Levitre AND Wood AND Bell

jimmy griffin

These three played GREAT.

Bell had some mental mistakes, but all in all, he was solid. He needs some experience, but the tools are there. He also needs to work on pass rush moves to the inside. he got burned a few times on those. He can handle the outside rush just fine. His run blocking was super. He has good drive and was out in front a ton. He can run like a deer.

Levitre was SUPER. He literally picked up Wolfork a few times and moved him. He was absolutely GREAT. He protects well and on running plays was down field going after guys. He seals blocks off and uses great leverage. He is fast. In space -- he looked like an all pro IMO. He is going to be a dominate lineman.

Wood (see Levitre). Plays like a 4 yr vet. Mean and stays on his blocks. Technique and balance and power are all there. He handled Javis Green with ease.

They all played relatively well, a few mental errors by Bell, or sh------- calls by the refs. but they pulled good. And worked the screens well. However bell did get eaten up on the last drive, but he is young. And i believe he has a good upside. As does the rest of the young guys.

I was especially impressed by Bell; he was awesome on run-blocking and on those sweeps, and held his own pass protecting.

I think the one thing the team will learn from this is that in the 2-minute drill, they need to leave a back in to perhaps give Bell some help. The sacks on the last drive last night were costly. But overall, great game by a young player.

These three played GREAT.

Bell had some mental mistakes, but all in all, he was solid. He needs some experience, but the tools are there. He also needs to work on pass rush moves to the inside. he got burned a few times on those. He can handle the outside rush just fine. His run blocking was super. He has good drive and was out in front a ton. He can run like a deer.

Levitre was SUPER. He literally picked up Wolfork a few times and moved him. He was absolutely GREAT. He protects well and on running plays was down field going after guys. He seals blocks off and uses great leverage. He is fast. In space -- he looked like an all pro IMO. He is going to be a dominate lineman.

Wood (see Levitre). Plays like a 4 yr vet. Mean and stays on his blocks. Technique and balance and power are all there. He handled Javis Green with ease.

I watchED the whole game, and truthfully I never even heard Wood and Levitre's name mentioned that much. SO that is a good thing, it means they were doing there job. However, Bell and his formations problems really hurt us. I beleive the Bell was also BULL RUSH by Banta-Cain and beaten for a sack. Overall, was VERY happy WITH THE O-LINE but I think the PATS D IS SUSPECT AND WILL BE A WEAKNESS.

GO BILLS

I watchED the whole game, and truthfully I never even heard Wood and Levitre's name mentioned that much. SO that is a good thing, it means they were doing there job. However, Bell and his formations problems really hurt us. I beleive the Bell was also BULL RUSH by Banta-Cain and beaten for a sack. Overall, was VERY happy WITH THE O-LINE but I think the PATS D IS SUSPECT AND WILL BE A WEAKNESS.

No, it was also an inside move. Bell needs to work on that, as well as lining up on the LOS.

I agree, they played great. I still can't get over those ridiculous procedure penalties they called on Bell on CRUCIAL 3rd down plays. Those referees should be fired for that BS. That can be called on any play in any game. Terrible officiating.

They played really well. They got a little out of it on the last drive, and they had a few costly penalties. But those can be fixed. they have the goods to deliver.

It ALL starts and ends on the lines, and for the first time in years I'm looking at this Bills O-line in a positive light! Now we need some pass rushers!!!

I was really impressed by Levitre. I think he played a helluva game. They all danced around looking for someone to block on a couple plays but overall, the young guys did remarkable. There were actual holes on the inside and the outside. There weren't a lot of stuffs right at the LOS. They actually executed screen passes decently. I did not at all expect these guys to play that well, as I'm sure no one did, but we will have to wait and see where it goes from here.

I agree, they played great. I still can't get over those ridiculous procedure penalties they called on Bell on CRUCIAL 3rd down plays. Those referees should be fired for that BS. That can be called on any play in any game. Terrible officiating.

I saw the refs calling those a bunch this weekend. Must be some new point of emphasis. Gotta not make those mistakes again though.

Seeing Levitre, Wood, and Hangartner making blocks way down the field was such a refreshing sight. We can finally run an offense that uses basic NFL plays!

I like how all three stayed on their blocks. Jackson was able to get to the second level a few times. One time, there was a penalty by Bell - on a BIG RUN GAIN. I also like how Levitre gets nasty and goes after guys with some moxie.

Wolfork is a load. And Levitre wore him down. In the senior bowl -- Levitre played left guard and was dominant. He is fast for a big fella -- he looks exactly like a denver bronco lineman 10 years ago. carbon copy...

I said it all off season and again after Walker was cut...this is a much more talented O Line than last years and they will be better than last years unit by mid season.

Our guys are strong and athletic and loved watching Wood, Hangartner and Levitre out there running down the field taking people out. Even the announcers were talking about how well they played. Bell had a game to be expected from a first time player...he made some mental mistakes, gotten beaten a couple times, but overall his play was pretty strong and Trent often had a lot of time to throw.

GO BILLS

The Pats* DB's are suspect but NOT the D Line!

They played really well. They got a little out of it on the last drive, and they had a few costly penalties. But those can be fixed. they have the goods to deliver.

They got out of it because the Pats* threw rush wrinkles at them they weren't prepared for. It's what they do.

a screen pass with blockers out in front. What a concept!!

The difference was those screens were by design...last year Trent was dumping off to RB's all the time because he didnt know where to go with the ball on a check down, so the RB had no blokcers as it wasnt a screen.

Last night people were asking how I could be so optomistic AFTER a loss like that to the patriots.....

There is your reason why.....Bell, Wood, Levitre (and Hangarter)

These guys are not together yet because they haven't played much together........I am actually going to be excited to watch them gel and see things magically start happening like running lanes opening up and deep throws happening because there is time for them to.

Last night people were asking how I could be so optomistic AFTER a loss like that to the patriots.....

There is your reason why.....Bell, Wood, Levitre (and Hangarter)

These guys are not together yet because they haven't played much together........I am actually going to be excited to watch them gel and see things magically start happening like running lanes opening up and deep throws happening because there is time for them to.

Don't forget Butler, I don't remember ever seeing pass rush from his side. I'm very encouraged with how the Offensive line looked this game. Definitely reason for optimism

Most left tackles cheat in their 2 pt. stance. They must keep their right foot within a yard of the ball and can flex their left side further back. I'd be curious just how far off he actually was.

He was very quick to setup for the outside move. Just a head fake and he was there, thus leaving himself off balance and unable to counter the inside move so he had to grab the guy rather than turn him loose. He might just have to slow his movement down a bit to match his opponent. He doesn't have to beat his man to the spot, just arrive there with his man and neutralize his momentum, maintain balance and lock him up.

I just liked how these guys finally showed some attitude. Even Bell was out there mixing it up with guys after the play. That's what I like to see, a little nastiness out of this group. And hell yeah, they can run.

Most left tackles cheat in their 2 pt. stance. They must keep their right foot within a yard of the ball and can flex their left side further back. I'd be curious just how far off he actually was.

It would be nice if more linemen and less QBs and WRs worked in studios. If they did they could show diagrams showing how far different lines are spread out, difference in distances and whether zebras call penalties the same, etc. Jaws occasionally mentions line work but only generally.

Bell reminds me of a young Jason Peters.. this guy is gonna be molded into our next pro bowl lineman, the a nasty holdout will ensue.

I'm glad we got rid of that blog Langston Walker. He was a bum, and complained about being moved to LT.. not exactly a model employee.

When was the last time we saw our O-line making significant blocks on the second level let

alone on the third level?

These guys we're making successful blocks down the field...look at Freddy's

TD...Hangartner makes a key block on the outside at the second level and Levitre and Evans

are at the goal line blocking (10 yards from the line of scrimmage) to get Fred in the endzone.

So much for big, slow, soft lineman...bring on the young, smart, athletic guys who can pull and

finish blocks. Things are looking up (despite the heartbreaking loss)...as soon as these guys have

more experience, more knowledge of eachother, and cut down on the rookie mistakes...they could

be scarey good.

And even though we lost, loved watching us kill the Pats early and often with the screen...I've seen way too

many games where it was the reverse.

The difference was those screens were by design...last year Trent was dumping off to RB's all the time because he didnt know where to go with the ball on a check down, so the RB had no blokcers as it wasnt a screen.

Alphadawg you like to pretend you know so much, but you clearly don't have any idea what a screen is. You preach about people's Madden knowledge and it is more than obvious that you suffer from this because you think that a short dump off to a RB is a screen. Let me explain it for you: a screen is where you *deliberately* do not block certain members of the defensive front, and it is designed to exploit blitzing. WR screens exploit corner blitzes, and RB screens exploit LB blitzes. Teams typically only Blitz when their defensive line is not producing pressure by itself (this is why blitzing from 3-4 packages is so much more common), thus it requires consistent and productive passing offense to set up a screen effectively. You have no knowledge of the game, and thus you get flamed every time you sit here and post judiciously as if you are some guru. You are an embarrassment to the Bills and this forum. Please stop posting forever.

Alphadawg you like to pretend you know so much, but you clearly don't have any idea what a screen is. You preach about people's Madden knowledge and it is more than obvious that you suffer from this because you think that a short dump off to a RB is a screen. Let me explain it for you: a screen is where you *deliberately* do not block certain members of the defensive front, and it is designed to exploit blitzing. WR screens exploit corner blitzes, and RB screens exploit LB blitzes. Teams only Blitz when their defensive line is not producing pressure by itself (this is why blitzing from 3-4 packages is so much more common), thus it requires consistent and productive passing offense to set up a screen effectively. You have no knowledge of the game, and thus you get flamed every time you sit here and post judiciously as if you are some guru. You are an embarrassment to the Bills and this forum. Please stop posting forever.

You are an idiot, seriously I am not even sure you can read at this point. You continue to make an ass of yourself on every thread you are on and havent stopped getting blasted by all kinds of posters since...

I know exactly what a screen is and if you were capable of reading you would see that I what I said a screen was is exactly what you trying to "teach" me.

So since you are about as dumb as my neighbors dog that just came running in from the beach and straight into her glass sliding door, I will attempt to dumb this down and simplify it for you Corky...

The reason they worked this monday was because they were by DESIGN...aka, a REAL screen. Last year we were not running screens a lot of the times when Trent was checking down to the RB, therefore the RB did not have any blockers and therefore they were not nearly as effective last year as they were this past Monday night.

So my original post was that we had success this Monday with them was because for they were by design instead of a late check down to a RB like occured so much LAST season.

Everytime I think you cant get anymore dumber you prove me wrong.

When was the last time we saw our O-line making significant blocks on the second level let

alone on the third level?

These guys we're making successful blocks down the field...look at Freddy's

TD...Hangartner makes a key block on the outside at the second level and Levitre and Evans

are at the goal line blocking (10 yards from the line of scrimmage) to get Fred in the endzone.

So much for big, slow, soft lineman...bring on the young, smart, athletic guys who can pull and

finish blocks. Things are looking up (despite the heartbreaking loss)...as soon as these guys have

more experience, more knowledge of eachother, and cut down on the rookie mistakes...they could

be scarey good.

And even though we lost, loved watching us kill the Pats early and often with the screen...I've seen way too

many games where it was the reverse.

It was very exciting seeing our athletic gaurds running down the field. I said it months ago, I said it when Walker was cut, and I will say it again...this O Line is the most talented we have had in a while, raw but talented, and by mid season I expect them to be better than last years unit.

Alphadawg you like to pretend you know so much, but you clearly don't have any idea what a screen is. You preach about people's Madden knowledge and it is more than obvious that you suffer from this because you think that a short dump off to a RB is a screen. Let me explain it for you: a screen is where you *deliberately* do not block certain members of the defensive front, and it is designed to exploit blitzing. WR screens exploit corner blitzes, and RB screens exploit LB blitzes. Teams typically only Blitz when their defensive line is not producing pressure by itself (this is why blitzing from 3-4 packages is so much more common), thus it requires consistent and productive passing offense to set up a screen effectively. You have no knowledge of the game, and thus you get flamed every time you sit here and post judiciously as if you are some guru. You are an embarrassment to the Bills and this forum. Please stop posting forever.

Surprised about your attitude South Georgia. Seems like you had a rough day. Please keep your posts a bit more civil will you. Thanks.

Go Bills!!!

You clearly mis-read what the guy said. He is exactly correct about what he actually said.

the O-line made some mistakes, but i didn't see anything that cannot be corrected by watching tape and giving the line some more time to work together and settle in for the long haul.

glad to see Levitre corrected his preseason mechanics and wasn't getting bowled over or pushed back that easily. Wood is going to be an All-Pro very soon, he is a beast! Bell will turn into our next Peters, no doubts there - he has the skills and tools to get there, just some more games under his belt and we'll be fine. Butler was good in his anonymity - once again, can only get better. Hangartner is a big upgrade on Preston, Fowler and most of the other clowns we have had at the position.

i LOVED the streak of nastiness that has been brought in, hopefully that mentality will get through to the whole team and help us finish off games.

as much as this was a cruel way to lose, there is much more to be positive about than be pessimistic about.

He was very quick to setup for the outside move. Just a head fake and he was there, thus leaving himself off balance and unable to counter the inside move so he had to grab the guy rather than turn him loose. He might just have to slow his movement down a bit to match his opponent. He doesn't have to beat his man to the spot, just arrive there with his man and neutralize his momentum, maintain balance and lock him up.

Actually, I checked the rulebook on this, and they're only allowed to be a FOOT behind the line:

Section 18 Line of Scrimmage

Article 1 The Line of Scrimmage is the yard line (plane) passing through the forward point of the ball after it has been made ready for play. The term scrimmage line, or line, implies a play from scrimmage.

Article 2 A Player of Team A is on his line:
(a) when his shoulders face Team B’s goal line, and

(b) if he is the snapper, no part of his body is beyond the line at the snap,

©
if he is a non-snapper, he is not more than one foot behind the neutral zone at the

snap.
(For a non-snapper to be on the line of scrimmage, the guideline officials will

use is that his helmet must break a vertical plane that would pass through the beltline

of the snapper.)

Note: Interlocking legs are permissible.

A.R. 3.8 Offensive A1 assumes a three-point stance with his shoulders facing defensive B’s goal

line. One hand is on the ground and it is on or not more than one foot behind his line.

Neither of his feet nor the other hand is within one foot of his line.

Ruling: A1 is legally on his line.

I have to admit I can't ever remember seeing it called more than once in the same game, though, and someone made the point earlier that the officials ignore it most of the time. Makes me wonder if one Mr. Belichick pointed it out to the line judge, making it a point of emphasis.

Actually, I checked the rulebook on this, and they're only allowed to be a FOOT behind the line:

I have to admit I can't ever remember seeing it called more than once in the same game, though, and someone made the point earlier that the officials ignore it most of the time. Makes me wonder if one Mr. Belichick pointed it out to the line judge, making it a point of emphasis.

If only Jauron had pointed out all the holding the Patriots' O-line did, and made that a "point of emphasis." Yeah, okay. :wallbash:

If only Jauron had pointed out all the holding the Patriots' O-line did, and made that a "point of emphasis." Yeah, okay. :wallbash:

He probably would've gotten an unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty for daring to question the mighty Patriot dynasty.

Kidding aside, it wouldn't surprise me a bit to find out that BB said something to the LJ, just like baseball managers "working" the ump or college basketball coaches taking a deliberate T to get the next few calls in their favor.

Added to the excellent play of the OL was great downfield blocking by OWENS. Any screen or 2nd level run depends on good blocking downfield. TO was a monster with that. And Nelson was good too.

All in all -- they finally seem to know what they are doing upfront. I credit VAN PELT and better talent.

They are ONE playmakere away on defense from benig a contender (need an impact LB).

Added to the excellent play of the OL was great downfield blocking by OWENS. Any screen or 2nd level run depends on good blocking downfield. TO was a monster with that. And Nelson was good too.

All in all -- they finally seem to know what they are doing upfront. I credit VAN PELT and better talent.

They are ONE playmakere away on defense from benig a contender (need an impact LB).

I noticed T.O. blocking a few times very effectively, very nice!!

I just hope he can be satisfied not getting his huge numbers and helping THE TEAM.

I know he only had 2 catches, but man did he OPEN UP THE FIELD or what? Just his prescence alone made a huge difference! :wallbash: