Aaron Schobel to be Released

dgr81

Everyone basically agrees that no team would have traded for Schobel. So again - what was the Front office supposed to do? I'm missing how they 'dropped the ball' or 'got played'.

Apparently every team is ready to trade away picks to the Bills for aging players and/or players with enormous contracts/contract demands and/or players coming off bad seasons. <_<

Buddy was asked the question a few days ago if there were plans to release Shoebel at the time. Buddy said no. Somethign obviously changed. the bills might want the roster spot back.

I'm sure that it was a ploy to get Schobel to stay home and retired. He probably informed them he still wants to play, but for another team. Again I would have made him report and either played for the Bills or retired.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 Points on this

1) As Florio says, the Bills blinked

2) As I have said, Schobel just totally punked the Bills. It didn't smell right from the start and now we know why. Schobel might have been seriously considering retirement. But, it sounds more like, he was only considering retirement playing for the BILLS. I imagine his agent finally said, "hey listen, there are ways out of here".... And he said, "okay, lets do it". This is a way bigger insult to the fans and organization than anything McGahee, Lynch, Peters or everyones favorite punching bag (for no reason) Aaron Maybin have done. Schobel could have easily demanded a trade either publicly or privately and the Bills could have gotten something in return. Now all that happened is that Buddy Nix looks like a moron.

3) The organization really screwed the pooch on this one. Maybe they believed the retirement ruse. I dunno. But, they just got hoodwinked no matter what. If they knew Aaron was unhappy, they should have looked for trading partners a long time ago. Sure, some can point to the Favre comparison and what he did to the Packers. Difference is, Favre actually retired, the team didn't really have much authority to do anything. Schobel was under contract up until today. Nix should have known better. He had two choices, 1) hold out hope that Schobel was going to come back (which is what the organization did) 2) Figure out the real story with Schobel and his agent and work on a trade. You can't tell me with a straight face that Schobel wouldn't have wanted to be traded to the Texans this offseason. THe retirement issue wasn't about football. It was about Buffalo.

I agree 110% . I can't figure out why he gets a pass from the same people that have said some really terrible things about the others. Reminds me of an old sesame street song.

I lost alot of respect for schobel after this whole I want to play but not in buffalo crap. On that note buffalo is doing the only thing that they can. Other teams will want him, just not at the price we are paying and certainly not if they have to give up draft picks.

Isn't it great to have two of the worst run professional sports franchises right here right now?!

Because the Sabres realized what the heck are we paying Kennedy 1 million dollars for ?

and we've seen all the other teams pick up on our mistake (crickets)

Schobel has no trade value with his current salary, no one would take it on

Marshawn Lynch....They showed who runs the show..

Schoebel is a different issue. He did not want to play here anymore since the Bills are rebuilding...He would prefer a contender...May be the Dallas Cowboys will go after him....Or Miami...They lost some of their DEs during the off season.

What did they do to show Marshawn who runs the show? There was never a statement from Marshawn regarding wanting to be traded unless I missed something. Other than posters proposing trade scenarios every single day and ESPN trying to generate news I never saw one shred of substantive evidence to confirm his desire to leave. By all accounts he is working hard, has accepted his role and is a model teammate who is loved and respected by his peers.

What do you mean?

The Bills held all the cards.

You force him to play, retire, or renegotiate his contract and trade him.

an out right release should've NEVER been an option.

Nix looks like a jackass.

You can't force someone to play if they don't want to. You certainly can not force him to retire or sign a new contract.

yeah, this is really not much fun any more. just people piling on with their imaginative whims and grudges.

jw

Exactly. Same old stuff different day. The conspiracy theorists and bound to be negative no matter what types are out in force today on multiple threads. Facts be damned.

You can complain that the Bills should have been more proactive about this, anticipated it much earlier and acted to trade Schobel.

But I seriously doubt that any team in the NFL would have traded for him, because they would have had to assume his contract, in addition to giving up trade compensation.

If the Bills do release him and he signs with another team (Houston seems like the popular guess), look at what he ends up signing for.

I'm not clear (nor apparently are most of the NFL writers) whether the $2 million roster bonus is still in play but I have a hard time believing that any team would trade a player or draft picks for a soon-to-be 33-year old pass rusher who has a base salary of $6 million.

Whether sooner or later, the Bills had no leverage to speak of.

Their only other recourse (aside from releasing him) is to be as punitive towards the player as possible but in many ways, that course is self-defeating.

What would be gained by "sticking it" to Schobel and what would be lost?

You could also claim that Schobel was/is a douche that never wanted to be here and kicked us in the junk on the way out the door.

Raise your hand if you thought Schobel was going to be worth ~$10 mil this year.

. . . Thought so . . .

If the Bills had thought so, they would have been actively involved in this sprocess - cajoling him, shopping him, renegotiating his contract, etc. OBD probably made the choice before the draft that this would play out this way. What were the real options? No one was going to swallow Schobels' bonuses and contract. Now someone can pick him up for cheaper. Schobel gets his family time, maybe gets to play for a contender, and starts the next chapter of his life. The Bills save the 10 mil. and don't have to overpay an aging quality guy who was never a stud but never the weak link in the D.

Stop complaining! This is a win/win situation.

Wrong trading a non team player and getting something in return like a high draft pick or an impact player would have been a win/win. The Bills and the fans lost their asses on the Schobel deal.

Because the Sabres realized what the heck are we paying Kennedy 1 million dollars for ?

and we've seen all the other teams pick up on our mistake (crickets)

Schobel has no trade value with his current salary, no one would take it on

I'm sorry I forgot all the Stanley Cups and Super Bowl rings this town has

What did they do to show Marshawn who runs the show? There was never a statement from Marshawn regarding wanting to be traded unless I missed something. Other than posters proposing trade scenarios every single day and ESPN trying to generate news I never saw one shred of substantive evidence to confirm his desire to leave. By all accounts he is working hard, has accepted his role and is a model teammate who is loved and respected by his peers.

I would call Marshawn's most recent actions, "falling into line" or having a "change of heart."

It was no secret through his actions (and non-actions) this off season that Marshawn didn't want to be here.

It is documented that the Bills were shopping him but couldn't get the return price they were seeking.

Actually with Marshawn, it looks like the club did attempt to appease the player, but on the club's terms.

For all the whiners, what makes you think someone would trade for a guy who is threatening to retire? Why would someone trade for a guy with a salary that big, who still can't decide if he wants to play? Why would someone trade draft picks for a player with all those things stacked against him - especially if he wants to play for only one year - if he plays at all?

All the mouth breathers who think Schoebel actually has trade value at this point drive me nuts. Think for a minute, will ya?

Wrong trading a non team player and getting something in return like a high draft pick or an impact player would have been a win/win. The Bills and the fans lost their asses on the Schobel deal.

High draft pick or impact player? Wow. This front office is even more inept than I thought they were (sarcasm).

I honestly dont blame the bills this time around.......

- Nobody was going to trade for a player that they knew was going to retire or be cut......and the bills were not going to give this player 2 million just for showing up.

- Schrobel doesn't fit this defense anyways

Now would I have LIKED to see them get something? Sure. But in the end the bills hands were tied here. It is time to move forward with the players we have.....out with Aaron Schrobel in with Alex Carrington....

High draft pick?

Impact player?

For Aaron Schobel?

I like the guy. Always have. But, really?

Think about what the fan boards would be saying about the GM that gave the Bills an impact player or a high draft pick for Aaron Schobel -- and gave Aaron Schobel $10 mil or so to be one more puzzle piece on a contending team.

Those fans would make all the grouches around here look like Oscar -- as long as we're doing sesame street references . . .

You could also claim that Schobel was/is a douche that never wanted to be here and kicked us in the junk on the way out the door.

If that's the goal, can't you do that and save the $10 mil???

For that kinda cash, I'll let you call me a name.