Interesting Trade Rumor that could affect us

Virgil

"An unnamed team is reportedly attempting to trade up to the Raiders' No. 8 overall spot by offering a 2010 second-round pick and a 2011 first-round pick.

The deal would get the Raiders back into the 2011 first round after trading away their own pick for Richard Seymour last year. One other team has also offered to swap draft spots with Oakland this year. The Raiders haven't traditionally traded up or down at draft time, and they're not expected to be swayed this year, either."

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

Now, why would someone want the 8 spot? I typically believe that people trade to spot that's right before where they think there guy will be take. With that, I can think of 3 scenarios:

1) People believe that 3 OT's will be gone by then and they know we need the 4th one. After that 4th, there's a big drop off. If that trade happens and all 4 are gone, that blows

2) People believe that Clausen will drop that far and expect us to take him. I admit, there are worse things in the world, but that would kinda piss me off as I would like Clausen, but it's not the end of the world.

3) Tebow - I hope this is actually the case but I doubt it. If the Bills are thinking about taking him first, then please let someone swoop in and stop it.

Other than that, I don't know why the Bills wouldn't look into trading with this unnamed team. If the person wants Spiller or someone else that we don't care about, pull the trigger and make it happen.

2) People believe that Clausen will drop that far and expect us to take him. I admit, there are worse things in the world, but that would kinda piss me off as I would like Clausen, but it's not the end of the world.

According to NeverGiveUp, the Bills will not take Clausen at 9. Given his sources and knowledge, wherever it stems from, I'd say you can take that to the bank.

According to NeverGiveUp, the Bills will not take Clausen at 9. Given his sources and knowledge, wherever it stems from, I'd say you can take that to the bank.

I hate that he said that because he's probably right! I like Clausen because I've watched him play great every week and in big spots. He has the pedigree and has shown that he can play through a tough injury and take a hit. If he falls to the Bills and they pass, I'm afraid that could be yet another Waterloo in Buffalo Bills history.

"An unnamed team is reportedly attempting to trade up to the Raiders' No. 8 overall spot by offering a 2010 second-round pick and a 2011 first-round pick.

The deal would get the Raiders back into the 2011 first round after trading away their own pick for Richard Seymour last year. One other team has also offered to swap draft spots with Oakland this year. The Raiders haven't traditionally traded up or down at draft time, and they're not expected to be swayed this year, either."

Now, why would someone want the 8 spot? I typically believe that people trade to spot that's right before where they think there guy will be take. With that, I can think of 3 scenarios:

1) People believe that 3 OT's will be gone by then and they know we need the 4th one. After that 4th, there's a big drop off. If that trade happens and all 4 are gone, that blows

3) Tebow - I hope this is actually the case but I doubt it. If the Bills are thinking about taking him first, then please let someone swoop in and stop it.

Other than that, I don't know why the Bills wouldn't look into trading with this unnamed team. If the person wants Spiller or someone else that we don't care about, pull the trigger and make it happen.

4.) I think Spiller becomes the target of a lot of teams after the first 6-7 picks, where the contracts are too big for RB's. Raiders already have a bunch of backs and a similar and high-priced player in McFadden. Lots of internet chatter that Bills are interested in Spiller.

1) People believe that 3 OT's will be gone by then and they know we need the 4th one. After that 4th, there's a big drop off. If that trade happens and all 4 are gone, that blows: Raiders more than likely will take an OT anyway at #8...so if 3 are gone, a 4th will likely be taken at #8 regardless if the Raiders stand pat or trade.

2) People believe that Clausen will drop that far and expect us to take him. I admit, there are worse things in the world, but that would kinda piss me off as I would like Clausen, but it's not the end of the world. This is plausible, however, no one really expects him to get by Washington anymore, so I doubt they would make this trade until literally the Raiders are on the clock.

3) Tebow - I hope this is actually the case but I doubt it. If the Bills are thinking about taking him first, then please let someone swoop in and stop it. I dont think anyone thinks Tebow is going in the top 10, heck, most dont think he will be even in the first round. So I doubt they would trade to #8 to get Tebow.

Other than that, I don't know why the Bills wouldn't look into trading with this unnamed team. If the person wants Spiller or someone else that we don't care about, pull the trigger and make it happen. I wouldnt be so quick to say we dont care about Spiller. I bet you Spiller is near the top of our draft board based on who is expected to be there. So, I could see someone moving ahead of us for Spiller since he has been rocketing up many teams draft boards.

See my responses to each above...also, another possible side bonus if this happens is Berry. I think its possible he could fall to us at 9, especially if this trade happens. If he does, then Jax and SF a few spots behind us could be possible trade down destinations where we dont move too far back and still get a guy we want while picking up some value.

See my responses to each above...also, another possible side bonus if this happens is Berry. I think its possible he could fall to us at 9, especially if this trade happens. If he does, then Jax and SF a few spots behind us could be possible trade down destinations where we dont move too far back and still get a guy we want while picking up some value.

The Jets traded up for Revis. Can you think of any other instances where a team actually traded up to select a defensive back in round 1?

I am not saying it never happened mind you; I simply have no recollection of any other team doing something like this.

It doesn't necessarily have to be about the Bills. A team could be talking to Oakland because they want to get into that portion of the draft and Oakland just happens to be the team willing to talk. The Bills haven't moved out of their first round pick on draft day in recent history, so there might not be much purpose in a team making an offer to Buffalo.

It doesn't necessarily have to be about the Bills. A team could be talking to Oakland because they want to get into that portion of the draft and Oakland just happens to be the team willing to talk. The Bills haven't moved out of their first round pick on draft day in recent history, so there might not be much purpose in a team making an offer to Buffalo.

Neither has oakland

The Jets traded up for Revis. Can you think of any other instances where a team actually traded up to select a defensive back in round 1?

I am not saying it never happened mind you; I simply have no recollection of any other team doing something like this.

a guy named Troy Polomolu. I believe it was the first time in Steelers history that they traded up to get a player. I think he could be pretty good one day... :rolleyes:

Yeah, but Berry is widely considered the 3rd or 4th best prospect in this draft, and a Jax and SF would love to grab him. I actually think Berry probably still goes top 8, but I could see a number of scenarios where he still falls to 9, and if he does, I think we will be awfully attractive at 9 for someone like SF, Jax, etc.

Yeah, but Berry is widely considered the 3rd or 4th best prospect in this draft, and a Jax and SF would love to grab him. I actually think Berry probably still goes top 8, but I could see a number of scenarios where he still falls to 9, and if he does, I think we will be awfully attractive at 9 for someone like SF, Jax, etc.

Man I hope you are right. Four years of Levy Jauron have taken a toll on me, whereas I am certain they would have drafted him, other needs notwithstanding. Still, I truly do hope someone before us grabs him just in case.

Guest dog14787

#3 scenario seems very possible in my opinion, I think the Jags want Tebow as bad as we do, maybe worse.

I'll guess the Patriots.

What do you see the Patriots taking if they trade to an 8? A tackle?

I thought SF because of the Spiller speculation, and they really really want him, adn there have been reports of the Bills wanting/interested in him.

Though as i was typing that, i realized NE could use a RB as well..... (boy i hope you are wrong about that, it would surely be the worst news for the Bills)

I'll guess the Patriots.

Well they* are loaded with 2nd round and compensatory picks, but isn't their* M.O. to trade down and get even more picks?

2010 NE* Draft Picks:

1st Round (22nd Overall)

2nd Round (44th Overall - JAX)

2nd Round (47th Overall - TEN)

2nd Round (53rd Overall)

4th Round (119th Overall)

6th Round

6th Round (Comp - Jabar Gaffney)

7th Round (PHI - Greg Lewis)

7th Round (DEN - Russ Hochstein)

7th Round (Comp - Heath Evans)

7th Round (Comp - Lamont Jordan)

7th Round (Comp - Lonnie Paxton)

Who would the Pats move up for? They generally don't pay a premium for ANYTHING in the draft, they are the ones getting picks at a discount.

I'm not sure what team is looking to move up. The Bills are an unknown to most teams out there. New coach, new GM and a lot of holes to fill. So maybe there is a fog surrounding who the Bills might take and it is making other GMs nervous. At the same time, this draft is very deep at almost every position except for QB, DB and RB (maybe TE too). So, I have to imagine that someone is looking for Claussen, Tebow, Berry, Haden, or Spiller.

First off, I don't think Claussen will fall to 8. The Redskins are going to take him IMO. I don't think Snyder will be able to resist, new GM/coach or no new GM/coach. I think Tebow will be there, but I see no way in hell teams feel confident enough in Tebow to make him a top 10 pick. And, despite what Jim Kelly is saying, I don't see how the Bills take a QB when they have the worst O-Line in football and are switching their defensive scheme. Thus, I don't understand why teams are worried the Bills might scoop him up at 9. Maybe the Niners will take a chance on him, but I will be surprised.

That leaves Berry, Haden and Spiller. I think Berry will be gone by 9 given his talent (probably to the Browns). Most teams won't pay premiums for RBs because good ones can be found later in the draft. I don't see why someone would trade up for Spiller if they can get Best or McKnight in the 2nd round. And Haden won't be scooped up before 8.

Unless a team is sold on one of the OTs, I have no idea who the target is.

Well they* are loaded with 2nd round and compensatory picks, but isn't their* M.O. to trade down and get even more picks?

2010 NE* Draft Picks:

1st Round (22nd Overall)

2nd Round (44th Overall - JAX)

2nd Round (47th Overall - TEN)

2nd Round (53rd Overall)

4th Round (119th Overall)

6th Round

It was when they were a powerhouse and could afford to do that. The team is weaker now and the reason they have stockpiled the picks is for a rainy day and guess what , its cloudy out there...

a guy named Troy Polomolu. I believe it was the first time in Steelers history that they traded up to get a player. I think he could be pretty good one day... :thumbsup:

Thanks for that. :rolleyes: Nice catch!

They did move up to 16, and this of course was 7 years ago. I do however make the point that given the huge amount of draft trades, few, if any at all have ever involved a team trading away picks so they can move into the top 10 and draft a defensive back.

Actually, I am surprised that Levy/Jauron never did anything that stupid. They were probably tempted to go that route so as not to take a chance on losing Lil Donte.

What do you see the Patriots taking if they trade to an 8? A tackle?

I thought SF because of the Spiller speculation, and they really really want him, adn there have been reports of the Bills wanting/interested in him.

Though as i was typing that, i realized NE could use a RB as well..... (boy i hope you are wrong about that, it would surely be the worst news for the Bills)

NE lists no team needs as a P1 or P2, and these are the only P3 Needs by our Pats Analyst: WR, TE, DE34, OLB34, ILB

I think the Patriots are positioning to take Brandon Graham, Michigan OLB34.

I'm sorry, but what kind of drugs is NFL on to give out comp picks for those guys?

NE lists no team needs as a P1 or P2, and these are the only P3 Needs by our Pats Analyst: WR, TE, DE34, OLB34, ILB

I think the Patriots are positioning to take Brandon Graham, Michigan OLB34.

I think the Patriots would love Brandon Graham and I think the Bills would need to seriously consider Graham, so the Pats may be right to leapfrog the Bills if they want him. The Pats had a tough time pressuring opposing QB's last season and Brandon Graham can certainly do that.

The Bills also have a glaring need at OLB and I prefer Brandon Graham to Sergio Kindle, he's thicker and tougher.

One of the NFL "experts" on ESPN was saying that Clausen's stock is falling and he might not be taken until the second round. On another front, Gailey's face lit up like Times Square on New Year's Eve when a reporter asked him about Tebow.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/v...8e-6f8029559c3e

One of the NFL "experts" on ESPN was saying that Clausen's stock is falling and he might not be taken until the second round. On another front, Gailey's face lit up like Times Square on New Year's Eve when a reporter asked him about Tebow.

That expert was probably McShay, who after his loud and public battles with Kiper over this issue, probably feels that he can't change his mind.

Virtually nobody else is predicting 2nd round for Clausen, though one or two others say they feel that he's a low value but will go high because he's a QB.

I just don't see this happening. Someone will grab Clausen early. If he falls to #9, I bet we would grab him. But I don't see him falling to #9, nor do most of the experts.

"An unnamed team is reportedly attempting to trade up to the Raiders' No. 8 overall spot by offering a 2010 second-round pick and a 2011 first-round pick .

To me, you guys are missing the wackiest part of this story. Any team accepting this deal will have NO FIRST ROUND PICK IN THIS DRAFT. Notice what I put in bold in the quote above. They're offering a SECOND-ROUNDER THIS YEAR, and also a FIRST-ROUNDER NEXT YEAR!! Wacky.

I can't see any team accepting this trade, particularly as this draft class is one of the best in years.

Also, with the offer in mind, it might well be someone like the Redskins hoping to get two first-rounders this year. Or even the Seahawks hoping to get THREE first-rounders this year.

I dont believe it one bit. That team has ZERO idea of who will be there at 8 come April 22nd. No one is going to trade up to have no idea who they could potentially draft.

They may be thinking it, but wont do it till AFTER the 7th pick is selected.

i think the target is C J Spiller at the 8th overall pick.

the team is NEW ENGLAND.....

a second round this year ( N.E. is loaded with three 2nd round picks this year) maybe raiders use it to replace the pick they use on mcnabb.

a first round next year ( N.E. gives back the raiders 2011 pick from Seymour).

I think the Patriots would love Brandon Graham and I think the Bills would need to seriously consider Graham, so the Pats may be right to leapfrog the Bills if they want him. The Pats had a tough time pressuring opposing QB's last season and Brandon Graham can certainly do that.

The Bills also have a glaring need at OLB and I prefer Brandon Graham to Sergio Kindle, he's thicker and tougher.

Graham is one reason why I wouldn't toss a brick at the TV if the OT's go off the board early!

Isn't Kindle also the name of the electronic book that Barnes & Noble sells? Kind of ironic that Segrio Kindle crashed into a building while texting electronically... :thumbsup:

#3 scenario seems very possible in my opinion, I think the Jags want Tebow as bad as we do, maybe worse.

I'm not convinced that the Bills want Tebow as much as everyone thinks. If they do they are really going about in an unorthodox way i.e. making quite a spectacle of themselves and letting all parts of the world know of their love for him. Just saying ...

I'll be sure to ask Gailey about Tebow at the coach'es breakfast for club seat holders in the morning. More questions will follow if allowed. New format so don't know yet how the Q&A will flow. Hope Buddy Nix is there; I would like to bend his ear also. Good guy and fun to talk with.

4.) I think Spiller becomes the target of a lot of teams after the first 6-7 picks, where the contracts are too big for RB's. Raiders already have a bunch of backs and a similar and high-priced player in McFadden. Lots of internet chatter that Bills are interested in Spiller.

I really, really really hope the Bills don't even consider taking a RB at #9!! :thumbsup: If they're as boneheaded as that, what hope do we as fans really have?

This team has bigger holes, at more important positions, and positions associated with much longer careers than running backs. We need a quarterback, left tackle, nose tackle, right defensive end, and a #1 WR. All of those needs--with the possible exception of the WR--are at positions that are more important than RB.

When TD became general manager, he kicked off his reign by using a 2nd round pick on Travis Henry, in an unnecessary and ultimately failed attempt to find a significant upgrade to Antowain Smith. When Marv first became general manager he stayed quiet on the RB front for a year--there were defensive backs he had to gather in first. But going into his second year, he used the 12th overall pick on Marshawn Lynch!! :bag::beer::angry:

Running back is the absolute last position I want to see this front office address at #9--even worse than defensive back!! :angry: :angry: :angry: