Aaron Schobel to be Released

dgr81

Gotta love the statement Buddy made just 2 days ago about Schobel not being released. If they do release him today not only does it look like you let him go without getting anything for him, you look like an even bigger ass because you are doing something you expressly said you weren't going to do. Maybe there really aren't any options for the Bills, but if you're a GM you should have realized that a few days ago and not said something stupid about not releasing him. This is exactly why I'm not willing to give the new regime much credot until they actually show me something - right now it seems like the same old Bills front office......

Buddy isn't running the team, Ralph Wilson is. Buddy meant well imo but was overruled by the 6 mil. going into Ralph's pocket, and that's all she wrote.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but how many teams, including Houston, were going to pick up that contract? Cuz that's what happens in a trade.

Actually, a new team could have redone his contract. But the $2M was guaranteed. So no one was going to pick up the contract AND trade a pick. Especially when he was contemplating retirement.

I did read it. Still doesn't make any sense. Paying him $2M and let him retire. I wish my boss would do that for me. The guy did not want to play here. No one will trade for him at $8M. The Bills screw up a lot but there was not much they could with this.

Okay then, you didn't understand my post. Again, if he retires, the Bills can go after the unamortized portion of his signing bonus, which is well in excess of the $2M roster bonus. I'm assuming that since they didn't put the screws to Schobel this way, it means they didn't want him back playing for them, which would have been his only recourse outside of retiring and paying back a chunk of money.

You can complain that the Bills should have been more proactive about this, anticipated it much earlier and acted to trade Schobel.

But I seriously doubt that any team in the NFL would have traded for him, because they would have had to assume his contract, in addition to giving up trade compensation.

If the Bills do release him and he signs with another team (Houston seems like the popular guess), look at what he ends up signing for.

I'm not clear (nor apparently are most of the NFL writers) whether the $2 million roster bonus is still in play but I have a hard time believing that any team would trade a player or draft picks for a soon-to-be 33-year old pass rusher who has a base salary of $6 million.

Whether sooner or later, the Bills had no leverage to speak of.

Their only other recourse (aside from releasing him) is to be as punitive towards the player as possible but in many ways, that course is self-defeating.

What would be gained by "sticking it" to Schobel and what would be lost?

Buddy isn't running the team, Ralph Wilson is. Buddy meant well imo but was overruled by the 6 mil. going into Ralph's pocket, and that's all she wrote.

Bingo. Clements, Peters, and now Schobel. The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Bingo. Clements, Peters, and now Schobel. The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Why do people keep bringing-up Clements and Peters? They haven't proven to be worth what their new teams gave up for them, and no one was going to trade for Clements (or Schobel).

What stupid thing did Nix say? IIRC, he just said we've reached a point where 7 months is enough and we're making the decision for him, and AS was on the DNR list.

Chris Brown ran a blog entry on Monday saying that it was clear Schobel would not be released. At the time I read it that appeared to be a direct quote from Nix - maybe it wasn't. I do think that when you work for the organization, whether it be as the GM or a "reporter", you shouldn't make statements like that if you know that's very likely not to be the case....

Dad gum it Buddy... huh huh. Old man looks like a total buffoon AGAIN. How can this organization be trusted to this red neck geezer. 48 Hours Ago - "read my lips - Aaron Schoebel will never be released." 48 hours later while taking his normal 4 hour afternoon nap - he gets released. Embarrassing truly embarrassing. But...but....."he's a football guy." He's just asleep at the switch and full of lies like every other "GM" this organization has ever had. And frankly his country bumpkin act is looking less like an act with every decision.

At least stop screwing around with Spiller now. Let Ralph sleep in bed with his 8 million in twenties then turn it over to CJ.

I never resort to name calling on a message board but will make this one exception. You're an ass!

Actually, a new team could have redone his contract. But the $2M was guaranteed. So no one was going to pick up the contract AND trade a pick. Especially when he was contemplating retirement.

Okay then, you didn't understand my post. Again, if he retires, the Bills can go after the unamortized portion of his signing bonus, which is well in excess of the $2M roster bonus. I'm assuming that since they didn't put the screws to Schobel this way, it means they didn't want him back playing for them, which would have been his only recourse outside of retiring and paying back a chunk of money.

Ok, sorry about that. Didn't think about the signing bonus.

I never resort to name calling on a message board but will make this one exception. You're an ass!

Sorry Mrs. Nix. I'm sure he is a good husband. But tell what statement was not completely accurate. This organization just makes it so hard to keep putting your heart in it when you realize it is so poorly run with such poor talent from the top down. Now - go take your nap with your husband so you can be ready for the early bird.

Raise your hand if you thought Schobel was going to be worth ~$10 mil this year.

. . . Thought so . . .

If the Bills had thought so, they would have been actively involved in this sprocess - cajoling him, shopping him, renegotiating his contract, etc. OBD probably made the choice before the draft that this would play out this way. What were the real options? No one was going to swallow Schobels' bonuses and contract. Now someone can pick him up for cheaper. Schobel gets his family time, maybe gets to play for a contender, and starts the next chapter of his life. The Bills save the 10 mil. and don't have to overpay an aging quality guy who was never a stud but never the weak link in the D.

Stop complaining! This is a win/win situation.

This is a tough one.

The Bills really had no leverage at all because I do think AS was willing to retire if it came to that. How many of you would show up for work, collect 2 million just for arriving, then get fired soon after? I would. That's the leverage AS had.

There is absolutely no loyalty from teams to players or players to teams anymore and I think this is where many of us get our ire up. AS worked the system to his advantage, all the more power to him.

The only thing the Bills could have done was force a disgruntled player to show up, pay him, watch him half-ass it and poison a locker room where a new regime is trying to change e culture of losing.

AS was a solid DE for us but because he was horrendously overpaid, he will always be looked at as over rated. I don't care that he had the second most sacks in franchise history.

The one thing you could always count on was when the game was on the line or when a defensive play needed to be made for momentum purposes, Aaron Schobel would disappear and never be the one to make that play. That was his biggest failing as a player.

RTB

No win situation for the Bills. Only thing I would do if I am Buddy is have a gentllemens agrrement with AS that we will release you only if you agree that NE is not an option. Go to the Texans, go to wherever you want, just do not sign with the *s.

Sorry Mrs. Nix. I'm sure he is a good husband. But tell what statement was not completely accurate. This organization just makes it so hard to keep putting your heart in it when you realize it is so poorly run with such poor talent from the top down. Now - go take your nap with your husband so you can be ready for the early bird.

Mrs Nix?...oh I get it...that's a reference to me being Buddy's wife....Let me guess..13 maybe 14 years old?

Buddy was asked the question a few days ago if there were plans to release Shoebel at the time. Buddy said no. Somethign obviously changed. the bills might want the roster spot back.

Shoebel had zero trade value. He only plans to play one more year and was due 8 million. No team in their right mind would trade anything for that.

People in this thread love to talk hard ball but the bottom line is that the bills need the roster spot back and if Shoebel doesn't want to play for the Bills its smarter to get the money back and let him go.

Who the hell is Mike Florio? He just seems like another nut job from this message board.