Charles Davis on NFL Network made his pick for the Bills

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Bills did this I would hang myself from the highest tree.

I hate the idea of taking a RB in round one, but that being said I like the idea of taking a game-breaking player at any point. This is the type of pick that everyone loves if the guy is the next Chris Johnson and everyone hates if he is anything other.

CJ Spiller is pretty impressive though. 4.24 speed. In contrast...Don Beebe ran a 4.21 and Reggie Bush ran a 4.33

He's ridiculous. He's got good size and great hands. He would be a game breaker and help captain checkdown tremendously.

That being said, the Bills cannot afford a miss at the number 9 pick. They better pick a sure fire player and he's not the Adrian Peterson of this draft.

I would want to draft the following players if available with the 9th pick in the draft if available in the following order. So if my top pick is gone which he will be..lol...then I'd want the next one and so on.

1. NDAMDKONG SUH DT (No brainer)

2. Sam Bradford QB

3. Russel Okung OT

4. Jimmy Clausen QB

5. Derrick Morgan DE (Rush LB in 3-4)

6. C.J. Spiller RB

7. Demaryius Thomas WR

Don't want Trent Williams OT, Dez Bryant WR, Most of the safeties in the draft, we are set with CB's for now....

Round 2

1. Bryan Bulaga OT (If slides)

2. Tony Pike QB

3. Jonathan Crompton QB

4. Mike Iupati G that may convert to OT

5. Jonathan Dwyer RB

6. Tim Tebow QB

So again this is just my list of preferences for our 1st round pick and 2nd round pick in order if any of these players were available at that pick in the order I have them. If the player isn't listed on my list then for one reason or another I have either identified a red flag (several on character and some on work ethic..don't want another Mike Williams) or I just don't like the player more than the ones I have ahead of them. I automatically excluded CB's, special team players, and only considered impact WR's and RB's IMO. My overall favorite player is Derrick Morgan DE Georgia Tech and wonder if the

G.T. connection will help his chances of landing in Buffalo seeing that most of the coaching staff originated there.

The best player on the team last season was Fred Jackson why would the Bills waste another 1st round pick on a RB. How many playoff games did Marshawn Lynch & Willis MaGahee got the Bills. The Bills need a QB, LT, NT not a RB early in the draft

I agree with you full heartedly on that one...The only way I pick a RB or WR or DE is if the best QB's OLT, DT/NT, are off the board and there is a significant margin of difference of the caliber of player at a lesser needed position compared to what remains at the position of need.

CJ Spiller is pretty impressive though. 4.24 speed. In contrast...Don Beebe ran a 4.21 and Reggie Bush ran a 4.33

He's ridiculous. He's got good size and great hands. He would be a game breaker and help captain checkdown tremendously.

That being said, the Bills cannot afford a miss at the number 9 pick. They better pick a sure fire player and he's not the Adrian Peterson of this draft.

He ran a 4.37

And even if he was Adrian Peterson, Id still pass on him. RBs are a dime a dozen. Going back to that draft wouldnt have been smarter for the Vikings to draft Willis over AD? I say yes.

I can't believe anyone would be opposed to adding a tremendous offensive playmaker like Spiller on a team so lacking in playmakers. He would be an excellent pick.

Spiller is a playmaker yes, thats easy to see. Buts its a lot harder to see the types of plays that Okung/Bulaga/McClain/Morgan/Cody make and how they can affect the game. Thats the difference here. Those guys I listed are all bigger playmakers than Spiller, you just arent likely to see them on ESPN. We need need REAL play makers. Besides, whats the over/under if Spiller is ever any better than Bush at the NFL level? Im taking under.

If the Bills did this I would hang myself from the highest tree.

well spiller would not be a horrible pick - but not my first choice though

with the 1st pick if we cant get bradford or one of the top ot's and the dt/nt we want is not available - then i would be ok with mcclain or spiller - it would not be a bad thing - not the best draft luck for us if all of that goes against us - but not a bad pick - at that point you have to go on the best player available theory

He's the Chris Johnson. I'd take that. Game breakers do not grow on trees. There are LT's in the the second round who could come in and play. Doesn't have to be in rd. 1. There are DT's who will be there in rd. 3 who can come in and play. This is a deep draft.

He ran a 4.37

And even if he was Adrian Peterson, Id still pass on him. RBs are a dime a dozen. Going back to that draft wouldnt have been smarter for the Vikings to draft Willis over AD? I say yes.

Spiller is a playmaker yes, thats easy to see. Buts its a lot harder to see the types of plays that Okung/Bulaga/McClain/Morgan/Cody make and how they can affect the game. Thats the difference here. Those guys I listed are all bigger playmakers than Spiller, you just arent likely to see them on ESPN. We need need REAL play makers. Besides, whats the over/under if Spiller is ever any better than Bush at the NFL level? Im taking under.

He actually compares more favorably to Chris Johnson. Okung, Bulaga and even Williams might be gone by pick 9. Cody can be gotten in rd. 2. McClain would be good. I'd rather have Spiller than Morgan at 9. Spiller can score from anywhere on the field at any time. Something the Bills offense needs. He can run between the tackles. He can catch very well. He can also return kicks. If the top OT's are gone there is no reason to settle for the 4th or 5th best tackle. Take the best game breaker available.

The best player on the team last season was Fred Jackson why would the Bills waste another 1st round pick on a RB. How many playoff games did Marshawn Lynch & Willis MaGahee got the Bills. The Bills need a QB, LT, NT not a RB early in the draft

I love Freddy and what you say is true. He was the best player on the offense. But he's limited. He can't score from anywhere on the field at any time. He's a very good player, but Spiller is a sudden impact type of player.

He actually compares more favorably to Chris Johnson. Okung, Bulaga and even Williams might be gone by pick 9. Cody can be gotten in rd. 2. McClain would be good. I'd rather have Spiller than Morgan at 9. Spiller can score from anywhere on the field at any time. Something the Bills offense needs. He can run between the tackles. He can catch very well. He can also return kicks. If the top OT's are gone there is no reason to settle for the 4th or 5th best tackle. Take the best game breaker available.

That is how I feel. It depends on who is available when we pick. I really want one of those OTs, but a lot of mocks have most of them gone when we pick. If by some chance the top OTs are gone and spillar is still there, I wouldn't call it a bad pick at all. And personally, I would like spillar over clausen. And apparently the bills front office feels the same way.

I think that the bills won't draft spillar unless they can trade lynch before the draft. If they can't trade lynch in time, they won't pick spillar.

So if all the top OTs are gone and we still have lynch, I think we might actually trade down. Which would be nice with a draft so deep with linemen.

I am appauled by some of the people on this board. Have you guys learned nothing from watching the Bills this past year. WEAPONS MEAN NOTHING IF YOU CANT GET THEM THE BALL. You cant run effectivly without a strong line, you cant throw without a strong line and decent QB. We have neither of those! Last I checked we had a 1,000yrd runner on the roster that we are happy with and we also have a pretty darn good backup (even if he is a scum off the field). DRAFT LINE OR QB.

Spiller is a luxury pick the Bills cannot afford to make. If he is so good, teams will be offering us a King's ransom for that pick so they can get him.

we've got a dozen holes on this team, none of them are at RB

You folks can consult with Buddy anytime. :rolleyes: Those that want Spiller can join Donahoe on how to build a football team. Where's he currently employed again?

You folks can consult with Buddy anytime. :rolleyes: Those that want Spiller can join Donahoe on how to build a football team. Where's he currently employed again?

Hahahahahaha I mock you. I mock you mercilessly. Consider yourself mocked. Wow thanks HurlyBurly51 for showing me how much fun useless post's can be. You've been mocked. Why? Because you are both knowledgeless, and annoying. :D

I think theres a 75 percent chance the Bill's take Skelton or Snead in the 3rd.

Hahahahahaha I mock you. I mock you mercilessly. Consider yourself mocked. Seriously, you spew this idiocy of taking Skelton or Snead in the 3rd, and have the nerve to call others "knowledgeless"? WOW! So with picks like Spiller at #9 and Skelton or Snead with our 3rd round pick, I can imagine who you have in mind for our 2nd rounder. Or did you trade that away? I did a disservice to Donahoe by including you in his crowd. Go play Madden. Really guy, really?! :rolleyes::D

I can't believe anyone would be opposed to adding a tremendous offensive playmaker like Spiller on a team so lacking in playmakers. He would be an excellent pick.

I agree. The one thing the Bills are lacking on either side of the ball is a playmaker. Spiller is a multi-talented back with game changing speed and moves. He might not be Adrian Peterson because his game isn't based on power but think more along the lines of LT.

You folks can consult with Buddy anytime. :worthy: Those that want Spiller can join Donahoe on how to build a football team. Where's he currently employed again?

There's a huge difference between spending a first-round pick on Willis McGahee, who was still recovering from a career-threatening injury, and C.J. Spiller, who is perfectly healthy and ready to make an immediate impact.

I would want to draft the following players if available with the 9th pick in the draft if available in the following order. So if my top pick is gone which he will be..lol...then I'd want the next one and so on.

1. NDAMDKONG SUH DT (No brainer)

2. Sam Bradford QB

3. Russel Okung OT

4. Jimmy Clausen QB

5. Derrick Morgan DE (Rush LB in 3-4)

6. C.J. Spiller RB

7. Demaryius Thomas WR

Don't want Trent Williams OT, Dez Bryant WR, Most of the safeties in the draft, we are set with CB's for now....

Round 2

1. Bryan Bulaga OT (If slides)

2. Tony Pike QB

3. Jonathan Crompton QB

4. Mike Iupati G that may convert to OT

5. Jonathan Dwyer RB

6. Tim Tebow QB

So again this is just my list of preferences for our 1st round pick and 2nd round pick in order if any of these players were available at that pick in the order I have them. If the player isn't listed on my list then for one reason or another I have either identified a red flag (several on character and some on work ethic..don't want another Mike Williams) or I just don't like the player more than the ones I have ahead of them. I automatically excluded CB's, special team players, and only considered impact WR's and RB's IMO. My overall favorite player is Derrick Morgan DE Georgia Tech and wonder if the

G.T. connection will help his chances of landing in Buffalo seeing that most of the coaching staff originated there.

Bulaga, Iupati and Crompton in the 2nd......riiiight...

I don't see why everyone is up in arms over this. Seattle is in need of a running back. They covet C.J Spiller. They just got Whitehurst in a trade, So the Young QB is set. They are gonna take Spiller. Listen, I think the Bills should take a lineman early, but the same can be said about lineman, you can get a good one in the later rounds too. If It is possible, take Sam Bradford, however you can get him. There was talk that Everyone of the top 5 teams picking early, wanted to trade out of that spot. What will it cost? Is it a gamble? Sure is, but if Bradford's shoulder looks good, than I would try for him. If a run on lineman go early, than If Spiller is there, Why not? We need game breakers. As long as it's not a defensive back. Thats a spot we can afford to stay away from.

Well since they can't get a quality QB this year and apperantly are going to go with captain checkdown, doesn't it make sense to get a weapon that can take it all the way after trent throws the 2 yard passes to him? :worthy:

If a so called weapon can't even make it to the scrimmage line before being brutally assaulted then for all intents and purposes it is a blank weapon. :flirt:

While I belive this team has too many needs to pick up a RB, we also do need a RB. Jackson is old, and Lynch is a waste of space. He could be traded, he could be suspended at any given minute, and dont forget this is the last year of his contract (I think). I would much rather have a good QB, LT, LB, DT but if we cant trade down, and no one there is worth the 9th overall pick, I wouldnt be against Spiller. He could very well be the next great back in the NFL. Would anyone be opposed if we had a back that was like AP or LT for the next 5-10 years?

While I belive this team has too many needs to pick up a RB, we also do need a RB. Jackson is old, and Lynch is a waste of space. He could be traded, he could be suspended at any given minute, and dont forget this is the last year of his contract (I think). I would much rather have a good QB, LT, LB, DT but if we cant trade down, and no one there is worth the 9th overall pick, I wouldnt be against Spiller. He could very well be the next great back in the NFL. Would anyone be opposed if we had a back that was like AP or LT for the next 5-10 years?

AP and LT ran behind legitimate lines. If they ran behind the garbage we had last year they would most often be inactive due to multiple injuries.

well hold on there cowboy, if we took spiller and got a 3rd or better for lynch it wouldnt be so bad now would it?

I agree. It wouldn't be that bad, particularly if (1)top OT's and QB's are gone, and (2) it looks like we can get Thomas or Cody in the second.

You have no way of knowing if he is a Barry Sanders or a Reggie Bush (3rd down back) and Chris Johnson is good but the titans were still only 8-8 last year with a better D, and better QB situation.

If you feel you are a RB away from a super bowl contender, go for it. A mediocre line will get a guy like this killed. By the time the rest of the team is built up he is 3 years older and his surgically patched body runs a 4-5 40.

The only way I am happy with the bills picking him up is if they structure with him right after the pick for a linemen, and my read so far of Nix tells me there is no way Spiller is a consideration at 9.

If a so called weapon can't even make it to the scrimmage line before being brutally assaulted then for all intents and purposes it is a blank weapon. :worthy:

People like Spiller make plays, give him screens, draws, use him in open space. Our previous coaches did not no how to use their players.

Spiller is not my first choice, but i would not be upset if they take him at 9.

Spiller is a play maker and looks like he can score every time he touches the ball. I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him. Take an OT at #41 and trade Lynch for a 3rd or 4th round pick. You don't get a chance to draft a player like Spiller often and there is no QB that I would take over him besides maybe Bradford. Is there going to be a sure fire starting LT or NT #9??

I think the browns grap him before we have a chance..

Agree, McGee.

Plus the one-two punch of Jacko and Spills? Both good receivers and runners. You mean to tell me that between the TE and T teams have to worry about Nelso, Jackson and Spiller? Are you kidding me? Fogetaboutit!!

Yes it would. We need big bodies and a QB. I dont care how good a RB looks I dont think you take one in the first round let alone the top 10. You can find RBs you cant find QBs and LTs. You need to take a guy who can be a cornerstone of your team when you have a top 10 pick. I hate the idea of a skill player right now until you have built your front 5 on the O and your front 7 on the D. Forget WRs and RBs....please please please draft a tackle!

I agree but I'll call it the Adrian Peterson exception. One of the last things Minnesota needed was a RB a few years ago but Peterson ended up being their pick. His last season he seemed mortal and had a problem with fumbles but rare talents are...well...rare. If this guy is running sub 4.3 40's and is a home run threat play maker everytime he touches the ball it is tough to pass that up. I think LT and QB are much bigger needs as far as making the team better quickly. If we are on a 2 - 3 year plan then getting rare talent is more important perhaps than filling holes. Some would call it the best player available philosophy. People will kill me for this but I think Lynch would be a better compliment to Spiller. Might not Spiller just end up being a better Fred Jackson? Where would be the change of pace Beast mode?

Hahahahahaha I mock you. I mock you mercilessly. Consider yourself mocked. Seriously, you spew this idiocy of taking Skelton or Snead in the 3rd, and have the nerve to call others "knowledgeless"? WOW! So with picks like Spiller at #9 and Skelton or Snead with our 3rd round pick, I can imagine who you have in mind for our 2nd rounder. Or did you trade that away? I did a disservice to Donahoe by including you in his crowd. Go play Madden. Really guy, really?! :flirt::blink:

Ahhhh how sweet. I got me a twobillsdrive stalker. :worthy: Yea I can se Our first 3 rounds going Spiller,Saffold,Snead/Skelton. So go watch some college football and then get back to me.

If Spiller is the next ______________________, would you then be interested????

Emmitt? Thurman? OJ? Barry? What would it take??

Like a good QB,

OH H*ll to the Yah !! If he was the next Thurmanator :worthy: but i don't think it's going to happen !!

Ahhhh how sweet. I got me a twobillsdrive stalker. :worthy: Yea I can se Our first 3 rounds going Spiller,Saffold,Snead/Skelton. So go watch some college football and then get back to me.

Saying it once could have been in error, confirming it validates your idiocy :flirt:

Go back to Madden and let the adults discuss intelligently. Snead or Skelton going in the 3rd round :blink: Priceless, and the best part is you don't realize how stupid you sound!

OT and QB are obviously bigger needs. But I wouldn't be upset about this pick either. If we had a real offensive minded coach who could exploit a talent like this, we could do some things. Our run game ineffectiveness last year was more due to neglect than lack of quality. We could run block and not pass block, yet we passed about 70% of the plays or something like that (didn't look it up). With all of our run game problems last year, we were # 16 in the NFL running the football.

So, we add a major playmaker and let Coach Gailey design some stuff around that, I could be happy with that. But, we still need OLine and QB help, bad.

As far as ML being better with Spiller. Maybe. But my reason for getting rid of ML if we did would be because he's one dumb move away from a suspension. I think the man can still play and be effective if he can stay off suspension. What's wrong with 3 good RBs. We'll carry 3, why not have all be good?

There's a huge difference between spending a first-round pick on Willis McGahee, who was still recovering from a career-threatening injury, and C.J. Spiller, who is perfectly healthy and ready to make an immediate impact.

That's a great point! He's also not an unproven talent like Aaron Maybin. Both horrible picks by the Bills.

By the way, his 40 time was 4.27 at the combine. He's been clocked at 4.24 elsewhere.

Also his 20 yard burst was 2.41 which tied the record that was set by Chris Johnson last year.

His hands can change a game too. Like a Reggie Bush with actual NFL size.

in a year where the draft is the strongest in years with great linemen on both sides of the ball if anyone thinks we are taking a skill position in the first 3 rounds is out of their minds.

we need big men and this is the year to get them.

this draft is taylor made for the bills needs and anyone who thinks we dont take linemen on bothe sides of the ball early hasent got a clue!

The NFL Networks Analysts are paid versions of half the posters on this board, lots of talk, not lots of knowledge

The two other knuckleheads, Dukes and Woodson, both pushed for the Bills to take a QB, proving why they're commentators on a fringe network and not running a team. Like there's a guaranteed franchise QB available. Or if you really think Bradford or Clausen is one, like they might be their for the pickin' at #9. Or if they did grab one of those two guys, like they'd survive behind the current Bills line. You know, like, like, well, like say somethin' that shows you actually know the Bills situation. But what else would you expect from the "All Tebow All The Time Network."

I agree but I'll call it the Adrian Peterson exception. One of the last things Minnesota needed was a RB a few years ago but Peterson ended up being their pick. His last season he seemed mortal and had a problem with fumbles but rare talents are...well...rare. If this guy is running sub 4.3 40's and is a home run threat play maker everytime he touches the ball it is tough to pass that up. I think LT and QB are much bigger needs as far as making the team better quickly. If we are on a 2 - 3 year plan then getting rare talent is more important perhaps than filling holes. Some would call it the best player available philosophy. People will kill me for this but I think Lynch would be a better compliment to Spiller. Might not Spiller just end up being a better Fred Jackson? Where would be the change of pace Beast mode?

Here is the difference. The Vikings had there LT of the future in McKinney and they jsut signed an All Pro Guard in Hutch. True they needed a QB but There OLine and Dlines were solid when they went ahead and drafted a RB because he was the best player available.

The real question here is draft philosophy. I believe that the best way to build a team is to build from the lines out. Strong line play on both sides of the ball can make your skill positions look better, it does not work the other way around. And to all of the draft the best player available people.... this is teh NFl draft there are no such things as cant miss players. You need to go intot he draft year in and year out with a philosophy. And when building a team you need a long term plan. Look what the falcons did a few years back, they drafted a QB and a LT in there first year of rebuilding. The following year they drafted a DT in the first round. This is a team on the rise... why? Not because they have been drafting WRs and RBs in the first round.

Why is it that the bills have sucked the past decade? One, our QB play has been terrible. Two, our coaching has been terrible. Three, our OLine has been inconsistent and below average at best & four, our manegment has made bad personel decesions.

I am not trying to knock Spiller. The kid may be a great talent I jsut know that he is not what the Bills need right now to build a consistent winner. He may be what we need in three years but not now.