The Official Canada Olympic Hockey Thread

thebug

If Canada and their players are so great then why do all their best players play in the NHL?

surely there must be a better league in Canada if its so great

its really killing Canadian fans that they lost to the US

You do realize that the "National" in NHL doesn't mean the U.S., right?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI a lot of bills fans are Canadian so thats why. Like T.O said, the bills are North America's team. Oh and the spectators (who were mostly Canadian) were rootin for the swiss because everybody outside of the US cant stand Americans, especially there sport teams. After the beating the Canadians put on Russia tonight and Canada's desire to get revenge against the US i believe that it is the Americans that should be scared of the Canadians <_<

I have a lot of Canadian friends. They don't hate Americans. To say that everyone outside the US can't stand Americans is just ignorant. You apparently haven't traveled much. The US isn't perfect, in fact far from it, but it is without a doubt the most diverse, altruistic nation in the world. People may not like our policies but there's no doubt who the top dog is.

If Canada and their players are so great then why do all their best players play in the NHL?

surely there must be a better league in Canada if its so great

its really killing Canadian fans that they lost to the US

Maybe because the "National Hockey League" is the best league in the world?

Haha to make it clear to everyone who responded to my post i am Canadian but am not anti-american. In fact i LOVE everything American culture has to offer like their sports and entertainment. If anything im anti-canadian and really think canada is lame. The way the canadian gov and tv makes it look we all are !@#$in hockey lovers who are obsessed with snow and native culture (like those stupid new medals we created for the Vancouver 2010!) makes me sick! In fact i dont really like hockey.

[/quote- Bob in STL]

I have been outside of the US a lot. I disagree with your comment although it is a common misconception that has some truth to it. I can tell you that French Canadians are not well liked in Paris. They are below Americans on the social scale which I find to be an amusing aspect of the French culture.

Sorry dude but newfoundland and Quebec are gay and things are way different here in southern ontario. I hate quebec and i hope they leave Canada lol and newfy's are like 3 time zones away from where i live and are to far away from america to truly have a valid opinion. As for me i live 5 minutes away from the US (literally since i live in Niagara Falls) and go there quite a bit and its awesome!

[/quote- MotownBillsFan]

FYI, I don't have no problem with the fact that many Bills fans reside in Canada. Just like many Red Wings fans reside in Windsor. It's a phenomenon called geographic location.

Uhm i think you forgot that you said "Wrong sport, wrong country". So that is why i said that many Canadians are bills fans which is why we are active on this forum and will talk to each other about Canada's hockey team just like Americans and their hockey team. I never said that you had a problem with it, but just explaining why we do.

[/quote- Bob in STL]

It took Canada 50 years to beat the Russians in Olympic hockey. For decades the Canadians have complained about Russian professionals beating Canadian amatuers. Please recall that two Russian teams toured North America in the 70's and kicked the crap out of most of the NHL teams! Those teams were 98% Canaidians. So much for that great Canadian depth you speak of.

Time for a history lesson of your own :censored:. When the Russians played the Canadians in the Olympics professional athletes were not allowed to compete. And since 98% of NHL players were Canadian and were "professionals" they were not allowed to compete. Russia on the other hand were communist so no body was allowed to be professional. This means that the Russians played with all their best players while the Canadians played with their amateurs who were not even good enough to make it to the NHL. And it was Canada who defeated the Russians 4 games to 3 in the 72 series. The series where the best Canadian players could actually play!

[/quote- Wooderson]

How come the Patriots have, and still are, hated by most of the NFL? The best are always hated for being the best.

Actually that is not entirely true. I (like most bills fans) HATE the Patriots, Cowboys, and Dolphins. These teams traditionally win and can be compared to the US on the national stage, correct? However a team like the Colts have been at the top for a while now (at least in regular season) and i really like them. Why? because most of their fans are not arrogant and do not shove their success in your face! Can we all agree that the PAts Cowboys and Dolphins fans are A-holes? I think any proper bills fan would agree. So, when it comes to the US im all for national pride but when Americans are dicks about it and shove it in our faces (and the whole worlds faces) by screaming USA and saying how they are the BEST COUNTRY in the world and how every other one sucks it should be obvious to see why a lot of Canadians dont like Americans :unsure: .

But I like the US and Americans <_< just giving insight as to why other countries dont.

I have a lot of Canadian friends. They don't hate Americans. To say that everyone outside the US can't stand Americans is just ignorant. You apparently haven't traveled much. The US isn't perfect, in fact far from it, but it is without a doubt the most diverse, altruistic nation in the world. People may not like our policies but there's no doubt who the top dog is.

Ok well i live right on the border and have been all over America and go to the states almost every week so i am pretty well traveled. and i never said that we hate Americans, we just cant stand some things they do (see previous post). Also i would have to contest your "without a doubt" statement that the US is the most diverse country in the world. Have you ever been to Canada? The city of Toronto is the most diverse city in the world (actually statistically proven). Canada on the whole may or may not be as diverse as the US, but it is pretty close. But again it is from statements like this where Americans assume they are the best at something without having full knowledge on the subject that kinda pisses us off. And the most altruistic? Thats a bold statement. Canada does its part to help others just as much as the states, but we have less money and resources so the amount is not as much but the intent is still strong! It is the Americans that are the most ignorant (on average, not all becuase many americans are open too many things) because they only care to know their own history and could give 2 ***** about any other country. How many Americans know anything about Canadian history before making statements about Canada? Americans probably learn nothing about other countries histories unless its ancient histroy or advanced history. Us Canadians learn about American history and others around the world.

[/quote- MotownBillsFan]

FYI, I don't have no problem with the fact that many Bills fans reside in Canada. Just like many Red Wings fans reside in Windsor. It's a phenomenon called geographic location.

Uhm i think you forgot that you said "Wrong sport, wrong country". So that is why i said that many Canadians are bills fans which is why we are active on this forum and will talk to each other about Canada's hockey team just like Americans and their hockey team. I never said that you had a problem with it, but just explaining why we do.

Good point Dute, I should have been a little more clear. Anyway, I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings.

I love all this banter.

Haha to make it clear to everyone who responded to my post i am Canadian but am not anti-american. In fact i LOVE everything American culture has to offer like their sports and entertainment. If anything im anti-canadian and really think canada is lame. The way the canadian gov and tv makes it look we all are !@#$in hockey lovers who are obsessed with snow and native culture (like those stupid new medals we created for the Vancouver 2010!) makes me sick! In fact i dont really like hockey.

[/quote- Bob in STL]

I have been outside of the US a lot. I disagree with your comment although it is a common misconception that has some truth to it. I can tell you that French Canadians are not well liked in Paris. They are below Americans on the social scale which I find to be an amusing aspect of the French culture.

Sorry dude but newfoundland and Quebec are gay and things are way different here in southern ontario. I hate quebec and i hope they leave Canada lol and newfy's are like 3 time zones away from where i live and are to far away from america to truly have a valid opinion. As for me i live 5 minutes away from the US (literally since i live in Niagara Falls) and go there quite a bit and its awesome!

[/quote- MotownBillsFan]

[/quote- Bob in STL]

It took Canada 50 years to beat the Russians in Olympic hockey. For decades the Canadians have complained about Russian professionals beating Canadian amatuers. Please recall that two Russian teams toured North America in the 70's and kicked the crap out of most of the NHL teams! Those teams were 98% Canaidians. So much for that great Canadian depth you speak of.

Time for a history lesson of your own :censored:. When the Russians played the Canadians in the Olympics professional athletes were not allowed to compete. And since 98% of NHL players were Canadian and were "professionals" they were not allowed to compete. Russia on the other hand were communist so no body was allowed to be professional. This means that the Russians played with all their best players while the Canadians played with their amateurs who were not even good enough to make it to the NHL. And it was Canada who defeated the Russians 4 games to 3 in the 72 series. The series where the best Canadian players could actually play!

[/quote- Wooderson]

How come the Patriots have, and still are, hated by most of the NFL? The best are always hated for being the best.

Actually that is not entirely true. I (like most bills fans) HATE the Patriots, Cowboys, and Dolphins. These teams traditionally win and can be compared to the US on the national stage, correct? However a team like the Colts have been at the top for a while now (at least in regular season) and i really like them. Why? because most of their fans are not arrogant and do not shove their success in your face! Can we all agree that the PAts Cowboys and Dolphins fans are A-holes? I think any proper bills fan would agree. So, when it comes to the US im all for national pride but when Americans are dicks about it and shove it in our faces (and the whole worlds faces) by screaming USA and saying how they are the BEST COUNTRY in the world and how every other one sucks it should be obvious to see why a lot of Canadians dont like Americans :unsure: .

But I like the US and Americans <_< just giving insight as to why other countries dont.

Respectfully, yes a lot of Americans (including myself) believe that we have the greatest country on Earth, but I don't know too many people, if any, that go the extra mile to say every other country sucks.

...and from the non stop flag waving in Vancouver, even during non-Canadian hockey games, I'm pretty sure Canadians think they've got the best country on Earth, which is great they should think that way. The issue I have with some of these Anti-American Canucks is their arrogance over the game of hockey. It's their game, they invented it and Americans don't know shat about hockey (see TSN.ca boards or sit next to a Maple Leaf Fan at HSBC), yet Americans are the arrogant/ignorant ones. I've played and watched hockey all of my life yet a someone living 10 miles north of me knows more by birthright.

When I was younger I disliked Canadians a lot. My only exposure was drunk fans at football and hockey games, but then I grew up a lil and realized no one should be judged on the whole. I laugh when I hear the "Fat American McDonald's eating..." comments from peoples of other countries. JMO

I sat in front of these ignoramouses at the opening Buffalo/Montreal game this season.

During the US National Anthem for some reason they were saying "ignorance is bliss" and they were laughing about the Challenger Disaster.

During the game they were ragging on the people of Buffalo for being really dumb. The blooper reel they show on the jumbotron they assumed were all people from Buffalo. The one kept telling the other one to watch "Idiocracy" and then call him so they can laugh "for hours" about it. They were the biggest losers in the world. The only Montreal fans there alone and not in a boisterous group.... and they also probably lived about 2 minutes over the Peace Bridge.

Being subjected to that for 3 hours soured me on all of Canada for awhile. I have noticed this "holier than thou" crap building for the past 8 years... it is BS and Canadians need to stop. Me, and most others from Buffalo think very highly of Canada and would never go up there and disrespect Canadians as they come here to do. Essentially, the laces are very similar and our fates are tied to one another.

You're right, we'll never be allowed to split up the teams, I'm just making a point of our tremendous depth. It's not our top players that makes Canada so good. It's not hard for a country to find 23 guys that are amazing at hockey. It's being deep. That's why the olympics doesn't allow Canada to showcase its deep talent in hockey.

You're right about the pressure thing, it's kind of a switch of Salt Lake City...except one thing.

The Canada-Russia game last night was more anticipated than the Gold Medal game will be. The build-up for it was tremendous. Nothing beats Canada-Russia, it's like how the rivalry in the NHL between the Habs and the Leafs will never be matched. Not even close, as good as some of the rivalries are (like the growing Pens/Caps, which I love). Anyone who's been lucky enough to experience Leafs/Habs know what I'm talking about.

Except that the Leafs/Habs suck right now so it's like watching two douche bags scrap it out...

And this is coming from a Habs fan.

[/quote- MotownBillsFan]

Yeah because Ontario is so great. I mean, you're there's so much to do, everyone goes out till about Midnight I believe?

I sat in front of these ignoramouses at the opening Buffalo/Montreal game this season.

During the US National Anthem for some reason they were saying "ignorance is bliss" and they were laughing about the Challenger Disaster.

During the game they were ragging on the people of Buffalo for being really dumb. The blooper reel they show on the jumbotron they assumed were all people from Buffalo. The one kept telling the other one to watch "Idiocracy" and then call him so they can laugh "for hours" about it. They were the biggest losers in the world. The only Montreal fans there alone and not in a boisterous group.... and they also probably lived about 2 minutes over the Peace Bridge.

Being subjected to that for 3 hours soured me on all of Canada for awhile. I have noticed this "holier than thou" crap building for the past 8 years... it is BS and Canadians need to stop. Me, and most others from Buffalo think very highly of Canada and would never go up there and disrespect Canadians as they come here to do. Essentially, the laces are very similar and our fates are tied to one another.

Clearly you had the misfortune of sitting next to a couple of losers. Just like the USA, Canada has idiots as well and I know it's hard not to paint us all with the same brush. I have had Bills season tickets for I think 7 years now and I actually changed sections a few years back because of 2 idiots in front of us. According to these 2 drunkin knobs, Canadians shouldn't even be allowed in the stadium, I beg to differ. I know that the majority of American are nothing likes these guys and the new section that I am in (full of Americans) is great. Sporting events are not a good indicator of the quality of people in a nation.

This past December I went to Buffalo for the Pat* game and I asked my 5 year old son if he wanted me to bring him anything back, he wanted an American flag (he's a big Rocky fan, loves USA and hates Russia and Ivan drago). I picked him up a flag at the Home depot and he has had it hanging in his room ever since. Well the little bastard went upstairs to get it during the Canada/USA hockey game and was waving it in my face the whole time. :nana:

Clearly you had the misfortune of sitting next to a couple of losers. Just like the USA, Canada has idiots as well and I know it's hard not to paint us all with the same brush. I have had Bills season tickets for I think 7 years now and I actually changed sections a few years back because of 2 idiots in front of us. According to these 2 drunkin knobs, Canadians shouldn't even be allowed in the stadium, I beg to differ. I know that the majority of American are nothing likes these guys and the new section that I am in (full of Americans) is great. Sporting events are not a good indicator of the quality of people in a nation.

This past December I went to Buffalo for the Pat* game and I asked my 5 year old son if he wanted me to bring him anything back, he wanted an American flag (he's a big Rocky fan, loves USA and hates Russia and Ivan drago). I picked him up a flag at the Home depot and he has had it hanging in his room ever since. Well the little bastard went upstairs to get it during the Canada/USA hockey game and was waving it in my face the whole time. :nana:

Attakid. :cry:

Yeah because Ontario is so great. I mean, you're there's so much to do, everyone goes out till about Midnight I believe?

HAHA your just pissed off cuz your from probably from Quebec :nana: im just kiddin man i dont have nothin against newfys or quebec people. But i do think that Canada is so F'n big that its like we are not even in the same country and the culture is very different. We are way more american down here. Oh and haha thats real funny when you say there nothin to do in Ontario when 1/3 of Canada's pop. lives down here plus i live right next to the falls where the night never ends.

haha. thats funny. re: Kid with flag.

but yeah, I cant stand that crap. Its so insulting. "all canadians should not be allowed to come to the stadium". "People from Buffalo/US are all arrogant, fat, and stupid". We're just fat and stupid. Only some of us are arrogant.

I wish all the citizens on both sides of the border realized how awesome of a thing we have. I think Canadians... especially those in Ontario and Quebec, hold a resentment towards the US, especially due to the Bush years and the US's military might and squandering of military lives. Perhaps without the US military might, Canada may not be able to exist as it is.

I root for Canada in all things once the US is eliminated. In the dark days of Tkachuk, Roenick, Hull, etc I would root for Canada over the U.S.

Good point Dute, I should have been a little more clear. Anyway, I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings.

I love all this banter.

I love it too bud :nana: and to be honest about a couple yrs ago i used to have a terrible attitude toward America and people there but reading on the bills threads really helped me see how good Americans are and how much we have in common.

I love it too bud :cry: and to be honest about a couple yrs ago i used to have a terrible attitude toward America and people there but reading on the bills threads really helped me see how good Americans are and how much we have in common.

Like how we hate the fuggin patriots. :nana:

HAHA your just pissed off cuz your from probably from Quebec :nana: im just kiddin man i dont have nothin against newfys or quebec people. But i do think that Canada is so F'n big that its like we are not even in the same country and the culture is very different. We are way more american down here. Oh and haha thats real funny when you say there nothin to do in Ontario when 1/3 of Canada's pop. lives down here plus i live right next to the falls where the night never ends.

I'm not taking it personally. I'll just say that on my way to watch a Bills game last year, I stopped off at Niagara Falls for the Saturday night. Needless to say, the bars closed at 2am and the bartenders weren't very busy. I guess I'm just used to something different here :cry:

Except that the Leafs/Habs suck right now so it's like watching two douche bags scrap it out...

And this is coming from a Habs fan.

True enough, especially the Leafs. But those games are still crazy. Imagine how things would be if they were both competing for the division. Quite a few years ago when Carolina went to the Cup, we were so close to having a Leafs-Habs conference final. It would have been amazing.

And I have to admit, as a Leafs fan, the Leafs/Habs games in Montreal are the best, period. Went to my first one on halloween, and the atmosphere was like nothing else, and for an early regular season game at that.

but yeah, I cant stand that crap. Its so insulting. "all canadians should not be allowed to come to the stadium". "People from Buffalo/US are all arrogant, fat, and stupid". We're just fat and stupid. Only some of us are arrogant.

I wish all the citizens on both sides of the border realized how awesome of a thing we have. I think Canadians... especially those in Ontario and Quebec, hold a resentment towards the US, especially due to the Bush years and the US's military might and squandering of military lives. Perhaps without the US military might, Canada may not be able to exist as it is.

I root for Canada in all things once the US is eliminated. In the dark days of Tkachuk, Roenick, Hull, etc I would root for Canada over the U.S.

Really...this is the US attitude that Canadians find really annoying. As a nation, Canada has always fought BY America's side and been their most loyal ally. Americans who claim "if it wasn't for us, Canada wouldn't be around." really grinds Canadians gears. Last I checked, Canada has never been invaded and hasn't needed the US to fight its wars for them.

Don't let a hockey game for a piece of metal bring out the worst in you, regardless of what country you're from. The Canadians chanting F*** USA after the game are the same drunk morons who boo the Canadian anthem like Boston fans did last year during the playoffs. Every nation has morons, don't let them paint the picture of what a country is.

Now, back to the actual game....I was one of the few who actually said it was going to be a Canada-US final. Miller is too good a goalie right now and the US is a well-rounded team. That being said, I think the US beating Canada was the best thing that could have had to them. To be beaten on home ice hurt their feelings and it gave them an extra game to work on their team chemistry.

Honestly, the most impressive team to me in this tourney was the Swiss.

Add Chelios to that list.

You do realize that the "National" in NHL doesn't mean the U.S., right?

So how many Canadian teams in the NHL? Oh yeah, 6. And how many American teams? Oh yeah, 24. There would be no NHL if it weren't for America. Yes, there are twice as many Canadian players, but where would those guys play if the teams weren't mostly in the U.S. What the previous poster was saying, was that if Canada is so great, then why don't they have their own league that is better than the NHL?

So how many Canadian teams in the NHL? Oh yeah, 6. And how many American teams? Oh yeah, 24. There would be no NHL if it weren't for America. Yes, there are twice as many Canadian players, but where would those guys play if the teams weren't mostly in the U.S. What the previous poster was saying, was that if Canada is so great, then why don't they have their own league that is better than the NHL?

How many of those US teams sellout, How many of teh Canadian Teams sell out every game. Im from The Good Ol USA, but Canada is better at hockey then the USA, just like the USA is superior to Canada in football. Yea the Gap may be shrinking, but right now canada still has teh edge.

Cant wait for the Gold Medal Game. A quote from a dead terrorist: "We kick your a$$" :thumbsup:

This IS "their own league." And if rich American businessmen are willing to pay millions of dollars to own a franchise in it, all the better.

Really...this is the US attitude that Canadians find really annoying. As a nation, Canada has always fought BY America's side and been their most loyal ally. Americans who claim "if it wasn't for us, Canada wouldn't be around." really grinds Canadians gears. Last I checked, Canada has never been invaded and hasn't needed the US to fight its wars for them.

i wonder why :thumbsup:

It's unfortunate that Canada doesn't have the economy to have more teams in their cities, but it doesn't mean they're any less dedicated to hockey. I don't consider the sunbelt franchises teams, I consider them disgraces to hockey. Canadians live for hockey much like we Buffalonians live for football. I don't blame the canucks who feel bitter when a Winnepeg or a Quebec city has to watch their teams go to cities who couldn't care less about having a team. We're dealing with the same issues they dealt with per the Bills staying in Buffalo. Buffalo is identified by its football team and watching it go to LA where they could care less would be the same disgrace.

That being said I still want to kick their ass soooo bad in the Gold Medal game. :thumbsup:

Are people really arguing that the US > Canada in terms of hockey?

Not even close. Their olympic team is a lot better. The US stole a preliminary round game... which is great for US hockey fans. Unfortunately, then game was watched by less people than the NFL Pro Bowl. In Canada, the game broke viewing records.

It would be enjoyable if the US can beat Finland, and then Canada/Slovakia,