6 months sober!!

gomper

In August I decided to stop drinking because it was quite obvious that I was killing myself. I was living in such misery and some here told me it would get better. It did. Please know that in those really dark days, the encouraging words typed here by some of you made a big difference in my life. I know it's just the beginning and my life is way far from perfect but now there is hope. God, if the Bills-Browns game didn't push me off then nothing can (kidding of course).

Again, thanks to those who took the time. God bless!!

Awesome, Gomper! I have thought about you a lot and wondered how you were doing. Believe me, it will keep getting better. It really is an unbelievable and rather miraculous thing to go from that darkness to the hope you have now. You'll come to see that the hope is real, and you'll have complete freedom.........There's ups and downs along the way, as their is in all things, but the progression is upward when you keep doing what you're doing. Congrats!

In August I decided to stop drinking because it was quite obvious that I was killing myself. I was living in such misery and some here told me it would get better. It did. Please know that in those really dark days, the encouraging words typed here by some of you made a big difference in my life. I know it's just the beginning and my life is way far from perfect but now there is hope. God, if the Bills-Browns game didn't push me off then nothing can (kidding of course).

Excellent. One tip from my own experience- do NOT think because you've been dry for 6 months you can treat yourself to a bender. You will feel like crap, and the response will be to crack open a bottle to make yourself feel better. Here we go again. I honestly think a lot of daily drinking is just a attempt to survive the day after heavy drinking. And the days go on and on and on.

Congratulations on your progress gomper!

Keep up the good work. You will be more productive and your pockets will fill up with $$$$. Last year I stopped drinking the day after the super bowl. I went 4 months sober and never missed a drop of booze. One of my friends drank himself to death last fall. He lost his job when he kept showing up to work with a bottle in his back pocket. He would not listen to anyone showing concern for him. The bottle became his best friend. RIP Frank.

Wonderful news. Someone mentioned that you shouldn't ever drink again or you'll feel badly. Certainly great advice. But remember: if you do fall off the wagon (and tons of people do), day one clean can start the very next day and that's OK.

:thumbsup:

Congratulations !!! The fact that you acknowledged you had a problem, figured out a solution and stuck to it is very very commendable. It is a lifetime of a fight but well worth it.

That is wonderful news!!!

Not sure if it's the same as stopping smoking, but if you are an alcoholic you know that you can NEVER have even one drink. I know that I can never ever have a cigarette. But even after 10 years, I sometimes yearn for one.

At this point, it's a decision. And I pray that you will continue to make the right one.

That is wonderful news!!!

Not sure if it's the same as stopping smoking, but if you are an alcoholic you know that you can NEVER have even one drink. I know that I can never ever have a cigarette. But even after 10 years, I sometimes yearn for one.

At this point, it's a decision. And I pray that you will continue to make the right one.

This. After smoking from the time I was 13, I quit cold turkey last August. I haven't had a cigarette since because I know that one is too many, 1000000 are not enough. Excellent work, Gomper!

Congratulations, keep it up!

(says the guy with a beer label as an avatar.)

Is that what that is? I had it figured for a Spinal Tap album cover.

Gomper, it's doubly impressive that you stayed on the wagon through the Bills' 2009 season. I couldn't even do that, and I don't drink.

Good for you! :nana:

Now......I haven't had sex since August (when my fiancee dumped me).......got any suggestions? :cry:

way to go :nana: , i am sure there are many of us here, me included that could use a bit of sober time....keep up the good work!!!! :cry:

... congrats ! ... 14 years for me ! ... now i'm addicted to freezy pops and HDTV ! ... betcha like all that money you're saving too ! ... you'll find life has a lot more to offer ... whenever I got the urge I'd just get a double order of wings ! ... urges subside and go away with time ...