Aaron Schobel to be Released

dgr81

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry dude. Other than perhaps picking up Madden I can't agree with anything else you said. Sounds like a bunch of excuses for a guy that won't have his opinion of Schobel changed no matter what he does. I'm not the hero worship type. I call it as I see it regardless of who it is.

I guess we will see about item #1 when he is being courted by teams OTHER than Houston and he signs and is still effective. Unfortunately your opinion and view will long since be forgotten as no ones feet are ever held to the fire of history. Yes, I am an I told you so prick. I deserve and welcome the same because unlike some others I can actually admit I was wrong and in the process actually learn something. This helps me to have the right answer in the future.

It's about having the "right answer" not "being right". There is a HUGE difference in that statement.

Huh? I like Schobel and would have like to see him come back. There is nothing to change my mind about. I think he has value on the field still. However, I dont think he has any TRADE value based on his own words. SCHOBEL says he has lost a step and is considering retiring because he doesnt feel he can be as effective anymore. SCHOBEL says he doesnt practice hard or train hard. Add in the fact that he isnt even sure he wants to play yet still makes $8 million dollars and you have a trade market that all by dissapeared. Not to mention, they know that the Bills will cut him if they cant trade him and then they can sign this guy for MUCH less.

I am not even going to address half of what you wrote as I cant even make heads or tails out of most of it. No one is saying Schobel doesnt have value on the field as a player, but what he does not have is TRADE value given the circumstances. So, trying to hold out to get a 7th round pick or something and keeping this cancerous situation on going is not conducive to the team. The message cutting him sends and the vote of confidence it gives our young guys knowing they are truly competing for a starting spot now and their hard work is being acknowledged publicly is HUGE for a young rebuilding team.

Guest dog14787
Huh? I like Schobel and would have like to see him come back. There is nothing to change my mind about. I think he has value on the field still. However, I dont think he has any TRADE value based on his own words. SCHOBEL says he has lost a step and is considering retiring because he doesnt feel he can be as effective anymore. SCHOBEL says he doesnt practice hard or train hard. Add in the fact that he isnt even sure he wants to play yet still makes $8 million dollars and you have a trade market that all by dissapeared. Not to mention, they know that the Bills will cut him if they cant trade him and then they can sign this guy for MUCH less.

I am not even going to address half of what you wrote as I cant even make heads or tails out of most of it. No one is saying Schobel doesnt have value on the field as a player, but what he does not have is TRADE value given the circumstances. So, trying to hold out to get a 7th round pick or something and keeping this cancerous situation on going is not conducive to the team. The message cutting him sends and the vote of confidence it gives our young guys knowing they are truly competing for a starting spot now and their hard work is being acknowledged publicly is HUGE for a young rebuilding team.

I couldn't have said it better Dawg,

You do realize that some of the other teams he would consider playing for run the 3-4 right?

I haven't heard of any specific teams other than the Texans but it is rumored that there are others. If there really are others and some of those others actually run the 3 - 4 that would be even MORE vexing and more damning of his screw Buffalo behavior.

Here's what Chris Brown said about Schobel's trade value:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/04/w...as-unrealistic/

So Schobel wanted to fly home after games and not rejoin the team until Wednesday, only wants to play another year at most, and isn't athletically what he once was? Wow, I'm amazed teams weren't lining-up waiting to give up their entire 2011 draft for him!

Grow up, get your panties out of the wad in your ass, and try to look at the situation objectively. You sound like a teen-aged girl that got jilted on prom night.

The Bills did the right thing. That was the point of my post. Somehow you turned it into me defending Schobel. Wrong.

GO BILLS!!!

Give it a rest clown boy. Personal insults do not invalidate my points. Nice try though. So I'm sure there were no panties in a wad when Peters held out and wanted to be paid fair market value? Here is your chance to say it didn't bother you and were able to look at things objectively. Bueller?....Bueller?

My point is Schobel did the wrong thing. Now that the smoke has settled and we have clarified our stances our statements do not conflict with each other what so ever. You are not defending Schobel and I am not blaming the front office. Silly non fight I guess.

So Schobel wanted to fly home after games and not rejoin the team until Wednesday, only wants to play another year at most, and isn't athletically what he once was? Wow, I'm amazed teams weren't lining-up waiting to give up their entire 2011 draft for him!

this is not news. the AP has reported that at least once. on June 10 AP reported:

¶ In his last talks with the team, Schobel had expressed hope to work out a deal that would allow him to get certain days off to travel home to be with his family.

¶ "There would be a couple of things to change my mind," Schobel said. "It ain't over yet, but we'll see what happens."

and this in AP piece on Schobel that moved last week:

¶ Also factoring into Schobel's decision is whether he has enough time to move his family back to Buffalo and able to get his children into the school they've attended.

¶ That's a switch after Schobel, in March, said he was open to the possibility of living alone in Buffalo and traveling to Texas to be with his family on off days. He's now realized that the travel would wear him out.

jw

Schobel doesn't have any trade value because his statements and stance helped to virtually eliminate any he had. If he kept his mouth shut, made up his mind and told the Bills he wanted to be traded the front office would have had the option of shopping him. Instead Schobel did open his mouth. Talked about retiring, a shortened work week, etc. Destroyed his trade value in an attempt to be released so he could sign where he wanted giving Buffalo the finger. If he was a team player he would have restructured his contract and done a sign and trade with another and Buffalo would have gotten something, anything for him. Again something is better than nothing.

Riiiiiiight..........So why isn't he retiring again??????

Again, what's with all the wailing and gnashing of teeth? The guy was average at best, and anything that helps hasten the demise of this particular team is a good thing, IMO. Because only in death can there be resurrection. They need to bottom out. 7-9 is NOT what we need.

this is not news. the AP has reported that at least once. on June 10 AP reported:

¶ In his last talks with the team, Schobel had expressed hope to work out a deal that would allow him to get certain days off to travel home to be with his family.

¶ "There would be a couple of things to change my mind," Schobel said. "It ain't over yet, but we'll see what happens."

and this in AP piece on Schobel that moved last week:

¶ Also factoring into Schobel's decision is whether he has enough time to move his family back to Buffalo and able to get his children into the school they've attended.

¶ That's a switch after Schobel, in March, said he was open to the possibility of living alone in Buffalo and traveling to Texas to be with his family on off days. He's now realized that the travel would wear him out.

jw

I'm sure it news for some, and reiterating it helps explain why it wasn't easy to trade him.

Again, what's with all the wailing and gnashing of teeth? The guy was average at best, and anything that helps hasten the demise of this particular team is a good thing, IMO. Because only in death can there be resurrection. They need to bottom out. 7-9 is NOT what we need.

HEY!!! That's my line. B-) the rest I sort of agree with.

My guess is that he wants to pick the situation. In Buffalo, he would be switching to LB, a position he hasn't played in the pros. I'm guessing is that he wants to play in a 4-3 or Tampa 2 as a situational pass rusher, hopefully for a team close to Superbowl contention. I like Schobel, but Buffalo is going in a different direction on defense and he has no experience in the 3-4. I hope he's able to pick the best team for his abilities, but these situations don't always end well.

It will be interesting to see where he plays this year, and for how much.

I agree. I wouldn't count on the Texans being the destination if AS is looking for a payday over $2 million. He'll have to give a *significant* hometown discount to play there based on what they are paying the other significant members of their starting defensive rotation.

He might get some interest, but it'd be ironic if it was from teams even further away from Texas than Buffalo.

I agree. I wouldn't count on the Texans being the destination if AS is looking for a payday over $2 million. He'll have to give a *significant* hometown discount to play there based on what they are paying the other significant members of their starting defensive rotation.

He might get some interest, but it'd be ironic if it was from teams even further away from Texas than Buffalo.

I'd be surprised if he got more than what TO got, i.e. $2M with $2M in incentives, if he signs at all, what with the playing conditions he wants and joining a team a month before the season starts. And I'm thinking that he'll either play for a team that's a quick plane ride away, or retire.

Agree........but I can't see him getting 2 million as a situational pass rusher. Even with his experience, he's going to be late coming into a team's camp, having to learn all new terminology. Can't see that happening for 2 mill.

Agree........but I can't see him getting 2 million as a situational pass rusher. Even with his experience, he's going to be late coming into a team's camp, having to learn all new terminology. Can't see that happening for 2 mill.

I can.

I don't know what the HOU situation is, but CIN signed T.O. for 2M as an insurance policy in case the FA Antonio Bryanyt's 8M knee doesn't come around.

I agree 110% . I can't figure out why he gets a pass from the same people that have said some really terrible things about the others. Reminds me of an old sesame street song.

Gets a pass? What freaking planet do you live on?!

People have been ragging on the guy for 3 years and I could find 100 posts on this board right now saying what a selfish ass he is.

You are part of the problem.

Agreed, one less career loser, I will not miss him at all. Please let Kelsay be the next to go.