Nix speaks

Dear Harvey:

You have a skewed version of history. Said teams drafted well for years, then succeeded after the coaching changes.

You are wrong, but we still love you anyways

Regards,

Adam

Ted Ginn and John Beck were good draft picks? I'm sure Mead, Doc and Biscuit all agree, but that doesn't make you right.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ted Ginn and John Beck were good draft picks? I'm sure Mead, Doc and Biscuit all agree, but that doesn't make you right.

They already were pretty good when they made those mistakes- they build a great offensive line. I called ted Ginn a bust before he was drafted, same as Maybin

I would venture to say a few of your core guys would be Fred Jackson, Kyle Williams, and Terrence McGee.

I agree , Terrance and Fred have already recived contract extensions.... I would say Kyle is better than Good, he is one of our best,,,

Nix is following the Butler/Nix blueprint of the Chargers, circa 2001. None of this should surprise anybody on this board. Bills West to Chargers East.

I know patience is low, especially with how this season began, but "the" plan worked in San Diego, and I don't see any reason why it won't work here.

Rebuilding again, that's all they do at one bills dr. How much time do you have and how much time does the owner have?

They already were pretty good when they made those mistakes- they build a great offensive line. I called ted Ginn a bust before he was drafted, same as Maybin

Parcells drafted Long. They have one starter left on the OL from before Parcells. Incognito they picked up off Nix's scrap heap.

I shouldn't argue with an idiot, but I have a thing about people who have a half million posts spewing stupidity

Edited by BADOLBILZ

that was my thought, too. but they can be criticized for going the long way about doing things.

i appreciate Nix and Gailey saying they need to re-evaluate, but they're doing so at the expense of an entire season.

wouldn't rule out any other moves at this point, given how they're dumping players that don't fit. i wouldn't put it past them to wrangle another draft pick before Oct. 19. however, that's only a guess at this point.

jw

Thanks John, I have to think both Nix and Chan are somewhat surprised at how little talent we have now that it's the real season. They can be criticized for that but it's what moves they make in the next few weeks that will be the measure of what kind of FO we really have.

Is it just me or does he sound like Ross Perot?

Everything that he said makes sense and was honest. There is a lot of work to do. They are building through the draft, and I think that they had in mind all along that if Trent didn't work out that they would draft a quarterback next year. I'm sure they wanted to see whether they could coach Trent up because he has looked good in spurts, but he just doesn't have the confidence anymore.

I'm not sure that they received any good offers for Marshawn before since people thought they would cut him because of the off the field stuff.

I'm curious to see how much rope they give Maybin. He is definitely a project, and he was a mistake to draft where they did. For a fifth rounder, maybe, but with all the other people available, he was a classic draft mistake. They were thinking he would turn into Jevon Kerse, which he didn't.

It will take time, and I have more confidence since they have a real GM now, but we'll see.

Thanks John, I have to think both Nix and Chan are somewhat surprised at how little talent we have now that it's the real season. They can be criticized for that but it's what moves they make in the next few weeks that will be the measure of what kind of FO we really have.

It's midseason. Not the kind of options you have in the offseason. Short of cutting ties with more players that are better than their replacements, I don't know how much more impact they will have right now. They aren't dealing from strength at the trade table, that's a certainty.

The time to mold your team is the offseason. The Bills made themselves weaker by cutting ties with players like Owens, Incognito and Scott and being almost completely stagnant in FA(with the exception of the horrendous Cornell Green). They also lost Schobel, but we'll chalk that up to him simply not wanting to play as opposed to having requested an extra day each week at home instead of practice.

Nix has actively made this team worse this year. They are undeniably less talented than last season and that took some doing. Kelsay and Green are arguably(but barrely) the worst players on defense and offense, respectively and they both have Nix' stamp of approval.

Rebuilding again, that's all they do at one bills dr. How much time do you have and how much time does the owner have?

The entire future of the franchise rests on the shoulders of a soon to be 92 year old man. As inconvenient as it is, this is reality for Bills fans. Everything else is secondary when discussing the success or failure of the team.

The entire future of the franchise rests on the shoulders of a soon to be 92 year old man. As inconvenient as it is, this is reality for Bills fans. Everything else is secondary when discussing the success or failure of the team.

92 years old. Lockout looming. Stadium lease expiring. And, the Bills decide to play 20 exhibition games to evaluate the players that got Dick Jauron fired. :blink:

Sounds like a plan to me. <_<

It's midseason. Not the kind of options you have in the offseason. Short of cutting ties with more players that are better than their replacements, I don't know how much more impact they will have right now. They aren't dealing from strength at the trade table, that's a certainty.

The time to mold your team is the offseason. The Bills made themselves weaker by cutting ties with players like Owens, Incognito and Scott and being almost completely stagnant in FA(with the exception of the horrendous Cornell Green). They also lost Schobel, but we'll chalk that up to him simply not wanting to play as opposed to having requested an extra day each week at home instead of practice.

Nix has actively made this team worse this year. They are undeniably less talented than last season and that took some doing. Kelsay and Green are arguably(but barrely) the worst players on defense and offense, respectively and they both have Nix' stamp of approval.

What you say is mostly true and as I noted they deserve some criticism for it. But I disagree that little can be done in the time we're in. It's true that the replacements are not as good as the present starters. But that's just for now. They have upside the starters don't have and need to play to improve. I'd move Stroud, Whitner and others to capture some picks and lose Green and a few others and play the rooks. Don't lose 10 to 12 games with vets and has-beens, play your draft picks and be better for it next year.

Edited by Green Lightning

Thanks John for the intel.  I stand corrected in my assertion that the team responded to Sullivan's column.

Correction may not be necessary

hard to believe that Sully's column was not written the day before and leaked to the Bills since it was on-line early in the morning

Yes, what is frustrating is Nix doesn't begin to predict how long the rebuild will take. I get that we need to rebuild but we've been hearing that for years. He says he's gonna get there but IMO they already wasted nine months by not knowing what any analyst or serious fan knew. They wasted a lot of time coming to obvious conclusions. They better pick up the pace. Just because you are rebuilding doesn't mean you are making progress. Look at Detroit who has been horrific for many years and may finally be making legitimate improvement. Please tell me we aren't spiraling into that!

92 years old. Lockout looming. Stadium lease expiring. And, the Bills decide to play 20 exhibition games to evaluate the players that got Dick Jauron fired. :blink:

Sounds like a plan to me. <_<

Well said.

I don't think any of the new regime really spent much time studying the players they had in the off-season. It's like they're now learning about them on the fly, when they could have been looking at thousands of hours of film.

It also doesn't excuse why none of their draft picks are contributing.

Oh, but, let's stay the course....right to 2-14.

nope, Maybin is no Merriman. Merriman came last in the process by way of one of the picks acquired in the Manning trade.

Not sure why you would be "sick" about the team turning it's ways around? We'd be LUCKY to have the success the Chargers have had over the last few years, winning their division, making the playoffs. To the point that they fired Marty because their main worry was winning in the playoffs! Can you imagine THAT being our biggest problem?!?! :thumbsup:

Also, not to push people any closer to the ledge, but in 2002 and 2003 the Chargers used the #5 and #15 overall picks on...

CORNERBACKS!

Including our own Drayton Florence. Amazing how few games they won with like Seau, Rodney "Late elbow" Harrison and Jamal Williams on that defense. Butler and Co. did a great job turning around that franchise. The were right in keeping AJ Smith as the head honcho, but damn that guy is a hard-ass.

The fact is that watching film of guys like Edwards tells nothing. Nix, Gailey and co. needed time to see him live in THEIR system, to properly evaluate him. Anyone who is rational knew that we were going to have a top five pick this year.

We didn't have a QB, OL or WR's and we were switching from an undersized 4-3 to a 3-4 defense. It takes time to get players. The bashing is getting to the level that Jauron was bashed for losing without good players.

I perdict if there is a season next year, we will have a QB that we take with the first pick and will win 4-5 games, behind terrible OL/DL that are somewhat better from this year. The following year, we probably get near .500 and it takes off from there.

Spiller was a great pick, because he is really the only playmaker we have on the roster- Lynch and Jackson are nice players that will get you 4 yards a pop if there is blocking- which is very important too, but you need guys who will make plays, unless you want just a handful of wins per year.

I read the article and am disappointed and feel duped.

I remember when Buddy was hired he said we "were close" and was going to get us there. Now he says it's a long slow re building process "through the draft". Now we're talking 3 or 4 years.

He also said he was going to bring in a 4th QB to "compete with these guys" and brings in a 7th round draft choice who from what we saw in pre season is no where near prime time.

In the draft we pick at the #9 pick a guy that does what we already do well, run the football and run back Kickoffs.

Coach Gailey said he was going to try real hard to win to establish a winning attitude here. Then he start Marshawn for 3 weeks to just to show him off so we can trade him for peanuts even though he knew he had no future in buffalo. And Trent "to see" if he can do anything. He had 34 games on film that could have told him that. These guys live off film and can't answer anything until they "watch the tape" so I don't buy that they couldn't tell from the game tapes they had.

It's all starting to make sense now. Lose on purpose to get a high draft next year.

So we want to be like San Diego. When was the last time they went to the Super Bowl? They're competitive, that's cool I guess.

I had such high hopes for these guys and they may be right. I hope so, but it's going to be long 3 or 4 years and there's no guarantee it will work.

Philadelphia Eagles never had to go through this and have remained good. The Stealer haven't had to. The Giants haven't bottomed out. The Bears and packers have either been good or remained competitive for at lest 10 years. Vikings were able to build on the talent they had to become good. I can't think of too many that have made it work. San Diego sortof. The Colts about 13 years ago. Anyone else? The Lions have been doing it for at least 12 years. they're 0-4 just like us. Chiefs have been at for a while. they're 3-0, but then again so were we in 2008 and Denver in 2009.

Oh well, I'll believe it works when the wins start to roll in.

Edited by reddogblitz

Correction may not be necessary

hard to believe that Sully's column was not written the day before and leaked to the Bills since it was on-line early in the morning

Huh? Considering that John Wawrow stated that he was informed of Thursday's presser at 6pm Wednesday and the Sully piece was posted online at 11:12pm Wednesday I'm not sure what you mean. Furthermore, who would leak it to the Bills and for what purpose?

Inquiring minds.

Edited by Punch

Dear Harvey:

You have a skewed version of history. Said teams drafted well for years, then succeeded after the coaching changes.

You are wrong, but we still love you anyways

Regards,

Adam

No, you are delusional and make things up to suit your views

Where do you guys get this stuff from... the Miami Dolphins went 1-15 and they were bad only because of bad coaching?.... that the team was filled with great players because they had great drafts previous to the bad coach? What a bunch of horseshit!

But Buffalo's problem is just the opposite of the Dolphins-Ravens-Falcons, they have fantastic coaches and bad players? Dude, you seriously need to get a grip on reality, Chan Gailey sucks, AVP and even Turk Schonert were better at game planning and running the Bills offense the last two years. This guy was brought in to specifically improve the offense...he made it worse!

I read the article and am disappointed and feel duped.

I remember when Buddy was hired he said we "were close" and was going to get us there. Now he says it's a long slow re building process "through the draft". Now we're talking 3 or 4 years.

He also said he was going to bring in a 4th QB to "compete with these guys" and brings in a 7th round draft choice who from what we saw in pre season is no where near prime time.

In the draft we pick at the #9 pick a guy that does what we already do well, run the football and run back Kickoffs.

Coach Gailey said he was going to try real hard to win to establish a winning attitude here. Then he start Marshawn for 3 weeks to just to show him off so we can trade him for peanuts even though he knew he had no future in buffalo. And Trent "to see" if he can do anything. He had 34 games on film that could have told him that. These guys live off film and can't answer anything until they "watch the tape" so I don't buy that they couldn't tell from the game tapes they had.

I agree with what you're saying here. I would also like to point out an example of Nix talking out of both sides of his mouth yesterday. On one hand he says that accepting losing isn't tolerable then he goes on to say that his plan to turn things around is "not a speedy" but "painful" route. Doesn't that mean that Buddy himself is prepared to deal with losing for at least a couple of seasons? :unsure:

And I'm so sick of the lowered expectations that this organization and so many of its fans aspire to. The goal shouldn't be "to get this thing turned around" or "to get on track". The goal should be to do what it takes to field a division champion. That's how you make the playoffs, BY WINNING YOUR DIVISION. Is there anyone from the "sunshine and lollipops" gang that can tell me how they expect to win this division under this current regime? The Patriots are entrenched at the top and they have two picks in each of the first four rounds of next year's draft. How are you going to catch them by employing the "not speedy but painful" method? Both the Jets and Dolphins have backups that would be starters on our team.

This franchise is woefully inept and it's just a shame. A shame and a sham.

I agree with what you're saying here. I would also like to point out an example of Nix talking out of both sides of his mouth yesterday. On one hand he says that accepting losing isn't tolerable then he goes on to say that his plan to turn things around is "not a speedy" but "painful" route. Doesn't that mean that Buddy himself is prepared to deal with losing for at least a couple of seasons? :unsure:

And I'm so sick of the lowered expectations that this organization and so many of its fans aspire to. The goal shouldn't be "to get this thing turned around" or "to get on track". The goal should be to do what it takes to field a division champion. That's how you make the playoffs, BY WINNING YOUR DIVISION. Is there anyone from the "sunshine and lollipops" gang that can tell me how they expect to win this division under this current regime? The Patriots are entrenched at the top and they have two picks in each of the first four rounds of next year's draft. How are you going to catch them by employing the "not speedy but painful" method? Both the Jets and Dolphins have backups that would be starters on our team.

Yeah, I also noted the diametric claptrap.

Changes: Make changes to replace players with losing attitudes with inferior players that made no team's rosters, because it is supposed to break the cycle of losing? :thumbdown:

Scouting: Can't evaluate a football player playing football in any system but our own, that instills real confidence that this is the group to do a dirt-up re-build of a franchise. :rolleyes:

Extension vs. cut: Well, the one guy did everything we asked of him and works his nads off. The other guy did everything we asked of him and works his nads off. <_<

Coaching: We're going to coach them all up, and if we decide we can't then we'll coach up someone that's demonstrated they have less talent in the first place. :blink:

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

I wouldn't say that you're recklessly pessimistic. I would say that you have a clarity that some refuse to come to grips with. Same ol same ol out of OBD. Nix=?=Marve=Donahoe.....wash, rinse repeat.... :bag:

Oh, one more thing I thought of that Nix said that doesn't quite jive with his actions. He said he's tired of seeing ex-Bills players playing well for other teams. There are 3 guys we let go or didn't invite back that are staring for other teams right now that I know of. They are TO, ML, and Incognito. AND they were all added to teams that think they're making a playoff run this year. What's up with that Buddy?

I guess we just gotta be patient and suck for another 3 years while Buddy and Coach Gailey unload the little bit of talent we do have to get "their guys" in here instead of just building on the talent we already have.

I guess we just gotta be patient and suck for another 3 years while Buddy and Coach Gailey unload the little bit of talent we do have to get "their guys" in here instead of just building on the talent we already have.

And then the next GM will come in and do the same - likely drafting another 1st round RB because the one currently on the roster was another guy's pick.

And the cycle continues...

And then the next GM will come in and do the same - likely drafting another 1st round RB because the one currently on the roster was another guy's pick.

Yeah I don't get this. If you can't win with ML and Fred in your backfield and feel the need to get a new RB like Spiller in order to be able to win, then you're not a very good coach. A good coach could win with those two. I've seen many teams win with less.

No, you are delusional and make things up to suit your views

Where do you guys get this stuff from... the Miami Dolphins went 1-15 and they were bad only because of bad coaching?.... that the team was filled with great players because they had great drafts previous to the bad coach? What a bunch of horseshit!

But Buffalo's problem is just the opposite of the Dolphins-Ravens-Falcons, they have fantastic coaches and bad players? Dude, you seriously need to get a grip on reality, Chan Gailey sucks, AVP and even Turk Schonert were better at game planning and running the Bills offense the last two years. This guy was brought in to specifically improve the offense...he made it worse!

2009: Vontae Davis, Brian Hartline

2008: Jake Long, Phillip Merling, Chad Henne, Kendall Langford

2005: Ronnie Brown, Matt Roth, Channing Crowder

2004: Vernon Carey, Rex Hadnot

2003 Wade Smith

2002 Seth McKinney, Randy McMichael

2001 Chris Chambers

Not to mention their deal to acquire Ricky Williams, who is still productive. Look attheir committment to building the offensive line early in the decade- although some of those players are gone, most were productive. That got a couple good ones each year, while we took Erik Flowers, Eric Williams, Roscoe Parrish and Aaron Maybin

Lynch and Jackson are nice players....as second string guys. Neither makes defensive coordinators lose sleep at night- just like Schobel didn't strike fear in offensive coordinators.

Edited by Adam

While I'd debate the not matter part, as I think that Kelsay is a fundamental weakpoint on our team, since we've got lots of them I'm willing to let a good locker room influence stay. We've been a losing team for a long time and it'll be difficult to shed that stink. He can still be cut in the future should we manage get three players that are better than him (two OLB + swing OLB). Right now, I think we have no OLB that are better than him which was why he was extended. Also IMO the fact that there's no better OLB than him is a significant contributing reason as to why we're 0-4.

Excuse me, but that post is entirely too reasonable for this forum. We cannot abide this type of logical lucid thought process as Bills fans. You must be fired immediately.

Huh? Considering that John Wawrow stated that he was informed of Thursday's presser at 6pm Wednesday and the Sully piece was posted online at 11:12pm Wednesday I'm not sure what you mean. Furthermore, who would leak it to the Bills and for what purpose?

Inquiring minds.

I'd bet the farm he finished it before 6 pm. Once it's written, I'm presuming it has to be copyedited, formatted, etc.

The furor over Kelsay's extension is emblematic of the Bills fan base and their obsession with stuff that doesn't matter. You're right. Why he got extended is a mystery. But it's not like they took money from another player to sign him. What Kelsay gets paid doesn't affect anything right now except the talk shows and chat boards. It happened. Get over it. Move on.

PTR

Amen ... even if Kelsay is a problem there are plenty of others that are far more significant - the most important being who will be the QB of the future? The answer is not Fitz.

I'd bet the farm he finished it before 6 pm. Once it's written, I'm presuming it has to be copyedited, formatted, etc.

Correct; if at all possible, they'd want that proofed and paginated well before they started getting stuff from the evening games. The special Sabres section due out on Thursday would've added to the desk's workload, and at some point that night, they probably had to rip up their front page for the Halladay no-hitter. For those asking about the 11:12 p.m. timestamp on the online version, the website isn't updated until after the print edition has been put to bed. (In English, sent to the pressroom.) Think they have a 10:30 p.m. deadline.

Following its own round of editing and post-production, the News' Jax preview video was posted at 5:45 p.m. Wednesday. Guessing they did that on the way out, and that Sully's column had already been filed at that point.

I've also heard from a couple of other guys who cover the team that not everyone got the memo for the session with Nix. Entirely possible that the regular beat writers, the ones who are there every day instead of just the Wednesday sessions, were the only ones informed. (That's just a guess, though.)

"Chris Kelsey is a good player"

This comment sums up our current GM

If Nix thinks assembling a team of "Chris Kelsay" type players is the key to success then I think he is all wrong. I think Nix should head off to retirement right now. What a ludicrous answer!

If you credit Kelsay with having a good attitude, good work ethic and good leadership skills in the locker room that is fine, but the most important thing I think is how productive he is as a player!

He is not productive! He doesn't make anything happen on defense and he has been a key part of a defense that has been near the bottom of the league for several years now. What a disaster. The Bills are last in defense now and they give this guy a raise and an extension. How clueless is Nix?

I would give him some credit if he said everyone must go, but he thinks the underachieving Kelsay is the bedrock and cornerstone of the defense. YIKES! WE'RE DOOMED!

If Nix thinks assembling a team of "Chris Kelsay" type players is the key to success then I think he is all wrong. I think Nix should head off to retirement right now. What a ludicrous answer!

If you credit Kelsay with having a good attitude, good work ethic and good leadership skills in the locker room that is fine, but the most important thing I think is how productive he is as a player!

He is not productive! He doesn't make anything happen on defense and he has been a key part of a defense that has been near the bottom of the league for several years now. What a disaster. The Bills are last in defense now and they give this guy a raise and an extension. How clueless is Nix?

I would give him some credit if he said everyone must go, but he thinks the underachieving Kelsay is the bedrock and cornerstone of the defense. YIKES! WE'RE DOOMED!

Getting rid of him wouldn't be nearly as productive as trading Lynch was, and unlike the RB situation, there is nothing behind him to put out there. He is making peanuts and not causing problems- he could be a decent backup when we have some talent.

Not hurting the cap, no trade value and nothing behind him on the depth chart. Whats the problem? Niox never said he wants a dozen guys with Kelsay's talent level

Edited by Adam

While I do not agree with the Kelsay years and money, I understand the thought process.

Buffalo has a hard time retaining talent and signing quality free agents. part of that has been the front office dysfunction for the last 15 years or so. Players look at that and say to themselves, "I don't have a chance to win there, and the team is not run well" so all things being equal, they will go play somewhere else.

I think by rewarding a guy that has been here for 7 years, has been a leader and has played hard sends a message to the young guys on the team as well as pending free agents around the league.

The message is that things are different here now. We want to win and our organization values and protects the guys that work hard and want to win too.

Now, You can debate the value of the player (Kelsay) used to send this message, but I think that is the heart of the contract.

Edited by tonyd19

That's what I would've assumed, but I don't get the implication that OBD's press conference was setup because of Sully. Nor do I get why the poster implied News would "leak" it.

That's what I would've assumed, but I don't get the implication that OBD's press conference was setup because of Sully. Nor do I get why the poster implied News would "leak" it.

It was set up because multiple writers requested to speak to him Wednesday morning. Sullivan's take from his ongoing chat:

Jason:

Hey so you call out Nix for talking, then he talks and you don't show. What gives?

Sully:

I expected that, Jason. I worked Wednesday. I write columns every Wednesday off media day. All the media are there on Wednesdays. There was a request for Buddy put in at 9 a.m. He never showed. I was off Thursday. I don't come running just because Buddy decides to do it on his terms. I've been doing this for a long time and sparred with much better football men than him.

Then he gives the media eight minutes.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sully_on_sports/2010/10/live-chat-with-sully-1.html

While I do not agree with the Kelsay years and money, I understand the thought process.

Buffalo has a hard time retaining talent and signing quality free agents. part of that has been the front office dysfunction for the last 15 years or so. Players look at that and say to themselves, "I don't have a chance to win there, and the team is not run well" so all things being equal, they will go play somewhere else.

I think by rewarding a guy that has been here for 7 years, has been a leader and has played hard sends a message to the young guys on the team as well as pending free agents around the league.

The message is that things are different here now. We want to win and our organization values and protects the guys that work hard and want to win too.

Now, You can debate the value of the player (Kelsay) used to send this message, but I think that is the heart of the contract.

The thought process is deeply flawed. There was absolutely no pressure to prematurely reward Kelsay, especially when the drum they are beating in public is "everyone is under the microscope". Extending Kelsay undermines the "evaluation process" message in a large way. In suggests the "evaluation process" is being done inadvertantly or by different people with entirely different agendas, and that's not a signal you want to send anyone.

Rewarding a guy because he was drafted 7 years ago by the same team and who has been, at his best moments, an average player does nothing to attract free agents. Nobody signs with the Clippers because Baron Davis is an average player.

The works hard and wants to win stuff is pure propaganda. Trent Edwards was a team leader, worked hard, and wanted to win by their own admission and he's now on the Jaguars.

Players, young or otherwise, know who is playing well and who isn't. They can see, just like the fans, that there are players making mistakes and the results range from getting a raise, continuing to play, getting benched, or getting cut.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, TG did a great piece on the Kelsay extension:

TG re: Kelsay extension

Based on TG's research, there was little if any reason to re-sign CK for this money and this time. But most of TBD already knew that. For Nix and Overdorf to give this kind of money to CK is what everyone's been saying: ridiculous and unfounded.

The Kelsay signing isn't ridiculous. We locked in an average player, who is destined to be a backup once we have some good drafts- at that point, he will be a veteran player, who knows the system at a low price. People are up in arms that it looks like he is getting a bonanza and a reward for sub par play, but that isn't the case. Probably works out to about the same amount.