What's up with the media?

Got_Wood

For a game that didn't mean anything, it's kind of odd that Steve Johnson's drop is on the cover of the Yahoo and ESPN home pages. Are they feasting on another man's misfortunes, or is it something else? Is it because "God" was involved in Stevie's tweet after the game? Kind of odd to make an example out of someone when so many other events went on in this sports filled weekend. How about the Andre Johnson vs. Cortland Finnegan fight, or the complete breakdown by Peyton Manning, or the rise of the other Peyton (Hillis)???

For ESPN to say "This is why the Bills are 2-9" is not a fair thing to put in Steve Johnson's lap. If ESPN wanted to say "This is why the Bills are NOT 3-8" -- THAT would be a more fair statement (though still inaccurate because this is still a team sport). Steve Johnson has been a bright spot on this team. Also, one guy is never the reason a team loses. While it sure looks that way in this case, this is still a team sport and the Bills had plenty of other squandered opportunities. This one just has the misfortune of standing out.

Johnson will recover from this and so will the Bills. At this point, wins and losses are not so critical. To see the Bills compete like they did is extremely encouraging. They are still learning to win. They will continue to improve and so will Johnson.

Edited by ChasBB

He thrust himself into the spotlight with his breakout game and antics last week. This week, he's finding out that the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

it's definitely the religious component. i've never heard of an athlete calling out god for their misfortune, especially on twitter. it's both hilarious and bizarre -- perfect media fodder.

For ESPN to say "This is why the Bills are 2-9" is not a fair thing to put in Steve Johnson's lap. If ESPN wanted to say "This is why the Bills are NOT 3-8" -- THAT would be a more fair statement (though still inaccurate because this is still a team sport). Steve Johnson has been a bright spot on this team. Also, one guy is never the reason a team loses. While it sure looks that way in this case, this is still a team sport and the Bills had plenty of other squandered opportunities. This one just has the misfortune of standing out.

Johnson will recover from this and so will the Bills. At this point, wins and losses are not so critical. To see the Bills compete like they did is extremely encouraging. They are still learning to win. They will continue to improve and so will Johnson.

Actually it IS why the Bills are 2-9, because every game it seems they put themselves in a position to win and one or two players, often good ones, seem to make a major gaffe at the worst time that snatches defeat from the jaws of victory. I have a good feeling about the team and the direction and Stevie Johnson right now despite the losses.

I watch the games with a great group of Bills fans at a Bills backers bar. After the Ravens game, when Shawn Nelson lost the fumble, I turned to a girl I watch the games with who is a great fan and I said, "I've been watching the Bills for 50 years. I thought I saw everything and every way they could possible lose. There has been a million ways this team has lost a game. But this is a new one."

She turned to me and said, "It's now a million and one."

The next week against KC I think we both just said "It's a million and two."

Yesterday, it became a million and four.

But again, I think we're on the right track. I think we MAY have the right coach. We MAY have the right QB for now. We MAY have a decent OL soon. We are starting to find some playmakers, including the goat of the week Steve Johnson. Maybe soon those one or two plays will be made to win the game, not lose it.

Actually it IS why the Bills are 2-9, because every game it seems they put themselves in a position to win and one or two players, often good ones, seem to make a major gaffe at the worst time that snatches defeat from the jaws of victory. I have a good feeling about the team and the direction and Stevie Johnson right now despite the losses.

I watch the games with a great group of Bills fans at a Bills backers bar. After the Ravens game, when Shawn Nelson lost the fumble, I turned to a girl I watch the games with who is a great fan and I said, "I've been watching the Bills for 50 years. I thought I saw everything and every way they could possible lose. There has been a million ways this team has lost a game. But this is a new one."

But again, I think we're on the right track. I think we MAY have the right coach. We MAY have the right QB for now. We MAY have a decent OL soon. We are starting to find some playmakers, including the goat of the week Steve Johnson. Maybe soon those one or two plays will be made to win the game, not lose it.

Agree, these TYPES of things is the reason the Bills are 2-9. This team could easily be 8-3 or at least 7-4 right now were if not for stupid things they do to themselves week-in and week-out. I'm just saying that Stevie is not the reason they are 2-9. He's had a great season.

exactly. usually i'm fairly confident that they'll find a way to lose in the most heartbreaking and moronic manner imaginable. that feeling of doom is fairly ingrained.

yesterday, for the first time in forever, i was sure that they were actually going to beat a good team in ot. i thought that they had finally turned the corner on these types of losses after the cincy and detroit games. of course, we got burned again.

at some point you need to stop "learning" how to win and actually do it. i think we're all fairly exhausted of watching opposing players step up while our guys stumble.

For a game that didn't mean anything, it's kind of odd that Steve Johnson's drop is on the cover of the Yahoo and ESPN home pages. Are they feasting on another man's misfortunes, or is it something else? Is it because "God" was involved in Stevie's tweet after the game? Kind of odd to make an example out of someone when so many other events went on in this sports filled weekend. How about the Andre Johnson vs. Cortland Finnegan fight, or the complete breakdown by Peyton Manning, or the rise of the other Peyton (Hillis)???

One can argue that the game did mean something. The Steelers are in the middle of the AFC North division race and have a monsterously huge game at Baltimore next week. Had Pittsburgh lost yesterday, next week's game would be pretty much a must-win for them and would have determined whether they could win the division or would have to settle for a WC spot.

Since they won and are still tied with the Ravens, it hypes the game as the biggest of the year for both teams.

In the grand scheme of the NFL, it's not a huge story, but it's pretty darn close.

the media panders to the religious community because they're easy to sucker into watching/listening. all you need to do is mention god. especially if it's in a negative way.

im surprised that its making such news as well. even on the front page of CNN.com. but i guess everyone is that desperate for a "hook".

God is goat.

He's really been getting way too much credit for the success of these pro athletes for decades and rarely gets the blame for blowing it.

Lets face it. God put the ball in Fitzpatrick's hands. God called the right play (clever of Him IMO to just use one WR and use play action). God made a perfect pass. And with the game in God's hands, God dropped the ball. End of story.

the media panders to the religious community because they're easy to sucker into watching/listening. all you need to do is mention god. especially if it's in a negative way.

im surprised that its making such news as well. even on the front page of CNN.com. but i guess everyone is that desperate for a "hook".

I agree with you. It's a large impressionable audience that gets caught up in events like this. ESPN is owned by Disney, one of the largest corporations in the world. They know what generates a buzz and what doesn't. Try Googling "steve johnson god" and see what comes up first. Fox News, TMZ, etc. I can't stand the media. Bloodthirsty, schadenfreude, greedy, money hungry... all of the above.

Of course it's why we are 2-9.

We don't have the right players to make the right plays at the right times.

Stevie, Fitz, etc are all good in their own rights, but they all stumble when it matters. Hopefully one of these years, we get the right guys.

Probably won't happen for another 10 years at least.

That is, if the Bills continue to exist.

Of course it's why we are 2-9.

We don't have the right players to make the right plays at the right times.

Stevie, Fitz, etc are all good in their own rights, but they all stumble when it matters. Hopefully one of these years, we get the right guys.

Probably won't happen for another 10 years at least.

That is, if the Bills continue to exist.

Young guys who should get better every year. I see Stevie being our go-to guy for years to come as long as he can stay away from being an Ochocinco/TO "look at me" type of player, and try and be more of a Andre Reed/Jerry Rice work ethic type of player.

Young guys who should get better every year. I see Stevie being our go-to guy for years to come as long as he can stay away from being an Ochocinco/TO "look at me" type of player, and try and be more of a Andre Reed/Jerry Rice work ethic type of player.

I sincerely hope so.

But as it is right now, no one on our team seems to have any clutch. We always screw up when the game is on the line.

You don't lose 4 games by 12 points by chance. :(

Edited by Dorkington

God is goat.

He's really been getting way too much credit for the success of these pro athletes for decades and rarely gets the blame for blowing it.

Lets face it. God put the ball in Fitzpatrick's hands. God called the right play (clever of Him IMO to just use one WR and use play action). God made a perfect pass. And with the game in God's hands, God dropped the ball. End of story.

I agree.

On this one, Allah not so ahkbar.

Are you kidding? The media is going to try to do whatever they can to make a story bigger than it is. It's just what they do.

Not sure who asked the question at the press conference yesterday, but they seemed to be trying to make some drama out of Stevie not paying attention to the game after his drop. The only thing I can guess is that they wanted to say that all he cared about was himself and gave up on the team after the drop.

I love the fact, that even though God doesn't seem to have much regard to little children dying in all manner of horrific ways, how many people think God cares about whether someone catches a football or not- or a million other trivial little things.

:thumbsup:

I also love it, equally, how religious people never complain when athletes praise god, after a big win, or big play...that should be equaull offensive to them, no?

Edited by Buftex

I agree with you. It's a large impressionable audience that gets caught up in events like this. ESPN is owned by Disney, one of the largest corporations in the world. They know what generates a buzz and what doesn't. Try Googling "steve johnson god" and see what comes up first. Fox News, TMZ, etc. I can't stand the media. Bloodthirsty, schadenfreude, greedy, money hungry... all of the above.

This accurately explains "What's up with the media?"

ESPN was already on it's way out of being a great sports network over a decade ago. If I want to see 20 minutes (out of a one hour broadcast) devoted to the The Favre Chronicles, or LeBron mania I'll tune in, otherwise it's print/web media for my sports news.

Stevie is young. Hopefully he matures both in his faith and on the field.

ESPN was already on it's way out of being a great sports network over a decade ago. If I want to see 20 minutes (out of a one hour broadcast) devoted to the The Favre Chronicles, or LeBron mania I'll tune in, otherwise it's print/web media for my sports news.

You mean even though it is one of if not the most successful and profitable networks in the history of broadcasting, and while other networks are scrambling to adapt to a new media it is still as popular if not more so than ever?

And I don't hardly ever watch ESPN.

I love the fact, that even though God doesn't seem to have much regard to little children dying in all manner of horrific ways, how many people think God cares about whether someone catches a football or not- or a million other trivial little things.

Bible says God cares about everything that has to do with his creation.

Edited by purple haze

Shadenfreude. They can't get enough of it. They build you up just to tear you down.

PTR

They built Stevie up?? I thought he did that himself last week.

I don't understand this thread. Everyone was so excited to read about him and see him on TV last week. Why "blame the media"? No one would have put him on their covers if he hadn't had a juvenile twitter breakdown after a tough game.

Didn't see Peyton Manning doing that stupid sh**t after his stinkbomb last night (or last week).

You mean even though it is one of if not the most successful and profitable networks in the history of broadcasting, and while other networks are scrambling to adapt to a new media it is still as popular if not more so than ever?

And I don't hardly ever watch ESPN.

This is entirely my opinion of course.

By the way, Disney/ABC/ESPN et al could market a flaming turd and half of America would be really into flaming turds.

This is entirely my opinion of course.

By the way, Disney/ABC/ESPN et al could market a flaming turd and half of America would be really into flaming turds.

That is totally untrue. All studios and TV networks market flaming turd shows and flaming turd movies every single day. 99% of America completely ignores the vast majority of them, and jump all over a few of them.

Not to mention that Disney bought ABC just so they could have the real prize, which was ESPN.

That is totally untrue. All studios and TV networks market flaming turd shows and flaming turd movies every single day. 99% of America completely ignores the vast majority of them, and jump all over a few of them.

Not to mention that Disney bought ABC just so they could have the real prize, which was ESPN.

Well I guess our ideas about what constitutes a flaming turd may differ and that's another can of worms entirely. Go Bills!