Calloway Cut

AllDayADay

Someone please explain to me the difference between a 7th round pick and a UDFA. Because if Howard makes the team (and i'd bet anything he will, since he's been running with the 1's a lot), that's just as good as a 7th rounder making the team.

There is very little difference between your average 5th-7th round pick and your average UDFA.

Yeah, you really count on a lot from those 7th round (216th overall) draft picks. :doh:

you beat me to it.

To you guys who continually bi-atch abut the line. Honestly, I really think its time you just get over it. They've done what they've done, or havent done, and this is what we're going into this season with. They could be good. No one really freakin knows. and if you say you do, you'd just be a complete liar. and this goes for qbs too. I know its your right to b-tch and moan, but its my right to b-tch and moan about your b-itching and moaning. but we are all here reading the same stuff every day over and over again and the seasons about to start and it would really be a nice change of pace if we all just got behind our team for once. Lets look forward not behind. For the sake of my sanity and probably a bunch of others on here as well, can we at least just give this coach a few games to see what product he puts on the field. Just give me a couple weeks free of the doom and gloom. It would be so nice. Please and thank you.

......I know, I know, its just a pipe dream but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Hope it was injury-related, or it's yet another draft day mistake by this unaccountable FO.

And btw, with Wang injured, that means there are no draft picks helping this year's offensive line. What a crock.

My guess is that he will clear waivers and go to the practice squad. I would think that if he had any immediate potential they wouldn't be waiving him.

We should be pissed at the Bills for failing and refusing to add depth to their offensive line during the offseason. That's hardly a "crusade." Despite it being their weakest position by far, they drafted 2 offensive linemen. One of them they've already cut, and the other one looked significantly overmatched before getting injured. And the only FA addition of note, Cornell Green, has looked absolutely horrible.

We are one injury away from total, epic disaster along the front five. There is no depth whatsoever. Incredibly, they let two quality depth players (Incognito and Scott) walk away for no reason, and those two were promptly scooped up by far more competent organizations.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Hell, you're Chicken Freaking Little. You've done plenty of warning for all of us, believe me. The problem is, it's not as if we're worried about a fall from greatness. Only a blind man doesn't look at what Nix and Gailey have done in a very short time and feel some level of optimism for the future.

Now, please return to your crusade.

I agree 100%. My threads have been titled: "Lack of OT's Kills Bills Again" and "Worst Tackle Tandem in the NFL" . I have been saying since summer that Nix screwed this team for the year before it started by not addressing the biggest weakness on the offense. I get responses like "you cant fix everything" which is BS when there's no cap and we have a low payroll and don't have to pay Schoebels 8mil. No excuse for not shoring up our Oline this year. If CORNHOLE is the best we could do we deserve an "epic disaster" end to a promising season.

Alright.

Read the bolded above and then answer this question.

A Bills "fan" is saying in essence, that the team deserves to be punished with a disastrous season because in the poster's opinion, they didn't do enough to shore up the offensive line.

What sort of really screwy mentality is this? This person would rather be right than see the Bills do well. And he's not the only one. What a really twisted mentality.

We should be pissed at the Bills for failing and refusing to add depth to their offensive line during the offseason. That's hardly a "crusade." Despite it being their weakest position by far, they drafted 2 offensive linemen. One of them they've already cut, and the other one looked significantly overmatched before getting injured. And the only FA addition of note, Cornell Green, has looked absolutely horrible.

We are one injury away from total, epic disaster along the front five. There is no depth whatsoever. Incredibly, they let two quality depth players (Incognito and Scott) walk away for no reason, and those two were promptly scooped up by far more competent organizations.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

What is your opinion on Cordaro Howard? Sean Allen?

Hope it was injury-related, or it's yet another draft day mistake by this unaccountable FO.

And btw, with Wang injured, that means there are no draft picks helping this year's offensive line. What a crock.

Man! Wishing an injury on someone ... That's harsh!

:ph34r:

I am not sure who is in the over-reaction mode

Please read his post before you reply. He said "no draft picks helping this years OL", not the offense. Unless you have figured out some convoluted way to says presence of CJ Spiller will make a difference on the OL.

You really don't believe that a running back can make an offensive line better? I'm sure there are 32 head coaches out there in the NFL that will disagree with you...

Hell, you're Chicken Freaking Little. You've done plenty of warning for all of us, believe me. The problem is, it's not as if we're worried about a fall from greatness. Only a blind man doesn't look at what Nix and Gailey have done in a very short time and feel some level of optimism for the future.

Now, please return to your crusade.

Right, so now I'm crusading. By posting about my frustration with OBD for refusing to add depth to the line, in a thread about one of this year's two drafted linemen being an early roster cut. Come on man.

I too am optimistic about Nix and Gailey. I like what I saw on Saturday. But they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt yet, as they've done almost nothing to address the weakest part of this team. It amazes me that folks refuse to see this, and that there are threads here - during week 3 of the preseason - comparing Spiller to Barry freakin' Sanders. Yeah, I'm the one overreacting. Ok.

Right, so now I'm crusading. By posting about my frustration with OBD for refusing to add depth to the line, in a thread about one of this year's two drafted linemen being an early roster cut. Come on man.

I too am optimistic about Nix and Gailey. I like what I saw on Saturday. But they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt yet, as they've done almost nothing to address the weakest part of this team. It amazes me that folks refuse to see this, and that there are threads here - during week 3 of the preseason - comparing Spiller to Barry freakin' Sanders. Yeah, I'm the one overreacting. Ok.

I hear ya, but pre-season isn't over yet. Things may just work out, you just never know. Once/If the OL is a disaster again in the regular season, that's the time to slam the front office for dropping the ball... or to pat them on the back if some of these players step up. Time will tell, judge by the bottom-line results.

He'll be PS

Yes. Every year teams cut guys in the first cut BECAUSE they intend to put them on the PS. I bet that's what's happening here.

you beat me to it.

To you guys who continually bi-atch abut the line. Honestly, I really think its time you just get over it. They've done what they've done, or havent done, and this is what we're going into this season with. They could be good. No one really freakin knows. and if you say you do, you'd just be a complete liar. and this goes for qbs too. I know its your right to b-tch and moan, but its my right to b-tch and moan about your b-itching and moaning. but we are all here reading the same stuff every day over and over again and the seasons about to start and it would really be a nice change of pace if we all just got behind our team for once. Lets look forward not behind. For the sake of my sanity and probably a bunch of others on here as well, can we at least just give this coach a few games to see what product he puts on the field. Just give me a couple weeks free of the doom and gloom. It would be so nice. Please and thank you.

......I know, I know, its just a pipe dream but it doesn't hurt to ask.

+100

:censored:

It's not an uncommon strategy to "hide" someone you would like to put on the PS by putting them in the first round of cuts. We'll see if it's true in this case, and if so, if it works...

Same thing they did with Jason "best OT in the NFL" Peters...

He was drafted in the 7th round. He wasn't in the "top 10" on the OL depth chart, because the 2nd unit for the preseason games has been Meredith-Watkins-Allen-Howard-Chambers. The only time he got on the field in preseason was in the 4th quarter, when some 3rd string OL get sprinkled in. By cutting him now, it insures that he won't play in Thursday's game, so there's that much less tape for other teams to evaluate him. It's a virtual certainty that no other team is going to sign him to their final 53.

He was drafted in the 7th round. He wasn't in the "top 10" on the OL depth chart, because the 2nd unit for the preseason games has been Meredith-Watkins-Allen-Howard-Chambers. The only time he got on the field in preseason was in the 4th quarter, when some 3rd string OL get sprinkled in. By cutting him now, it insures that he won't play in Thursday's game, so there's that much less tape for other teams to evaluate him. It's a virtual certainty that no other team is going to sign him to their final 53.

Personally, for what was written on training camp reports I'm not suprised one bit that he was released. Will he make it to the PS? Maybe, but I don't think he will.

"Kyle Calloway was the last lineman to rotate through on every drill, and is by far the least athletic lineman on the team."

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/8/5/1607945/bills-training-camp-offense

Umm, when you come in and B word about a 7th round OL prospect being cut as a sign the Bills "aren't trying to address the OL adequately" and call them an organization lacking accountability -- when this is their first year together -- yeah, that's overreacting.

By most accounts, The Bills have THE worst OL in the NFL.

We cut Calloway - and some are talking like he could be the starting LT for Dullass by the end of preseason.

Oh yeah. HE was the difference maker for 2010. No doubt about it.

Jeepers Creepers. Don't they know he's going to get snapped up right away by another team?

There won't be another Tackle cut before the season starts that has 1/1000th the value and potential the Calloway has.

Don't they know that players like that are irreplaceable? I mean - he was a 7th round pick. 7th Round. 7th Round, I tell ya!!!

Umm, when you come in and B word about a 7th round OL prospect being cut as a sign the Bills "aren't trying to address the OL adequately" and call them an organization lacking accountability -- when this is their first year together -- yeah, that's overreacting.

See and now I have to respond again, because you're wrong, and it's precisely the problem. The scouting department is not in its "first year together." It has been left nearly intact despite a putrid record of success. That is the very definition of unaccountable.

i have stated 100 times, it takes three years to develop an O-lineman. If Calloway has any talent he will be placed on the practice squad. Give the dude three years and then see what you have.

I don't see this as some clever plan to put the guy on the PS. If he ahd potential and you wanted to PS the guy, why would you cut him first as opposed to playing him a lot in the last preseason game to get him some work? The PS theory doesn't hold water.

So if they had drafted David Nelson instead of Calloway in the 7th round, you'd think they did a good job? Who the hell cares if a 7th round pick makes the team? It's not like this guy was going to start or even play this year. You can't pick a Steve Johnson every year.

Those 7th round picks are so valuable I bet Ozzie Newsome would gladly take one for Gaithers.

Git Er' Done, Buddy...

I don't see this as some clever plan to put the guy on the PS. If he ahd potential and you wanted to PS the guy, why would you cut him first as opposed to playing him a lot in the last preseason game to get him some work? The PS theory doesn't hold water.

I guess the thinking would be that you make it loko like he's crap, so no one else signs him and then you can get him on the PS. The problem with this is that why the hell would another team sign a cut 7th round pick a week before the season starts? Maybe he was jus tthe worst OT on the team, so they cut him...

See and now I have to respond again, because you're wrong, and it's precisely the problem. The scouting department is not in its "first year together." It has been left nearly intact despite a putrid record of success. That is the very definition of unaccountable.

The scouting department doesn't make the decisions....