Walking Dead

ajzepp

that sequence in the beginning with the zombie herd was amazing. Rest of the ep didn't live up to the tension created in the first 20 minutes, but how could it? My main complaint about season one was how terrible the characters were. Bunch of dummies still being racist/lazy/spouse abusing. Seems like the zombie apocalypse would change your perspective a bit. Luckily very little of that tonight save Lori's unease at scavenging the cars. Also slightly misogynistic in how useless all of the female characters are in every single situation. They seem to exist only to complain/get saved.

I disagree, if anything, an apocalypse will bring out the WORST in just about everyone. One of the themes explored to a very large extent in this show's comics (which we seem to be following VERY closely with the show, last night included) is how "good" people like Rick struggle to not become animals in order to survive. If this show goes down even HALF the roads that are in the comic series, this will be a very, very dark, depressing, and violent show. You think wife beating is bad? Just wait my friend...

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree, if anything, an apocalypse will bring out the WORST in just about everyone. One of the themes explored to a very large extent in this show's comics (which we seem to be following VERY closely with the show, last night included) is how "good" people like Rick struggle to not become animals in order to survive. If this show goes down even HALF the roads that are in the comic series, this will be a very, very dark, depressing, and violent show. You think wife beating is bad? Just wait my friend...

I've read the comics too, so I know what to expect to an extent. But the wife/child abuser (who was thankfully killed off like what, ten minutes after being introduced?) felt very cliche. As if he couldn't find anything else more concerning than dinner not being ready on time. I suppose my main concern with the show is the characters not attempting to understand the situation they find themselves in. Last night's episode was a huge step in the right direction with the redneck hunter saving the black guy's life (don't feel like looking up the character names). That's not something I would have seen last season. In fact I am happiest with how Norman Reedus's character has moved beyond his initial hillbilly stereotype. Now if the female characters can do something beside 1) cry. 2) try to kill themselves 3)complain and 4)cry while doing steps 2 and 3, the show will be one of the best on air.

sidenote: anyone watch Talking Dead, that weird little live talk show about the night's episode? Not particularly enlightening, but a fun show nonetheless.

You've never lived in the south, eh?

yeah, I lived in Oklahoma for 3 years. You're right...nothing is changing those people's minds. Sorry, "minds."

I've read the comics too, so I know what to expect to an extent. But the wife/child abuser (who was thankfully killed off like what, ten minutes after being introduced?) felt very cliche. As if he couldn't find anything else more concerning than dinner not being ready on time. I suppose my main concern with the show is the characters not attempting to understand the situation they find themselves in. Last night's episode was a huge step in the right direction with the redneck hunter saving the black guy's life (don't feel like looking up the character names). That's not something I would have seen last season. In fact I am happiest with how Norman Reedus's character has moved beyond his initial hillbilly stereotype. Now if the female characters can do something beside 1) cry. 2) try to kill themselves 3)complain and 4)cry while doing steps 2 and 3, the show will be one of the best on air.

sidenote: anyone watch Talking Dead, that weird little live talk show about the night's episode? Not particularly enlightening, but a fun show nonetheless.

yeah, I lived in Oklahoma for 3 years. You're right...nothing is changing those people's minds. Sorry, "minds."

Within the first month after moving to Atlanta, I was in line at a movie where a guy two or three people back started talking openly about how "lions and monkeys don't hang out together in nature", so black people and white people shouldn't have to hang out in America. I respectfully pointed out that lions and monkeys were different species, whereas black people and white people were not. It was the first of several very uncomfortable experiences I've had since moving here.

Edited by ajzepp

that sequence in the beginning with the zombie herd was amazing. Rest of the ep didn't live up to the tension created in the first 20 minutes, but how could it? My main complaint about season one was how terrible the characters were. Bunch of dummies still being racist/lazy/spouse abusing. Seems like the zombie apocalypse would change your perspective a bit. Luckily very little of that tonight save Lori's unease at scavenging the cars. Also slightly misogynistic in how useless all of the female characters are in every single situation. They seem to exist only to complain/get saved.

They just cannot allow the blonde to think about hairi kari.....gotta repopulate the species

Within the first month after moving to Atlanta, I was in line at a movie where a guy two or three people back started talking openly about how "lions and monkeys don't hang out together in nature", so black people and white people shouldn't have to hang out in America. I respectfully pointed out that lions and monkeys were different species, whereas black people and white people were not. It was the first of several very uncomfortable experiences I've had since moving here.

:w00t: Once in Oklahoma, in the book section of a store called Hastings, I overheard one guy in camouflage everything tell his buddy "books is for faggots and queers." Still one of the strangest sentences I've ever heard.

Moral: fingers crossed on the zombie apocalypse starting in the south

thought the episode after the first half hour was pretty weak...I realize its gotta build stories and such, but man....45 minutes of just trying to find this little girl?

In that live talk show, Talking Dead, there was an online survey dedicated to how much time you would spend looking for someone's child during a similar situation. 99.9% voted would not look at all. .1% voted until child was found. I don't know why that gives me faith in humanity, but it kind of does

:w00t: Once in Oklahoma, in the book section of a store called Hastings, I overheard one guy in camouflage everything tell his buddy "books is for faggots and queers." Still one of the strangest sentences I've ever heard.

LMFAO!!!!

Realism increases immersion. :thumbsup:

I just caught the last 2 episodes of the first season and the opener of season 2. I have not watched a new TV series in a few years so I am excited! By the way, was Jenner the assistant coach in Miracle?

haha! I once heard two guys in Wilson, NC talking to each other at a gas station after a big freeze/snow:

"yeah man, I got this ice **** figured out, you gotta start out slow and build your speed up"... :lol:

Edited by TheMadCap

thought the episode after the first half hour was pretty weak...I realize its gotta build stories and such, but man....45 minutes of just trying to find this little girl?

I thought it was the best episode yet. Looks like Rick got his "sign" from god! :rolleyes:

Beyond just looking for the girl, this episode showed that there are factions growing in the group, and, their leader is beginning to question himself... for such a silly show, I am amazed at how real this show feels. Not normally the kind of thing I like, but I really like this show. If it devolves into some campy, schlock (see "True Blood" which had some potential) I couldn't watch. To me, it is just a solid sci-fi/action-adventure show.

I thought it was the best episode yet. Looks like Rick got his "sign" from god! :rolleyes:

Beyond just looking for the girl, this episode showed that there are factions growing in the group, and, their leader is beginning to question himself... for such a silly show, I am amazed at how real this show feels. Not normally the kind of thing I like, but I really like this show. If it devolves into some campy, schlock (see "True Blood" which had some potential) I couldn't watch. To me, it is just a solid sci-fi/action-adventure show.

Same here...I was riveted the entire 90 min of this premiere...and I still can't believe how much I love this show. As I said earlier in the thread, I've never really been all that into zombie films/shows. But this story has completely captivated me...I'm so glad it's back! Based on the previews for the season, it looks like rough waters ahead for these folks. Can't wait!

Same here...I was riveted the entire 90 min of this premiere...and I still can't believe how much I love this show. As I said earlier in the thread, I've never really been all that into zombie films/shows. But this story has completely captivated me...I'm so glad it's back! Based on the previews for the season, it looks like rough waters ahead for these folks. Can't wait!

Exactly right, because the show isn't really about Zombies. It's about the people who are left trying to save a shred of thier humanity in a world where it is much easier to become animals. Stay tuned...

After I got past the idea of this herd just popping up, I loved the episode.

Zombies are slow (and smelly), how the hell did they get that close without Dale seeing them from the top of the Winny?

In that live talk show, Talking Dead, there was an online survey dedicated to how much time you would spend looking for someone's child during a similar situation. 99.9% voted would not look at all. .1% voted until child was found. I don't know why that gives me faith in humanity, but it kind of does

It's easy to take the tough guy stance in an online poll!

After I got past the idea of this herd just popping up, I loved the episode.

Zombies are slow (and smelly), how the hell did they get that close without Dale seeing them from the top of the Winny?

It's easy to take the tough guy stance in an online poll!

I would say the tough guy stance would involve actually looking for the child. The realistic stance is: "sucks, but not my problem. Too many things out there are trying to eat my face"

I know what side I'm on

I would say the tough guy stance would involve actually looking for the child. The realistic stance is: "sucks, but not my problem. Too many things out there are trying to eat my face"

I know what side I'm on

I don't know...a "Walking Dead" talk show? If the poll was that lopsided, you have to wonder how many people voted... :rolleyes:

I don't know...a "Walking Dead" talk show? If the poll was that lopsided, you have to wonder how many people voted... :rolleyes:

oh tens of people I'm sure. A large cross section of comics nerds and terminally bored. Groups known for their bravery

Edited by Astrojanitor

Math suggests that at least 501 people voted and they rounded.

I'm sure those were facetious results, but the quips from Patton Oswalt & James Gunn were funny enough. For a more thorough discussion, I recommend www.talkingdeadpodcast.com

Thoughts from last nights episode? By the way, will that little girl be lost the entire season or what?

Last night's episode flew by. I am into the show more this season than last. This farm house thing is curious...just seems way too intact for there not to be something going on, especially when the walkers were all over that school just a few miles away like it was a freak convention. I thought the scene where the blonde chick is walking along in the woods, and then out of NOWHERE there is a walker coming right up next to her was brilliant direction. That was easily my favorite scene of the night.

What I love about this show is that even though the plot sort of slowed down a bit with the missing kid and the kid who took a bullet, they still give us what we want - awesome zombie action! I just don't remember these things being this fast last season...when those two guys (I think I just realized that I don't know a SINGLE name of these characters lol) were running away with the medical supplies, a few of those zombies were HAULING ASS.

Last night's episode flew by. I am into the show more this season than last. This farm house thing is curious...just seems way too intact for there not to be something going on, especially when the walkers were all over that school just a few miles away like it was a freak convention. I thought the scene where the blonde chick is walking along in the woods, and then out of NOWHERE there is a walker coming right up next to her was brilliant direction. That was easily my favorite scene of the night.

What I love about this show is that even though the plot sort of slowed down a bit with the missing kid and the kid who took a bullet, they still give us what we want - awesome zombie action! I just don't remember these things being this fast last season...when those two guys (I think I just realized that I don't know a SINGLE name of these characters lol) were running away with the medical supplies, a few of those zombies were HAULING ASS.

Good pinoint about the farmhouse folks. Really odd they appear so unconcerned about the carnage and untouched by it. Methinks something ain't right.

Thoughts from last nights episode? By the way, will that little girl be lost the entire season or what?

Not sure what direction they're taking, which is a very good sign. I don't like being able to see through the plot and predict. That's why I liked LOST so much. I think it's very likely they will not find the girl and her mom and one or two others stay behind to look for her when the group moves on.

Not sure what direction they're taking, which is a very good sign. I don't like being able to see through the plot and predict. That's why I liked LOST so much.

Amen to that!

LOL, I was like holy crap, it was like the end scene of every Benny Hill episode.....definitely not Michael Myers speed! Something is up with the old dude and the black guy as well, he was really freaking me out when he got all racist. I really like the show and look frward to it every Sunday night!

LOL, I was like holy crap, it was like the end scene of every Benny Hill episode.....definitely not Michael Myers speed! Something is up with the old dude and the black guy as well, he was really freaking me out when he got all racist. I really like the show and look frward to it every Sunday night!

Same here, man...I just hope that when we get to the episodes after Darabont was dismissed from the project that the quality doesn't drop off. Based on the season preview, it looked like there is a lot of you know what gonna hit the fan, so I hope it's a great ride!

My theories:

T-Mac (the black guy) got infected when the red-neck put the dead body on top of him in the season's first episode. Noticed, they made a point in this weeks episode during the "last week on Walking Dead" segment of showing him with the gaping wound in his arm...

The conversation between Rick and the vet was a little strange...the vet says that man-kind has been hit with plagues throughout history, and they are god's way of evening things out. I think the vet is the one who started the plague that is wiping everyone out...just a hunch. Definitely something up with that guy, and his family...also, there were all of those cars piled up on the highway, dead people, none of them zombies...close to the vets house....I dunno, something suspicious about that to me...or maybe I just think too much about this stuff...I heard the creator of the show, on that gawd-awful "talking dead" thing afterward say that not everyone who dies becomes a zombie...if they suffer brain damage, their bodies can't regenerate, so they just die...no living dead for them.

Also, I think that little girl (Sophia?) is going to end up being the victim of some experiment from the vet...not sure about the boy.

Other question I have...when they mentioned going to the school for supplies, the fat guy says "that place was overrun a while ago" or something like that. If they go back, and it is still overrun, what keeps the zombies there? I am no zombie genre aficionado, but it seems like the zombies are just constantly looking for fresh flesh and blood to devour, and they have good appetites. So, what would keep them by that school so long? What are they feeding on there? There are a lot of them there...

My theories:

T-Mac (the black guy) got infected when the red-neck put the dead body on top of him in the season's first episode. Noticed, they made a point in this weeks episode during the "last week on Walking Dead" segment of showing him with the gaping wound in his arm...

The conversation between Rick and the vet was a little strange...the vet says that man-kind has been hit with plagues throughout history, and they are god's way of evening things out. I think the vet is the one who started the plague that is wiping everyone out...just a hunch. Definitely something up with that guy, and his family...also, there were all of those cars piled up on the highway, dead people, none of them zombies...close to the vets house....I dunno, something suspicious about that to me...or maybe I just think too much about this stuff...I heard the creator of the show, on that gawd-awful "talking dead" thing afterward say that not everyone who dies becomes a zombie...if they suffer brain damage, their bodies can't regenerate, so they just die...no living dead for them.

Also, I think that little girl (Sophia?) is going to end up being the victim of some experiment from the vet...not sure about the boy.

Other question I have...when they mentioned going to the school for supplies, the fat guy says "that place was overrun a while ago" or something like that. If they go back, and it is still overrun, what keeps the zombies there? I am no zombie genre aficionado, but it seems like the zombies are just constantly looking for fresh flesh and blood to devour, and they have good appetites. So, what would keep them by that school so long? What are they feeding on there? There are a lot of them there...

Did you guys notice the color of the crystal meth in Merle's bag? Walt's recipe has made it as far as Georgia!

Buftex, in due time you'll soon see how what Dr. Herschel said in relation to plagues and cures relates to what's discovered on the farm.

Ha! No doubt. I believe you and I are the only actives in this thread who have read all the books?

My theories:

Great points.....I am really looking forward to seeing how this season turns out!

I don't think they search for food, they tend to herd and do what hey "know" from when they where alive, so a large group hanging out at the school makes sense.

Every attack so far has seemed to be opportunistic.

Same here, man...I just hope that when we get to the episodes after Darabont was dismissed from the project that the quality doesn't drop off. Based on the season preview, it looked like there is a lot of you know what gonna hit the fan, so I hope it's a great ride!

Not to many shows suck me in like this one. Really enjoying it. I'm hoping the rednecks brother who sawed his own arm off makes his way back in the story somehow.

Not to many shows suck me in like this one. Really enjoying it. I'm hoping the rednecks brother who sawed his own arm off makes his way back in the story somehow.

I do too, cause that guy is actually a very good actor. It would be great to see him show up again.

Well he should be the best actor as he appears to have been in a lot more movie projects the the rest of the crew....:)

Check out his imdb

Yeah, he's had lots of practice :)

Buftex, in due time you'll soon see how what Dr. Herschel said in relation to plagues and cures relates to what's discovered on the farm.

HEY!!! Insider information!!!!

Amen to that!

For as much as I like this show and Fringe, and the 1st seasons of Eureka and Warehouse 13, these just reinforce how far above the bar LOST was. Man I miss that show.

For as much as I like this show and Fringe, and the 1st seasons of Eureka and Warehouse 13, these just reinforce how far above the bar LOST was. Man I miss that show.

Earlier tonight I was pulling up my entire streaming history on Netflix...all of a sudden I saw a ton of 5 star ratings in a row and I realized that it was ALL the episodes from the first five seasons of Lost one after the other after the other lol. I had never seen a single episode, and then I watched - literally - all five seasons in a row over the course of several weeks. It was a blast!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I'm not sure what's going on, but the last two episodes of this show have sucked. Is it just me? Was this the point when Darabont got the shaft? I dunno, but it's boring me to tears. Boring dialogue, then people go out in the woods looking for the girl (again), someone gets shot, people freak, the end. Tonight there was like ten mins of boring banter between the cop and the head shaved guy about girls they banged in H.S...mmmkay.

Let's get this back on track, people.