Edwards/Fitzpatrick

With Fitzpatrick's recent resurgence under Gailey, I can't help but wonder what Edwards would be doing right now if they would have been a little more patient with him. I still think the kid has all the physical tools and he went to Stanford so we know he's capable mentally to play quarterback in the NFL. I say we try and bring him back at some point- perhaps not until after the season as I realize Fitzpatrick has a nice rhythm going right now. But next year I'd like to see the job handed back to Edwards and see what this kid can do with an offense that can actually function. It will probably require re-structuring his contract as I'm sure we could get him pretty cheap right now. Not to mention this would solve the long-term question at QB and we could focus strictly on defense in the first round. It's almost too simple. Git r' done Buddy!

With Fitzpatrick's recent resurgence under Gailey, I can't help but wonder what Edwards would be doing right now if they would have been a little more patient with him. I still think the kid has all the physical tools and he went to Stanford so we know he's capable mentally to play quarterback in the NFL. I say we try and bring him back at some point- perhaps not until after the season as I realize Fitzpatrick has a nice rhythm going right now. But next year I'd like to see the job handed back to Edwards and see what this kid can do with an offense that can actually function. It will probably require re-structuring his contract as I'm sure we could get him pretty cheap right now. Not to mention this would solve the long-term question at QB and we could focus strictly on defense in the first round. It's almost too simple. Git r' done Buddy!

It amazes me that people who watch football their whole lives have no clue what they are watching.

You are aware that he is now on the Jaguar's roster, right?

I supported Edwards and thought he might have the "it" factor, but eventually the "it" was preceded with an "s" and an "h".

So what if he went to Stanford. Assuming he's an intelligent guy doesn't necessarily mean he has the temperment to be a great QB. His big weakness was his inability to find open receivers downfield. Worse than that, he never had any confidence in his receivers that they could outmanuver the defenders, so unless they were WIDE OPEN (translation: the DB slipped and fell)Edwards was prone to dump it off to someone in the backfield for a 2 yard gain.

I honestly don't believe that it can be coached into a player. They tried with Johnson, Losman, and even went so far as to use a frigging alarm clock in practice, attempting to fix Bledsoes timing.

Edwards had his chance. He's through with the Bills and probably as an NFL player before long.

Edited by DML2005

Man, I thought i was the only one thinking this. I also think that now that Chan has gottten his play calling rtythm down, Cornell Green deserves a 2nd chance.I mean after all, those first few games were rough for evryone, and i am sure he feels a debt of gratitude to Buddy and will come cheap

Man, I thought i was the only one thinking this. I also think that now that Chan has gottten his play calling rtythm down, Cornell Green deserves a 2nd chance.I mean after all, those first few games were rough for evryone, and i am sure he feels a debt of gratitude to Buddy and will come cheap

What? Cornell Green was awful. Some people are clueless.

not in your life time.

your whole suggestion is dumb. even if edwards played for free. no one wants him. fitz is playing well. edwards had many chances. he's just not good. get it in your head.

Dude, Edwards was a 3rd round pick, Fitzpatrick was a 7th round pick. That should tell you something about their potential right there.

I am also thinking Mike williams might want to come back on the cheap. After all, he was going to be a starter on the Redskins last year till he got hurt was told he should not play anymore..but still guy was a 1st rounder

Hey look, it's Crayonz lite!!!

I love these threads. I said it when he was Starting here...and I'll say it again. Edwards is nothing but a below average backup QB. He might not even be backup material at this point.

I'd be amazed if he ever starts another game in this league (other than an emergency backup).

you cant be serious with this

and how does someone who is 31 call another person who is 27 a kid?

Dude, Edwards was a 3rd round pick, Fitzpatrick was a 7th round pick. That should tell you something about their potential right there.

And that's your basis used to start this unbelievable thread?

Fitz has a brain, that can actually make a "read" in real time. He has confidence, courage, moxie, which are all things that are alien to Edwards. If Fitz had an arm and mechanics that didn't abandon him as frequently as they do, he very well could be a great QB. Alas, his accuracy is his Achilles heal, but to think for even a nanosecond that Edwards could be doing what Fitz is doing, maybe even better, is the most ridiculous thing posted here in years.

I've taught at some high-ranking colleges and I can tell you that not everyone at Stanford is smart. That said, I don't even think the Harvard thing has much to do with Fitzpatrick's eye for the field. That's a special intelligence. Kelly had it, too, even though he ignored what he saw sometimes and threw brutal picks. One has to know the other team's defensive strategy (they can't change that much week to week) and then be able to ignore the smokescreens they set up. The crucial part is that split second after the snap, to be able see the whole field and where everyone is breaking and then make a decision. Trent just couldn't do that. Maybe it was the concussion.

I'm quite sure Edwards is more than 'smart' enough to play QB in the NFL. It's football, not rocket science and, with all due respect, guys like Marino and Kelly, were smart NFL QBs, too. But nobody will mistake them for Rhodes scholars.

Edwards is smart enough but he isn't anywhere near 'mentally capable' as you suggest. There's a world of difference between being smart enough and mentally capable enough. IMHO, his biggest problem is confidence. He's totally lost that and it all starts there.

GO BILLS!!!

I'll take it that you're joking.

Holy crap I just started sleeping at night!

I praise you 24/7!!! And this how you do me!!! You let Metzelaar_lives post here!!! You expect me to learn from this???How??? I'll never forget this!! Ever!! Thx Tho

Current Edwards is probably a lost cause.

I would have liked to have seen Chan work with Trent before he got concussed, then something might have developed. But after the concussion... something changed in him, imo (even with the occasional good game).