The CDC and Jenner are a tv-only part of the plot. It's not in the novels. The novels to date, have not shown how the government fell or the origins of the infection. I love the show, and I enjoy the flashbacks. They do it as good as Lost did, and not as horrible as they are on the Event.

2. In the novel, Lori is pregnant with Shane's child. It will be a girl named Judith. The basic blood test results may have shown that.

The Wildfire and TS-19 episodes provided some plot for the second season of the show, which if it follows the books, will be more action packed.

I WOULD kick ur arse for not using a spoiler tag here, but since I would have read it anyway... :w00t:

Just plowed through all 6 episodes. I don't normally go for zombie stuff but I found this to be compelling. I won't be fidgeting waiting for new episodes like with "Mad Men" or "Breaking Bad" but I'll be happy to see this show return next fall. AMC seems to be hitting on all cylinders despite "Rubicon" not coming back.

I'm glad that 10 of Rubicon's 13 fans are Bills fans. :D I enjoyed that show. Started off slow, but got its legs. I put it into the bin with Jericho as shows the companies never gave a chance.

As for the Walking Dead, my apologies for not indicating the spoilers.

There's so much in the novels that can make for awesome television, and I think the first six episodes are just a tease of where this show can go.

Edited by dpberr

Wow, can't wait for next season.

Everyone being infected makes perfect sense, and his wife being pregnant is a perfect twist. Maybe both will happen, maybe not. Will definately be interesting to see.

Awesome show. I want to read the comic series/book, but also don't want to ruin the show at the same time.

This series reminds me of the Stephen King book, "the Stand"

BB:

Even if you read the novels, you'd still find the show surprising and interesting. The show throws in new wrinkles not seen in the books, (i.e Jenner and the CDC) and vice versa.

For example, the show is "showing" more about the world as it fell. The comic doesn't spend a lot of time on the topic.

You might enjoy a good book called World War Z, a tale about how countries world wide take on a zombie outbreak. It tackles some of the topics like how the military was overrun at first, how governments fell, etc.

Wow, can't wait for next season.

Everyone being infected makes perfect sense, and his wife being pregnant is a perfect twist. Maybe both will happen, maybe not. Will definately be interesting to see.

Awesome show. I want to read the comic series/book, but also don't want to ruin the show at the same time.

This series reminds me of the Stephen King book, "the Stand"

Go ahead and read them,

"Nothing in the show is going to go down exactly the same way it does in the comic," Kirkman says.

http://spoilerwatch.blogspot.com/2010/12/robert-kirkman-talks-about-last-nights.html

Now that I think about it, I really like the idea that everyone is infected, and when you die you become a walker.

This would support the story that everything was overwhelmed and overrun. If a person had to be bitten by a zombie to become one, then the govt./military/law enforcment would be able to contain the infection by killing zombies and carefully disposing of them. However if everyone is infected, and all previous dead people also were infected, then the number of zombies would be overwhelming. I think this is further supported by the woman (1/2 woman) crawling across the park in the first episode. She was obvioulsy dead for a long time (decay everywhere) and she was a walker, maybe she came out of the ground as a dead person?

Again, I can't wait for next season.

OCTOBER 2011 is what I read somewhere

:thumbdown:

WHAT??? Even after only a partial season they are making us wait almost an entire year for more? :wallbash:

That majorly sucks....I love this show

WHAT??? Even after only a partial season they are making us wait almost an entire year for more? :wallbash:

That majorly sucks....I love this show

Well, they didn't decide to have a second season until after episode 2 or 3, so now they need to write and produce the 13 episodes.

BB:

Even if you read the novels, you'd still find the show surprising and interesting. The show throws in new wrinkles not seen in the books, (i.e Jenner and the CDC) and vice versa.

For example, the show is "showing" more about the world as it fell. The comic doesn't spend a lot of time on the topic.

You might enjoy a good book called World War Z, a tale about how countries world wide take on a zombie outbreak. It tackles some of the topics like how the military was overrun at first, how governments fell, etc.

"I thought it was a great addition," Kirkman says. "I'm very much opposed to showing what the actual cause [for the zombies] is and explaining how things work, but teasing a little bit is a great thing. If it adds an extra layer to the drama, then I'm all for it.

It makes sense that Kirkman doesn't want to get bogged down in the details of the cause. It's messy on both the biological-chemistry as well as biological-evolutionary levels. Re-animation? Okay, I guess you could say anaerobic bacteria could be responsible for something, but re-animating brain tissue deprived of oxygen for up to 8 hours stretches credulity. Also, a mutation/infection that leads to the cannibalization of the living would not be very good for the general population, right? Or can zombies reproduce? This reduces the whole thing to the "Red Death" that EAP covered.

Of course, I'm over-thinking it but that's what the TS-19 episode makes you do. Nice to see Noah Emmerich getting work, though. :thumbsup:

I enjoyed "The Walking Dead" much more than I anticipated...I hope this latest news about the show is good news, and not bad news...

http://screenrant.com/the-walking-dead-fires-writers-aco-89980/

http://spoilerwatch.blogspot.com/search/label/The%20Walking%20Dead

"Because we didn’t have a two-season order going in, all of the writers were able to and did sell and set up other projects. That’s the way it works in television."

"But that’s typical. And absolutely there will be writers back who were on the first season"

http://spoilerwatch.blogspot.com/search/label/The%20Walking%20Dead

"Because we didn’t have a two-season order going in, all of the writers were able to and did sell and set up other projects. That’s the way it works in television."

"But that’s typical. And absolutely there will be writers back who were on the first season"

Yes, there have been conflicting reports on the plan for the writers. Some sources make it sound as though they were "fired", and that they intend to go completely with free-lance writers. If that is the case, it is not that typical of modern television. Either way, here is to hoping the story stays fresh! :thumbsup:

Go ahead and read them,

"Nothing in the show is going to go down exactly the same way it does in the comic," Kirkman says.

http://spoilerwatch.blogspot.com/2010/12/robert-kirkman-talks-about-last-nights.html

In an Entertainment magazine he eludes to the same, stating that comic readers may not have the insider knowledge they think they have. Also the article explains why it's going to take time to release the second season:

"Before he begins hashing out next season, Darabont says he's like to figure out how the series will ultimately end. That's an ironic concern, considering The Waling Dead was conceived as the never-ending zombie saga. That may work in comics, but not so much in the category of serialized television."

While a lot will come from the books, it will not be exact. For example a couple characters from the comic are rumored to make an appearance next season, but how the characters play out will be unique. At any rate, I have confidence that the show will continue to be intriguing to say the least. I have enjoyed the first season and really looking forward to the next!

• 3 months later...

Since AMC re-ran the entire first season, I decided to see if there are any podcasts out there. And, of course, there are tons.

Here's one where the participants are fans of both the graphic novel and the TV show: Walking Dead Podcast

Here's one from "ThisWeekIn.Com" that even had "Jim" for one show (YouTube Channel): ThisWeekInWalkingDead

It's a long way off but with all the turmoil in the world right now, we may as well get ourselves focused on the inevitable zombie apocalypse. :thumbsup:

Since AMC re-ran the entire first season, I decided to see if there are any podcasts out there. And, of course, there are tons.

Here's one where the participants are fans of both the graphic novel and the TV show: Walking Dead Podcast

Here's one from "ThisWeekIn.Com" that even had "Jim" for one show (YouTube Channel): ThisWeekInWalkingDead

It's a long way off but with all the turmoil in the world right now, we may as well get ourselves focused on the inevitable zombie apocalypse. :thumbsup:

lol, maybe this "show" isn't really meant for entertainment as much as it's meant to be training videos for future reference!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

AMC is running season 1 right now as a lead-up. Season 2 starts at 9 PM EDT with a 90 minute premiere. Are you ready to get your geek on?

Also - you can stop making Bills defense "Walking Dead" jokes. I've worn out that theme. ;)

Interesting. I've always been fascinated by zombies (I have read the zombie survival guide and have already started planning for a zombie apocalypse) so I'll have to check it out.

You'll love it, man...the show lived up to and exceeded all expectations I had for it last year :thumbsup:

Interesting. I've always been fascinated by zombies (I have read the zombie survival guide and have already started planning for a zombie apocalypse) so I'll have to check it out.

if your interested, I know of many great zombie apocalypse books - just let me know...one to start ya off is World War Z (which is being made into a movie right now)

that sequence in the beginning with the zombie herd was amazing. Rest of the ep didn't live up to the tension created in the first 20 minutes, but how could it? My main complaint about season one was how terrible the characters were. Bunch of dummies still being racist/lazy/spouse abusing. Seems like the zombie apocalypse would change your perspective a bit. Luckily very little of that tonight save Lori's unease at scavenging the cars. Also slightly misogynistic in how useless all of the female characters are in every single situation. They seem to exist only to complain/get saved.

My big problem with last night's episode is that in an emporium of *lightly used* rides, they stick with that busted 70s Winny.

An interesting thing I caught last night was that I had first believed that once you were dead, regardless of how, you were reanimated unless you were shot in the head.

I believed that is what Jenner told Rick in the season finale.

That doesn't appear to be the case with some of the dead people on the highway staying dead and not reanimating. (the hatchet man in the F-150)

The helicopters in the season preview also caught my eye.

that sequence in the beginning with the zombie herd was amazing. Rest of the ep didn't live up to the tension created in the first 20 minutes, but how could it? My main complaint about season one was how terrible the characters were. Bunch of dummies still being racist/lazy/spouse abusing. Seems like the zombie apocalypse would change your perspective a bit. Luckily very little of that tonight save Lori's unease at scavenging the cars. Also slightly misogynistic in how useless all of the female characters are in every single situation. They seem to exist only to complain/get saved.

You've never lived in the south, eh?