sullivan's new article

billsintaiwan

gailey is wishy-washy? sullivan wants to see edwards against new england again? or he doesn't? what?

the guy is like the soviet news service. same line, over and over. often right about racism in watts and not much else. i get the line that the bills are a dysfunctional franchise. the proof is unfortunately in the pudding. however this article is pure nonsense.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article196311.ece

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sullivan is a whiny little B word. He desperately seeks the negative side of every situation and tries to compose an article about it. The only "Journalist" I know who might be worse than Sullivan is Matthews in Rochester. And it is close.

This latest article is one of the worst he's ever written.

gailey is wishy-washy? sullivan wants to see edwards against new england again? or he doesn't? what?

the guy is like the soviet news service. same line, over and over. often right about racism in watts and not much else. i get the line that the bills are a dysfunctional franchise. the proof is unfortunately in the pudding. however this article is pure nonsense.

Edited by todd

Sully is just tying to get you to click the link. I did it because that helps support the only local paper and therefore the Bflo economy in some very small way. Otherwise I wouldn't have.

I think the open QB battle was intended to go into the season (if it had to). He coached Trent up and said listen last year doesn't matter. You prove yourself now and we all forget all about it. I think he was playing a mind game to give him confidence, although it didn't work at game speed, he got Trent saying and at least in practice games doing some of the right stuff, others were seemingly buying into too, even Lee.

Trent for some reason didn't have spine even tho he was given opportunity, this was a great way to find that out for sure. I didn't trust last years coaches to make the decisions and I really wouldn't have if I were him either.

I don't really trust that Trent is a good back up tho, if his OL isn't pretty damn solid. The line may grow better with time too though. I think it will and I am sure this is an evaluation year for all of them as well.

I think Fitz is more of a Gailey type QB to a certain extent. He knows that he isn't the most accurate but he moves more, can see the field, tosses up some long ones and he has the ability to lead. Trent had accuracy when he had a pair but he seems to just be too damaged. It prolly came down to who could be more on target.

We may of known it but maybe Chan needed to see if he couldn't fix him. He couldn't say ok you start the season and have 4 games to prove yourself that is just setting him up to fail and not really very fair. After 2 he knows, it was worth a shot IMO.

They say you can't teach accuracy, maybe it is true HIDK. Fitz looked better in his motion IMO in preseason, had more zip on it and he is relatively young. I could see him improving. I am not claiming he is Brett or anything but he does look kind of like a more fearless Flacco, granted his passes are not as strong armed but do we need that anyway? I know he can throw a bomb and a slant in a game. Isn't that what we need?

Lastly,I am sure Chan also is taking the progress of the line into this decision. They looked better in PS too, now in the games meh not so much. I am sure some of that has to do with what Trent was doing out there. I am just as sure that his game was hurting by what they did out there too.

Mostly I think Chan doesn't want to lose. He knows you don't change the culture by tanking the season for a high pick. The ppl on here saying that are just ignorant and so is Scully.

About his comments about Spiller, I am sure that not having all three in the preseason is making what we can get out of them more of a chore than it should be. We didn't get to see the 3 headed beast because they didn't play on the same field really til the first game. Making use of those weapons means you have to have time to see what they can do. He is our new coach teaching a new system to new (to him) players. These things take time and I am sure he is learning all the time too. The schemes should get better, the balance should be there more as time goes by.

I am just as disappointed as anyone with how they have looked the first two games but I think it is in my nature to stay optimistic or something because I'm still buying it.

Sully has always been negative even when times were good. That said, he made some good points but Gailey isn't wishy-washy He wanted to see how these guys practice himself and see who were the best players. In practice and preseason Trent and Spiller were the best but in real games they weren't. When the bullets fly trent panics and looses confidence and does what he always does and that's checkdown out of fear and desperation. Spiller is a rookie and has obvious ability and when he settles down he will explode for big gains. Fitzy is a gamer and is why he should have been the starter but hey Trent looked better in preseason so Gailey made the right decision then and he is making the right one now. Gaily is still learning the players and will have this team moving in the right direction just like he did at Pittsburg it just might not be this year.

I would keep Trent in to get the top pick but Fitz is the best option to win this season.

Hey Sully, remember George Plimpton? Of course you do. He was the famous sports writer who would actually participate with professional athletes as summed up nicely in this review of "Paper Lion: Confessions of a Last-String Quarterback" where Plimpton actually practiced with the Detroit Lions:

"George Plimpton was the first, in the sports world, to employ "participatory journalism" in order to produce a story, or in this case a book. Over the years, Plimpton put himself in several different positions for the sake of his readers... hockey goalie... prizefighter... pitcher... he even tagged along on the PGA Tour. However, none of those really hit home on a large scale quite like PAPER LION, the story of Plimpton's trials and errors in training camp with the Detroit Lions prior to the 1963 season. It even led to a movie starring Alan Alda by the same name." (http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Lion-Confessions-Last-String-Quarterback/dp/1592280153)

Why not YOU, Sully? It would be such a great service to your readers to provide that kind of insight into the inner-workings of the Buffalo Bills. Oh, maybe you could lineup at WR and get a real feel for a Donte Whitner hit, no? Perhaps you could lineup at outside LB and fend off a Corey McIntyre block and then write a story telling of your experiences as an NFL player for a day.

C'mon Sully, you can do it -- we want a writer of your talent to get down-and-dirty with the Bills in an actual practice session and then tell us all about your experiences as only a writer of your fine talent can do.

Oh, it would be a VERY GOOD read. Of course, having the opportunity of walking away from practice alive and actually writing the story would be the chance you'd have to take, but hey, you're a tough guy. You can do it! Go for it Sully, go for it!!

Edit: Oh, I'm quite certain the Buffalo Bills would only be too happy to oblige your request.

Edited by ChasBB

I thought it was a very well written.

(1) He states "makes me to wonder if he's even remotely as sharp an offensive mind as we've been led to believe." Not sure how anyone can disagree with that statement since the Bills offense is dead last in NFL. I ask what has coach Gailey done after two games?

(2) "They watched the game films. What compelled them to hand Edwards the job after he had failed miserably twice in the last two seasons? Edwards looked the part in practice and preseason, but jobs are won and lost in real games." How can one debate this statement. Then he goes on to talk about how the players rallied around Fitz last year. I can only assume Gailey's ego led him to believe he could make TE a solid NFL QB. His ego blinded him from looking at the facts. The fact is most of us knew TE didn't have it despite his preseason successs. Now, he yanks him after two games and some fans here are praising him for that. Amazing...

(3) He asks "What did the Offensive Genius figure out in two weeks that wasn't plainly evident in those old game films?" Great question and I would like to hear Gailey's response.

(4) He says "but after two games, Nix's guy is performing down to the role of befuddled fumbler, over his head in the dual roles of head coach and offensive coordinator."

Very true statement. True statement. Gailey has done little to nothing in two games. One can only counter with it's two games.

(5) Sully writes "Gailey anointed C.J. Spiller as his featured back." Then he benches him for ML. Also. he hardly uses him in the Miami game. IMHO, it appears that Gailey doesn't know how to utilize three backs effectively or better yet maybe having 3 staring RB is problematic. Either way or disagree with me, it is hard to understand what the hell Gailey is doing with CJ after two games.

(6) Lastly, he says "the guy had six months to coach 'em up and get the offense fixed. Sure did. I remember reading how this was going to happen. I remember all those delusional posts. In fact, I was even starting to believe them. It only took me two games to what up back to reality. Sully goes on to say "instead, it seems like he's making things up as he goes along." Sure does and nothing is more evident by the starting and benching of TE after two games. So much for the confidence factor...

I have to commend Sully on writing such a descriptive and accurate piece. Thanks for trying to hold this organization accountable and thanks for being blunt and honest even it is negative. Thanks for not blindly jumping on the Gailey/Nix bandwagon. I don't want to read some half truths, sugar coated articles, and fact less optimistic proproganda.

Kudos to Sully.

Edited by mpl6876

I think Sully has it dead wrong on this occasion. Benching Edwards after two weeks IS a move of desperation, but not out of weakness. It was obvious to anyone watching that Trent just can't or won't pull the trigger, and he lacks fire or "want to." One thing we know we'll get from Fitz is a guy who will do anything he can to make plays. He's Flutie-esque in a way. Folks do realize he had a winning record with the Bills last year, right? Remember how Flutie made a sub-par OL look better? Watch what happens with Fitz in there. He is not the answer, long term, but he's a much better solution right now than the crap we just watched for two weeks.

I'd wager Gailey earned a lot of respect from the vets on the team when he made this announcement, because I guarantee every one of them know it's the right call.

I think Sully has it dead wrong on this occasion. Benching Edwards after two weeks IS a move of desperation, but not out of weakness. It was obvious to anyone watching that Trent just can't or won't pull the trigger, and he lacks fire or "want to." One thing we know we'll get from Fitz is a guy who will do anything he can to make plays. He's Flutie-esque in a way. Folks do realize he had a winning record with the Bills last year, right? Remember how Flutie made a sub-par OL look better? Watch what happens with Fitz in there. He is not the answer, long term, but he's a much better solution right now than the crap we just watched for two weeks.

I'd wager Gailey earned a lot of respect from the vets on the team when he made this announcement, because I guarantee every one of them know it's the right call.

Funny how you give coach Gailey so much credit for making this move. That amazing me!

Here is my take. I blame Gailey for not starting Fitz in the first place. Your words are Fitz he is a "much better solution," "had a winning record last year," pulls the trigger, has the fire, etc...

How bout holding Gailey accountable... Respect comes from winning and so far Gailey is 0-2 and likely to be 0-4.

Edited by mpl6876

Hey Sully, remember George Plimpton? Of course you do. He was the famous sports writer who would actually participate with professional athletes as summed up nicely in this review of "Paper Lion: Confessions of a Last-String Quarterback" where Plimpton actually practiced with the Detroit Lions:

"George Plimpton was the first, in the sports world, to employ "participatory journalism" in order to produce a story, or in this case a book. Over the years, Plimpton put himself in several different positions for the sake of his readers... hockey goalie... prizefighter... pitcher... he even tagged along on the PGA Tour. However, none of those really hit home on a large scale quite like PAPER LION, the story of Plimpton's trials and errors in training camp with the Detroit Lions prior to the 1963 season. It even led to a movie starring Alan Alda by the same name." (http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Lion-Confessions-Last-String-Quarterback/dp/1592280153)

Why not YOU, Sully? It would be such a great service to your readers to provide that kind of insight into the inner-workings of the Buffalo Bills. Oh, maybe you could lineup at WR and get a real feel for a Donte Whitner hit, no? Perhaps you could lineup at outside LB and fend off a Corey McIntyre block and then write a story telling of your experiences as an NFL player for a day.

C'mon Sully, you can do it -- we want a writer of your talent to get down-and-dirty with the Bills in an actual practice session and then tell us all about your experiences as only a writer of your fine talent can do.

Oh, it would be a VERY GOOD read. Of course, having the opportunity of walking away from practice alive and actually writing the story would be the chance you'd have to take, but hey, you're a tough guy. You can do it! Go for it Sully, go for it!!

Edit: Oh, I'm quite certain the Buffalo Bills would only be too happy to oblige your request.

I have a better idea Chase. Why don't you put the pads on and line up at WR? Maybe then you can get the hell knocked out of you and you might actually start making sense.

The biggest worthless thread I have read since being here. Do yourself a favor and delete it.

I have a better idea Chase. Why don't you put the pads on and line up at WR? Maybe then you can get the hell knocked out of you and you might actually start making sense.

The biggest worthless thread I have read since being here. Do yourself a favor and delete it.

Oh, on the contrary, I think this thread is a great idea. But whatever -- you can have your opinion.

I thought it was a very well written.

(1) He states "makes me to wonder if he's even remotely as sharp an offensive mind as we've been led to believe." Not sure how anyone can disagree with that statement since the Bills offense is dead last in NFL. I ask what has coach Gailey done after two games?

(2) "They watched the game films. What compelled them to hand Edwards the job after he had failed miserably twice in the last two seasons? Edwards looked the part in practice and preseason, but jobs are won and lost in real games." How can one debate this statement. Then he goes on to talk about how the players rallied around Fitz last year. I can only assume Gailey's ego led him to believe he could make TE a solid NFL QB. His ego blinded him from looking at the facts. The fact is most of us knew TE didn't have it despite his preseason successs. Now, he yanks him after two games and some fans here are praising him for that. Amazing...

(3) He asks "What did the Offensive Genius figure out in two weeks that wasn't plainly evident in those old game films?" Great question and I would like to hear Gailey's response.

(4) He says "but after two games, Nix's guy is performing down to the role of befuddled fumbler, over his head in the dual roles of head coach and offensive coordinator."

Very true statement. True statement. Gailey has done little to nothing in two games. One can only counter with it's two games.

(5) Sully writes "Gailey anointed C.J. Spiller as his featured back." Then he benches him for ML. Also. he hardly uses him in the Miami game. IMHO, it appears that Gailey doesn't know how to utilize three backs effectively or better yet maybe having 3 staring RB is problematic. Either way or disagree with me, it is hard to understand what the hell Gailey is doing with CJ after two games.

(6) Lastly, he says "the guy had six months to coach 'em up and get the offense fixed. Sure did. I remember reading how this was going to happen. I remember all those delusional posts. In fact, I was even starting to believe them. It only took me two games to what up back to reality. Sully goes on to say "instead, it seems like he's making things up as he goes along." Sure does and nothing is more evident by the starting and benching of TE after two games. So much for the confidence factor...

I have to commend Sully on writing such a descriptive and accurate piece. Thanks for trying to hold this organization accountable and thanks for being blunt and honest even it is negative. Thanks for not blindly jumping on the Gailey/Nix bandwagon. I don't want to read some half truths, sugar coated articles, and fact less optimistic proproganda.

Kudos to Sully.

the man is entitled to his opinion, and certainly parts of what he has written can be debated. where he lost me was his assertion that there was no open competition for the qb spot. gailey, like every other coach, has a thought process for how he wants to run his team. he's looking for the right mix of players to get it done, and pretty clearly figured TE had the most upside for his offensive scheme. there is little doubt two weeks into the season that the offense isn't working. on the other side of the coin is his desire to win some football games.

more than anything, it's the personal attacks on the guy that turn me off to his style of writing. but, i suppose, he pimps what he pimps and gets people talking.

Sully sucks. He does NOTHING but write to complain. Let's face it this guy has probably played as much football as my 3 year old daughter yet feels as though he can call people that have been in the game for most their lives wishy washy or weak minded. Face it Sully you know crap... this move was necessary.

My feeling is that Chan is still trying to a feel for the team, which is why he is featuring different players each week. Obviously, he felt that Trent was the best quarterback in preseason, but he hasn't been able to show it during the regular season.

Bingo. I wouldn't have thought that he's featuring different players each week, but maybe it's possible. Spiller in Week 1, Lynch in Week 2 (I just assumed that was a showcase for a potential trade), and we may see more Jackson in Week 3 - he's had good games against the Pats* in the past, after all.

Hindsight being 20/20, I wouldn't be surprised if Gailey told Trent at the beginning of camp that it's his job to lose and he'd have a quick hook if he wasn't performing. Well, here you go...he's not performing and the team is searching for some offensive identity, so it's now someone else's turn.

Sullivan, while I once felt he was too negative and whiny, has been spot on with Bills lately. Who can't (besides Trent lovers)deny that Edwards hasn't shown anything different on field then he did on tape in the past? Some will say that he was the best QB on the roster, won the job in preseason (he always plays good in shorts) and deserved to start. The key point most are missing is that they should have brought in better competition in the first place! They prety much handed him the job (they knew he'd be a better sale in practice) thinking that they could turn this guy into Joe Montana.

With that being said, while I am happy they finnally sat the heartless QB, doing it after four games does make it seem like it is a move of desperation. Now if they had a younger QB in the waiting they were grooming(like Clausen) it would be a better sale; at least they could say we are looking forward to the future. The Trent Edwards defenders, the Randy Cross type will say he was setup for failure; he didn't have the protection, receivers aren't getting open; the list goes on. If the team was 0-4 and he was passing for less than 100 yds a game, constantly checking down/running out of bounds on 4th down then it would have been many Trent apologists either inside or outside the organization left. This is actually a good move for Trent for if he never plays another snap he will be giving another chance; all he has to say to defend his poor career is look...I played for the Buffalo Bills...ANY QUESTIONS?

Edited by bluv

You know what, the buck stops with the head coach, as bad as the QB plays the HC is the one that is accountable.

After what has transpired over the last 6 weeks I've come to a few conclusions about the new Bills HC.

1) He didn't watch film of anyone from last season, he couldn't have or some of the players on the roster wouldn't be on the roster and some wouldn't be starting!

This in itself has tremendous impact on the team this year. I can understand the thought of starting everyone with a clean slate, but you just gotta know what you have to work with from the start. Old-lazy-just to much to do?

2) He has NFC how to change a game plan mid game! He has no real clue how to call a game from the sideline as he can't see what the entire defense is doing, unless he is taking cues from his OC up in the booth, which is kinda lame.

The Dolphins came out run blitzing and spying Spiller to shut the rookie down, much to their surprise they found the protections so bad that they could easily get to the QB and disrupt throws.Edwards had at most 3 seconds max to get rid of the ball,and even then he was getting whacked. Gailey kept trying to throw out of the shotgun all game, very reminiscent of Turk Schonert. He didn't even try to establish a run game,just stubbornly kept trying to have Edwards throw the Ball, which was stupid of him as Edwards constantly had someone in his face and only had around 2-3 seconds to get rid of the ball. The Bills ran the "wildcat" for a first down, next play was a hold.

Down 13-3 with 8:34 left in the game Gailey goes to a spread offense with FIVE WR's and waddya know...the Dolphins drop into coverage and Edwards has time to throw !!! He then takes them from the Bills 20 yd line for an TD 80 yard drive The momentum clearly shifted to Buffalo and the defense stops them and forces a punt with around 2 min to go. You guys know the rest, they took a safety! the O line making stupid mistakes, costly penalties, not blocking well. bad protections.

What does this tell us? That if Gailey had run that 5 WR spread set from the start it might have been an entirely different game. Edwards can do well if given time to throw and has open receivers..

3) Bad Game planning- He went conservative against the Packers trying to run the ball and keep it away from Aaron Rogers, not a bad idea at first glance, but then he didn't even realize that the Packers were the #1 defense against the run last season and are returning with LB Matthews on fire.

Maybe I'm wrong here but if the Bills start the game in a 5 WR spread set and force the LB's in coverage it means they can't crowd the line and blitz all the time or they get burned for a big play...hrmmm Spiller in the slot.... wide open field in front of him. Jeez, i wonder if that Matthews guy can keep up with Spiller?

Anyway Sully is right, this move smacks of desperation.... after only two games, is he panicking and listening to the fans?

Gailey didn't give Edwards much of a "chance"? I mean how many times does someone have to watch a QB look clueless and go 3 and out to know something needs to change? I wouldn't have said anything if he pulled him after 1 game. He gave him another game and he did the same things, and was somehow even worse. Enough is enough...

Desperate move? Check.

Necesary move? Check.

Must have been very sour cornflakes for Sully this morning.

I don't see any inconsistency or vacilation on Gailey's part. It was an open competition in the spring. Edwards came out ahead based on practice & camp. Even Sully admitted that he looked good in August. When the real pads came, though Trent reverted to his old self, and Gailey made the logical move. There was absolutely nothing wrong in giving the starting job to a guy who looked the best up through September. The whole roster is wide open for competition. It's also obvious that Trent lost the offensive locker room yet again, and the move had to be made.

There will be other opportunities to bash Gailey & Co. This isn't one of them.

you can leave, too.

jw

How does a reporter cover a dysfunctional organization for a decade and more and maintain one's enthusiasm for the game? I enjoy reading Allen Wilson's coverage of the Bills and other teams. There is an understatement yet clarity to his reporting. I may be over-interpreting some of his comments and video reporting but there seems to be a body language crying out in exasperation.

In his last video analysis of the game with Gaughn and Sullivan he subduely stated that it doesn't matter what scintillating backs you draft. Until you have a legitimate franchise qb and credible OL the franchise will continue to be stuck. It is apparent that he is tired of repeating the same obvious point.

As a Buffalo Bills fan I have the feeling that I have been cheated out of real entertaining NFL football. Must it not be the same for a lot of reporters covering the team?

Edited by JohnC

Sully is just tying to get you to click the link. I did it because that helps support the only local paper and therefore the Bflo economy in some very small way. Otherwise I wouldn't have.

I think the open QB battle was intended to go into the season (if it had to). He coached Trent up and said listen last year doesn't matter. You prove yourself now and we all forget all about it. I think he was playing a mind game to give him confidence, although it didn't work at game speed, he got Trent saying and at least in practice games doing some of the right stuff, others were seemingly buying into too, even Lee.

Trent for some reason didn't have spine even tho he was given opportunity, this was a great way to find that out for sure. I didn't trust last years coaches to make the decisions and I really wouldn't have if I were him either.

I don't really trust that Trent is a good back up tho, if his OL isn't pretty damn solid. The line may grow better with time too though. I think it will and I am sure this is an evaluation year for all of them as well.

I think Fitz is more of a Gailey type QB to a certain extent. He knows that he isn't the most accurate but he moves more, can see the field, tosses up some long ones and he has the ability to lead. Trent had accuracy when he had a pair but he seems to just be too damaged. It prolly came down to who could be more on target.

We may of known it but maybe Chan needed to see if he couldn't fix him. He couldn't say ok you start the season and have 4 games to prove yourself that is just setting him up to fail and not really very fair. After 2 he knows, it was worth a shot IMO.

They say you can't teach accuracy, maybe it is true HIDK. Fitz looked better in his motion IMO in preseason, had more zip on it and he is relatively young. I could see him improving. I am not claiming he is Brett or anything but he does look kind of like a more fearless Flacco, granted his passes are not as strong armed but do we need that anyway? I know he can throw a bomb and a slant in a game. Isn't that what we need?

Lastly,I am sure Chan also is taking the progress of the line into this decision. They looked better in PS too, now in the games meh not so much. I am sure some of that has to do with what Trent was doing out there. I am just as sure that his game was hurting by what they did out there too.

Mostly I think Chan doesn't want to lose. He knows you don't change the culture by tanking the season for a high pick. The ppl on here saying that are just ignorant and so is Scully.

About his comments about Spiller, I am sure that not having all three in the preseason is making what we can get out of them more of a chore than it should be. We didn't get to see the 3 headed beast because they didn't play on the same field really til the first game. Making use of those weapons means you have to have time to see what they can do. He is our new coach teaching a new system to new (to him) players. These things take time and I am sure he is learning all the time too. The schemes should get better, the balance should be there more as time goes by.

I am just as disappointed as anyone with how they have looked the first two games but I think it is in my nature to stay optimistic or something because I'm still buying it.

Really great post - spot on in all regards!

I'm no fan of sully, but he's right on this point. Gailey had lots of film and a full preseason to see what TE had and if he had any brains at all would have pulled the plug. He apparently was even less impressed with Fitz, Brohm and Levi and should have known that he had to find someone else in trade, free agency, the draft, or even off the waivers.

What Sully doesn't mention is the fact that Fitz is doomed from the start because of another Gailey failure, addressing the problem at both tackle positions and depth on the offensive line.

Gailey and Nix made this team...let them live or die with it. Nine wins or out.

Gauiley and Nix DID NOT make this team.

Id bet my LIFE that somewhere on Sully's laptop is a password protected Word doc that he had ready to go for after the Pats game, in case the Bills got shelled with Edwards starting.

Its title?

"Gailey should have started Fitzpatrick."

Edited by RkFast

I guess im a little confused. This smacks of desperation according to some but according to the same the Bills need "to be held accountable", which is what is happening.

As for some, apparently you havent picked up on the fact that Sullivan's schtick is to write these types of articles. Its opinion over analysis, this guy doesnt watch film or break down the games. He couldnt regurgitate one stat (when he has he's wrong).

He writes articles to fire people up, to be the voice of the angry fan.

I'm no fan of sully, but he's right on this point. Gailey had lots of film and a full preseason to see what TE had and if he had any brains at all would have pulled the plug. He apparently was even less impressed with Fitz, Brohm and Levi and should have known that he had to find someone else in trade, free agency, the draft, or even off the waivers.

What Sully doesn't mention is the fact that Fitz is doomed from the start because of another Gailey failure, addressing the problem at both tackle positions and depth on the offensive line.

Gailey and Nix made this team...let them live or die with it. Nine wins or out.

He didn't have what you say he had. He had Trent in practice, and he did the job then and in pre-season. Trent then curled up into the fetal position when the real games started. So what is Gailey supposed to do? Normally you don't give up on players in 2 games but trent was so bad he left Chan no choice.

As for your point about the O-line, Chan does not shop for players, Nix does. So I don't see how the lack of depth is Chan's fault.

PTR

Funny how you give coach Gailey so much credit for making this move. That amazing me!

Here is my take. I blame Gailey for not starting Fitz in the first place. Your words are Fitz he is a "much better solution," "had a winning record last year," pulls the trigger, has the fire, etc...

How bout holding Gailey accountable... Respect comes from winning and so far Gailey is 0-2 and likely to be 0-4.

Accountable for what? His career in Buffalo is two games old. He's making immediate changes based upon what he has seen. Clearly Edwards is the most physically gifted QB on the roster. In camp and the practice games he did nothing to lose the job. It's Gailey's fault he tried to see if that would translate to the regular season? I commend him for seeing what all of us saw in weeks one and two, and making a change the vets on this roster are likely applauding.

I don't think you "get it."

I guess im a little confused. This smacks of desperation according to some but according to the same the Bills need "to be held accountable", which is what is happening.

As for some, apparently you havent picked up on the fact that Sullivan's schtick is to write these types of articles. Its opinion over analysis, this guy doesnt watch film or break down the games. He couldnt regurgitate one stat (when he has he's wrong).

He writes articles to fire people up, to be the voice of the angry fan.

Sullivan is basically a weathervane, only he points in the opposite direction, telling the wind its wrong.

PTR

For everyone that is bashing Gailey for starting Edwards this year, "Get a clue". Yes Gailey had film on Edwards from last season and yes Edwards was awful and still is. But what he saw was Edwards playing QB for a Dick Jauron team with revolving coordinators who had no business coaching at this level. He also saw Edwards playing behind a banged up offensive line. How can you judge anyone who played under that mess? Chan did what any fair coach would do. He said it's an open competition and may the best QB take the job. Trent got the nod after showing he was the best QB in training camp and then he went out and performed adequately in the pre-season. Chan was most likely hoping that he could help Trent become a better QB but if he went back to the old Trent from last year he would yank him with a short leash. He gave him two games and then made a quick decision, not a wishy washy decision, and pulled him before he could bring the morale of the team and the fans any lower. He needed to see if Trent could fair better under his system and his philosophies. We know, and he knows what Fitz brings to the table. Fitz is a good back up but not a franchise QB. Chan now knows that Edwards is not a capable QB at this point in his career and he will probably be let go in the near future. Chan did the right thing by playing and by quickly removing Trent as the starter. He knows this team is rebuilding and it's his job to evaluate the players to know what he has moving forward. Believe me, after this season there will be another huge player movement with this club.

that's dumb to say on many levels

What's dumb is letting them fart around for another two years of incompetent bungling and the franchise deteriorating further. There tenure so far has produced NO improvement nor any particular hope for improvement.

Maybe they are in the right direction...to paraphrase one of those two..start showing me the babies. (wins)

I am not a big fan of Sully, mostly because I am not a big fan of anyone that is always negative. But how could people who get paid to judge talent, not have seen what most of us non professionals saw regarding Edwards? Most of us knew he isn't an NFL QB. So now they are going to start a guy, who is at best a good second string QB. Most of us know this, doesn't Gailey? I have not seen enough of Brohm to know what he is, he must be terrible in practice, because he was given no shot. But if you know what we know why not give Brohm a shot?

Please don't misundrstand me, I am not a Trent or Fitz hater or a Brohm fan, but if we know what the first two guys can do and we have the third guy on the roster, why not find out? At least we could be less delusional and move forward.

call me a TE apologist if you want, but did you see the time Brees had to deliver the ball last nite. He had an eternity to deliver the ball. If he DID feel compelled to dump the ball off it was after hed scanned the field for 4-5 secs.

We all know how this will play out. We scrape out 3 wins with Fitzpatrick as starter, despite the innumerable times hes gonna throw the ball into the dirt. He closes his eyes and chucks the ball down the field....Lee or Roscoe will catch a few of them. meh. The defense will get a little better as the season goes. We'll play hard in spurts.

For all you d-bags talking about the first overall pick next year, congratulations. You got your wish.

Edited by marsadale