Aaron Schobel to be Released

dgr81

I would call Marshawn's most recent actions, "falling into line" or having a "change of heart."

It was no secret through his actions (and non-actions) this off season that Marshawn didn't want to be here.

It is documented that the Bills were shopping him but couldn't get the return price they were seeking.

Actually with Marshawn, it looks like the club did attempt to appease the player, but on the club's terms.

Clear as mud I guess. I tend to not operate off of rumor or conjecture in these matters. There was no word publicly from one Bills Drive, the players or Marshawn substantiating these rumors. If you have substantive information to the contrary I would be glad to read it B-)

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

High draft pick?

Impact player?

For Aaron Schobel?

I like the guy. Always have. But, really?

Think about what the fan boards would be saying about the GM that gave the Bills an impact player or a high draft pick for Aaron Schobel -- and gave Aaron Schobel $10 mil or so to be one more puzzle piece on a contending team.

Those fans would make all the grouches around here look like Oscar -- as long as we're doing sesame street references . . .

Have you seen his sack totals? I kicked the guy when he was down but when he was healthy he was a 8 - 12 sack guy. That can't be ignored. He was an impact player on our team and could have been so on another if not at the very least a valuable contributor.

Clear as mud I guess. I tend to not operate off of rumor or conjecture in these matters. The was no word publicly from one Bills Drive, the players or Marshawn substantiating these rumors. If you have substantive information to the contrary I would be glad to read it B-)

If you're looking for a direct quote from Buddy Nix stating that he is attempting to trade Lynch, no. I cannot provide one.

If you are looking for reports from highly credible reporters like Adam Schefter, Charles Robinson, and others, I can certainly provide them.

I don't over-rely upon reportage BUT, I think it's naive and/or ignorant, hopeful, or stubborn, to think that Lynch didn't try to force a trade out of Buffalo and that the Bills did not attempt to trade him.

No, there are no quotes by the Bills on this matter (why would they comment?). But the critical mass of credible reports, combined with Marshawn's actions/non-actions this off season make it clear to me what happened.

Believe what you want, PDaDDy. I'll do the same.

People believe what they want and construct their arguments from there. Hopefully their beliefs are rationale and objective and not tied to some personal feelings that they hold.

Have you seen his sack totals? I kicked the guy when he was down but when he was healthy he was a 8 - 12 sack guy. That can't be ignored. He was an impact player on our team and could have been so on another if not at the very least a valuable contributor.

Have you read or listened to any of his interviews? He has said publicly more than once that he lost a step last year and cant do the things he used to be able to do. He also said he doesnt practice, train, or prepare hard. What kind of market do you think there is for an aging vet not willing to put the practice or training hard who publicly claims he lost a step and lost some desire to play all together and still makes $8 million a year?

Seiously, what is with the fans of this board? Its like they have all made too many trades in their Madden games and just think they can get whatever they want for players. No one was going to give up any value for him, probably not even a late round pick.

So the front office had to choose to keep this cloud over camp to try and turn over every stone to maybe get a 6th or 7th round pick for him (which they most likely wouldnt have) or cut him and move on. The RIGHT move was to cut him and move on, this young team doesnt need a cancerous situation like this.

I love this move, it says a clear message to the team that no one is above everyone else. Either you come in a compete or you wont be here, plain and simple.

Buddy said it himself.

I am not losing sleep over the fact that Schobel isn't on the team anymore, it just seems like our front office (goes for the Sabres too!) kind of shoots itself in the foot a little too often for my tastes.

That we know of Buff.....to me that is GM speak these guys are always talking to other teams......

I myself wonder if any offers he MAY have gotten were simply just were worth considering.....just like we could have traded Marshawn during the draft we know that we could have cuz Lynch is better then Lendale White who got cut. But Buddy doesn't work like that.......

I think Nix needs to be given credit for his right calls to go along with ones we perceive as bad.

The Bills decided it didn't make sense to pay someone $8 million to spend one year at a new position. Perfectly reasonable. But by announcing it to the world BEFORE they made any effort to trade him, they lost any leverage they may have had.

I think this is what drives some of us crazy.

Have you read or listened to any of his interviews? He has said publicly more than once that he lost a step last year and cant do the things he used to be able to do. He also said he doesnt practice, train, or prepare hard. What kind of market do you think there is for an aging vet not willing to put the practice or training hard who publicly claims he lost a step and lost some desire to play all together and still makes $8 million a year?

Seiously, what is with the fans of this board? Its like they have all made too many trades in their Madden games and just think they can get whatever they want for players. No one was going to give up any value for him, probably not even a late round pick.

So the front office had to choose to keep this cloud over camp to try and turn over every stone to maybe get a 6th or 7th round pick for him (which they most likely wouldnt have) or cut him and move on. The RIGHT move was to cut him and move on, this young team doesnt need a cancerous situation like this.

I love this move, it says a clear message to the team that no one is above everyone else. Either you come in a compete or you wont be here, plain and simple.

Good post.

IMHO, the most telling thing AS said was that he'd play for the Bills or nobody.

I don't see why it's so hard to understand that Schobel has been wrestling with a HUGE decision since last season ended. Like many players that are waffling, the closer the season gets the more he starts to jones for playing. Happens all the time.

I also don't understand the acrimony towards the FO by some. The Bills WANTED Schobel to play for them. Schobel stated that IF he played it would be for them, and so the Bills acted right by their guy during the process.

But sooner or later Schobel had to commit. He obviously didn't. The FO and coaches OWE it to the guys that are bustin' hump and made the decision for him.

They were smart NOT to go on the hook for $2m if he reported and continued to show class to the guy by giving him his release now instead of later which would give AS some time with whomever he signs with before the season starts.

People are looking real hard to say the Bills screwed the pooch. Not in this case. They did the right thing the entire time.

GO BILLS!!!

If you're looking for a direct quote from Buddy Nix stating that he is attempting to trade Lynch, no. I cannot provide one.

If you are looking for reports from highly credible reporters like Adam Schefter, Charles Robinson, and others, I can certainly provide them.

I don't over-rely upon reportage BUT, I think it's naive and/or ignorant, hopeful, or stubborn, to think that Lynch didn't try to force a trade out of Buffalo and that the Bills did not attempt to trade him.

No, there are no quotes by the Bills on this matter (why would they comment?). But the critical mass of credible reports, combined with Marshawn's actions/non-actions this off season make it clear to me what happened.

People believe what they want and construct their arguments from there. Hopefully their beliefs are rationale and objective and not tied to some personal feelings that they hold.

Dress it up however you like, a rumor is a rumor is a rumor. People can believe whatever they want. Faith and belief have nothing to do with fact and reality.

1) I'll take 10 sacks for 2009 any Sunday lost a step or not! I have a feeling so would a lot of teams if they have a brain.

2) Don't play Madden. I missed that generation

3) Something is better than nothing. Wouldn't you agree.

While trying to change the subject the issue you didn't address is whether Schobel screwed us or not. The only reason we can't get anything for a 10 sack a year guy is because he bent the front office over. By your thinking we should have just released Jason Peters and no harm no foul. Your direct quote. "I love this move, it says a clear message to the team that no one is above everyone else. Either you come in a compete or you wont be here, plain and simple."

Actually, you are right about Nix and Lynch...Nix publicly stated that he had entertained offers for Lynch during the draft but they were not good enough.

1) I'll take 10 sacks for 2009 any Sunday lost a step or not! I have a feeling so would a lot of teams if they have a brain.

1) 2009 is 2009, not 2010 where he would be playing in a new system (here or elsewhere), is a year older, lost some desire to play, doesnt train hard and doesnt practice hard.

2) You should play it, its a great game...lol

3) Not in this case...one, we most likely were not going to get something in the first place. Two, for a young team it is more valuable to move on from this rather than let it drag out and be a cancerous sitiuation. The message it sends to them that no player is above the team and that everyone needs to come out and work is far more valuable than trying to dig up a very late round pick (which I seriously doubt was going to happen anyway).

Good post.

IMHO, the most telling thing AS said was that he'd play for the Bills or nobody.

I don't see why it's so hard to understand that Schobel has been wrestling with a HUGE decision since last season ended. Like many players that are waffling, the closer the season gets the more he starts to jones for playing. Happens all the time.

I also don't understand the acrimony towards the FO by some. The Bills WANTED Schobel to play for them. Schobel stated that IF he played it would be for them, and so the Bills acted right by their guy during the process.

But sooner or later Schobel had to commit. He obviously didn't. The FO and coaches OWE it to the guys that are bustin' hump and made the decision for him.

They were smart NOT to go on the hook for $2m if he reported and continued to show class to the guy by giving him his release now instead of later which would give AS some time with whomever he signs with before the season starts.

People are looking real hard to say the Bills screwed the pooch. Not in this case. They did the right thing the entire time.

GO BILLS!!!

Come on man!!! His serious decision was that he didn't want to play for the Bills anymore, he pulled an Allan Haynesworth/Brett Farve combo and he screwed us. He didn't take the money like Haynesworth which is commendable but he didn't want to switch to a 3 - 4 even though we gave him a fat new contract in 2007. He didn't want to work with the team and used the threat of retirement to get out of OTAs and training camp.

You gonna keep swinging from his junk while you decry the behavior of guys like Jason Peters. Holy double standard Batman. At least Peters WANTED TO PLAY IN BUFFALO! Schobel kicked us in the junk on the way out the door and made sure we got NOTHING in return.

While trying to change the subject the issue you didn't address is whether Schobel screwed us or not. The only reason we can't get anything for a 10 sack a year guy is because he bent the front office over. By your thinking we should have just released Jason Peters and no harm no foul. Your direct quote. "I love this move, it says a clear message to the team that no one is above everyone else. Either you come in a compete or you wont be here, plain and simple."

Peters is a very different situation. Holding out for more money, and what schobel did are apples and oranges.

1) 2009 is 2009, not 2010 where he would be playing in a new system (here or elsewhere), is a year older, lost some desire to play, doesnt train hard and doesnt practice hard.

2) You should play it, its a great game...lol

3) Not in this case...one, we most likely were not going to get something in the first place. Two, for a young team it is more valuable to move on from this rather than let it drag out and be a cancerous sitiuation. The message it sends to them that no player is above the team and that everyone needs to come out and work is far more valuable than trying to dig up a very late round pick (which I seriously doubt was going to happen anyway).

Sorry dude. Other than perhaps picking up Madden I can't agree with anything else you said. Sounds like a bunch of excuses for a guy that won't have his opinion of Schobel changed no matter what he does. I'm not the hero worship type. I call it as I see it regardless of who it is.

I guess we will see about item #1 when he is being courted by teams OTHER than Houston and he signs and is still effective. Unfortunately your opinion and view will long since be forgotten as no ones feet are ever held to the fire of history. Yes, I am an I told you so prick. I deserve and welcome the same because unlike some others I can actually admit I was wrong and in the process actually learn something. This helps me to have the right answer in the future.

It's about having the "right answer" not "being right". There is a HUGE difference in that statement.

Peters is a very different situation. Holding out for more money, and what schobel did are apples and oranges.

Yes Peters wanted to be paid his worth to play for the team he loved that gave him his start. Schobel didn't want to play for us for any amount of money. You're right ...apples and oranges. Schobel's orange is rotten and stinky!!!!

Come on man!!! His serious decision was that he didn't want to play for the Bills anymore, he pulled an Allan Haynesworth/Brett Farve combo and he screwed us. He didn't take the money like Haynesworth which is commendable but he didn't want to switch to a 3 - 4 even though we gave him a fat new contract in 2007. He didn't want to work with the team and used the threat of retirement to get out of OTAs and training camp.

You gonna keep swinging from his junk while you decry the behavior of guys like Jason Peters. Holy double standard Batman. At least Peters WANTED TO PLAY IN BUFFALO! Schobel kicked us in the junk on the way out the door and made sure we got NOTHING in return.

You do realize that some of the other teams he would consider playing for run the 3-4 right?

Grow up, get your panties out of the wad in your ass, and try to look at the situation objectively. You sound like a teen-aged girl that got jilted on prom night.

The Bills did the right thing. That was the point of my post. Somehow you turned it into me defending Schobel. Wrong.

GO BILLS!!!