The Official Canada Olympic Hockey Thread

thebug

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Team Russia is clearly an overrated joke. Their coach couldn't make adjustments, Nabokov played one of the worst games I have ever seen from a goaltender, and their team defense was atrocious. How that garbage-pale team was ever favored to win anything is beyond me. They suck.

Canada better be ready for Sweden. They're gonna play a hell of a lot better game than Russia did.

I couldn't believe it when he was still in the net to start the second period.

What is "The Official Canada Olympic Hockey Thread" doing on this site? Wrong sport, wrong country.

But what really has me PO'd is that most spectators at today's US vs. Switzerland (today) were rooting for the Swiss and most of those spectators were wearing Canadian Olympic Jerseys. USA hockey has come a long way, far enough that the country that invented the sport of hockey doesn't want to see the one of tournaments best team make it to the medal rounds. Dare I say, the Canadians fear the US hockey squad. They even made excuses and pulled arguably the best NHL goalie ever for a local favorite. Just think, the average age of the US team is around 24-26 and will be an international force for some time.

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

What is "The Official Canada Olympic Hockey Thread" doing on this site? Wrong sport, wrong country.

But what really has me PO'd is that most spectators at today's US vs. Switzerland (today) were rooting for the Swiss and most of those spectators were wearing Canadian Olympic Jerseys. USA hockey has come a long way, far enough that the country that invented the sport of hockey doesn't want to see the one of tournaments best team make it to the medal rounds. Dare I say, the Canadians fear the US hockey squad. They even made excuses and pulled arguably the best NHL goalie ever for a local favorite. Just think, the average age of the US team is around 24-26 and will be an international force for some time.

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

FYI a lot of bills fans are Canadian so thats why. Like T.O said, the bills are North America's team. Oh and the spectators (who were mostly Canadian) were rootin for the swiss because everybody outside of the US cant stand Americans, especially there sport teams. After the beating the Canadians put on Russia tonight and Canada's desire to get revenge against the US i believe that it is the Americans that should be scared of the Canadians :thumbsup:

FYI a lot of bills fans are Canadian so thats why. Like T.O said, the bills are North America's team. Oh and the spectators (who were mostly Canadian) were rootin for the swiss because everybody outside of the US cant stand Americans, especially there sport teams. After the beating the Canadians put on Russia tonight and Canada's desire to get revenge against the US i believe that it is the Americans that should be scared of the Canadians :thumbsup:

Most Americans can't stand Canadians arrogance in the sport of hockey...and FYI...My neighbor insulted the United States of America once......ONCE!

Canada lost to the U.S. at the only thing Canada is good at. They shouldn't even be a country anymore.

Haha, may as well enjoy it while it lasts. You guys are screwed.

And when you're as good as Canada at hockey, you're allowed to be arrogant. The talent pool we have to choose for is so deep. Countries being able to send one team doesn't highlight Canada's dominance because surely every country can round together a 23-man roster that can compete. Canada could send four teams and have a chance at ranking 1-4 in the tournament.

That being said, I'm impressed by the US team this year. They're build like a real hockey team with two scoring lines and two energy/checking lines. Finland/US is going to be a very interesting game, and Slovakia/Canada should be good too, the Slovaks are asserting themselves as a world hockey power.

One of the things that you need to learn about Americans is that we fear noone. And as far as other countries hating America we know it is out of jealousy. Canada may well beat America later in the tournament if both teams make it to the gold medal game, but I can promise you that no American fears another country, particularly Canada. I am an American living in Newfoundland and am very well aware of how Canadians feel about America. They compare everything Canadian to everything American and pretend that their way is better, when deep down they really know better. If Canadian "culture" is so great, how come noone up here watches Canadian TV? Everyone watches the U.S. networks except the ones that the Canadian government won't let us have like ESPN, FX and USA. The only show worth watching on Canadian TV is "Republic of Doyle". Canadians kill me with their "holier than thou" attitude towards America and Americans, when they clearly want to be her. I have lived here for almost seven years because my wife grew up here, and I can find not one thing in Canada that I find better than anything American and that includes your sucky health care system. I waited over a year for a simple out patient procedure that would have taken less than a week to get in the U.S. and after having a heart atttack, I had to wait almost a year to see a cardioligist. Trample off hoser!

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

It's a cowards reaction to fear an opponent who gave you a previous smack down. I on the other hand am rooting for a USA - Canada rematch, that was a fun game to watch...

Anything with Official and Canada in it i have to laugh at... HAHA :thumbsup: (Just kidding by the way) but i have to talk smack...

I want a US Canada Rematch that was by far the best game i have watched in a very long time. Players wearing their emotions on their sleeves. Both teams have to be careful not to look past their semi opponets though could be a classic case of that. Especially for Canada not that Sweden lost.

FWIW, it pissed me off that all of the Canadian fans at the game yesterday were rooting so loudly against the US. I typically would not root against Canada for the sake of rooting against Canada, but it really pissed me off that Canadians were so vocal in rooting against the US as I suspect they will be in the game against Finland.

I suppose it might be because they are worried about playing against us.

I have been outside of the US a lot. I disagree with your comment although it is a common misconception that has some truth to it. I can tell you that French Canadians are not well liked in Paris. They are below Americans on the social scale which I find to be an amusing aspect of the French culture.

In any world disaster you take a look at the aid provided by the US. Typically the US contributes more aid (measured in dollars and in people) than the rest of the world combined. When times are tough the USA is there to help and that is recognized and appreciated by some.

Canada is a nice country and I like it and the people. Some Canadians have an inferiority complex when it come to the US and feel they have to down the US in order to prop up Canada. That is a shame.

I think that Canada wil have a huge advantage if there is a rematch with the US. I suspect Canada will win but I would not under estimate the US ... you could end up crying in your Molson's.

And when you're as good as Canada at hockey, you're allowed to be arrogant. The talent pool we have to choose for is so deep. Countries being able to send one team doesn't highlight Canada's dominance because surely every country can round together a 23-man roster that can compete. Canada could send four teams and have a chance at ranking 1-4 in the tournament.

If Canada and their players are so great then why do all their best players play in the NHL?

surely there must be a better league in Canada if its so great

its really killing Canadian fans that they lost to the US

If Canada and their players are so great then why do all their best players play in the NHL?

I think this is what pisses off Canadians the most...

Yeah, the best players in the world are ORIGINALLY from your country, but now they reside in San Jose, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Columbus....oh wait, one of them plays for Calgary. Good for you.

Time for a history lesson.

It took Canada 50 years to beat the Russians in Olympic hockey. For decades the Canadians have complained about Russian professionals beating Canadian amatuers. Please recall that two Russian teams toured North America in the 70's and kicked the crap out of most of the NHL teams! Those teams were 98% Canaidians. So much for that great Canadian depth you speak of.

After that, American college kids beat the Russians in the 1980 Olympics. Where was Canada and that great depth from their Jr. Hockey or-gan-eye-zay-shun? Since that time the NHL has many more Europeans and Americans in it. The Canadian dominance you speak of is eroded today. Since the early 70's the NHL has gone from 98% Canadians to approximately 50% Canadian. In twenty years it could could be 25%.

Canada might just win the gold but you need to get a clue.

FYI a lot of bills fans are Canadian so thats why. Like T.O said, the bills are North America's team. Oh and the spectators (who were mostly Canadian) were rootin for the swiss because everybody outside of the US cant stand Americans, especially there sport teams. After the beating the Canadians put on Russia tonight and Canada's desire to get revenge against the US i believe that it is the Americans that should be scared of the Canadians <_<

FYI, I don't have no problem with the fact that many Bills fans reside in Canada. Just like many Red Wings fans reside in Windsor. It's a phenomenon called geographic location.

Buffalo has to reach out to surrounding areas because there is a density of people living outside the city to fill about 80000 seats and we all are aware that it is a smaller market.

My initial point is that this is site devoted to BUFFALO BILLS FOOTBALL, a product of the NFL. This thread deserves to be another site, like maybe an NHL site or Canadian hockey site. Please don't think I am anti-Canada, I find the threads about the Yankees just as or more so, unnecessary.

That has got to be the most ignorant thing I've ever read on this board, and that is saying a lot. Good luck to you man. In everything. Looks like you're going to need it.

Come on dude, enough depth to be ranked 1-4? If true, how come their pro players are ranked 6 after the prelims? Don't get me wrong, Canada has one of the top three teams in the Olympics (maybe the best), but they aren't as dominate as Canadians think.

If nearly as high of a percentage of Americans (or Germans or Russians or fill in the blank of a country other than Canada) played hockey as does the % of canadians, I'm sure you would be singing a different tune my friend to the North.

That has got to be the most ignorant thing I've ever read on this board, and that is saying a lot. Good luck to you man. In everything. Looks like you're going to need it.

how exactly is that the most ignorant thing you've read on this board?....is it not the truth or is it that the truth hurts

the rest of your post is even more comical

Russia was a team filled with great individual talent. They were not a cohesive team, though. That was very evident last night. Switzerland played as a more cohesive team and had great games against both the US and Canada. Canada and the US are the best two overall teams in this tournament and I think they will both end up playing Sunday for the gold. We might end up with a thrilling rematch on Sunday.

Come on dude, enough depth to be ranked 1-4? If true, how come their pro players are ranked 6 after the prelims? Don't get me wrong, Canada has one of the top three teams in the Olympics (maybe the best), but they aren't as dominate as Canadians think.

If nearly as high of a percentage of Americans (or Germans or Russians or fill in the blank of a country other than Canada) played hockey as does the % of canadians, I'm sure you would be singing a different tune my friend to the North.

Oh no don't get me wrong I'm not saying they would for sure. But it wouldn't be out of the realm of the possibility. It would be very easy for me to compile four Team Canada's that could measure up to any other team in this tournament. Canada 2 and Canada 3 could easily give a team like Russia a good run for its money. Now, if you go the US route and split up our scoring forwards and energy guys, we could have 8 teams that could compete. For example, Matt Duchene is one of the better young players in the NHL. He would be lucky to make our 3rd team right now, and might be a fringe player on our fourth team. And that's without adding in grinders like Cal Clutterbuck (one of the best hitters in the game).

As for the person who asked why we don't have our own league...ridiculous question. I never claimed that Canada can support a better hockey league, we don't have the economy or the population. I just said that we have the most depth.

To further my example on depth, we could use guys who have never even played in the NHL yet (like Cody Hodgson), and we'd still compete at the Olympics.

oh yeah, and about the last part, you're right I would be singing a different tune. But that's not the case is it. I'm not denying that that's part of what gives us so much depth.

Here, look at this for example. Say this was our B team:

St. Louis - Lecavalier - B. Richards

Carter - Stamkos - Gagne

Burrows - Fisher - Doan

Cammalleri - J. Staal - Sharp

Bouwmeester - Myers

Robidas - Phaneuf

Green - Regehr

M. Staal

Turco

Ward

C. Mason

Coach: Sutter

Assistant: T. Murray

Assistant: Boudreau

Can you honestly argue that this wouldn't be the best team in the tournament if you take away Canada A?

What about our C team?

Smyth - Spezza - Horton

Wolski - Briere - Penner

Neal - Weiss - Brunette

Bourque - Zajac - Clowe

Campbell - Jovanovski

Letang - Blake

Hamhuis - Phillips

Barker

Price

Ellis

S. Mason

Coach: Tippit

Assistant: Martin

Assistant: Julien

Captain: Smyth

Assistant: Jovanovski

Assistant: Phillips

ALRIGHT, here's where it gets iffy, our D team:

Whitney - Ribiero - Roy

McDonald - Arnott - Peverly

Moulson - Duchene - Stewart

Raymond - Laich - Vermette

Bieksa - Brewer

Wideman - Burns

Girodano - Morris

White

Roloson

Elliot

Giguere

Coach: Quinn

Assistant: Quenneville

Assistant: Carlyle

Captain: Brewer

Assistant: Arnott

Assistant: Whitney

Our D team I can't say would hands down win it all, but it would have a chance. Now, imagine if you split up teams A and B, take some elite players and spread them around, add in checking lines on each team. You'd have four very even teams that could all easily have a chance to compete for gold.

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Do you blame them? If the olympics were on US soil, do you honestly think the entire crowd wouldn't be booing the Canadians if they beat us the game before? The US isn't liked in anything, which is fine with me. How come the Patriots have, and still are, hated by most of the NFL? The best are always hated for being the best.

Here, look at this for example. Say this was our B team:

St. Louis - Lecavalier - B. Richards

Carter - Stamkos - Gagne

Burrows - Fisher - Doan

Cammalleri - J. Staal - Sharp

Bouwmeester - Myers

Robidas - Phaneuf

Green - Regehr

M. Staal

Turco

Ward

C. Mason

Coach: Sutter

Assistant: T. Murray

Assistant: Boudreau

Can you honestly argue that this wouldn't be the best team in the tournament if you take away Canada A?

What about our C team?

Smyth - Spezza - Horton

Wolski - Briere - Penner

Neal - Weiss - Brunette

Bourque - Zajac - Clowe

Campbell - Jovanovski

Letang - Blake

Hamhuis - Phillips

Barker

Price

Ellis

S. Mason

Coach: Tippit

Assistant: Martin

Assistant: Julien

Captain: Smyth

Assistant: Jovanovski

Assistant: Phillips

ALRIGHT, here's where it gets iffy, our D team:

Whitney - Ribiero - Roy

McDonald - Arnott - Peverly

Moulson - Duchene - Stewart

Raymond - Laich - Vermette

Bieksa - Brewer

Wideman - Burns

Girodano - Morris

White

Roloson

Elliot

Giguere

Coach: Quinn

Assistant: Quenneville

Assistant: Carlyle

Captain: Brewer

Assistant: Arnott

Assistant: Whitney

Our D team I can't say would hands down win it all, but it would have a chance. Now, imagine if you split up teams A and B, take some elite players and spread them around, add in checking lines on each team. You'd have four very even teams that could all easily have a chance to compete for gold.

Maybe, maybe not, but you can't split up the teams, can you? So until the olympic committee lets Canada do so, they may as well focus on winning with the one team they do get.

I'll say this though, if the US and Canada were to meet in the finals, there's no better scenario for Team USA. Literally no pressure to win, but all the glory if you do. I'd say that should make for quite the nothing-to-lose mentality...can you say the same about Team Canada? I think not, considering that it would be the 3rd time in less than 2 months that the Americans defeated the Canadians in ice hockey on their own turf (if you include the World Juniors and Olympic Preliminary games).

Maybe, maybe not, but you can't split up the teams, can you? So until the olympic committee lets Canada do so, they may as well focus on winning with the one team they do get.

I'll say this though, if the US and Canada were to meet in the finals, there's no better scenario for Team USA. Literally no pressure to win, but all the glory if you do. I'd say that should make for quite the nothing-to-lose mentality...can you say the same about Team Canada?

You're right, we'll never be allowed to split up the teams, I'm just making a point of our tremendous depth. It's not our top players that makes Canada so good. It's not hard for a country to find 23 guys that are amazing at hockey. It's being deep. That's why the olympics doesn't allow Canada to showcase its deep talent in hockey.

You're right about the pressure thing, it's kind of a switch of Salt Lake City...except one thing.

The Canada-Russia game last night was more anticipated than the Gold Medal game will be. The build-up for it was tremendous. Nothing beats Canada-Russia, it's like how the rivalry in the NHL between the Habs and the Leafs will never be matched. Not even close, as good as some of the rivalries are (like the growing Pens/Caps, which I love). Anyone who's been lucky enough to experience Leafs/Habs know what I'm talking about.