Kelsay extended

Coach Tuesday

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it. He was an adequate run stopping DE. Now he's a slow, weak in space, OLB. He has not shown anything for me to believe he should be playing that position. He's a great locker room guy, sure, but what does that get you on the field?

I've been trying really hard to give Nix the benefit of the doubt since he was hired. But either A) Nix is not cut out for this, B) Ralph wanted this, making it obvious that Nix is not running things and we're in for more of the same old same old, or C) (insert theory on Kelsay having leverage on management somehow).

Regardless, the whole thing is really depressing. :thumbdown:

Edited by BuffaloATL

I don't get it. He was an adequate run stopping DE. Now he's a slow, weak in space, OLB. He has not shown anything for me to believe he should be playing that position. He's a great locker room guy, sure, but what does that get you on the field?

Even that is a reach Brother. He's a little light in the a$$ to be an effective DE vs. the run even in a 4/3, other than to chase down backs after a gain.

It was an absolute waste and a step back, if possible.

Am I the only one that thinks he's a reliable all-around good DE. That said he looks so out of position at OLB. The only logic I can make on the extension here is that he's going to return to DE. Otherwise this looks like another botched move by Nix et al.

Even that is a reach Brother. He's a little light in the a$$ to be an effective DE vs. the run even in a 4/3, other than to chase down backs after a gain.

It was an absolute waste and a step back, if possible.

Is there any amount of money that he could be offered that would make you think "I guess that's not so bad."

The only way for The bills to get the Message is for fans not to show up and support the teams while they do stupid things. I was on cloud nine they cut Trent Edwards, now they F-up and Extend Kelsey. He is the another Trent ! I honestly think this organization is trying to become the laughing stock like in the movie Major League when the Owner wanted them to finish last! There is no other explanation for this move. 24 Million for that bum? Why dont they extend Cornell Green and John McCargo as well ? and Maybe Donte and Maybin also while they are at it ! This organization is a cluster Fu _ _ !

Maybe we should Make Signs

I Don't Billieve Anymore !

We just extended the contract of a guy who could not rush the passer when he was an end.

Can't get to him from OLB.

Can't cover even the slowest TE's.

I personally thought Ryan Denny was much better than Kelsay.

At least he could catch the ball......

I don't get it!!!

This is baffling and I challenge anyone to explain the logic of this re-signing. Being 'respected' by you peers only goes so far.

I challenge all of you: Identify the Bills LB better than Kelsay.

(crickets)

You can't replace all the LBs next year. It's not possible. Might as well sign the most reliable one, even if he isn't that good.

If the contract is backloaded (likely), he won't be here at the end to collect the big money.

Is there any amount of money that he could be offered that would make you think "I guess that's not so bad."

Not at all. The reason to extend a contract is basically to prevent a player from playing out his contract and leaving as an unrestricted free agent. I am ever so doubtful that any team would offer this kind of money to a marginal player such as Kelsay.

Think about it....as a DE, how many times in his career do you think he was double teamed? Now, he is learning a new position at 30, and he can't cover tight ends very well. He provides little pass rush, and isn't stout against the run.

They should have let him play out his contract and signed him (if they wanted him) to somewhere around the league minimum. Do you relize that Ralph is probably going to dip into his pocket and give him a few million as a signing bonus? :wallbash:

This was almost as dumb as extending Dick Mauron, a coach who nobody could have possibly wanted. Almost as dumb.

Edited by Bill from NYC

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Kelsay-signs-extension/58e36ec8-e282-44e4-b9aa-aac4db2f1c8c

Seriously, how does ANYONE defend this organization? I mean, ANYONE? I know there are some real homers on this Board, but even you two (you know who you are) have to be coming around by now, no?

Kelsey is currently the #102 leading tackler in the NFL with a grand total of 12. Even Keith Ellison is way ahead of him in tackles. A few years ago the Bills were unwilling to re-sign a real stand up guy and league leading tackler in London Fletcher. WTF is going on here? There is ZERO rationale behind this because no one is lining up to sign this guy away from us. No need to rush to sign him in week 4, if at all. This HAS to be Wilson's doing, that, or part of the larger sinister plan to get people so disgusted that we all just walk away. My instincts tell me it is a little of both.

Kelsey is currently the #102 leading tackler in the NFL with a grand total of 12. Even Keith Ellison is way ahead of him in tackles. A few years ago the Bills were unwilling to re-sign a real stand up guy and league leading tackler in London Fletcher. WTF is going on here? There is ZERO rationale behind this because no one is lining up to sign this guy away from us. No need to rush to sign him in week 4, if at all. This HAS to be Wilson's doing, that, or part of the larger sinister plan to get people so disgusted that we all just walk away. My instincts tell me it is a little of both.

I would guess if the Bills didn't extend his contract and instead allowed him to slip into free agency he would still get his wish to retire as a Buffalo Bill. Which is what we all want, really, just sooner rather than later. Like, Week 4.

I challenge all of you: Identify the Bills LB better than Kelsay.

(crickets)

You can't replace all the LBs next year. It's not possible. Might as well sign the most reliable one, even if he isn't that good.

If the contract is backloaded (likely), he won't be here at the end to collect the big money.

Andra Davis is lightyears better than Kelsay as a LB, although a different position of LB

Not at all. The reason to extend a contract is basically to prevent a player from playing out his contract and leaving as an unrestricted free agent. I am ever so doubtful that any team would offer this kind of money to a marginal player such as Kelsay.

Think about it....as a DE, how many times in his career do you think he was double teamed? Now, he is learning a new position at 30, and he can't cover tight ends very well. He provides little pass rush, and isn't stout against the run.

They should have let him play out his contract and signed him (if they wanted him) to somewhere around the league minimum. Do you relize that Ralph is probably going to dip into his pocket and give him a few million as a signing bonus? :wallbash:

This was almost as dumb as extending Dick Mauron, a coach who nobody could have possibly wanted. Almost as dumb.

Me either... I hadn't thought about the timing of the extension and you're very right. If they let it run out and still wanted him I'm sure there wouldn't be a bidding war and they could 'get' him for cheap.

Well he may not have been double teamed, but I can confirm that he was blocked by guys with two legs. Typically it's those ones that give him problems.

The only way for The bills to get the Message is for fans not to show up and support the teams while they do stupid things.

That will happen this year. And being that many fans know Kelsay is not good is a reason why. I can see the final 2 home games drawing 35k.

Okay. I have stood by the FO and still do...but I got nothin' on this. The guy has to go, not be extended. Maybe there are incentives, like if you come within 10 yards of a tight end as he's catching the ball you get a bonus.....and if you push him out of bounds with less than a 40 yard gain you get more.....