Nix speaks

I wonder when it was seen first posted on the web as well, I first saw it around 12ish

The timestamp indicates 11:12pm last night, but as I speculated a few posts earlier it could have been written before 6pm and posted to the Buffalo News site later by a News web staffer.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with all due respect, and to be fair to all, must point out that i was informed by the Bills at around 6 p.m. last night that Nix was going to be made available some time today.

jw

Thanks for the info. I was doubting the FO would jump and salute because of Sullivan. John, any info on whether or not we'll see more personnel moves/trades? I just as soon they lose with rooks and young guys than to lose with veterans.

The more I hear Nix talk about this team the more I feel we are going in the right direction. I agree with the lodgic on Kelsay, I wonder who are the other 6 guys he is referring to? I think Donte an G wilson and maybe Bell. That being said I was glad he talked today regardless of why it was a good business decesion.

Woo Hoo - as long as they're "good players" in the eyes of the front office I suppose I don't really care that they take up salary cap money and roster spaces but don't contribute anything on the field.

Good Lord - that's the type of attitude that kills us - our willingness to see guys who don't produce in a game stick around because they embody the attitude and leadership the team wants in their players - WTF? If you want a good lockerroom attitude hire a consultant, get some Tony Robbins tapes, try accupuncture but don't give a 31 year old converted linebacker who can't produce a roster spot and $6 million a year - we need players, not guys you keep based on attitude.

Not defending the extension to Kelsay, but I seriously doubt that the reason that most of the remaining home games won't be sellouts is because they extended Kelsay's contract. There are going to be a ton of empty seats because Ralph has let this team go to crap, and is the joke of the league. Fans are finally waking up to this.

"There IS no sellout and there will continue to be blackouts because of moves like the Kelsay extension which ARE THE PROBLEM."

I totally agree with you. I said "moves like the Kelsay extension" which include horrible drafting, terrible free agents signings and laughable FO choices. And yes, this "new" regime is heading down that same path with the Kelsay extension, the mishandling of Trent and the inability of any of Nix's draft picks other than Spiller to make an impact on a team that is void of incumbent talent .

The Kelsay extension is nothing more than a microcosm of this organization's continued ineptitude.

:bag:

Nix is following the Butler/Nix blueprint of the Chargers, circa 2001. None of this should surprise anybody on this board. Bills West to Chargers East.

I know patience is low, especially with how this season began, but "the" plan worked in San Diego, and I don't see any reason why it won't work here.

Could you elaborate a little on the Chargers' process? I am going to research it myself and i'm not trying to bust your chops at all. I remember Eli didn't want to play there and all that mess. I am just finding it hard ot have faith right now.

I happen to think Kelsay sucks just as much (if not more) than Edwards ever did. Bear in mind that both Edwards and Kelsay were Captains.

"The thing you don’t want to do is take your core guys and your leaders out of your system."

"We knew he had the ability. He’s willing. He’s intelligent. He did all the things we asked. We went through OTAs. We went through preseason, camp, the whole deal, and he did everything we asked him to do and there was promise there."

"Maybe not be great players but are good players that set the tone for what you want everybody else to be."

"He exemplifies what we want players to do and how we want ‘em to be."

One gets cut and the other gets a raise. :rolleyes:

I think the entire Bills fan base watched in disgust as Edwards completely choked at the end of that Miami game by not even attempting a hail-mary, then played with no backbone against the Packers...that got him benched, What got him cut were the outcries of the fanbase, plus he would make 1.6 mil as a back up. This move is going to look unbelievably stupid should Fitz get hurt for an extended period and Brohm shows he is not ready, or any better at running for his life then Edwards.

If Chris Kelasy was the focus of two games and failed at his job as bad as Edwards did.... I'm pretty sure he would be cut also, the difference between the two might be that Kelsay wouldn't find another job as quickly, that is if he could find another job

Answer me one question Buddy... You're "core guy" Kelsay, is playin a position that he obviously can't play and he has done nothing to help this team win so how do you justify saying that you want your players to be like him? Give me a bad boy that produces on the field any given sunday... Besides, how do you expect new talent to come to this team and follow his lead when they've never even heard of him before? Notice how there were no big headlines other then within the Bills network when he signed his extension... Give us some playmakers with marginal character and I promise the Bills fans will forgive you...

PS. Can we get someone in the press conferences and QnA's that will ask the tough questions that all of us want the answers to?

Agreed, Richie Incognito anybody?

Nix is a stubborn old fool. Build thru the draft? Good idea but then how do you explain that outside of CJ Spiller no one is contributing? This guy has been an utter failure as GM his first year. And Memo to Nix, there's something called "free agency" which you have to use in today's NFL to build your team in addition to the draft. It's how the Dolphins got Carlos Dansby and the Jets got LaDanian Tomlinson, both of which punked your team.

I think the entire Bills fan base watched in disgust as Edwards completely choked at the end of that Miami game by not even attempting a hail-mary, then played with no backbone against the Packers...that got him benched, What got him cut were the outcries of the fanbase, plus he would make 1.6 mil as a back up. This move is going to look unbelievably stupid should Fitz get hurt for an extended period and Brohm shows he is not ready, or any better at running for his life then Edwards.

If Chris Kelasy was the focus of two games and failed at his job as bad as Edwards did.... I'm pretty sure he would be cut also, the difference between the two might be that Kelsay wouldn't find another job as quickly, that is if he could find another job

The difference seems to be one was the QB that did everything you asked him to do and failed and the other is a DE playing LB that did everything you asked him to do and continues to be horrific. So, cut the one and extend the other. WTF? How does that make any sense?

Indeed, from your response, it sounds almost like a pity move. We let Edwards go because he was good enough to be a backup on another NFL team and we didn't want to waste more of his time here. We extended Kelsay because he sucks so badly, we know no one would pick him up. What is this, a kennel for stray football players?

Edit: "There is a plan." :lol: What is it? Hitting yourself in the knee with the rubber hammer thingy?

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

Did you ever think that maybe they just wanted to see what it feels like to extend a player? Since going by your standards, there is nobody on this roster that warrants an extension. I guess since Edwards was released, Kelsay has become this boards whipping boy and the blame for almost everything going wrong with the team. If you wanna point fingers, point them at the man who had the press conference and the guy who signs his paycheck.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I have never said or intimated that. Nor do I believe that.

However, many people could see how horrible Kelsay was during the Green Bay game (and before, but the GB game provided clear and unadulterated evidence). The extension merely rubbed salt on an already existing wound.

Nix is a stubborn old fool. Build thru the draft? Good idea but then how do you explain that outside of CJ Spiller no one is contributing? This guy has been an utter failure as GM his first year. And Memo to Nix, there's something called "free agency" which you have to use in today's NFL to build your team in addition to the draft. It's how the Dolphins got Carlos Dansby and the Jets got LaDanian Tomlinson, both of which punked your team.

I wonder what Ralph thinks about signing up for an open-ended re-build plan. With a GM that's already retired once no less.

Could you elaborate a little on the Chargers' process? I am going to research it myself and i'm not trying to bust your chops at all. I remember Eli didn't want to play there and all that mess. I am just finding it hard ot have faith right now.

Butler/Smith/Nix showed up in SD in 2001 and inherited a team so bad they had the #1 overall pick. They grabbed Tomlinson right away (started building with a RB, weird), and had a good draft, but were still pretty bad that year. They ended up with the #5 pick the next year. Two years after that, they still had the #1 overall pick (which they used on Manning/Rivers).

Basically, it took 4 drafts before they saw any major turn-around. And now the Chargers, while not "power-houses", are contenders every year and have changed the culture of the organization.

Eli didnt want to play there because people around the league still felt the organization was stuck in it's old ways. They proved that year that they weren't.

It's going to take some time to fix the mess that Ralph and Co. spent the last 15 years making. It will not turn around in one season. Most likely not 2 seasons either. So hop on board and get ready for the haul, or jump off now and save everyone the whining (not you, that was to fans in general).

Read the 1996-2003 section here, about the Chargers, and tell me that doesnt sound very familiar... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_Chargers#1996.E2.80.932003

Edited by DrDankenstein

Just because he is a straight shooter and is somewhere above average in terms of scouting players, doesn't mean he knows diddly about building a football team.

if HE doesnt know diddly after all this time spent in NFL organizations, then how can anyone here even try to criticize since we must know even less?

Butler/Smith/Nix showed up in SD in 2001 and inherited a team so bad they had the #1 overall pick. They grabbed Tomlinson right away (started building with a RB, weird), and had a good draft, but were still pretty bad that year. They ended up with the #5 pick the next year. Two years after that, they still had the #1 overall pick (which they used on Manning/Rivers).

Basically, it took 4 drafts before they saw any major turn-around. And now the Chargers, while not "power-houses", are contenders every year and have changed the culture of the organization.

Eli didnt want to play there because people around the league still felt the organization was stuck in it's old ways. They proved that year that they weren't.

It's going to take some time to fix the mess that Ralph and Co. spent the last 15 years making. It will not turn around in one season. Most likely not 2 seasons either. So hop on board and get ready for the haul, or jump off now and save everyone the whining (not you, that was to fans in general).

They even hired a retread "offensive genius" coach...Maybin can play Merriman...future Qb will be Rivers and Spiller will be the next LT...the similarities are eerie! :sick:

Interestingly, the Chargers, who should be 4-0, have the number #1 offense and the #1 defense in the league so far this year.

The difference seems to be one was the QB that did everything you asked him to do and failed and the other is a DE playing LB that did everything you asked him to do and continues to be horrific. So, cut the one and extend the other. WTF? How does that make any sense?

Got to think about that sentence a bit. The coaches asked him to fail ? :unsure:

I wonder what Ralph thinks about signing up for an open-ended re-build plan. With a GM that's already retired once no less.

I assume most of Buddys interview for the GM job was about how they planned on rebuilding. That being said Ralh is known a an owner who is involved a lot, that was confirmed by Chan this week and several other coaches. I have to believe they have a "project plan" and they are going to go step by step and see where they are each yea and reevaluate and alter the plan based on performance and draft picks....

Just my thought not saying this is how it is but I can not imagine Ralh is not in the loop

They even hired a retread "offensive genius" coach...Maybin can play Merriman...future Qb will be Rivers and Spiller will be the next LT...the similarities are eerie! :sick:

nope, Maybin is no Merriman. Merriman came last in the process by way of one of the picks acquired in the Manning trade.

Not sure why you would be "sick" about the team turning it's ways around? We'd be LUCKY to have the success the Chargers have had over the last few years, winning their division, making the playoffs. To the point that they fired Marty because their main worry was winning in the playoffs! Can you imagine THAT being our biggest problem?!?! :thumbsup:

Also, not to push people any closer to the ledge, but in 2002 and 2003 the Chargers used the #5 and #15 overall picks on...

CORNERBACKS!

Read the 1996-2003 section here, about the Chargers, and tell me that doesnt sound very familiar... http://en.wikipedia....96.E2.80.932003

Thank you Doctor!!!!