Nfl sunday ticket; Who's signing up?

I called customer retention today and the big offer they were willing to give me was the early bird renewal price of $299. Frankly I would have settled for some HBO, etc. since Entourage is coming back in a couple of weeks but got nowhere.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife wants me to say "damn you". You just made Sunday Ticket make sense to her <_<

I never get to see the Bills play unless they are on primetime. I am in Niner and Raider country, and that takes up my local channels. It may go up, but as long as I can afford it I am going to get it so that I can see my Bills win/lose, or just plain make an ass out of themselves.

I also play fantasy football and their player tracker is pretty cool too. That, and using Yahoo's player tracker on my computer, my wife thinks I am quite the loser.

In the same boat as you. Lost my job in October and have worked briefly for the US Census but talked it over with my wife and she said "You don't have expensive hobbies so renew it"

I called customer retention today and the big offer they were willing to give me was the early bird renewal price of $299. Frankly I would have settled for some HBO, etc. since Entourage is coming back in a couple of weeks but got nowhere.

dd you threaten to cancel your subscription or service?

I finally got HD over a year ago and a 52 inch Samsung. I'll never go back again. Watching football this past year was the single greatest sports experience I've ever had with televison. Make the switch. You won't regret it.

Even more of a difference is watching hockey in HD. If I watch it now in SD I have trouble following the puck.

I think for anyone who watches sports, HD is a great investment.

Even more of a difference is watching hockey in HD. If I watch it now in SD I have trouble following the puck.

I think for anyone who watches sports, HD is a great investment.

Just called Directv and payments are $44.99x7=$314,97. If you already have HD, this is included(HD) in the package. I signed up for another year.

There's a bar about two blocks from my house that has enough HD screens to carry all the games. And they put out a pretty good spread to nosh on. So, with the Bills playing all their games this year at the same time, I think I'll take the walk to the pub, keep the $300 bucks in my wallet and avoid having a houseful of people every Sunday.

and it all comes together now for $314.00?

thats good news, right?

Yes and yes (for most).

For people who used to call and get Superfan for free, it's not quite as good a deal. And it's not as good a deal for people who don't have HD (but come on, it's 2010, if you don't have HD, why are you even paying for television service?).

For those who don't want to be bothered with phone calls and arguing with people, it's cheaper than last year.

Yes and yes (for most).

For people who used to call and get Superfan for free, it's not quite as good a deal. And it's not as good a deal for people who don't have HD (but come on, it's 2010, if you don't have HD, why are you even paying for television service?).

For those who don't want to be bothered with phone calls and arguing with people, it's cheaper than last year.

That would be me on both counts - got Superfan for free the past 2 years and do not have HD.

For anyone wondering WHY I wouldn't have HD, let me list what I'd have to do and the immense costs associated:

- New HD TV (or TVs, plural, if I wanted to replace more than 1 in my house) - call it $1500 (and the TV I have now works fine)

- New HD Tivo (if you get HD, and run it through a SD Tivo you lose your HD) - $300-$500 (and I'd be losing capacity as my current model has over 700 hours capacity)

- New lifetime service for above Tivo - $399 (I have lifetime service on my current box - replace it and I start paying for service again)

- Upgrade DirecTV to HD - new HD dish. If I wanted to really take advantage of it I'd also have to replace my other TVs and upgrade the DTV DVR to HD - $200-$2000 depending on what I do.

So minimum I'm probably looking at $2500 to go HD (did I mention my current stuff still works?) and with 2 kids and a mortgage there's no way I'm going to drop that sort of loot just so my picture is "awesome". At some point my current stuff will break and I'll have no choice, but for what it is going to cost me I'd rather take the whole family to Disney for a week.......

- New HD TV (or TVs, plural, if I wanted to replace more than 1 in my house) - call it $1500 (and the TV I have now works fine)

Why $1,500? HDTVs aren't very expensive nowadays... You can get a 42" TV (which will be roughly the same height as a 32" tube, only wider) for ~$700 or less.

- New HD Tivo (if you get HD, and run it through a SD Tivo you lose your HD) - $300-$500 (and I'd be losing capacity as my current model has over 700 hours capacity)

- New lifetime service for above Tivo - $399 (I have lifetime service on my current box - replace it and I start paying for service again)

Or you could use the DirecTV HD DVR for $6/month... Saving you $699-$899. <_< You can plug a harddrive into the SATA port on the back (or open the box and put your own new drive in) and expand your recording capabilities easier than with the TiVo.

Plus, you'll save electricity because you won't need the SD TiVo and the DTV receiver both running. :thumbsup:

- Upgrade DirecTV to HD - new HD dish. If I wanted to really take advantage of it I'd also have to replace my other TVs and upgrade the DTV DVR to HD - $200-$2000 depending on what I do.

The new dish and installation is free, but you would be paying $10/month for the HD service. However your current receivers (and TiVo) will work fine on your SDTVs.

So minimum I'm probably looking at $2500 to go HD (did I mention my current stuff still works?)

I count $700 + $16/month.... That's still a chunk of change, and I know what you mean when you say your current TV works (I wrestled with that myself a couple of years ago)... But it's not quite as bad as you may have initially thought -- and you could watch Disney Channel in HD for awhile to make up for the lack of a trip there. :thumbsup:

Why $1,500? HDTVs aren't very expensive nowadays... You can get a 42" TV (which will be roughly the same height as a 32" tube, only wider) for ~$700 or less.

Or you could use the DirecTV HD DVR for $6/month... Saving you $699-$899. <_< You can plug a harddrive into the SATA port on the back (or open the box and put your own new drive in) and expand your recording capabilities easier than with the TiVo.

Plus, you'll save electricity because you won't need the SD TiVo and the DTV receiver both running. :thumbsup:

The new dish and installation is free, but you would be paying $10/month for the HD service. However your current receivers (and TiVo) will work fine on your SDTVs.

I count $700 + $16/month.... That's still a chunk of change, and I know what you mean when you say your current TV works (I wrestled with that myself a couple of years ago)... But it's not quite as bad as you may have initially thought -- and you could watch Disney Channel in HD for awhile to make up for the lack of a trip there. :thumbsup:

Dude even $700 is a beatch to come up with for a TV. Not to mention all the HD accessories.

Or you could use the DirecTV HD DVR for $6/month... Saving you $699-$899. :) You can plug a harddrive into the SATA port on the back (or open the box and put your own new drive in) and expand your recording capabilities easier than with the TiVo.

Plus, you'll save electricity because you won't need the SD TiVo and the DTV receiver both running. ;)

I count $700 + $16/month.... That's still a chunk of change, and I know what you mean when you say your current TV works (I wrestled with that myself a couple of years ago)... But it's not quite as bad as you may have initially thought -- and you could watch Disney Channel in HD for awhile to make up for the lack of a trip there. ;)

Well, I do feel better about what it might cost me when I need to go that route (like I said, I know the day will come when something breaks and that will trigger the first domino), but until that comes I'll have a very hard time justifying the outlay and I'd have to fight the wife every step on the way. Now if it meant the difference between not being able to watch the TV vs. having great TV that would be one thing, but when it' watching TV vs. watching to really nice and clear TV the cost/benefit anaysis fails the test at this point in time...

Dude even $700 is a beatch to come up with for a TV. Not to mention all the HD accessories.

I agree -- but it's a lot easier than $2500. Some people still think that an HDTV is a really expensive luxury item, and it's not -- it's the same price as 'regular" TVs were years ago.

I agree -- but it's a lot easier than $2500. Some people still think that an HDTV is a really expensive luxury item, and it's not -- it's the same price as 'regular" TVs were years ago.

... once you go HD you'll never go back! ... no regrets here at all ... $1500 for my Samsung 52 with DTV HD ... planning on holding out for the best Sunday Ticket Package I can get ... tom

... (and the TV I have now works fine)...

I'm in a similar boat, my 13 year old, 27" rounded tube TV still works fine. As much as I like checking out the sets in the store and watching the sale ads, I still can't see spending the money versus paying my current bills/mortage.

I think thats before the extra fee for HD as well isn't it? For the first time in 13 years I'm not getting it. Between the Bills ineptitude and the price increase it has lost its appeal. Of course if they turn this ship around next year I'll be back.

That $100 fee for HD really got under my skin. Not signing up this year.

That $100 fee for HD is gone this year....

I'll probably switch from cable before the season starts, but the biggest problem I've had going to watch the Bills at sportsbars is that none of the ones near me paid the extra money, so even though they had hi def tvs, the game would be in low def. Watching a low def signal on a high def tv is one of the worst tv viewing experiences.

BTW, for those who subscribe to HD Access, thanks to the recent DISH promotion of free HD for life, DirecTV has responded with their own promotion (although not publicized). If you subscribe to the Choice package or above, and have auto pay, just call in and get free HD Access set up on your account for 24 months (hopefully it will have gone away by the time that expires). That's 24 x $10, which is free money if you call in to get it. Just passing along some info.

EDIT: This is on top of any other pricing discounts you may have been able to obtain as part of haggling for Sunday Ticket.

after 8 years of subscribing i am cancelling this year because of the price increases over the past few years and already signed up for dish network. So they not only lost my 315, they lost a customer altogether.

Wow! I have Time Warner which I don't think offers that package, but even if it did at that price I would decline...I think if I'm going to spend that kind of money I would be more inclined to buy Bill's season tickets. If I bought one season ticket

in the cheap seats it would probably be just slightly more. But, they know they gottcha! because most people are going to buy at least 2 season tickets. I think if the Bills fail to improve I may end up going to the U.B. Bulls football games as they seem to be an exciting team, and although it's a different level of play...the past couple of years you just can't question the effort of their players, staff, and the organizations intentions to continually improve...you just can't beat the price of their tickets either :) !!

Wow! I have Time Warner which I don't think offers that package, but even if it did at that price I would decline...I think if I'm going to spend that kind of money I would be more inclined to buy Bill's season tickets. If I bought one season ticket

in the cheap seats it would probably be just slightly more. But, they know they gottcha! because most people are going to buy at least 2 season tickets. I think if the Bills fail to improve I may end up going to the U.B. Bulls football games as they seem to be an exciting team, and although it's a different level of play...the past couple of years you just can't question the effort of their players, staff, and the organizations intentions to continually improve...you just can't beat the price of their tickets either <_< !!

Agree with you, if you're local. When you're an out-of-towner, your best options are DTV or sports bars.

in the cheap seats it would probably be just slightly more. But, they know they gottcha! because most people are going to buy at least 2 season tickets. I think if the Bills fail to improve I may end up going to the U.B. Bulls football games as they seem to be an exciting team, and although it's a different level of play...the past couple of years you just can't question the effort of their players, staff, and the organizations intentions to continually improve...you just can't beat the price of their tickets either <_< !!

Some people like to watch other teams too -- especially if you're in fantasy football. :devil:

I was so mad when i went online to my directv account. I clicked on nfl sunday ticket, and price is now $315. yikes!!!

I'm still getting it. Maybe that's why I was mad. lol

So who else is krazy like me? Meaning renewing or singing up for sunday ticket.

I gave up on it 2 years ago...simply too much money. If they had a "game by game" package (where you could buy the games you wanted) or a "team" package (i.e. just get the Bills' games) for a reduced fee I'd be interested. But not right now at these prices.

I gave up on it 2 years ago...simply too much money. If they had a "game by game" package (where you could buy the games you wanted) or a "team" package (i.e. just get the Bills' games) for a reduced fee I'd be interested. But not right now at these prices.

A few years ago I know you could buy "week by week." It was pretty expensive overall though - something like $30/week. Might be worth it for people who only want to watch a few weeks though.

You'd have to call them up to see if they still offer it.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any other experiences with DTV? I had the ticket for the past 10 years (excepting a 3 year period where I had no dish where I lived). I did not pay for SuperFan last year and am glad everything is offered in HD this year. I will still only watch the Bills. With 2 kids under 5, the days of me being in McFaddens for 6+ hours on Sunday are on hold for a while. I wish you could PPV order only the Bills games, as I usually go to 3-4 games per year, which ups my per game cost of watching the Bills to about $25 per game. Just wondering what everyone else was doing with respect to negotiating with DTV.

I just called and tried to cancel my Sunday ticket renewal. When I kept telling the salesperson to cancel it, she kept going down and down. All that to say, I told her I wouldn't pay more than $200 for the Sunday ticket this season. After not budging, she gave it to me for $195. I kid you not! I should have said I wouldn't pay more than 150; however, I felt $195 wasn't a bad deal. Call them up and don't budge. They'll go down.

im with you. this is my favorite sport. as my favorite sport, i have to basically deal with it. till i cant afford it, i'll keep renewing.

my wife feels sorry for me....

Yeah, try being a Bills fan and an EA Madden fan and then having guys want you to join their league AS the Bills.

...it stinks.

For those that canceled DTV altogether, did they try to stop you, or offer you a deal on Sunday Ticket?

I was going to cancel and since they messed up my order last year, they reduced the price to $194 this year, so I kept it. Thought it was a decent counter.

I have never had gameday but this year I was seriously considering it. Even $315 makes sense to me.

I live in Vegas, so here's how a typical Sunday goes.....

9am arrive at the local bar and grab breakfast and coffee. $7.00

10am game starts and I have my first Bloody Mary $4.00

10:15am Second Bloody Mary $4.00

11:30am halftime. I Get a free beer for Throwing $40 into bartop video poker game

12:00 order another beer for $5.00 (20oz)

1:00pm Bills lose, I'm angry.....Shot of Jager (on the house)

1:00pm Second set of games come on. ---Beer time again $5.00

1:30pm Fantasy football team is looking horrible again....another beer $5.00

2:00pm Tired of 'paying for beer' so I'll drop another $20 or $40 into the bartop poker machine for a free beer. :w00t:

3.00pm getting hungry again....Burger. $6.00

3:30 pm, last beer.....on the house (bartender is 'tip-hunting')

4:00 pm game ends, The Bill is Nearly $40 and I leave a $15 tip cuz I'm a regular. Also dropped $70-$80 in the video poker machine.

I just spend anywhere between $120-$150, and this is only week one!!!

Yeah, for me, I'll pay the $315 for NFL Gameday.

I have never had gameday but this year I was seriously considering it. Even $315 makes sense to me.

I live in Vegas, so here's how a typical Sunday goes.....

9am arrive at the local bar and grab breakfast and coffee. $7.00

10am game starts and I have my first Bloody Mary $4.00

10:15am Second Bloody Mary $4.00

11:30am halftime. I Get a free beer for Throwing $40 into bartop video poker game

12:00 order another beer for $5.00 (20oz)

1:00pm Bills lose, I'm angry.....Shot of Jager (on the house)

1:00pm Second set of games come on. ---Beer time again $5.00

1:30pm Fantasy football team is looking horrible again....another beer $5.00

2:00pm Tired of 'paying for beer' so I'll drop another $20 or $40 into the bartop poker machine for a free beer. :w00t:

3.00pm getting hungry again....Burger. $6.00

3:30 pm, last beer.....on the house (bartender is 'tip-hunting')

4:00 pm game ends, The Bill is Nearly $40 and I leave a $15 tip cuz I'm a regular. Also dropped $70-$80 in the video poker machine.

I just spend anywhere between $120-$150, and this is only week one!!!

Yeah, for me, I'll pay the $315 for NFL Gameday.

It's actually only $60 ($53 if you still go get breakfast somewhere) a week you are saving assuming you will still go out after the Bills game. :o

Don't know if any of you local guys would be interested but we are setting up a private Sports viewing club. Looking for between 12 and 20 charter members.

Club would initially be available Saturday through Monday and is currently set up to view 3 games at a time with more to come depending on response.

We are looking for people who enjoy watching with friends, like to drink socially and have fun but are there more to watch then get annihilated.

We are hoping to assemble people who can help fund raise as opposed to pay dues, but all that will be decided by group.

Initial location will be in Depew/Lancaster area.

Anyone interested,

PM me.

Well, I do feel better about what it might cost me when I need to go that route (like I said, I know the day will come when something breaks and that will trigger the first domino), but until that comes I'll have a very hard time justifying the outlay and I'd have to fight the wife every step on the way. Now if it meant the difference between not being able to watch the TV vs. having great TV that would be one thing, but when it' watching TV vs. watching to really nice and clear TV the cost/benefit anaysis fails the test at this point in time...

dont leave the house. once you see how great it looks, the tempation might hook you in.

I'm in a similar boat, my 13 year old, 27" rounded tube TV still works fine. As much as I like checking out the sets in the store and watching the sale ads, I still can't see spending the money versus paying my current bills/mortage.

27" is weak. j/k

best buy has a 32" FLAT for 300 + tax. apprx 330.

u can swing that!

i know you like antiques, but c'mon now!

That would be me on both counts - got Superfan for free the past 2 years and do not have HD.

For anyone wondering WHY I wouldn't have HD, let me list what I'd have to do and the immense costs associated:

So minimum I'm probably looking at $2500 to go HD (did I mention my current stuff still works?) and with 2 kids and a mortgage there's no way I'm going to drop that sort of loot just so my picture is "awesome". At some point my current stuff will break and I'll have no choice, but for what it is going to cost me I'd rather take the whole family to Disney for a week.......

big time exxageration!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i got a 50" at best buy for $1200 tax included.

... once you go HD you'll never go back! ... no regrets here at all ... $1500 for my Samsung 52 with DTV HD ... planning on holding out for the best Sunday Ticket Package I can get ... tom

same here. hopefully we dont get burned by not signing up earlier....