Keep it going Nix....Im with ya!

idk im still skeptical, we really needed o line and linebacker help and we didnt get any of it in the draft. Im a big fan of spiller and all but i mean at this point (assuming spiller is good) we have crappy wideouts, tight ends, qbs, tackles, and maybe even guards (wood has not looked the same since injury) on the other side, our lbs suck and our d line sucks. So basically we need a whole lot of everything

Im tired of posts like these. Dude , we are rebuilding and when the pieces to Nix's puzzle are available or attainable , rest assure they will be acquired. I have more faith in this FO than I've had since Polian was running the show. Be a fan not a critic (yet). This is your team , the team you root for , and the team that matters. Give them more than 1/4 of a season to get it right.

Edited by stevecana

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well how is a 24 year old, 2x 1,000 yard rusher, who has been to the pro-bowl...NOT in your long-term plans???

One perception, for what it's worth, is that Lynch "puts on the brakes" and plays when he feels like it.

He doesn't seem real into the "blocking" thing, which is dearly needed with our OL as it is.

I thought he quit on the team in the 2nd half of the Jets game.

He's a vet and looked up to by the young players on the team.

If he's setting anything less than the best example with 100% effort, he needs to go and have 100% effort, 100% of the game guys as examples to the young players.

I am telling you we need to part ways with a few more, some that would really cause the fanbase to slit their wrists lol.

i agree with you iceman - there are still some players that need to be gone - and yes some of those will cause the fanbase some mental anguish - but it still needs to be done. i like the fact that gm nix and coach gailey WILL build THEIR team according to THEIR PLAN and not anyone else's. the only downer imo is it will take until the 2012 season to be contending for the division - but the wait will be worth it becasue we will be a force for some years after that as well.

They should decide who the *gamers* are, if any, and build a team around them. Take as much currency into next April's draft as possible, overpay a little for the right GAMERS to come to Buffalo in free agency, and maybe we'll be on to something.

This is where I'm at. You find out a lot about a person's character when things aren't going well-- what kind of teammate they are, how they deal with adversity, etc. Gailey and Nix will have a tough job keeping young talents like Spiller, Wood, Byrd, etc. motivated and focused on the bigger picture throughout what's likely a very bad experience this season. Drafting a franchise QB and some quality FA leaders in next year will help. It's an exercise in leadership on many levels.

I'm on board with the purge too but I'm absolutely mystified as to why they're not purging Kelsay. Rather, they gave him a sizable contract extension. I continue to be baffled by this and struggle with it. He's old, under-performs, has no idea what he's doing, and has no business even starting on any NFL team.

Agree 100%. That was a very worrysome move

Exactly right. So why in the fugg did they take a RB in the first round last year? Especially after history just scolded them with their last two RB's in the first round.

Mind Boggling.

Because Spiller was the best player by a mile. Would you rather have possible Tony Dorsett or possible Aaron Maybin? If you look at picks 10-20, there's ???? all over the place. I'd rather take something closer to a sure thing with a skill set not present on the team than a questionable talent at a position of need.

I dont know about you but I would like to see more rookies play. It really doesn't look good for us this year. I do like the fact that Nix/Gaily have a plan and are not letting anyone get in there way with execution. I would like to see more Troupe, some Carrington, bench Green he is not the answer, (in fact he is the oldest and slowest guy on the team) and lets see what we have in Wang if he is ready at Right tackle or put that Urbik guy in there either one of those two is better then Green right now and they both have an upside. Or Nix should trade Lee Evans to S.D. for Jackson cause Jackson is more of a number one reciever then Evens is. I like Evans, but he really doesn't do anything but go deep or try the WR screen that never works. A number one WR to me does it all (i.e. goes over the middle). If we go youth movement let's go all in. By the way what ever happened to our ratation on the D-line??

Don't address weaknesses: Oline - D-Line - ETC - ETC - ETC

Yeah, keep it up Buddy, I'm right there with ya too! :wallbash:

People's hysteria and overall insanity here has reached whole new levels.

They didn't address the D-Line???? REALLY F-ING REALLY DID YOU JUST SAY THAT?????

Please - go back over the off-season - remind yourself that they picked up a starting 3-4 DE from the Ravens as a FA, then added a NT in the 2nd round and a DE in the 3rd.

Or maybe your definition of addressing a position only using the 1st round pick on it?

Edited by BobChalmers

Ah...so you're saying the Bills need 5 or 6 regular season games to figure out who are their best players, while the rest of the NFL figures that out before the season opener. Thanks for clearing that up. So after this Sunday, hopefully Chan/Buddy will finally know who should be starting, who should be benched, and who should be released of traded. Can we wipe the slate clean and re-start the season at 0-0 after the bye week? :blink:

(And regarding Trent Edwards, Gailey/Nix should have figured out from tape of previous seasons that Edwards didn't have the mentality or physical tools be be a starting NFL QB, and should have been working Brohm with the starting offensive unit throughout training camp and in every preseason game.)

I hate to think how many regular season games we'll have to burn finalizing our roster when the NFL goes to 18 regular and only 2 preseason games.

You have to understand that it was an impossible task for Nix/Gailey to turn this franchise around in one season, this will take at least three years. The first year of that consists essentially of evaluating everyone currently on the roster and you can't completely do that in the pre-season, you just can't. Nix/Gailey wants to see how the players perform in the regular season so they know how to draft/sign in the upcoming off-season(s).

If they know what they are doing (fingers crossed) the team will start to come together after a couple of years. It's far too early to clearly see the full extent of their plans.

I'm not sure what you're referencing - have the Patriots* made a bunch of moves/cuts/trades/benchings that I'm unaware of?

Uhm - yeah - they just traded a HoF WR for a 3rd round pick. And, no, that's not unusual behavior for them - when they decide you don't fit their program, you're gone. No remorse.

BINGO. Did anyone not see what the Patriots just did? They traded a good player in a contract year for a draft pick because he isn't in the long term plans. What did the Bills do? THE EXACT SAME THING. This is how you consistently build a winner. The last time we did this with a player was Ko Simpson and it was a 7th rounder at that.

I actually think this was part of the plan with edwards - unless he really lit the world on fire.

Nix actually has a plan, and despite what TG and Sully say - they would have gotten less for Marshawn (no better hten a 4th was offered according to multipe reports) in the offseason then now. And yes, a conditional 6th is still something...

I am behind the Lynch deal, as much as I liked him. But, you are completely wrong in comparing this to the Moss/Patriots situation. Lynch is 24, almost 10 years younger than Moss, and, he is not in a contract year. Moss isn't going to get better, Lynch has far more upside at this point.

What I don't like about the Lynch deal, along with the dumping of Trent Edwards, is the the fact that they are moves made 4 weeks into the NFL season. Why does it feel like our regular season ended with the rest of the leagues pre-season, while the regular season just seems like an afterthought. Edwards might have had some trade value back in April, and Marshawn might have netted more (though a 4th is okay, I suppose) if a little more energy and creativity was put into this thing. At the very least, the Bills wouldn't have wasted time and effort trying to work Lynch into the offense. Our best running back was on the bench most of the first four weeks, and our best option at QB (it seems) was sitting on the bench the first two weeks.

Now, I have seen it said that Gailey had to "see for himself" when it came to Trent, etc...and I can buy that. However, Buddy Nix, the guy calling the shots isn't new to the team.

Because Spiller was the best player by a mile. Would you rather have possible Tony Dorsett or possible Aaron Maybin? If you look at picks 10-20, there's ???? all over the place. I'd rather take something closer to a sure thing with a skill set not present on the team than a questionable talent at a position of need.

Easiest position in football to fill......"by a mile". And to me, CJ looks nothing like an Adrian Peterson (who is a sure thing). It was a stupid pick. He might be good, I don't have a problem with anyone who feels that way, but it was an incredibly dumb pick. But hey, what do the Saints, Colts and Patriots know about football when they won the Superbowl with a cast of mediocre RB's.

Uhm - yeah - they just traded a HoF WR for a 3rd round pick. And, no, that's not unusual behavior for them - when they decide you don't fit their program, you're gone. No remorse.

Uhm - no - Moss wasn't traded because the Patriots decided he could no longer play or didn't belong in their lineup (which was my point, if you go back and re-read). He was also not traded because the Patriots decided he did not 'fit their program', as you say. Moss was traded because he demanded to be traded, demanded a new contract, and demanded more passes be thrown his way. The Patriots actually would have preferred to keep him (they're not very deep at WR, and have no one as good as Moss)...

Had Moss been patient, or at the very least silent on the subject of his contract desires, this day might have been avoided. The Patriots didn't start out trying to unload him. When it became apparent their petulant receiver was focused on one thing, and one thing only -- show me the money! -- they figured they'd deal him now rather than watch him walk with no compensation at the end of the season.

link

Remorse. (At the very least, some.)

Anyway, that's only one move, and not based on faulty or incomplete evaluation in OTAs, camp, and preseason - unless the Partiots made a bunch of other moves after the season began, that I'm unware of??? :unsure:

Edited by The Senator

You have to understand that it was an impossible task for Nix/Gailey to turn this franchise around in one season, this will take at least three years. The first year of that consists essentially of evaluating everyone currently on the roster and you can't completely do that in the pre-season, you just can't. Nix/Gailey wants to see how the players perform in the regular season so they know how to draft/sign in the upcoming off-season(s).

If they know what they are doing (fingers crossed) the team will start to come together after a couple of years. It's far too early to clearly see the full extent of their plans.

Maybe, but we got a hint at their plans when they thought it would be wise to take a RB before having a line. We just get another dose of their plan when they extended Chris Kelsay, who is friggin awful. So, excuse me if I'm not getting all warm and fuzzy about the new Front Office plan after two bonehead moves like that.

I could care less what happened to Marshawn. After drafting Spiller, that was a foregone conclusion.

I'm on board with the purge too but I'm absolutely mystified as to why they're not purging Kelsay. Rather, they gave him a sizable contract extension. I continue to be baffled by this and struggle with it. He's old, under-performs, has no idea what he's doing, and has no business even starting on any NFL team.

Exactly. Anyone daring to compare the Bills with the Pats with their recent decisions needs to remember that extension and realize that there is no way in HELL the Pats would have done that Kelsay deal. No way in hell.

Easiest position in football to fill......"by a mile". And to me, CJ looks nothing like an Adrian Peterson (who is a sure thing). It was a stupid pick. He might be good, I don't have a problem with anyone who feels that way, but it was an incredibly dumb pick. But hey, what do the Saints, Colts and Patriots know about football when they won the Superbowl with a cast of mediocre RB's.

Ahh....this is fun...

First, the Patriots (Maroney), Saints (Bush) and Colts (Addai) all recently invested #1 picks on RBs with good RBs on their roster.

2nd - Look at picks 10-20 and tell me who would you rather have? I'm guessing you'll say A. Davis. But if your evaluation tell you he's the OT version of Maybin, do you go with Davis because he's the right position or Spiller because he's the right talent? I have no problem with BPA if the player adds something that you don't already have.

Since Spiller is tied for the team lead in TDs and he has no idea what he's doing (schematically), I'll reach and say he adds something.

BINGO. Did anyone not see what the Patriots just did? They traded a good player in a contract year for a draft pick because he isn't in the long term plans. What did the Bills do? THE EXACT SAME THING. This is how you consistently build a winner. The last time we did this with a player was Ko Simpson and it was a 7th rounder at that.

I actually think this was part of the plan with edwards - unless he really lit the world on fire.

Nix actually has a plan, and despite what TG and Sully say - they would have gotten less for Marshawn (no better hten a 4th was offered according to multipe reports) in the offseason then now. And yes, a conditional 6th is still something...

Well first, for the zillionth time, Lynch was NOT IN A CONTRACT YEAR!!!!

Second, due respect, but it's NOT THE EXACT SAME THING - the Cheatriettes* traded and aging prima donna who was making outrageous demands and becoming a cancer...

Bill knew bomb was ticking

Sources: Moss, coach in exchange

Ego brought Randy Moss down

...and received a 3rd round pick for a guy who has been an a-hole on every team he's been with (Vikings/Raiders/NE), and who'll be out of football in 2 years.

The Bills, OTOH, traded a young 24 y.o. up-and-comer Pro Bowl RB that they drafted in the first round with the #12 overall pick just 3 years ago and who will likely be a dominating RB for years to come in Seattle, and received in return a 4th round pick in 2011 (think Marcus Easley) and a 7th round pick in 2012 (think Kyle Calloway). :sick:

Senator you and Bufftex are wrong the LAST year of of his contract was voidable

http://seattle.sbnation.com/seattle-seahawks/2010/10/5/1732568/seattle-seahawks-marshawn-lynch-contract-details

Make sure you read the edit at the end

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bills/2007-07-27-bills-sign-lynch_N.htm

AP report from when he was signed

".... the Buffalo Bills' first-round draft pick, agreed Thursday night to a five-year contract worth nearly $19 million, his agent told the Associated Press.

The team then confirmed the signing on Friday morning.

DRAFT PICKS' STATUS: See who signs when

"Marshawn's ecstatic and looking forward to helping the Bills," agent Doug Hendrickson said. "All along, Marshawn told us he wanted to be in camp on time and instructed us to get the deal done."

Drafted 12th overall out of California, Lynch will earn $10.285 million in guaranteed money including bonuses, with the entire contract worth $18.935 million. An additional year would be added to the contract if Lynch missed a majority of his first two seasons."

He did play the first 2 seasons =s 5 years.

We got a 3rd and a conditional 6th that may turn into a 5th if he does well. That isn't bad for a guy in his LAST YEAR OF A CONTRACT. Who didn't want to be here this year, didn't come to OTAs and prolly played w/ more effort the last few weeks because of his burning desire to leave!!! And last week after we were wiped up on the field, he was on the sidelines laughing and joking just like last year. Hell, good riddence ML thanks for the memiories (BTW did you know he got a 14 on his wonderlic?)

You both skip over 2 big incidents as well, one more and he sits for a year. Randy Moss might very well help take Minni to the SB. And the Cheaters let him know they didn't intend to resign him already.

Edited by bowery4

This is where I'm at. You find out a lot about a person's character when things aren't going well-- what kind of teammate they are, how they deal with adversity, etc. Gailey and Nix will have a tough job keeping young talents like Spiller, Wood, Byrd, etc. motivated and focused on the bigger picture throughout what's likely a very bad experience this season. Drafting a franchise QB and some quality FA leaders in next year will help. It's an exercise in leadership on many levels.

Slack I like your post. I slightly disagree with one portion though. Some men such as Spiller, Wood, Levitre, ect... imo can be quite self motivated individuals. When it comes to motivation, Gailey and Nix probably don't need to worry too much about certain players. Some men need constant motivation, others a little bit, and there are those who fight thru adversity and find ways to motivate themselves no matter what the obstacles. Imo we have some, but not enough self motivators.

Yes you are right, you find out about a person's true character when things are low and in the dumps. That's when you see what someone is really made of.

Edited by Pilsner

I am telling you we need to part ways with a few more, some that would really cause the fanbase to slit their wrists lol.

I honestly could not imagine who we could get rid of that would upset the fans that much at this point. Lee Evans? Didn't really make the case for himself with those awful drops. IIRC, this was a problem in pre-season and training camp with Evans. Paul Posluszny? I doubt he would be missed too much.

Only young talented players like Jairus Byrd and CJ Spiller would cause a much-deserved uprising/mass suicide. :blink:

http://seattle.sbnation.com/seattle-seahawks/2010/10/5/1732568/seattle-seahawks-marshawn-lynch-contract-details

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bills/2007-07-27-bills-sign-lynch_N.htm

".... the Buffalo Bills' first-round draft pick, agreed Thursday night to a five-year contract worth nearly $19 million, his agent told the Associated Press.

"Marshawn's ecstatic and looking forward to helping the Bills," agent Doug Hendrickson said. "All along, Marshawn told us he wanted to be in camp on time and instructed us to get the deal done."

Drafted 12th overall out of California, Lynch will earn $10.285 million in guaranteed money including bonuses, with the entire contract worth $18.935 million. An additional year would be added to the contract if Lynch missed a majority of his first two seasons."

We got a 3rd and a conditional 6th that may turn into a 5th if he does well. That isn't bad for a guy in his LAST YEAR OF A CONTRACT. Who didn't want to be here this year, didn't come to OTAs and prolly played w/ more effort the last few weeks because of his burning desire to leave!!! And last week after we were wiped up on the field, he was on the sidelines laughing and joking just like last year. Hell, good riddence ML thanks for the memiories (BTW did you know he got a 14 on his wonderlic?)

You both skip over 2 big incidents as well, one more and he sits for a year. Randy Moss might very well help take Minni to the SB. And the Cheaters let him know they didn't intend to resign him already.

You, sir, are the one who is wrong. Lynch signed a 6-year rookie deal thru 2012 and would have been a F/A in 2013 - the 2012 year was the 'voidable year' based on not missing substantial playing time in the 1st two years. Assuming he would avail himself the option of voiding the final year, he would have been a F/A in 2012, but he was most definitely iron-clad, locked-up thru the 2011 season at the paltry sum of $1.14M. Incontrovertible statement of fact.

(EDIT: It's actually a bit confusing - Lynch's deal was a 5-year deal, with a 6th 'voidable' year (2012) if he missed a substantial portion of his first 2 seasons - when you read something that says the last year of his contract was 'voidable', it refers to that conditional 6th year - here's a link to the contract the Seahawks assumed - Lynch)

Also not sure where you come up with 'we got a 3rd and a conditional 6th' - you seem to have this 'n-minus-1' issue with numbers. We got a 4th round pick, and a conditional 'latter-round' pick, believed by most to be a 7th rounder (not a 6th)...

Marshawn Lynch traded to Seahawks

Edited by The Senator

It is evident that Nix and Gailey have a plan in place. This year is essentially a 16 game preseason schedule, in which they will evaluate the entire roster. Edwards and Lynch were 2 guys that this front office didn't see as part of the Bills long term future. Lynch had another year left on his contract. Did anyone honestly think the Bills were going to bring him back or that Lynch would even want to re-sign with Buffalo?

If the front offices' plan is to acquire more draft picks for some of their veteran players, then that's fine. However, with the current state of this organization, this Bills front office can not afford to miss on draft picks like past regimes.

Some examples in the past 10 drafts:

*Mike Williams over Bryant McKinnie (a proven LT who allowed 1 sack in his entire college career)

*Drafting McGahee (coming off a devastating knee injury, when you already had Travis Henry)

*Trading back into the 1st round to draft Losman

*Whitner over Ngata (build your foundation with a monster in the middle of the DL)

*Trading back into the 1st round to draft McCargo over Nick Mangold (build a strong foundation on the OL by drafting a rock in the middle)

*McKelvin over Rogers-Cromartie

*Maybin over Orakpo or Clay Matthews

im not sure if your paying attention or anything, but donte whitner is without a DOUBT our best tackling defensive back on the team. he's leading all players in tackles right now and is proving why we took him 8th overall in 2006.

Welcome to the board!

If this is a troll, it was a good one. If not, well....welcome to the board.

John you may well be correct on this but I will say this. Kelsey was at three Bills Booster meetings last year (spoke once) and is a decent and smart guy but it got me to wonder why would a player give up a night to be at a booster meeting? The answer I got in so many words is that Kelsey is thought highly of inside the Bills organization. Think goodwill ambassador, so it really didn't shock me when I read about his extension. I would not be surprised if Kelsey was offered some position with the Bills after he retires from playing.

I remember at the Bills pre-draft breakfast, Buddy Nix stating that "this team needs talent" and that with their number one pick the Bills would select the best player available. Spiller was hands down the best player on the board when the Bills pick came up and though I wanted either OL or DL Buddy Nix was not going to pass on a talent like Spiller.

That makes sense wrt Kelsay. He surely was not extended due to his play, which sadly is terrible.

The bold makes sense too, but I disagree with this philosophy. Many here have stated that a great back (assuming Spiller will be great) makes the OL better. I don't know this to be true or false. What I DO know is that a great OL makes an average back much more effective. This is beyond dispute.

I had no issues with the draft after round 1. They drafted in areas (OT, DE, WR and LB) at which we needed lots of help. And even if they saw no OL or QB worthy of a number 9, it would seem to me that because the Bills have so many needs, a trade down would have made more sense than a part time running back/return specialist.

Ah...so you're saying the Bills need 5 or 6 regular season games to figure out who are their best players, while the rest of the NFL figures that out before the season opener. Thanks for clearing that up. So after this Sunday, hopefully Chan/Buddy will finally know who should be starting, who should be benched, and who should be released of traded. Can we wipe the slate clean and re-start the season at 0-0 after the bye week?

I understand what your saying, but when you're the new head coach, you most certainly need regular season games to continue evaluating. This obviously won't be the case next off season or shouldn't be, but you can't expect him to know everything about every player and in what direction they need to go in one off season.

The plan is pretty much cristal clear to me......

- Get rid of the non performers....for WHATEVER we can get

- Work your way to the top of the draft board

- Figure out who are gamers and who are not

Next to go should be McCargo and Whitner

pushed it with Whitner. Everything else is gold.

Actually they didn't do the exact same thing. What the Patriots did was take a FREE AGENT and got rid of him for more draft picks likely with the plan of bringing in another FREE AGENT to take his place. Some have speculated that this might be Vincent Jackson. What the Bills did was take a 1ST ROUND DRAFT PICK PLAYER who was playing a rookie contract and got rid of him for draft picks. The problem is they won't use any of that money or draft picks they saved to bring in a FREE AGENT to help this team. What they will do is select more bust players that will never really contribute and cut them in about 3 - 4 years.

The whole "cash Lil Donte'" crowd will never go into agreement with anything other than "he sucks"....once they get goin on something like that, facts dont matter.

I was kind of afraid that Byrds picks last year had a lot to do with luck. I mean, its certainly something that he was in the right place at the right time last year as much as he was. And he may have been in the right place just as many times THIS year. But you cant count on having balls tipped the way they were. But just like injuries the last two years, good/bad luck have a lot to do with it.

Im kind of surprized to see that we would cut Meredith the way we did. Calloway too, especially considering the fact that he was a fairly dominant RT at Iowa. I would have liked to seen him get a shot to replace C. Green. I still havent heard anything about who we might be grooming to replace THAT guy. I dont see it being Wang. I would love to see D. Bell get a full healthy season under his belt, but at the beginning of the season I was excited to see what Wang could do.

Edited by marsadale

Way too early to give up on Nix or Gailey. This isn't Madden where you can blow up and recast a roster in a half hour. The front office is essentially building a football team from scratch. It's what Nix was part of in San Diego.

I wouldn't cry to see Evans or Whitner traded away for picks. Neither of them have impressed for years.

*McKelvin over Rogers-Cromartie

McKelvin has looked pretty damned good this year - yeah, he got fooled badly on one move/pump-fake last week, but he was also shutting down Edwards 1-1 most of the game. If we had anything resembling a pass-rush, Sanchez doesn't have time for a bunch of pump-fakes.

When McKelvin is on, which has been a lot so far this season, he's phenomenal - no way you put him on the list with Whitner over Ngata, etc.

Well how is a 24 year old, 2x 1,000 yard rusher, who has been to the pro-bowl...NOT in your long-term plans???

That is just retarded and it WILL cost them! (Now in a year, we have to go out and draft Jackson's replacement...somebody who can pound the ball and be the #1 RB...SPILLER will not cut it as a workhorse!)

I agree to an extent. The OP said that we are getting rid of non-performers, but we also have to make tough choices when it comes to players who are performing and can get us value in trade. We need to take an honest look at where we are and where we are going to be. We ARE rebuilding and we ARE NOT gonna be winners for a few years. I consider this year an extension of the evaluation process in pre-season. Find out who the gamers are in real game situations and get rid of the practice heroes. Blow it up and build again!

Yeah, I can't see that either. I am also afraid they will have a bunch of draft picks and waste them on the likes of Losman, Mcargo, and Mike

Williams type players that our scouting staff has been recommending for years.

Not if we didn't want to win this year.....doing that would make the team competative enough to go at least 8-8.....someting they DONT want....its either playoffs or 0-16

We need a QB to biuld around in the worst kind of way.....we need to be in the "Sam Bradford" range in this upcoming draft

- The only way this team is going to get better is by drafting and drafting well....I have faith in Nix in that area.

To this point, only one 2010 draft selection has made any significant contribution. The others are either injured, waived, or riding the bench so I see little justification for faith vs. worry.

We took a dynamic Rookie like Spiller this year who will either be 'decent' with our O-Line situation this year or could hide some of our O Line woes.

Next year we go O-Line early in the draft (and/or stud FA OL pick-up) when Spiller hits his year two 'stride' behind a fortified Line.

Just my thoughts.

I think so. I believe we will see a solidification of the line before we invest a 1st round pick on a QB. Since we are likely to suck next year as well, we should have another top 5 pick then. It makes no sense at all to bring in a QB when you can't protect him. Last thing we need is another Trent Edwards - could have been great, instead he got hammered and got scared and never regained his poise. Let Fitz and Brohm and any other stop gap journeyman take the pounding while we build a worthy line, then we draft our QB. That's the way it should be done, and probably will be.

The only way I would be satisfied with a QB pick next year early in the draft is if we get Mallet - even then I'd still prefer to focus on the lines.

Edited by SouthGeorgiaBillsFan

The plan is pretty much cristal clear to me......

- Get rid of the non performers....for WHATEVER we can get

- Work your way to the top of the draft board

- Figure out who are gamers and who are not

Next to go should be McCargo and Whitner

What is crystal clear about this plan...

- Allow your HC to hire his staff with little concern for lack of experience/success outside of DeHaven.

- Move to a 3-4 defense and then ignore the fact that you don't have the players required for this switch.

- Run up to the podium on draft day ASAP without even listening to offers for your first couple of picks.

- Draft a player in the first round at a position that is far and away your biggest strength.

- Lose a promising UDFA from your practice squad in J. Bell because you couldn't decide what to do with the 3 headed RB monster and then a couple of weeks later, you move Lynch.

- Kelsay. Nothing to say. No possible explanation.

You know what is crystal clear? Until the names Wilson, Overdorf, Brandon, Littman & Nix are no longer associated with this franchise, this team will not come close to sniffing the playoffs.

McKelvin has looked pretty damned good this year - yeah, he got fooled badly on one move/pump-fake last week, but he was also shutting down Edwards 1-1 most of the game. If we had anything resembling a pass-rush, Sanchez doesn't have time for a bunch of pump-fakes.

When McKelvin is on, which has been a lot so far this season, he's phenomenal - no way you put him on the list with Whitner over Ngata, etc.

He was also badly embarrassed in the end zone by Dustin Keller on the next Jets TD. He does have talent -- I'll agree on that -- but I've got Terrell Buckley vibes. He is the sort of player who gambles *a lot* and gets badly burned with some frequency. Recall that Brandon Marshall smoked him in the first game only to drop a sure TD on a deep pass from Henne.

I am mystified about Kelsay as well. I would love to have an explanation....and when pigs have wings.. I am thinking we will see big changes come the bye. They will trade whoever they can up to that date for future draft picks and cut the others. That gives the rookies a little more time before they are in the line of fire. I think that is what the first five weeks are all about. As long as I think that way I at least feel a little better. I'll come up with another fantasy after the bye. :wallbash:

Hmmm...interesting. I read, somewhere (more than one place) one of the reasons he was attractive to the Seahawks was that he was under contract through the 2012 season, at a very managable price.