Aaron Schobel to be Released

dgr81

Ok, but, he hasn't shown up to camp, right? So that's not an issue right now. Handle it if it becomes an issue. In the meantime, fine him the max for every day he misses and you can get some of that back.

Then, if he does report, why not just keep him on the team?

Do people really think he's just not going to play? I see posts about "we have to pay him $8 million to sit on the bench". Why is that? He's a starter, right? So play him. Do you really think he's not going to try, or not going to get himself ready to play? He does that, and he'll get crippled for life out there by someone if he's not in shape and not working.

I still don't understand.

Fightclub I see your point I just dont think that he fits what we are doing.....Schobel is not a coverage guy and he isn't going to play DE in this scheme

Thats a lot of coin to put out for a player for that kind of production.

I think what everyone is really upset about is that Schobel "won" and we didn't get even a low draft pick for him to go somewhere else am I right? I just dont think that was going to happen given the circumstances. BUT I will say this.....it sets a bad precident for the future in the same situation......

In the end......Schrobel didn't want to be here.....so I dont want him here.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to JW's reporting, it went down like this: Nix called Schobel, told him the Bills were going in a different direction. Schobel then said something to the effect of "what if I report now," to which Nix replied "you'd be released."

The Bills decided it didn't make sense to pay someone $8 million to spend one year at a new position. Perfectly reasonable. But by announcing it to the world BEFORE they made any effort to trade him, they lost any leverage they may have had.

the only addition i would make is that we dont know if they have talked to anyone or not about a trade. if they floated it out there and other teams laughed, we might never know. also if aaron was serious about retirement as an option he had the ultimate veto.

showing up and making him play might not have been a real option as some are arguing. if the coaches dont trust he can get it done on the field at this point at that position, why would the force him to play for 8million. This isnt like peters where you force him to play even though he thinks he deserves more. this is a situation where the team doesnt think hes a fit with the transition coming this late, and aaron isnt sure he wants to be here. at this point hed be playing a new position, and theres no reason to believe hed play it any better then anyone else on the roster.

All this stuff about "he's untradeable - let him go!" kinda misses an obvious point. He's an excellent football player, and non-Bills fans who know the game know it. According to Advanced NFL stats, he was the most effective DE in the league last year. Now one might quibble with their system, which is quite complicated, but the rest of the list seems plausibly ordered and they measure for a lot of factors.

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/defendersta...&season=reg

All this stuff about "he's untradeable - let him go!" kinda misses an obvious point. He's an excellent football player, and non-Bills fans who know the game know it. According to Advanced NFL stats, he was the most effective DE in the league last year. Now one might quibble with their system, which is quite complicated, but the rest of the list seems plausibly ordered and they measure for a lot of factors.

being a great DE and a great OLB are very different.

all you proved to me is that they should have schemed around the talent they had instead of forcing a system if they wanted him on this defense.

See and to me that begs the question of why we insisted on switching to a 3-4 this season. We don't have the players for that system, and the switch rendered our best defensive player obsolete (and perhaps our second best defensive player as well - Stroud). We don't have a nose, the most important piece of the 3-4 puzzle, or a passrushing defensive end. IMO it's almost as insane as deciding last year to run the no-huddle, but no one seems to be discussing it.

being a great DE and a great OLB are very different.

all you proved to me is that they should have schemed around the talent they had instead of forcing a system if they wanted him on this defense.

Agreed it is a total position switch.....

Schobel as a DE in a 3-4.......gonna get run over cuz he just is not big enough.....and since 3-4 DE's main job is to tie up blockers that would take away from his pass rush ability I dont care how "country strong" he is

Schobel as a OLB......he could be a pass rusher but how is he is defending the pass? That is the big question mark. And for 8 million dollars that is a lot of question mark.

Agreed it is a total position switch.....

Schobel as a DE in a 3-4.......gonna get run over cuz he just is not big enough.....and since 3-4 DE's main job is to tie up blockers that would take away from his pass rush ability I dont care how "country strong" he is

Schobel as a OLB......he could be a pass rusher but how is he is defending the pass? That is the big question mark. And for 8 million dollars that is a lot of question mark.

Good teams don't cut top tier players.

On the flipside of the arguements that I have been making there is one thing that does really bother me.....

- Team is being patient with Schrobel

- I hear reports of Aaron leaning toward coming back

- I hear reports of Aaron looking for housing in the area

- Then I see Buddy saying that they are moving on without Schrobel

What I would like to know really is what caused us to get from Hes a good player he will get here when he gets here to Nope he is not going to play for us

It bothers me....Im not going to lie about it

On the flipside of the arguements that I have been making there is one thing that does really bother me.....

What I would like to know really is what caused us to get from Hes a good player he will get here when he gets here to Nope he is not going to play for us

That's the million dollar question, right?

im guessing aaron saying he wanted to come for mid august made them say no.