Tight End

It is becoming glaringly obvious that TE is a tremendous weakness for this team. Unfortunately, besides Kyle Rudolph, it doesn't appear that there will be many good prospects available in this draft. Rudolph will likely go anywhere from mid 1st round to early 2nd round, but I highly doubt that the Bills would use their 2nd round pick on a TE. I agree with many on this message board that we need to draft defense, defense, and then more defense in the early rounds. That being said...does anyone know of any potential mid to late round "gems," or perhaps any good TE's that will be available during free agency?

How glaring a weakness is it when you have a WR corps and RB who can catch like we do? How many throws would a TE get in this offense?

If we did have an elite TE I'm sure Chan would work him into the offense. But even the best teams don't have Pro bowlers at every position. Besides we need more blocking from our TE because of the shaky O-line.

As a blocking TE Dave Martin is doing a decent job. We have bigger glaring needs than TE right now.

PTR

I would like to ad a couple of big block te's, Nelson will be fine as the pass catcher . I guy like matt speath might be worth taking a flier on the cheap , anohter option is jeff king he might cost double of Spaeth .

Edited by bkc

See Munch's thread below on Wisconsin senior Lance Kendricks - the Badgers are playing for a piece of the Big 10 title on TV this Saturday, so you can watch him AND Gabe Carimi.

(JStranger76 also mentioned that Raider TE Zach Miller will be a FA - unless the Raiders lock him up first.)

I'd also like to see what current TE Shawn Nelson can do in a full season under the new regime - I haven't given up on the guy yet.

How glaring a weakness is it when you have a WR corps and RB who can catch like we do? How many throws would a TE get in this offense?

If we did have an elite TE I'm sure Chan would work him into the offense. But even the best teams don't have Pro bowlers at every position. Besides we need more blocking from our TE because of the shaky O-line.

As a blocking TE Dave Martin is doing a decent job. We have bigger glaring needs than TE right now.

PTR

I gotta disagree here Promo.....I dont think Martin is doing even a adequate job in blocking....he missins SOOOO many downfield blocks.

Chan works his offense around what he has....if he had a Tight End that could block and catch he would work him in.

PTR

I disagree. We get ZERO offensive production from the tight end position, and saying that Dave Martin is doing a decent job as a blocker is being generous. We certainly do not NEED to have a pro-bowl TE, but a good pass-catching TE would add another dimension to this offense. I know we have more glaring needs to address, but ignoring the TE position all together would be a mistake. Despite all of the weapons at his disposal, I'm certain that Chan could find some touches for him.

I gotta disagree here Promo.....I dont think Martin is doing even a adequate job in blocking....he missins SOOOO many downfield blocks.

Chan works his offense around what he has....if he had a Tight End that could block and catch he would work him in.

+1

Look at the Patriots! Hate to say it, but they use their TEs pretty well!!

yea and chan was notorious for not really getting gonzalez involved with the offense

Gonzalez is a rare talent. While our TE's are no stars, it's a bit unfair to compare him to our TE's. Gonzalez was often the focus of KC's passing attack. Since Edwards was dumped, it's quite clear, our WR's have become the focus, and the way they've been playing, it's with good reason.

Preston Dial at Alabama isn't very big but he is unusually strong. He didn't get many chances on a team with a great running game and Julio Jones, but he might be worth a look in the later rounds.

If nothing else, his strngth and agility would make him appear to be a beast on special teams.

yea and chan was notorious for not really getting gonzalez involved with the offense

Gonzalez is a rare talent. While our TE's are no stars, it's a bit unfair to compare him to our TE's. Gonzalez was often the focus of KC's passing attack. Since Edwards was dumped, it's quite clear, our WR's have become the focus, and the way they've been playing, it's with good reason.

I'm assuming the first post was sarcasm, since Gonzalez had his 4th, arguably his 3rd, best season in 2008 under Gailey. Personally I think that the lack of involvement of Nelson has to do with all the time he missed due to injury and suspension, while Martin was a late addition.

PTR

Come on! our Tight Ends suck and suck badly. Remember when we had McKeller and Metzelaars. 2 Great TE. That was the hey day of the Bills. Even Riemersma was a Pro Bowler. He added so much more to our offense. TE is a valuable position. It adds another dimension that the opposing team has to prepare for. If there are no Impact ones in this years draft then, Hell I'd go out and trade for one in heartbeat if we could.

If we had a good TE that could block and be effective in the passing game our offense would be even more potent. Then we could line up with 2 WR sets and the defense wouldn't be able to automatically think "run play". A TE that could stretch the field and block would be be huge for us if we could finally find one. I'd love to be able to snag Rudolph in the 2nd, but there is no guarantee that he's even going to declare as he is only a Junior. Zach Miller would be great, but I doubt the Raiders let him walk.

Some upcoming free agents:

Zach Miller

Owen Daniels

Kevin Boss

Marcedes Lewis

Obviously, I would love to have either Zach Miller or Mercedes Lewis, but I doubt either player will make it to free agency. The oft-injured Owen Daniels and Kevin Boss would also be tremendous upgrades. Really, it would be nice to get any of these players.

IMO, we really need a legitimate blocking/pass catching tight end opposite Shawn Nelson. This would add another dimension to our offense, as we would be able to run or pass the ball out of 2 tight end, power formations. I have not yet given up on Nelson.

You never know, they might hit free agency.

Vernon Davis and Antonio Gates were supposed to be free agents, but each already got new contracts this year. The fact that they are not yet resigned suggests it's not a lock they will stay put.

But yes, there is a fair chance they will resign.

It is becoming glaringly obvious that TE is a tremendous weakness for this team. Unfortunately, besides Kyle Rudolph, it doesn't appear that there will be many good prospects available in this draft. Rudolph will likely go anywhere from mid 1st round to early 2nd round, but I highly doubt that the Bills would use their 2nd round pick on a TE. I agree with many on this message board that we need to draft defense, defense, and then more defense in the early rounds. That being said...does anyone know of any potential mid to late round "gems," or perhaps any good TE's that will be available during free agency?

I haven't thought that far ahead. Like we discussed last off-season, there are too many whole on this team to fill with one draft. And quite frankly, not much has changed. It would be great to have a Bavaro or Metzelaars type of guy, but we have bigger fish to fry right now. Maybe there's a "find" out there someplace...

+1

Look at the Patriots! Hate to say it, but they use their TEs pretty well!!

The two TE set with both are good at catching and blocking is using the strength of your players. Bellicheat* is a very smart coach! I want one FA and one drafted both well rounded. It is a copycat league after all.

Disagree with the OP. It's not becoming obvious. It's been a glaring weakness for a long time. Freaking Lonnie Johnson, Robert Royal Crowned, etc. come immediately to mind as jokers at the position.

Absolutely. The Bills have not had a good tight end since Pete Metz. Many posters praise Riemersma. He could get open but he had bad hands and couldn't block.

I think all of us would like to see tight ends that make pass catches. However, one thing that should be pointed out that the TEs in the Bills offense are called upon to block, and block quite a bit. Note, there has been better pass and run blocking in the resurgence of the past 4-5 weeks, and a huge part of that is the fact the TE are first blockers, pass-catchers second.

That being said, it would be nice to see them more involved in the offence. And like a few have already said, I agree that Nelson is more than capable, but he missed significant game, and even more significant, practice time. I do think he is the long-term answer, and Stupar is an adequate back-up; thus, in my opinion, there is no need to waste a draft pick on a tight end. The Bills have far more pressing needs.

I think we already have our "gem" in Shawn Nelson assuming he learns and can handle his blocking assignments. In college he was used more as a receiver and was never asked to block. As a "receiving" Tight End he is a beast...unfortunately due to his current poor blocking, he rarely sees the field, and when he does defenses know that they won't be running.

I still like Rob Gronkowski now of the Patriots.

He would have been a solid selection for us. He blocks well and catches well. And he's from Williamsville.

How do we keep missing on these?

I would disagree with the opening post, however, and state that we don't need to draft simply defense often and early to fix our ills. My ranking is for either a QB or a top-tier, clone-of-Bruce-Smith pass rushing defensive end at the #1 spot. Maybe another defensive lineman in round 2 or 3.

Then we need to get to work on solidifying our LB corp and offensive line. WR seems ok for now (especially w/Easley and Parrish coming back from IR), and RB should be fine. We need to find that QB of the future to start grooming, and we need a dominant pass rush. And you can never go wrong getting more offensive lineman that can play.

I still like Rob Gronkowski now of the Patriots.

He would have been a solid selection for us. He blocks well and catches well. And he's from Williamsville.

How do we keep missing on these?

Again, we can draft his brother Glenn (supposedly the best athlete of the 5 brothers) in 2014...

Gronkowskis rode high on Sunday - Williamsville family celebrated three NFL wins and a college commitment (Bucky Gleason/Buffalo News)

Edited by The Senator