Did George Edwards sit down with Wade Phillips

1B4IDie

During the game I think Solomon Wilcots said that George Edwards sat down with someone and discussed the differences between a 3-4, and 4-3, because George Edwards was so familiar with a 3-4.

It sounded like he said Wade Phillips, no one in the bar could really hear the discussion.

Did anyone hear that discussion?

He could have said something completely different it was hard to hear in the crowded bar.

George Edwards was Wade's LB coach in Dallas, did George give Wade a ring for some help now that Wade is sitting around on Sundays?

The Defense has been blitzing more the last few weeks and showing different looks lately.

I would take Wade back as a DC in a heartbeat.

I remember one time when he was here he installed a 4-3 for one game, I forget who it was against, and it worked brilliantly. It might have been out of necessity (injuries) but it spoke to his ability to adjust and teach.

He's not my kind of head coach, but he's a brilliant defensive mind.

I remember one time when he was here he installed a 4-3 for one game, I forget who it was against, and it worked brilliantly. It might have been out of necessity (injuries) but it spoke to his ability to adjust and teach.

He's not anyone's kind of head coach. I always said that he was excellent when all he had to do was run the defense. When he was HC and had to manage everything, his teams underachieved.

However Buddy Ryan or Wade Philips didn't come out of the womb coaching.

George Edwards is clearly not a great D-Co, however my respect for him ticked up a bit if he is realizing he is struggling and he consuled people in his network for help.

Considering the better defensive fronts and blitzing schemes the last few weeks George Edwards may be learning too.

I'm still not convinced he is a capable D-Co yet but it does appear that he is starting to make adjustments based on his personnel.

This is George Edwards first stint as an NFL D-Co and he gets to learn and get better at his job just like anyone else on the team or in NFL history.

Its up to him to prove he can handle the position.

He was kind of naive in the beginning, thinking he can just make a switch to 3-4 overnight, now he appears to making do with the talent he has and running a scheme that better fits the players he has.

Edited by Why So Serious?

George Edwards is clearly not a great D-Co, however my respect for him ticked up a bit if he is realizing he is struggling and he consuled people in his network for help.

Considering the better defensive fronts and blitzing schemes the last few weeks George Edwards may be learning too.

I'm still not convinced he is a capable D-Co yet but it does appear that he is starting to make adjustments based on his personnel.

This is George Edwards first stint as an NFL D-Co and he gets to learn and get better at his job just like anyone else on the team or in NFL history.

He was kind of naive in the beginning, thinking he can just make a switch to 3-4 overnight, now he appears to making do with the talent he has and running a scheme that better fits the players he has.

I posted weeks ago when wade phillips was in danger of losing his job, that we should attempt to get him back. maybe he can be the one to get maybin to reach his potential, and maybe Merriman would want to play in buffalo, if he had his old coach and who better to evaluate Merrimans remaining ability.

During the game I think Solomon Wilcots said that George Edwards sat down with someone and discussed the differences between a 3-4, and 4-3, because George Edwards was so familiar with a 3-4.

It sounded like he said Wade Phillips, no one in the bar could really hear the discussion.

Did anyone hear that discussion?

He could have said something completely different it was hard to hear in the crowded bar.

George Edwards was Wade's LB coach in Dallas, did George give Wade a ring for some help now that Wade is sitting around on Sundays?

The Defense has been blitzing more the last few weeks and showing different looks lately.

No, I believe Wilcots said Mike Philips...I mean Mike Williams...I mean Mike Wallace...

In all seriousness, reaching out to him is fine with me. Does anyone notice that Donte is being blitzed a couple of times a game to great results. Go figure.

I posted weeks ago when wade phillips was in danger of losing his job, that we should attempt to get him back. maybe he can be the one to get maybin to reach his potential, and maybe Merriman would want to play in buffalo, if he had his old coach and who better to evaluate Merrimans remaining ability.

I'd rather have Wade as a "consultant" for Edwards.

Merriman and Maybin's careers are likely over. This team doesn't need dead weight.

Maybin needs to gain 30-40 pounds to be relevant. He is a beanpole out there and a liability. He was only in for 3 plays last week, that were likely passing plays and he got pancaked on 2 of them partially allowing for a Roethlisburger's 18 yard stroll. Then he has held by Scott on the 3rd, Scott is a horrible tackle, we know this, against decent tackles he will be tossed to the ground.

You can't put Maybin out there for more plays because any semi intelligent QB or O-Co would just run right at him.

Achilles injuries used to be career killers prior to the 90s. Now for the few that have come back, Cadillac Williams being the only person to come back from 2 and came back in less than a year, its a 2 year injury until the strength and confidence is truly back. Merriman is on 3 years now.

I'd rather hire Merriman as an assistant LB coach then give him a 4th year to come back.

Those roster spots are better used with Jeremy Beal, Dontay Moch, Acho, Mason Foster, Wayne Daniels, Martez Wilson, or Akeem Ayers through the 2011 draft.

Edited by Why So Serious?

No, I believe Wilcots said Mike Philips...I mean Mike Williams...I mean Mike Wallace...

In all seriousness, reaching out to him is fine with me. Does anyone notice that Donte is being blitzed a couple of times a game to great results. Go figure.

I know we were joking in the bar Erik Flowers . . . err Mike Williams . . . I mean Aaron Maybin got held.

One of the great "what ifs" in Bills history: What if Wade was the DC for that Super Bowl run?

One of the great "what ifs" in Bills history: What if Wade was the DC for that Super Bowl run?

The market value of swizzle sticks would have taken a dramatic downward spiral, resulting in layoffs. :P

WHAT IF we had had Ted Marchibroda as our offensive coordinator for the entire Jim Kelly-led Bills teams in the 90's?

WHAT IF we had kept Bill Polian instead of the finance guy?

Damn, there are some what ifs with regards to management, huh?

Is it OK that our new DC has to ask a former coach how to run this 3-4?

It sounded like he asked how to run a 4-3 and yes it is OK for a rookie D-Co to ask for help.

It is not OK for a rookie D-Co to not ask for help and continue to fail.

It sounded like he asked how to run a 4-3 and yes it is OK for a rookie D-Co to ask for help.

He might be in his first year with the Bills but he's no "rookie" as he served as the Redskins D-coordinator in 2003. His D ranked 24th in points against and was fired the next season, year before as assistant D-coordinator/LB coach his D finished 21st in points against. For what it's worth the year after he was fired the Redskins finished 5th in points against. I'm not blaming everything on Edwards as think we really lack quality players but at the same time I wonder how good the D could be if Perry Fewell was still around with his bend but don't break D.

It wasn't for 1 game...it was for half a season...but he didn't have a whole lot of time before the home game against the Fish to install it...Spielman got hurt against the Broncos and then Covington got hurt in practice so Wade had a few days to install a 4-3 with John Holocek as the MLB and Sean Moran moving in as the UT next to NT Ted Washington...they actually went with the 4-3 in 98 as well until a few games into the season when they decided they needed to get Cowart on the field and went back to the 3-4

No matter, the BILLS have not seen 8-8 since Wafe left!

8-8 in 2002

9-7 in 2004...you were saying?

Edited by The_Philster

He might be in his first year with the Bills but he's no "rookie" as he served as the Redskins D-coordinator in 2003. His D ranked 24th in points against and was fired the next season, year before as assistant D-coordinator/LB coach his D finished 21st in points against. For what it's worth the year after he was fired the Redskins finished 5th in points against. I'm not blaming everything on Edwards as think we really lack quality players but at the same time I wonder how good the D could be if Perry Fewell was still around with his bend but don't break D.

The defense has been improving throughout the season. The halftime adjustments the last few weeks have been outstanding. Morons were ready to run Fewell out during his first season and he had a former DC as a head coach. Edwards doesn't have that luxury and Gailey was the one wanted the 3-4 switch.

We have a lot of young players on defense. With another draft and potentially a top 5 talent added, this defense has some good potential. It just amazes me how short some fans' attention spans are (not you in particular but in general). If a guy doesn't have a top 5 defense out of the gate, he obviously sucks and needs to be replaced.

The defense is improving and considering the best college team of the last 5 years wanted him to be their DC, the guy does have some talent. Let's give him a chance before running him out.

Zone Blitzes, the first half of the season we blitzed really badly and it didn't look like a zone scheme.

To me it is, the difference in the "new" D the last few weeks (besides playing the 4/3 3/4 hybrid). For some reason Edwards doesn't run them as much in the 1st half, I don't know why that is.

I thought it was pretty observant of Solomon Wilcox to say something about it during the last game.

I have no opinion or idea about Wade but I am pretty sure RW wouldn't hire him and he wouldn't want to come here.

Is this the definition of rookie as applied to Trent Edwards here?

George Edwards was DC of the Washington Redskins. That means he isn't a rookie. Nor does it make him experienced as a DC. Couple that with a HC that lacks a lot of experience as an NFL HC and who has spent his career as an offensive coach, and you have an inexperienced DC feeling his way in the dark. It's a smart thing he is asking for help from someone, though his hiring in the first place is highly suspect.

True, and a very intelligent assessment. Coaches - just like players need to work very hard at understanding their craft by networking, going to and hosting coaching clinics and studying the intricacies of the game.

It'll never happen. Not in a million years. Let's just say that Ralph and Wade don't see eye-to-eye.

He made the switch from 4-3 to 3-4 with the Dolphins in one year. But at that time the fish had the talent to do it.

Nope. Just like it is not OK for you to ask someone for help when you get a new job. Really...did you just ask that question? :wallbash:

As others have pointed out, he's no "rookie" and NFL DC is not an entry level job. It is usually reserved for a select few who are chosen based on their experience and past results. It's not a "hey, what do you think I should do?" job, in my opinion.

So, yeah--I really did ask that question.

As others have pointed out, he's no "rookie" and NFL DC is not an entry level job. It is usually reserved for a select few who are chosen based on their experience and past results. It's not a "hey, what do you think I should do?" job, in my opinion.

So, yeah--I really did ask that question.

What I am saying is that no matter what job you have there is always learning to do. If the "non-rookie" DC has never run a 4-3 defense then yeah he needs to ask someone.

Who the hell cares if Edwards asked Phillips for help, as long as its freaking working, that's fine with me.

His defense is giving up almost 4 TDs a game and is ranked in the bottom 5th in the League. They have 4 ints and only created 12 TOs overall. They are, by far, the worst team in the league against the run. Their pass defense is helped by the fact that they rank 28th in passes attempted against them.

It's not working very well.

If Edwards wanted to know how to run the 4-3 in Buffalo, he should have asked Fewell, who did it just fine only a year ago.