Captain Checkdown

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it.

Whoever his friend is, great text!

There should be gratuities to a few board members here, but that's the kind of reporting I like to read. Facts, with a bit of spice. Revealed something new while presenting a challenge to our offense.

IMO, a tad short ended though.. I thought there was a paraghraph missing as it seemed he was leading up to a zinger finish line.

It'd all be okay if Edwards was a more effective short-yardage passer - able to find slants and hooks that led to YACs and first downs. If that's a WR problem, a QB problem, or a coaching problem i don't know, but all of our short passes turn into punts.

Given Trent earning his nickname so far this season, plus his 185-game catch streak being broken, it's amazing TO didn't go postal and throw Trent under the bus after the Saints game. Yet he still caught hell for "having an attitude" after a tough and frustrating loss. :D

It'd all be okay if Edwards was a more effective short-yardage passer - able to find slants and hooks that led to YACs and first downs. If that's a WR problem, a QB problem, or a coaching problem i don't know, but all of our short passes turn into punts.

He is not 100% to blame here. The coaches call nothing to get Evans or Owens in a miss match. They run nothing across the field or even in motion. Put Evans in the slot and watch defenses go crazy. There is no originality in this offense. Watch Fitzgerald and Johnson. The best WR's in the game and 9-10 always open.

Had to be said. What I don't get is other posters chiding him for saying what we are all thinking. The guy is gun shy. Holy Crap I wonder how long it takes him to choose a side at Boston Market while the line is out the door.

no problem with what he said, but don't give Owens crap for keeping his trap shut when it's obvious that this team is severely handicapped.

Guest dog14787

If folks can't put the new rookie O-line and new OC one week before the season started into the proper perspective, not to mention our lack of GM and having an idiot for a HC who let all this happened, by all means lets blame the QB for his lack of protection or the time needed to allow longer pass patterns to develop.

Get some brains people, it all starts upfront with the O-line.

easy to defend an offense with a QB that has tendancies like this

Edwards throws 10 yards or shorter 77 percent of the time. He has thrown only 21 passes beyond 10 yards, and eight of those were longer than 20 yards downfield.

easy to defend an offense with a QB that has tendancies like this

Edwards throws 10 yards or shorter 77 percent of the time. He has thrown only 21 passes beyond 10 yards, and eight of those were longer than 20 yards downfield.

easily to offend an offense whose plays suck

He is not 100% to blame here. The coaches call nothing to get Evans or Owens in a miss match. They run nothing across the field or even in motion. Put Evans in the slot and watch defenses go crazy. There is no originality in this offense. Watch Fitzgerald and Johnson. The best WR's in the game and 9-10 always open.

He may not be 100% to blame, but he's at least 90% to blame. Anyone who has been to a Bills game in the last 3 years and watches the WRs can tell you they're open often but not thrown to. It's hard to tell on TV. But, ow many games have you watched where the announcer says he's got guys open but not throwing to them? I've seen a bunch. In Trent's 3rd year as starter with his third OC I have confidently come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what you do, Trent's going to the TE and RBs 75% of the time or more. Were Fairchild, Turk and now Alex all calling and designing passes to TEs and RBs on seemingly every play? I hope he can straighten this out. I'm almost to the point where I wish the coaching staff would tell him to knock it or you're benched and then follow through if he doesn't.

I also don't buy the "he doesn't have time to throw" excuse either. If he's got time to drop back, look long and not throw there, and then find Fine or Fred short and throw it to them, he's got enough time. No QB in this league has time to drop back, eat a banana, and then go through a long list of progressions and make an informed decision on who to pass it to and then throw a strike.

Great article. Can we please have a moratorium on people saying that Edwards is an accurate passer just because he has a high completion percentage? Every QB will have a high completion percentage if 77% of their passes are under 10 yards.

It's the 11-20 yard row that is the most damning. Long bombs are always going to be fairly low percentage plays (albeit with a huge upside if you connect), so you don't want to throw a ton of those (which Al Davis still hasn't figured out). But those 11-20 yard passes should be the bread & butter of the passing game.

I refuse to believe that the coaching staff wants our crappy TEs getting vastly more targets than our really good WRs. Until proven otherwise, I'm putting that on Captain Checkdown.

He may not be 100% to blame, but he's at least 90% to blame. Anyone who has been to a Bills game in the last 3 years and watches the WRs can tell you they're open often but not thrown to. It's hard to tell on TV. But, ow many games have you watched where the announcer says he's got guys open but not throwing to them? I've seen a bunch. In Trent's 3rd year as starter with his third OC I have confidently come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what you do, Trent's going to the TE and RBs 75% of the time or more. Were Fairchild, Turk and now Alex all calling and designing passes to TEs and RBs on seemingly every play? I hope he can straighten this out. I'm almost to the point where I wish the coaching staff would tell him to knock it or you're benched and then follow through if he doesn't.

I also don't buy the "he doesn't have time to throw" excuse either. If he's got time to drop back, look long and not throw there, and then find Fine or Fred short and throw it to them, he's got enough time. No QB in this league has time to drop back, eat a banana, and then go through a long list of progressions and make an informed decision on who to pass it to and then throw a strike.

I know what you are saying. I will be there on Sunday to see it live. He has time to throw it. i am surprised no one has attacked his mental clock before. Every great QB has one. Marino was uncanny at releasing the ball right before contact, not to mention he had a cannon.

But he has no confidence, once a Qbs confidence goes hes done. Forget it. You can give him Rice, Largaent, Monk, Reed you name it and it won't matter.

Between Trentative's love for throwing checkdowns and Miami's pass rush (assuming Porter will play), I wonder if it would be beneficial to go max-protect? Keep all backs and tight ends in to pass block, and only send WRs into pass patterns. Would Trent just start throwing the ball away, or would he be forced to try a deep out or crossing route once in a while?

Very telling article. Is it the offense or the quarterback? Me thinks the quarterback as this has been going on for 3 years.

hes gotta step up his game and personally i feel he has had enough time to make the throws downfield but he just doesnt. The FO went out and drafted 2 interior lineman to help with the 3-4 allingmnent and got a playmaker at WR in TO. Now its trents turn

didn't see this posted. Sorry if it was. This makes me ill

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post?id=4056

Read Peter King's article. The Saints played 6 DB on 25 plays. AVP didn't adjust. Trent should have hit the long one to TO and he has noone to blame but himself for that. But a big part of the blame seems to need to go to AVP for not calling more screens, draws, and simple runs against the smaller DB's.

Agree with the other post above though. The short passes Trent does throw are curls with little chance for YAC. As has been brought up before need more slant/seam routes. Nelson might give you that where (insert name of any slow white TE on the team here) will not.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...tml?eref=sihpT1

His deep passes don't look that great, either. They kind of flutter and are off the mark.

I have given Trentative the outstanding nickname of Dinky which I am sure will catch on any time.

Tim ,I expect you to use this moniker in all future columns.

His deep passes don't look that great, either. They kind of flutter and are off the mark.

I tend to disagree on this. His long passes are fine when he throws them. He completed 2 against TB. Maybe they weren't perfect, but they certainly got the job done. There are no style points in football. The one to TO he dropped traveled 50 yards in the air and was dead on the money. What else do you want?

Trent has the physical tools to be good. It's a mental thing. As Yogi Berra said "80% of the game is half mental".

I have given Trentative the outstanding nickname of Dinky which I am sure will catch on any time.

i like that you trademarked the name! :D

I want to laugh at this as it is funny but then what does that say about the Bills QB situation :D:wallbash:

I love this is getting national attention. Why are posters ripping TG as Sully-Esque? This is a great read. And I would much rather have the media paying attention to this kind of thing rather than TO's attitude.

I was always looking for the stats to see if Edwards throws down field as little as all Bills fans think he does. His Yards per pass are not terrible, so it was tough to figure out.

Good read.

If folks can't put the new rookie O-line and new OC one week before the season started into the proper perspective, not to mention our lack of GM and having an idiot for a HC who let all this happened, by all means lets blame the QB for his lack of protection or the time needed to allow longer pass patterns to develop.

Get some brains people, it all starts upfront with the O-line.

Lets see...all you have done is say how AMAZING AVP is and how he was the answer, now you are using AVP as an excuse?

So, if its the OC and the O Line, then whats you excuse for this exact same showing from Trent last season before the OC changed and the O Line was redone and we had a 2 time pro bowl LT?

I mean how many flip flop excuses are you going to come up with to some how prop up Trent?

I tend to disagree on this. His long passes are fine when he throws them. He completed 2 against TB. Maybe they weren't perfect, but they certainly got the job done. There are no style points in football. The one to TO he dropped traveled 50 yards in the air and was dead on the money. What else do you want?

Trent has the physical tools to be good. It's a mental thing. As Yogi Berra said "80% of the game is half mental".

He's 2 for 8...how is he good again at the deep ball? Even if TO catches that one he drops, he is still only 3 of 8 (which is not what I call accurate) and he wasnt accurate on the deep ball last year either or during preseason. So I would love if someone could please show me how Trent is accurate on the deep ball when they often flutter and have too much air on them...

He's 2 for 8...how is he good again at the deep ball? Even if TO catches that one he drops, he is still only 3 of 8 (which is not what I call accurate) and he wasnt accurate on the deep ball last year either or during preseason. So I would love if someone could please show me how Trent is accurate on the deep ball when they often flutter and have too much air on them...

deep passes generally aren't completed at a high percentage.

deep passes generally aren't completed at a high percentage.

Sure, 40+ yards, but in this case we are referring to 20+ yards and thats not a good completion % for 20+ yards, not to mention, he wasnt good at it last year or in preseason either.

Given Trent earning his nickname so far this season, plus his 185-game catch streak being broken, it's amazing TO didn't go postal and throw Trent under the bus after the Saints game. Yet he still caught hell for "having an attitude" after a tough and frustrating loss. :wallbash:

Yeah, really! He's like a hero or something--showing so much restraint.

If you think he was crestfallen after last week's loss---you should see how upset he was after his team lost the Super Bowl.

Guest dog14787
Lets see...all you have done is say how AMAZING AVP is and how he was the answer, now you are using AVP as an excuse?

So, if its the OC and the O Line, then whats you excuse for this exact same showing from Trent last season before the OC changed and the O Line was redone and we had a 2 time pro bowl LT?

I mean how many flip flop excuses are you going to come up with to some how prop up your boy crush on Trent?

Can you form your own opinion without involving mine because having a debate is one thing, but your inability to post without a personal attack is getting old. :wallbash:

I like it.

Whoever his friend is, great text!

There should be gratuities to a few board members here, but that's the kind of reporting I like to read. Facts, with a bit of spice. Revealed something new while presenting a challenge to our offense.

IMO, a tad short ended though.. I thought there was a paraghraph missing as it seemed he was leading up to a zinger finish line.

:wallbash:<_<

His long pass to TO wasn't fluttering--TO just couldn't get under it. Evans would have caught up to that one no problem.

I love this is getting national attention. Why are posters ripping TG as Sully-Esque? This is a great read. And I would much rather have the media paying attention to this kind of thing rather than TO's attitude.

I was always looking for the stats to see if Edwards throws down field as little as all Bills fans think he does. His Yards per pass are not terrible, so it was tough to figure out.

Good read.

Because he wrote something they didn't like.

Can you form your own opinion without involving mine because having a debate is one thing, but your inability to post without a personal attack is getting old. :wallbash:

lol, you are the one that calls me names, where as I call you out on the flip flop gibberish you spill on here all the tiime like when you claimed Trent to be better than Jim Kelly in just about every key attribute for a QB.

Second, I just simply asked you how many flip flop excuses are you going to come up with because you will try and discredit points people make saying one thing in one thread (often mocking the posters) then you will flip flop in other threads saying the exact opposite (again mocking those posters)...thats not a personal attack, thats just calling you on your flip flop debate...

In other words, no matter what the topic is, you will call everyone crazy, use emoticons, and say what ever necessary (no matter how outlandinsh) in your post, even when its completely contradictory to what you claim in other threads.

So, if you are going to continue to contradict yourself constantly, expect to be called on it, especially when you are mocking posters in your flip flops.

I also don't buy the "he doesn't have time to throw" excuse either. If he's got time to drop back, look long and not throw there, and then find Fine or Fred short and throw it to them, he's got enough time.

UH OH!!! Don't go drawing logical conclusions like that!!! It's all the offensive line's fault of course. If you don't think they shoulder a vast majority of the blame you must be a JP supporter. ROFLOL!!!

I was going to sit this one out but that is a GREAT point you make. I'm upset I didn't think of it myself.

Great article. Can we please have a moratorium on people saying that Edwards is an accurate passer just because he has a high completion percentage? Every QB will have a high completion percentage if 77% of their passes are under 10 yards.

It's the 11-20 yard row that is the most damning. Long bombs are always going to be fairly low percentage plays (albeit with a huge upside if you connect), so you don't want to throw a ton of those (which Al Davis still hasn't figured out). But those 11-20 yard passes should be the bread & butter of the passing game.

I refuse to believe that the coaching staff wants our crappy TEs getting vastly more targets than our really good WRs. Until proven otherwise, I'm putting that on Captain Checkdown.

Silly silly man. Don't you realize that Dick Jauron brought in TO and resigned Lee Evans just so that he could have his coordinator call plays to NOT utilize them and he has also instructed Trent to check down!?!?!?!?! WHEN WILL PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS NEVER TRENT'S FAULT!!?!!?!?!?!

He is not good enough yet to dink and dunk. He just dinks.