Aaron Schobel to be Released

dgr81

Adam_Schefter

Bills have no practice this morning, but they do have news. They will release two-time Pro Bowl DE Aaron Schobel today. 10 minutes ago via web

Schobel does want to continue playing and soon will begin looking for a new home. He's from Houston, a team that could use a pass rusher.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaron Schobel doesn't want to be traded or to retire he wants to be cut so he can make his own deal- probably with a 4-3 team in the South- what do the Texans play?

pretty obvious months ago what Schobel wanted and he got what he wanted

Pay $2 million and have the same result a month from now?

That would make us as dumb as the 'Skins!!!

There was never any other possible outcome. The Bills have no negotiating stance in this situation. Schobel was gone. The Bills couldn't stop it, but would we be happier in a month if they had spent the $2 million?

Now, they just need to get Spiller in camp so we can change the topic away from "trouble with player contracts".

Gotta love the statement Buddy made just 2 days ago about Schobel not being released. If they do release him today not only does it look like you let him go without getting anything for him, you look like an even bigger ass because you are doing something you expressly said you weren't going to do. Maybe there really aren't any options for the Bills, but if you're a GM you should have realized that a few days ago and not said something stupid about not releasing him. This is exactly why I'm not willing to give the new regime much credot until they actually show me something - right now it seems like the same old Bills front office......

Honestly, what were they supposed to do?

Them, not too much. Schobel? He could have done a service to the team that drafted him and gave him raises. He should have been honest instead of using the retirement ruse and hiding behind his family. The Bills should have traded him for anything. Instead we let another player go and get absolutely jack squat in return.

I would have taken that disloyal sob to task and fined him everyday for not showing up and kept him on the team. Not sure how that all works but I would imagine we could fine him enough to mitigate the loss in his salary if not completely balance it out. Force him into retirement and hold onto his rights. If the Texans or any other team wanted him the Bills could get something in return. Now any teams that want him are just waiting for Buffalo to roll over and let the guy go.

its like what i was saying in the other thread -- all schobel had to say was "hey ill be on the plane in August 15 -- see you soon" and we would either have to release, or pay him to eat up a roster spot (assuming he wouldnt be "ready" to play OLB).... there was little to no chance of a trade with every team knowing this.

Gotta love the statement Buddy made just 2 days ago about Schobel not being released. If they do release him today not only does it look like you let him go without getting anything for him, you look like an even bigger ass because you are doing something you expressly said you weren't going to do. Maybe there really aren't any options for the Bills, but if you're a GM you should have realized that a few days ago and not said something stupid about not releasing him. This is exactly why I'm not willing to give the new regime much credot until they actually show me something - right now it seems like the same old Bills front office......

Schobel said hey I'll come in take my physical get paid 2mil, walk through practice and you'll end up cutting me anyways- the Bills had a weak hand.

Schobel said hey I'll come in take my physical get paid 2mil, walk through practice and you'll end up cutting me anyways- the Bills had a weak hand.

Agreed - we are not professional front office people and we all knew that, but Nix had to know it, too - why say something stupid 2 days ago when you have to know that there's a very good chance you're going to have to eat your words? Spiller's agent has got to be thinking he's dealing with a bunch of absolute fools and in no mood to try and bargain...

Hope those posters on the other thread thinking our "new regime" was going to get something for him learned a valuable lesson.

As I wrote, he was either going to retire to get released. He held all of the cards.

Avoiding this situation would have required forethought and lots of working of the phones starting in January.

3 Points on this

1) As Florio says, the Bills blinked

2) As I have said, Schobel just totally punked the Bills. It didn't smell right from the start and now we know why. Schobel might have been seriously considering retirement. But, it sounds more like, he was only considering retirement playing for the BILLS. I imagine his agent finally said, "hey listen, there are ways out of here".... And he said, "okay, lets do it". This is a way bigger insult to the fans and organization than anything McGahee, Lynch, Peters or everyones favorite punching bag (for no reason) Aaron Maybin have done. Schobel could have easily demanded a trade either publicly or privately and the Bills could have gotten something in return. Now all that happened is that Buddy Nix looks like a moron.

3) The organization really screwed the pooch on this one. Maybe they believed the retirement ruse. I dunno. But, they just got hoodwinked no matter what. If they knew Aaron was unhappy, they should have looked for trading partners a long time ago. Sure, some can point to the Favre comparison and what he did to the Packers. Difference is, Favre actually retired, the team didn't really have much authority to do anything. Schobel was under contract up until today. Nix should have known better. He had two choices, 1) hold out hope that Schobel was going to come back (which is what the organization did) 2) Figure out the real story with Schobel and his agent and work on a trade. You can't tell me with a straight face that Schobel wouldn't have wanted to be traded to the Texans this offseason. THe retirement issue wasn't about football. It was about Buffalo.

Once again the front office is setting the tone for the organization, and that tone seems to be, "we're all talk and can easily be run over". Gotta show something better than that to get some optimism from me.

3) The organization really screwed the pooch on this one. Maybe they believed the retirement ruse. I dunno. But, they just got hoodwinked no matter what. If they knew Aaron was unhappy, they should have looked for trading partners a long time ago. Sure, some can point to the Favre comparison and what he did to the Packers. Difference is, Favre actually retired, the team didn't really have much authority to do anything. Schobel was under contract up until today. Nix should have known better. He had two choices, 1) hold out hope that Schobel was going to come back (which is what the organization did) 2) Figure out the real story with Schobel and his agent and work on a trade. You can't tell me with a straight face that Schobel wouldn't have wanted to be traded to the Texans this offseason. THe retirement issue wasn't about football. It was about Buffalo.

Yeah, but how many teams, including Houston, were going to pick up that contract? Cuz that's what happens in a trade.

Agreed - we are not professional front office people and we all knew that, but Nix had to know it, too - why say something stupid 2 days ago when you have to know that there's a very good chance you're going to have to eat your words? Spiller's agent has got to be thinking he's dealing with a bunch of absolute fools and in no mood to try and bargain...

What stupid thing did Nix say? IIRC, he just said we've reached a point where 7 months is enough and we're making the decision for him, and AS was on the DNR list.

Apparently you didn't read the rest of my post. <_<

I did read it. Still doesn't make any sense. Paying him $2M and let him retire. I wish my boss would do that for me. The guy did not want to play here. No one will trade for him at $8M. The Bills screw up a lot but there was not much they could with this.

When is the last time this organization won that game with a player, agent, or coach?

Marshawn Lynch....They showed who runs the show..

Schoebel is a different issue. He did not want to play here anymore since the Bills are rebuilding...He would prefer a contender...May be the Dallas Cowboys will go after him....Or Miami...They lost some of their DEs during the off season.

Dad gum it Buddy... huh huh. Old man looks like a total buffoon AGAIN. How can this organization be trusted to this red neck geezer. 48 Hours Ago - "read my lips - Aaron Schoebel will never be released." 48 hours later while taking his normal 4 hour afternoon nap - he gets released. Embarrassing truly embarrassing. But...but....."he's a football guy." He's just asleep at the switch and full of lies like every other "GM" this organization has ever had. And frankly his country bumpkin act is looking less like an act with every decision.

At least stop screwing around with Spiller now. Let Ralph sleep in bed with his 8 million in twenties then turn it over to CJ.