Keep it going Nix....Im with ya!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The plan is pretty much cristal clear to me......

- Get rid of the non performers....for WHATEVER we can get

- Work your way to the top of the draft board

- Figure out who are gamers and who are not

Next to go should be McCargo and Whitner

BINGO. Did anyone not see what the Patriots just did? They traded a good player in a contract year for a draft pick because he isn't in the long term plans. What did the Bills do? THE EXACT SAME THING. This is how you consistently build a winner. The last time we did this with a player was Ko Simpson and it was a 7th rounder at that.

I actually think this was part of the plan with edwards - unless he really lit the world on fire.

Nix actually has a plan, and despite what TG and Sully say - they would have gotten less for Marshawn (no better hten a 4th was offered according to multipe reports) in the offseason then now. And yes, a conditional 6th is still something...

idk im still skeptical, we really needed o line and linebacker help and we didnt get any of it in the draft. Im a big fan of spiller and all but i mean at this point (assuming spiller is good) we have crappy wideouts, tight ends, qbs, tackles, and maybe even guards (wood has not looked the same since injury) on the other side, our lbs suck and our d line sucks. So basically we need a whole lot of everything

We took a dynamic Rookie like Spiller this year who will either be 'decent' with our O-Line situation this year or could hide some of our O Line woes.

Next year we go O-Line early in the draft (and/or stud FA OL pick-up) when Spiller hits his year two 'stride' behind a fortified Line.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by BillsFanInLV

I'm on board with the purge too but I'm absolutely mystified as to why they're not purging Kelsay. Rather, they gave him a sizable contract extension. I continue to be baffled by this and struggle with it. He's old, under-performs, has no idea what he's doing, and has no business even starting on any NFL team.

All fine & well - who wouldn't be in favor of dumping non-performers and dead wood, but isn't that what the OTAs, training camp, and preseason was supposed to reveal? :unsure:

Have you considered that a number of the players, maybe even more than half of them, would WANT to be traded at this point? I'm not trying to start any chit here, but the team is most likely 2-3 years away from a serious playoff run with a lot of holes to fill along the way. And that is going to require good drafting and trades, which Lord knows has not been the Bills strength. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if there may are a fairly high number of players on the team that are looking to get traded.

im not sure if your paying attention or anything, but donte whitner is without a DOUBT our best tackling defensive back on the team. he's leading all players in tackles right now and is proving why we took him 8th overall in 2006. i think we should keep whitner, but yes, kick mccargo to the curb

All fine & well - who wouldn't be in favor of dumping non-performers and dead wood, but isn't that what the OTAs, training camp, and preseason was supposed to reveal? :unsure:

If we based everything off of that, then Trent Edwards would still be our starting QB. Nix/Gailey are evaluating the players based on how they perform in real, regular-season games. That's a much better indicator of talent and/or the drive to win in a player than how they perform in OTA's or pre-season.

im not sure if your paying attention or anything, but donte whitner is without a DOUBT our best tackling defensive back on the team. he's leading all players in tackles right now and is proving why we took him 8th overall in 2006. i think we should keep whitner, but yes, kick mccargo to the curb

Wow. Extend him, indefinitely.

Whitner does not need to go anywhere, he may not have not performed as a 1st round shoud have but he is better than G Wilson and Scott

idk im still skeptical, we really needed o line and linebacker help and we didnt get any of it in the draft. Im a big fan of spiller and all but i mean at this point (assuming spiller is good) we have crappy wideouts, tight ends, qbs, tackles, and maybe even guards (wood has not looked the same since injury) on the other side, our lbs suck and our d line sucks. So basically we need a whole lot of everything

Did we not draft 2 LB's in the draft this year Moats and Batten....

Cornell Freaking Green

AMEN!!

BINGO. Did anyone not see what the Patriots just did? They traded a good player in a contract year for a draft pick because he isn't in the long term plans. What did the Bills do? THE EXACT SAME THING. This is how you consistently build a winner. The last time we did this with a player was Ko Simpson and it was a 7th rounder at that.

I actually think this was part of the plan with edwards - unless he really lit the world on fire.

Nix actually has a plan, and despite what TG and Sully say - they would have gotten less for Marshawn (no better hten a 4th was offered according to multipe reports) in the offseason then now. And yes, a conditional 6th is still something...

Well how is a 24 year old, 2x 1,000 yard rusher, who has been to the pro-bowl...NOT in your long-term plans???

That is just retarded and it WILL cost them! (Now in a year, we have to go out and draft Jackson's replacement...somebody who can pound the ball and be the #1 RB...SPILLER will not cut it as a workhorse!)

Comparing what McCargo is worth to this team with what Whitner is worth to this team...is a complete joke!

I will refrain from judging any of this until we are at this point of the season next year. I am curious to see if there really is a plan, or if we just have our collective heads shoved up where the sun does not shine once again....

If we based everything off of that, then Trent Edwards would still be our starting QB. Nix/Gailey are evaluating the players based on how they perform in real, regular-season games. That's a much better indicator of talent and/or the drive to win in a player than how they perform in OTA's or pre-season.

Ah...so you're saying the Bills need 5 or 6 regular season games to figure out who are their best players, while the rest of the NFL figures that out before the season opener. Thanks for clearing that up. So after this Sunday, hopefully Chan/Buddy will finally know who should be starting, who should be benched, and who should be released of traded. Can we wipe the slate clean and re-start the season at 0-0 after the bye week? :blink:

(And regarding Trent Edwards, Gailey/Nix should have figured out from tape of previous seasons that Edwards didn't have the mentality or physical tools be be a starting NFL QB, and should have been working Brohm with the starting offensive unit throughout training camp and in every preseason game.)

I hate to think how many regular season games we'll have to burn finalizing our roster when the NFL goes to 18 regular and only 2 preseason games.

LMAO.

You forgot to add:

Extend non-performers, Chris Kelsay

Draft in areas of non need: CJ Spiller

Don't address weaknesses: Oline - D-Line - ETC - ETC - ETC

Yeah, keep it up Buddy, I'm right there with ya too! :wallbash:

Maybe next year we'll take Mark Ingram with the #1 pick to be the feature back, and Spiller can be the change of pace back. We'll then trade Freddy J for a #5, and we'll really be rolling then.

CMON man!

That is just retarded and it WILL cost them! (Now in a year, we have to go out and draft Jackson's replacement...somebody who can pound the ball and be the #1 RB...SPILLER will not cut it as a workhorse!)

How high of a draft pick did we need to spend to get Fred Jackson?

Not if we didn't want to win this year.....doing that would make the team competative enough to go at least 8-8.....someting they DONT want....its either playoffs or 0-16

We need a QB to biuld around in the worst kind of way.....we need to be in the "Sam Bradford" range in this upcoming draft

Have you considered that a number of the players, maybe even more than half of them, would WANT to be traded at this point? I'm not trying to start any chit here, but the team is most likely 2-3 years away from a serious playoff run with a lot of holes to fill along the way. And that is going to require good drafting and trades, which Lord knows has not been the Bills strength. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if there may are a fairly high number of players on the team that are looking to get traded.

- The only way this team is going to get better is by drafting and drafting well....I have faith in Nix in that area.

- Anybody that WANTS to be traded should in fact be traded and for anything we can get....that is also the reason why we need good draft selection. Lets get some TALENT on this team.

Not if we didn't want to win this year.....doing that would make the team competative enough to go at least 8-8.....someting they DONT want....its either playoffs or 0-16

We need a QB to biuld around in the worst kind of way.....we need to be in the "Sam Bradford" range in this upcoming draft

Oh man is it ever going to be ugly when NE* drafts Ryan Mallett!!!

How high of a draft pick did we need to spend to get Fred Jackson?

Exactly right. So why in the fugg did they take a RB in the first round last year? Especially after history just scolded them with their last two RB's in the first round.

Mind Boggling.

I am not sure if YOU are paying attention or anything but Whitner is also one of the worst pass defending safeties we have and that includes Scott.......and in no way shape or form is Whitner showing he was deserving of that 8th overall pick.....we have BETTER safties on the roster. I would get rid of him before McCargo cuz we might actually GET something for Whitner.

Edited by John from Hemet

Exactly. They should decide who the *gamers* are, if any, and build a team around them. I believe Whitner is overrated and we could get at least a 3rd round pick or a player. Whitner opens his mouth constantly and Never, EVER backs it up on the field. That's my least favorite kind of football player. (Favorite of course being the guy who says nothing and always brings it. See Troy Polamalu while we're talking about safeties.) I have always liked Evans, on and off the field, and I believe he would be an absolute beast in this league if he had been drafted by a team with a decent quarterback and one system since 2004. If he had been drafted by the Colts, I believe he'd be putting out Marvin Harrison-level of production. Unfortunate that he was drafted by a team that never found any footing at QB or at HC. A 2nd round pick ought to be attainable for him. I'd hate to let him go for less.

I'd like to say Kelsay but for some reason we're paying him newly minted 6 mil per. I will never in my life understand why the Bills think he deserves that or is even close to being worth that, but I do suspect it has to do with Ralph, who tends to have his favorite guys. Kelsay was so bad last week I...I wanted to drive to Buffalo and, well, leave a strongly worded letter for him on his windshield wipers. Or something.

I'd take a 7th round pick for McCargone. He's at best an inconsistent 3-technique who flashes just enough times to tease you into thinking he might become a reliable starter sometime in the next nine years.

Poz doesn't impact much, McKelvin does from time to time but of course never in a winning effort, and I'm starting to believe that the early returns on Maybin weren't just early returns but a visible ceiling. These are high picks that you just can't miss on like that. And Keith Ellison is so clearly built for the Tampa-2 that it's just plain bizarre that he's still on the team. If we can get a ham sandwich, fine. It's not like he's going to make us regret it down the road.

Take as much currency into next April's draft as possible, overpay a little for the right GAMERS to come to Buffalo in free agency, and maybe we'll be on to something.

Maybe.

Whitner does not need to go anywhere, he may not have not performed as a 1st round shoud have but he is better than G Wilson and Scott

Did we not draft 2 LB's in the draft this year Moats and Batten....

AMEN!!

I dont agree that he is better then Wilson or Scott.....Scott is a better run defender and Wilson can actually intercept a ball.

Exactly. They should decide who the *gamers* are, if any, and build a team around them. I believe Whitner is overrated and we could get at least a 3rd round pick or a player. Whitner opens his mouth constantly and Never, EVER backs it up on the field. That's my least favorite kind of football player. (Favorite of course being the guy who says nothing and always brings it. See Troy Polamalu while we're talking about safeties.) I have always liked Evans, on and off the field, and I believe he would be an absolute beast in this league if he had been drafted by a team with a decent quarterback and one system since 2004. If he had been drafted by the Colts, I believe he'd be putting out Marvin Harrison-level of production. Unfortunate that he was drafted by a team that never found any footing at QB or at HC. A 2nd round pick ought to be attainable for him. I'd hate to let him go for less.

I'd like to say Kelsay but for some reason we're paying him newly minted 6 mil per. I will never in my life understand why the Bills think he deserves that or is even close to being worth that, but I do suspect it has to do with Ralph, who tends to have his favorite guys. Kelsay was so bad last week I...I wanted to drive to Buffalo and, well, leave a strongly worded letter for him on his windshield wipers. Or something.

I'd take a 7th round pick for McCargone. He's at best an inconsistent 3-technique who flashes just enough times to tease you into thinking he might become a reliable starter sometime in the next nine years.

Poz doesn't impact much, McKelvin does from time to time but of course never in a winning effort, and I'm starting to believe that the early returns on Maybin weren't just early returns but a visible ceiling. These are high picks that you just can't miss on like that. And Keith Ellison is so clearly built for the Tampa-2 that it's just plain bizarre that he's still on the team. If we can get a ham sandwich, fine. It's not like he's going to make us regret it down the road.

Take as much currency into next April's draft as possible, overpay a little for the right GAMERS to come to Buffalo in free agency, and maybe we'll be on to something.

Maybe.

Agreed.....on all points

Exactly right. So why in the fugg did they take a RB in the first round last year? Especially after history just scolded them with their last two RB's in the first round.

Mind Boggling.

Yeah, drafting Spiller is what I didn't get. But once we did, I'm fine with dumping Lynch, even for peanuts.

I am not sure if YOU are paying attention or anything but Whitner is also one of the worst pass defending safeties we have and that includes Scott.......and in no way shape or form is Whitner showing he was deserving of that 8th overall pick.....we have BETTER safties on the roster. I would get rid of him before McCargo cuz we might actually GET something for Whitner.

He's paying attention to the box scores. If Donte is putting up big tackle numbers it's because he's doing it downfield after our front 7 collectively whiffed or after he piles on. Kelsay is our leader in solo tackles (though it's a particularly weak figure) for no other reason than the fact he is targeted repeatedly by the opposing offense. Kelsay and Whitner may lead the team in solo and total tackles respectively but they also lead the league in embarrassing whiffs. Being targeted so often they're bound to snag a few in the process.

Edited by Punch

Well how is a 24 year old, 2x 1,000 yard rusher, who has been to the pro-bowl...NOT in your long-term plans???

Comparing what McCargo is worth to this team with what Whitner is worth to this team...is a complete joke!

With respect to Lynch... InCorrect! He is not in the long term plans because as soon as he is a free agent, he is out of here. Do you really want to franchise the guy to keep him on the team, so he can get into more trouble and get suspended for a year? Oh by the way, Lynch backed into the Pro Bowl when the guy actually selected (forget who) backed out from playing.

With respect to McCargo... Correct! At least Whitner can/has contributed SOMETHING to the cause, what's Escargo done for his 1st round draft expenditure.

Yeah, drafting Spiller is what I didn't get. But once we did, I'm fine with dumping Lynch, even for peanuts.

Correct, and I agree. But what the extension to Kelsay does is it makes the Spiller pick even more questionable as to whether they know what the hell they are doing or not. And they aren't in position to get the benefit of the doubt. The Spiller pick really made no sense. But, he should be a pretty good player, so you want to put it aside, and believe in the pick. Then, they extend Kelsay, and it throws everything they do into question again, and the Spiller pick becomes even more shaky as an indirect result. So, as Buddy himself said, he's only been in charge since January. And he's already done two mind boggling things that don't seem to make a ton of sense. Not good for an org that is considered clueless by anyone who knows anything about football.

Correct, and I agree. But what the extension to Kelsay does is it makes the Spiller pick even more questionable as to whether they know what the hell they are doing or not. And they aren't in position to get the benefit of the doubt. The Spiller pick really made no sense. But, he should be a pretty good player, so you want to put it aside, and believe in the pick. Then, they extend Kelsay, and it throws everything they do into question again, and the Spiller pick becomes even more shaky as an indirect result. So, as Buddy himself said, he's only been in charge since January. And he's already done two mind boggling things that don't seem to make a ton of sense. Not good for an org that is considered clueless by anyone who knows anything about football.

The Kelsay extension wreaks of Ralph Wilson (and for the record....i love Ralph just not his decisions on personel for his team) it says "We reward players for loyalty regardless of talent)

The Spiller pick still makes sense to me because back then they didn't know what they were going to get in Lynch as he has already been in trouble and came in out of shape last year.....had Lynch not shown up, worked hard, and been in shape that pick would have made a TON of sense. But then its kinda hindsight because we actually got lucky with Joique Bell only to have to release him due to roster number max.

I say this....if Spiller ends up being a game changer and improves his blitz pickup (none of these guys are good in their first year) then it will end up being a smart pick because he is UBER talented......now we need a QB to go with him along with some other pieces....to me taht is what this is all about. Doing so badly while we are evaluating the talent on the roster that we purge the bad apples and replace them with young shiny new ones with a chance to do something productive.

It's hard to evaluate in the NFL.

The Kelsay extension wreaks of Ralph Wilson (and for the record....i love Ralph just not his decisions on personel for his team) it says "We reward players for loyalty regardless of talent)

Let's not forget, Kelsay looks good standing near a pile. B-)

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

Kelsey and Poz should be next.

Thurmam Thomas 5'10" 200# Spiller 5'11" 196#

I believe TT did just fine being the featured back..just sayin

Agree 100% I hate the Patriots but look, they always stockpile draft picks and consistantly have a good team. I know you guys will say they draft better, but think about it. Do they really? They just have twice as many draft picks so they have a better cahance of hitting good players.

This

The Spiller pick still makes sense to me because back then they didn't know what they were going to get in Lynch as he has already been in trouble and came in out of shape last year.....had Lynch not shown up, worked hard, and been in shape that pick would have made a TON of sense. But then its kinda hindsight because we actually got lucky with Joique Bell only to have to release him due to roster number max.

I say this....if Spiller ends up being a game changer and improves his blitz pickup (none of these guys are good in their first year) then it will end up being a smart pick because he is UBER talented......now we need a QB to go with him along with some other pieces....to me taht is what this is all about. Doing so badly while we are evaluating the talent on the roster that we purge the bad apples and replace them with young shiny new ones with a chance to do something productive.

John you may well be correct on this but I will say this. Kelsey was at three Bills Booster meetings last year (spoke once) and is a decent and smart guy but it got me to wonder why would a player give up a night to be at a booster meeting? The answer I got in so many words is that Kelsey is thought highly of inside the Bills organization. Think goodwill ambassador, so it really didn't shock me when I read about his extension. I would not be surprised if Kelsey was offered some position with the Bills after he retires from playing.

I remember at the Bills pre-draft breakfast, Buddy Nix stating that "this team needs talent" and that with their number one pick the Bills would select the best player available. Spiller was hands down the best player on the board when the Bills pick came up and though I wanted either OL or DL Buddy Nix was not going to pass on a talent like Spiller.

Thurman Thomas about the same size as Spiller did a very good job at blitz pickup. Only question is does Spiller have anywhere near the heart that Thurman Thomas had playing on those great teams.

Edited by LancasterSteve

Bingo! The senator has the floor. Good GM's make the moves BEFORE the season starts! Evaluate, make cuts make, additions and go with it. This is not a well run team. Period.