sullivan's new article

billsintaiwan

Sullivan is basically a weathervane, only he points in the opposite direction, telling the wind its wrong.

PTR

You really would have made your point much better if you would have quoted the guy in full that you plagiarized from the readers comment section below the article. How flagrant. Here's the full quote and it could not have been stated better. Well done Harry.

Sully always writes two columns just to be prepared. His other one wonders how much more Trent does Chan have to see before he does the obvious thing and benches him? That's our Sully. he's like a weathervane, only he points in the opposite direction and tells the wind its wrong.

POSTED BY: HARRY KOZLOWSKI, HOOKSETT, NH on Tue Sep 21,2010 at 9:31 am

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Desperate move? Check.

Necesary move? Check.

Must have been very sour cornflakes for Sully this morning.

I don't see any inconsistency or vacilation on Gailey's part. It was an open competition in the spring. Edwards came out ahead based on practice & camp. Even Sully admitted that he looked good in August. When the real pads came, though Trent reverted to his old self, and Gailey made the logical move. There was absolutely nothing wrong in giving the starting job to a guy who looked the best up through September. The whole roster is wide open for competition. It's also obvious that Trent lost the offensive locker room yet again, and the move had to be made.

There will be other opportunities to bash Gailey & Co. This isn't one of them.

good post!

no no...that is not how it works. You determine where the weaknesses are, get rid of the players who can't cut it, and bring in players who can improve your team. As a result you get better, and do not get worse. Can you understand that?

Vince Lombardi in 1958 took a team that had lost all but two of twelve games. That's one win and one tie had lost all but two of its 12 games (a win & a tie), worst in Packers history. The 1959 Packers were an immediate improvement, finishing at 7–5. Rookie head coach Lombardi was named Coach of the Year.

Seems reasonable to expect some significant improvement. We have gone from middle of the pack with a lot of injuries and coaching issues at the end of last season to the worst team in football today. That doesn't speak well for rebuilding.

Well, you can freak out after two games thinking that this is the end product. That is your prerogative. I'll reserve judgment until the sample size is larger. And if you are expecting to somehow reincarnate the greatest coach of all time to fix the multitude of woes the Bills have, you go ahead.

Have fun freaking out.

Yes, much like finding a negative crack in 1990's 51-3 demolition of the Raiders, one really has to dig deep to find the negative "side" of the 2010 Bills.

Let's get back to the topic. We're talking about Sullivan bitching about Edwards being benched after two horrible games. He's whining that Edwards was benched and that he all of the sudden morph into a pro-Bowl QB inspired by Gailey. We're not talking about how much the Bills suck, which they do. I think benching an ineffective QB is a good idea. Other irrational riders of the rollercoaster think that it somehow means we should fire the staff, and that Gailey sucks. And that is dumb.

Well, you can freak out after two games thinking that this is the end product. That is your prerogative. I'll reserve judgment until the sample size is larger. And if you are expecting to somehow reincarnate the greatest coach of all time to fix the multitude of woes the Bills have, you go ahead.

Have fun freaking out.

Actually Todd, I'm not freaking out, just being realistic and looking at how you improve a team. I would think one might consider emulating good coaches (Lombardi) as opposed to bad coaches (Jauron), but maybe you and Gailey are right and emulating Jauron is the way to go.

I'm just pointing out the objective fact that the existing duo of Nix and Gailey have done nothing to improve the team.

Here's a bulletin: Jackson and Lynch were injured. Maybe that's why Spiller started at RB and isn't now that Lynch and Jackson came back? :doh:

PTR

Yet both Jackson and Lynch received carries in Week 1. Not sure that your point carries water.

And I am going to have to respectfully disagree here.

On the day Spiller was drafted, Gailey stated how he wanted to use Spiller.

Spiller was NEVER intended to be the feature back.

Indecisiveness is watching your QB getting CB blitzed 29+ consecutive times and doing NOTHING to combat it.

(reference: Jauron, Jets, Revis, Edwards 2007)

Indecisiveness is watching the QB make the same obvious mistakes repeatedly and doing nothing about it.

I said it during the off season. Even the best offensive minds cannot scheme or game plan to minimize kitty.

Gailey had to learn the hard way, and it only took 2 games for him to figure it out.

So we need to blast the guy because he didn't do it sooner or should have waited until later? :wallbash:

So, scold the guy for not doing it in the off season, but at least acknowledge he reacted quickly when it became obvious to him (Gailey), and not waiting some arbitrary time frame because that's what Sully would have done.

Or worse, doing nothing at all, because that way he can be considered "decisive".

Rarely in the NFL of 2010 are 200# RB's handling 20+ carries a week. You and I know that and I didn't expect him to be the #1 back, hence my criticism of the pick (not to be confused with the player). I would categorize the changing of Spiller in favor of Lynch and Fitz in favor of Edwards as just poor decision making on a team bereft of talent.

Sure, DJ was terribly indecisive and agonized over decisions in-game. I don't think it's a good comparison to compare DJ's in-game decisions to Gailey's post-game changes at QB and RB. I just see the quick hook as being a sign that Gailey may not be all he's been hyped up to be.

But yeah, it's going to be a long season and Edwards needed to go. I'm just questioning the handing of the job to Trent and subsequently benching him 2 games in.

Sully always writes two columns just to be prepared. His other one wonders how much more Trent does Chan have to see before he does the obvious thing and benches him? That's our Sully. he's like a weathervane, only he points in the opposite direction and tells the wind its wrong.

I was just going to post that quote, I thought it was excellent...

Edited by ricojes

What in Sullivan's article is off target I ask all of the Bills fan in denial?

Factually, where is he wrong?

Note: I was on the "Sully is a negative SOB" bandwagon all preseason. Up until everything he claimed came true and I looked like a horses ass for defending the franchise.

He was wrong about there not being a true open competition in training camp and pre-season.

You really would have made your point much better if you would have quoted the guy in full that you plagiarized from the readers comment section below the article. How flagrant. Here's the full quote and it could not have been stated better. Well done Harry.

Just a note ... when the same person writes the same thing in two different places, it's not normally considered plagiarism.

Just a note ... when the same person writes the same thing in two different places, it's not normally considered plagiarism.

Wait a minute.

One is Harry, the other one is a Robot.

Surely, they're not the same.

Actually Todd, I'm not freaking out, just being realistic and looking at how you improve a team. I would think one might consider emulating good coaches (Lombardi) as opposed to bad coaches (Jauron), but maybe you and Gailey are right and emulating Jauron is the way to go.

I'm just pointing out the objective fact that the existing duo of Nix and Gailey have done nothing to improve the team.

I would call making a judgment after two games freaking out. Looking for marked improvement for a rebuilding team after two games and one draft is freaking out. Trying to compare any coach in the NFL over the past 50 years to Lombardi is delusional. So have fun freaking out. You are freaking out.

You ever see a comedian live? Did you know that if you saw that person the next night he/she does mostly the same act? Why limit your best work to one venue? :D

PTR

I would call making a judgment after two games freaking out. Looking for marked improvement for a rebuilding team after two games and one draft is freaking out. Trying to compare any coach in the NFL over the past 50 years to Lombardi is delusional. So have fun freaking out. You are freaking out.

What are you going to say when were 0-5 or 1-4 before our bye week? Oh never mind, I already know. You are so predictable in your little delusional bubble. Wake up pal, this team stinks and Gailey has "stunk up the place after two games." Can't you just admit he has completely sucked in almost every way. In case, you don't know the Bills are dead last in offense, averaging a mere 187 yard per game. I know I know its not Chan's fault. I hear you loud and clear. Wondering if you were one of the same guys who told me how Chan was going to beat opposing defenses with short slants, quick three step drop backs, spiller needed an inch of a hole to break it for a td, spiller catches the ball out of the backfield, keeping the defense on it's toes because of the great Chan Gailey play calling, etc....GET THE POINT! Gailey has looked lost and anything but creative and innovative. Out coached and outclassed. Wondering if you would have fired Cam Cameron after his 1-15 start with the Fins? I suppose not because following your logic you would have said it's not his fault and he needs time. BS all the way to OBD.

The best you can come up with is its not Chan's fault and it's only week 2. Well, as a fan who has endured 10 years of shitt, I don't give anyone on OBD the benefit of the doubt. After two games of seeing what Gaily and Nix have to offer, it baffles me that you and so many others are still in their corner.

Edited by mpl6876

What are you going to say when were 0-5 or 1-4 before our bye week? Oh never mind, I already know. You are so predictable in your little delusional bubble. Wake up pal, this team stinks and Gailey has "stunk up the place after two games." Can't you just admit he has completely sucked in almost every way. In case, you don't know the Bills are dead last in offense, averaging a mere 187 yard per game. I know I know its not Chan's fault. I hear you loud and clear. Wondering if you were one of the same guys who told me how Chan was going to beat opposing defenses with short slants, quick three step drop backs, spiller needed an inch of a hole to break it for a td, spiller catches the ball out of the backfield, keeping the defense on it's toes because of the great Chan Gailey play calling, etc....GET THE POINT! Gailey has looked lost and anything but creative and innovative. Out coached and outclassed. Wondering if you would have fired Cam Cameron after his 1-15 start with the Fins? I suppose not because following your logic you would have said it's not his fault and he needs time. BS all the way to OBD.

The best you can come up with is its not Chan's fault and it's only week 2. Well, as a fan who has endured 10 years of shitt, I don't give anyone on OBD the benefit of the doubt. After two games of seeing what Gaily and Nix have to offer, it baffles me that you and so many others are still in their corner.

Nice freakout.

The only thing Sully didn't say is that the Bills are an 0-16 team.

Ok, I'll say it. They're an 0 - 16 team. Someone explain to me who exactly they will beat this year, based on what you've seen so far. Any remember, injuries will happen, so the "continuity" of the team is as good as it will ever be this season right now.

The homers are forced to hold out on the thought "it can't be the coaches fault", it has to be the QB!!!

No worries, after enough losses they will come around and see what you and I see...a guy that was fired as OC because his offense went 2-14. Although nobody here wants to hold him accountable for that ....

A guy that was supposed to be an offensive guru and correct all the mistakes with Trent Edwards that Jauron and his staff of morons made. A guy who drafted a RB instead of a tackle because he stated that a great RB will make the line block better!!

Down 13-3 with 8 min to go in that Miami game the Bills get the ball on their own 20 yard line...the Bills go to a FIVE WR spread formation set and that causes the Dolphins to suddenly drop into coverage instead of the constant blitzing. Edwards then takes the team 80 yards for a TD drive.

That drive showed me that Edwards can get the job done if he has time to throw and his receivers are open.

So what do the Bills do next game, start the game with a 5 WR set and open up the offense? NO! they go conservative and try and run the ball against last seasons #1 defense against the run...Yea blame the QB when he has trouble making constant 3rd and longs, better bench him!

This guy is starting to make Jauron look good :w00t:.....:doh:

The homers are forced to hold out on the thought "it can't be the coaches fault", it has to be the QB!!!

No worries, after enough losses they will come around and see what you and I see...a guy that was fired as OC because his offense went 2-14. Although nobody here wants to hold him accountable for that ....

A guy that was supposed to be an offensive guru and correct all the mistakes with Trent Edwards that Jauron and his staff of morons made. A guy who drafted a RB instead of a tackle because he stated that a great RB will make the line block better!!

Down 13-3 with 8 min to go in that Miami game the Bills get the ball on their own 20 yard line...the Bills go to a FIVE WR spread formation set and that causes the Dolphins to suddenly drop into coverage instead of the constant blitzing. Edwards then takes the team 80 yards for a TD drive.

That drive showed me that Edwards can get the job done if he has time to throw and his receivers are open.

So what do the Bills do next game, start the game with a 5 WR set and open up the offense? NO! they go conservative and try and run the ball against last seasons #1 defense against the run...Yea blame the QB when he has trouble making constant 3rd and longs, better bench him!

This guy is starting to make Jauron look good :w00t:.....:doh:

Thanks for responding. It is good to know that others here share a similar point of view.

Nice freakout.

That is the best you can do?

gailey is wishy-washy? sullivan wants to see edwards against new england again? or he doesn't? what?

the guy is like the soviet news service. same line, over and over. often right about racism in watts and not much else. i get the line that the bills are a dysfunctional franchise. the proof is unfortunately in the pudding. however this article is pure nonsense.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article196311.ece

I thought Sully has been calling fr Trent's head for the past two years. Now he gets benched, at a reasonably early time in the season, and Sully is going to have a problem with it? I wonder if the editors just force him to write these crazy anti-Bills articles to sell papers; he hates it, but loves the job too much to leave. It could make for some good HBO hour long drama.

no no...that is not how it works. You determine where the weaknesses are, get rid of the players who can't cut it, and bring in players who can improve your team. As a result you get better, and do not get worse. Can you understand that?

Vince Lombardi in 1958 took a team that had lost all but two of twelve games. That's one win and one tie had lost all but two of its 12 games (a win & a tie), worst in Packers history. The 1959 Packers were an immediate improvement, finishing at 7–5. Rookie head coach Lombardi was named Coach of the Year.

Seems reasonable to expect some significant improvement. We have gone from middle of the pack with a lot of injuries and coaching issues at the end of last season to the worst team in football today. That doesn't speak well for rebuilding.

Are you kidding me? You're really going to compare the game of football of today to how it was in 1958? And you're going to compare Chan Gailey to one of the greatest football coaches of all time? And THEN you're going to say it's reasonable to expect that level of improvement based off of your comparisons?

You've lost your marbles.

Are you kidding me? You're really going to compare the game of football of today to how it was in 1958? And you're going to compare Chan Gailey to one of the greatest football coaches of all time? And THEN you're going to say it's reasonable to expect that level of improvement based off of your comparisons?

Say what you want but you forgot to address the theme/premise of his point which was "no no...that is not how it works. You determine where the weaknesses are, get rid of the players who can't cut it, and bring in players who can improve your team. As a result you get better, and do not get worse. Frankly, IMHO, he is 100% correct.

Way to "cherry pick" what he had to say and take things totally out of context.

Edited by mpl6876

I hope this guy finds a job writing somewhere else. I'm sick of him.

Based on the comments, I was expecting a much worse article than the one I found. One of Sullivan's points is well-taken. If you're going to appoint a guy a starter, you should be willing to stick with him a while. Edwards was benched after two games, and Spiller was benched after one. At the same time, I'm reminded of a line by Jane Austen,

"Would Mr. Darcy then consider the rashness of your original intention as atoned for by your obstinacy in adhering to it?"

But pithy quotes from Austen aside, changing horses this early in the season--at two very important positions--does not reflect well on the early days of Gailey's coaching tenure. My own assessment of Gailey's coaching tenure is a lot more favorable than Sullivan's is, at least thus far. But at the same time, I don't believe my opinion is the only valid one. I realize Sully rubs a lot of people the wrong way, and that there's a concern that he goes through mental contortions to see things in a more negative light than he should. I tend to read Sully's articles as lists of potential criticisms that could conceivably be leveled against the current regime (whatever that regime may be). Some of the criticisms will make sense, others less so.

Say what you want but you forgot to address the theme/premise of his point which was "no no...that is not how it works. You determine where the weaknesses are, get rid of the players who can't cut it, and bring in players who can improve your team. As a result you get better, and do not get worse. Frankly, IMHO, he is 100% correct.

Way to "cherry pick" what he had to say and take things totally out of context.

No, I'm not cherry-picking. I agree with the basic premise that you do need to bring in the people you believe that will help your team be successful. However, the Lombardi example just doesn't cut it. Football was an incredibly different game in 1958, with a much higher level of skill and athletic prowess required in the modern game. It was also a smaller league with only 12 teams, with a shorter season of 12 games.

Long story short, I think it's simplistic and wrong-headed to demand that after one season in the modern NFL that it's not only reasonable but expected that the Lombardi example can be easily imitated. Maybe Lombardi was able to immediately bring in the level of talent that put him up to championship level, but in today's game, that takes more time due to a whole host of reasons.

Pretty f'ing obvious IMO

I was wondering if anyone else thought this -- thanks for reenforcing that thought. It does seem pretty obvious based on his postings and gaps of logic.

You know, I've pissed some people off on this board over the years and vice-versa -- goes with the territory. However, when people call me out, I usually reconsider my post and offer an apology if appropriate. For example, I made a rude and unnecessary remark to Bills in VA recently and he called me on it and I apologized. Dean once let me have it for ripping into Kelsay in an over-the-top and inappropriate manner and I apologized for the remark. And I've reconsidered several other posts when challenged with better logic or a more-considered opinion. That's what the board is all about -- give and take -- back and forth -- not just a place to state your opinions, but also a place to LISTEN to other's opinions. I really try to stay flexible on this board and be reasonable. So to all on the board, I will continue my efforts to keep my posts in moderate tones and I hope posters continue to continue to call me out if I'm making a bad post -- that's fine with me -- that's what it's all about. If I don't like a post, I do attempt to attack the post and not the poster -- I think this is something on the board many need to work on.

However, in regards to mpl6876, I'll make the LONE exception -- piss off you little gnat!

Edited by ChasBB

I was wondering if anyone else thought this -- thanks for reenforcing that thought. It does seem pretty obvious based on his postings and gaps of logic.

You know, I've pissed some people off on this board over the years and vice-versa -- goes with the territory. However, when people call me out, I usually reconsider my post and offer an apology if appropriate. For example, I made a rude and unnecessary remark to Bills in VA recently and he called me on it and I apologized. Dean once let me have it for ripping into Kelsay in an over-the-top and inappropriate manner and I apologized for the remark. And I've reconsidered several other posts when challenged with better logic or a more-considered opinion. That's what the board is all about -- give and take -- back and forth -- not just a place to state your opinions, but also a place to LISTEN to other's opinions. I really try to stay flexible on this board and be reasonable. So to all on the board, I will continue my efforts to keep my posts in moderate tones and I hope posters continue to continue to call me out if I'm making a bad post -- that's fine with me -- that's what it's all about. If I don't like a post, I do attempt to attack the post and not the poster -- I think this is something on the board many need to work on.

However, in regards to mpl6876, I'll make the LONE exception -- piss off you little gnat!

Chas, I'd like to rent (or purchase) that final line for use as my sig, with proper credit given of course.

Edited by ConradDobler

I think I'll take Chan at his word.

He's looking to find the right mix of players. It's going to be a long, brutal process, I suspect, because the previous regime left him bare cupboards and his GM didn't deliver much in the way of new groceries. That's sort of the way it goes when you sign up for a "bad job".

Edwards is just a bad QB and he deserves to be benched. Chan now knows what Perry Fewell knew last year and what Dicky the Ivy League Jay never could figure out.

Sure, it is disheartening that it took even this long to re-discover America on this point. For a franchise that has wallowed in stupid decisions, it isn't endearing to the downtrodden fanbase for a new head coach to start off right out of the gate backtracking on his own first decisions that have amounted to strike outs.

However, Chan's process is understandable. As Gailey put it, and I don't think he is highly deceptive or cagey, he is about trying different combinations and tacks to try and win. On the other hand, it's quite likely (as I think he'll discover in the end) with this group of offensive players that there isn't a magic combination. (He hasn't got an NFL QB, the line is too inexperienced and sucks, and he doesn't have enough weapons to keep an NFL defense honest.)

Another approach he could take is to realize that these guys are just not good enough and that this throw-away season should be spent on developing an identity for the future, what a coach wants his team to become eventually, and for setting the bar for the few players worth salvaging. Which goes hand in hand with taking a long view, the team dumping anybody of any trade value that isn't going to be around in 3 or 4 seasons for whatever you can get for them. I'd be shocked if Gailey or the F.O. was going to admit/suggest that this season was a throw-away year after 2 games; but, I won't be surprised if there is a yard sale at some point.

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

Chas, I'd like to rent (or purchase) that final line for use as my sig, with proper credit given of course.

I'd be honored -- no credit necessary -- go for it!

(btw, Dobler one of my favorite all-time Bills -- great handle!)

Edited by ChasBB

No, I'm not cherry-picking. I agree with the basic premise that you do need to bring in the people you believe that will help your team be successful. However, the Lombardi example just doesn't cut it. Football was an incredibly different game in 1958, with a much higher level of skill and athletic prowess required in the modern game. It was also a smaller league with only 12 teams, with a shorter season of 12 games.

Long story short, I think it's simplistic and wrong-headed to demand that after one season in the modern NFL that it's not only reasonable but expected that the Lombardi example can be easily imitated. Maybe Lombardi was able to immediately bring in the level of talent that put him up to championship level, but in today's game, that takes more time due to a whole host of reasons.

Not sure I agree with you but I can respect your opinion and the tone of your post. Well done. Wish you would have said that in the previous post.

That being said maybe you should apologize not to me but the other posters for that horrendous post about Sully playing WR and putting on the pads. Borderline insulting and at least I have the "gnats" to cal you out on it. Guess you really didn't like that.

That being said maybe you should apologize not to me but the other posters for that horrendous post about Sully playing WR and putting on the pads. Borderline insulting and at least I have the "gnats" to cal you out on it. Guess you really didn't like that.

My only beef was that the mods removed it from its own thread and lumped it in with the daily "Sully is an idiot" thread. I thought is was one of my better posts and that it was thread-worthy, but hey, that's cool -- the mods got to keep the site lean. If George Plimpton could do it -- a man not of great physical stature, then surely you, er, I mean Sully could do it. He seriously could write a book just as Plimpton did. If nothing else, it'd sure sell some newspapers. He might gain a little NEEDED perspective, too, and develop a little more respect for the men who play the game and what they endure. And no, I'm not saying I have that perspective either as I surely do not know what it'd be like to get waylaid by Donte Whitner -- and I have no desire to find out. It'd sure be great entertainment if nothing else.

Done! and Thanks.

More than welcome!

The only thing you might be correct about in my opinion is Ingcognito. He wanted a long term deal and would have had to play guard, moving Wood to center. They wanted to keep Schobel. If you keep Owens you are not progressing your many young WR's. Philly wasn't going to trade Vick. Mcnab didn't want to play here. F. Adams doesn't help you in the development of our young lineman. I think Spiller will end up being the better pro between him and Bulaga when it's all said and done. We don't know for sure if Gaither was available or if they were asking to much. Why not change to the 3-4 when you are in re-build mold. Do it now and go through the growing pains and by the way the defense although not great, is not playing awful. Green Bay will scortch any team in the NFL if they are on the field as much as they were against us. So, your argument to say Buddy and Chan are doing an incompetent job is nothing but wrong IMO. Give them time before we make that assessment. I always laugh at people who wonder why we don't go after FA's. How do you know what our front office is doing? I bet were on the phone all the time but the bottom line is players will not come to Buffalo until we turn this thing around through ther draft. That's just common sense...

If you keep Owens you progress the WR's that can actually beat him out. Those are the ones you want starting on your team. Handing the job to Stevie Johnson will not improve the team.

First off sully has zero athletic ability( u could loft him a football and it would hit him in the nose) he has a hole in one in golf he smashed a 3 wood into a par 3 at 125 yards.

( as I 12 hady who plays 140 rounds a year never got one ) two guys at a bar talking trash sully one of them u would say to your buddies I will take him.

People resort to insulting behavior when they no longer can intellectually defend themselves and or their positions.

Guys well done.

People posting the same haranguing topic over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over all over this board is NOT well done IMO.

You are a repetitive and annoying pest; a gnat.

I pray to the mods that you'll be banned for crusading soon.

Edited by ConradDobler

First off sully has zero athletic ability( u could loft him a football and it would hit him in the nose) he has a hole in one in golf he smashed a 3 wood into a par 3 at 125 yards.

( as I 12 hady who plays 140 rounds a year never got one ) two guys at a bar talking trash sully one of them u would say to your buddies I will take him.

Very true. Nevertheless, I'd pay good cash money to watch a jail break rush with Sully in a 5-step dropback. Oh, I'd pay VERY good money for that, indeed! :devil:

mpl did get better after a while about it but I agree since this 2nd loss he has been crusading a bit. If you really feel that way though Conrad you should report it. That is the official line from SDS which he put in one of mpls threads a while ago.

That is what I did about a poster recently for exactly the same reason and poof now he is gone and the board is a better place.

I won't report mpl right now because he has made an effort to improve his dialog in the past and warning him at this point about crusading might be the best policy. Like this

Hard Rules.

Posts that contain the following material will not be tolerated and will be removed promptly (and depending on the nature of the offense - your ISP may be notified of these violations):

Do NOT post:

Personal "crusades" (posting the same information/opinion in an excessively repetitive manner. We want posters to share opinions not bludgeon others to death with them.)

and mpl his calling you a little gnat would fall under this

Courtesy is contagious - Just become someone doesn't share your opinion - doesn't make them an idiot.

Which is under

Softer Guidelines:

Activities that are frowned upon:

mpl did get better after a while about it but I agree since this 2nd loss he has been crusading a bit. If you really feel that way though Conrad you should report it. That is the official line from SDS which he put in one of mpls threads a while ago.

That is what I did about a poster recently for exactly the same reason and poof now he is gone and the board is a better place.

I won't report mpl right now because he has made an effort to improve his dialog in the past and warning him at this point about crusading might be the best policy. Like this

Hard Rules.

Posts that contain the following material will not be tolerated and will be removed promptly (and depending on the nature of the offense - your ISP may be notified of these violations):

Do NOT post:

Personal "crusades" (posting the same information/opinion in an excessively repetitive manner. We want posters to share opinions not bludgeon others to death with them.)

and mpl his calling you a little gnat would fall under this

Courtesy is contagious - Just become someone doesn't share your opinion - doesn't make them an idiot.

Which is under

Softer Guidelines:

Activities that are frowned upon:

Point taken, Bow. Just to clarify though, that it's not MPL's opinion that caused me to call him a gnat, it's his tactics. If you check, I don't post that often, but I'm here multiple times a day. To see nearly every thread with a 4 month/+900 posts member posting the same basic stuff in every one gets to me.

Edited by ConradDobler

LOL I understand dude, I understand. I had him blocked for a while :rolleyes:

I'm not going to sit here and say I'm proud of name-calling on the board, but it is what it is. I come to this board in hopes of intelligent dialogue on relevant Bills news and this pest keeps coming around. It's like laying out a blanket for a Sunday picnic to kick back and enjoy some time with your family or friends and suddenly you're swatting at gnats for the next 30 minutes -- it's a total drag and just saps the enjoyment from the experience of posting and surfing the posts. And I don't say this because he routinely attempts to shred my credibility -- that comes with the territory in a public forum. However, the incessant crusading and repetitive nature of his posts just becomes predictable after a short while -- very gnat-like.

Edit: And I could even stand a little bit of crusading if it was actually for something, but he crusades against the team at every possible turn. Gailey's an idiot for starting Trent. Gailey's an idiot for benching Trent. Why can't we be like other teams and make deals and win now. We have to lose all our games and get the top pick (so I can shred the front office NEXT year for the guy they use it on). The dude has some issues. Yeah, 10+ years of losing football is no fun, but the incessant railing against the players, the coaches, the staff, the front office, the owner, the groundskeepers for all I know -- it just gets absurd after a while.

Edited by ChasBB

I think I'll take Chan at his word.

He's looking to find the right mix of players. It's going to be a long, brutal process, I suspect, because the previous regime left him bare cupboards and his GM didn't deliver much in the way of new groceries. That's sort of the way it goes when you sign up for a "bad job".

Edwards is just a bad QB and he deserves to be benched. Chan now knows what Perry Fewell knew last year and what Dicky the Ivy League Jay never could figure out.

Sure, it is disheartening that it took even this long to re-discover America on this point. For a franchise that has wallowed in stupid decisions, it isn't endearing to the downtrodden fanbase for a new head coach to start off right out of the gate backtracking on his own first decisions that have amounted to strike outs.

However, Chan's process is understandable. As Gailey put it, and I don't think he is highly deceptive or cagey, he is about trying different combinations and tacks to try and win. On the other hand, it's quite likely (as I think he'll discover in the end) with this group of offensive players that there isn't a magic combination. (He hasn't got an NFL QB, the line is too inexperienced and sucks, and he doesn't have enough weapons to keep an NFL defense honest.)

Another approach he could take is to realize that these guys are just not good enough and that this throw-away season should be spent on developing an identity for the future, what a coach wants his team to become eventually, and for setting the bar for the few players worth salvaging. Which goes hand in hand with taking a long view, the team dumping anybody of any trade value that isn't going to be around in 3 or 4 seasons for whatever you can get for them. I'd be shocked if Gailey or the F.O. was going to admit/suggest that this season was a throw-away year after 2 games; but, I won't be surprised if there is a yard sale at some point.

Why is this coach getting a pass already, I don't get it?

Look at the Redskins, HC comes in and doesn't like the QB and BOOM gone! New QB with McNabb.- QB FIXED!

O line needs upgrading so they draft a LT with first pick and trade with Saints for a pro bowl RT-O line FIXED

They need an experienced OC & DC so he hires them and doesn't try and do everything himself- coaching fixed

The Redskins were in almost the exact same boat as the Buffalo Bills in every aspect, changing from a 4-3 to a 3-4 all new coaches, new schemes. I have much more faith in the Redskins righting the ship long before the Bills do simply because they have made the proper moves THIS YEAR!

Both Nix and Gailey made me very skeptical about the future of this team with their off season moves(or lack of), the GM stating he is going to get some sleep as free agency begins and then brings in Cornell Green for 3 mil....not many seem to be bothered by this.

I <3 the Bills and want to see them win asap and not thru some ""long brutal process"", its been 10 years of rebuilding as the entire decade has been wasted by hiring bums that shouldn't have been hired as head coaches. Bad GM no GM old GM

Maybe its getting old and I'm getting on others nerves if so... I apologize. I just want to win now and can't wrap my head around why this should take three years or this should be a 'throw away season" Apparently Gailey wants to win now also or he wouldn't have benched Edwards