You gotta love the flutie magic

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

benching a guy with this much heart is why the football gods have been angry with the bills.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlig...QBs-Doug-Flutie

p.s sorry if the link has been posted, i couldn't see it on the wall.

I agree 100%. Flutie was a damn good QB. Too bad every team he played for was always looking for somebody with better "measurables". RJ should have never been signed,we already had a QB.

my second favorite QB of all time. benching a guy with this much heart is why the football gods have been angry with the bills.

I've never been impressed with trolls running around on a football field. Flutie never made it big in the NFL because he wasn't good enough. The guy has a cult following that I'll never understand.

Yeah, you gotta love the way he magically divided the locker room and got the greatest receiver in Bills history benched because he didn't have the arm strength to hit him on a simple out pattern. His greatest magic trick of all is when he finally disappeared. F^ck him.

my second favorite QB of all time. benching a guy with this much heart is why the football gods have been angry with the bills.

Flutie could have been and should've been one of the best, had he been allowed to play in the league. His biggest disadvantage was also his biggest advantage. At 5'8"ish, most defenders were unable to properly see him behind the line. Thus, he never telegraphed plays giving that split second advantage to both the running backs and the receivers. In a game of inches every little advantage counts. Its a shame that he was banished to the CFL because all the guy ever did was win. Forget other stats - he just won.

Yeah, you gotta love the way he magically divided the locker room and got the greatest receiver in Bills history benched because he didn't have the arm strength to hit him on a simple out pattern. His greatest magic trick of all is when he finally disappeared. F^ck him.

So you didn't like him? My sarcasm detector is a little off this morning after a long night of Cream Ale.

Flutie could have been and should've been one of the best, had he been allowed to play in the league. His biggest disadvantage was also his biggest advantage. At 5'8"ish, most defenders were unable to properly see him behind the line. Thus, he never telegraphed plays giving that split second advantage to both the running backs and the receivers. In a game of inches every little advantage counts. Its a shame that he was banished to the CFL because all the guy ever did was win. Forget other stats - he just won.

He was allowed to play in the league....he flopped in New England and Chicago. He wasn't banished to the CFL, it was where his skill level deemed he should play.

Defenders couldn't see him behind the line, correct. He couldn't see WR's down the field, correct. Ask Andre Reed what he thought of Flutie's vision.

I've never been impressed with trolls running around on a football field. Flutie never made it big in the NFL because he wasn't good enough. The guy has a cult following that I'll never understand.

:rolleyes:

Generally it is from people who look up to him.

Midgets?

Exactly! <_<

Except that the offense had to open passing lanes for him to be able to get the ball to his receivers. I think the way the way the offensive line was moving on passing plays was a pretty good telegraphing signal. He also had to rainbow his passes.

He was allowed to play in the league....he flopped in New England and Chicago. He wasn't banished to the CFL, it was where his skill level deemed he should play.

Defenders couldn't see him behind the line, correct. He couldn't see WR's down the field, correct. Ask Andre Reed what he thought of Flutie's vision.

Don't you understand all of the coaches he played for in the NFL didn't care about winning. :rolleyes:

Everyone remembers the games he won. Nobody remembers the games he lost...and he lost just as many...including a playoff game in 1999 in Miami that everyone conveniently overlooks. Once defenders stopped biting on his "jump-fake" move, his effectiveness went way down.

PTR

Flutie simply wasn't very good. That's why he ended up in the CFL. There's no grand conspiracy to keep the dwarf down like lots would have you believe. Flutie was effective the first time a team saw him, but once you had the game tape on him, he was toast. Not to mention he was garbage as a starter in 1999 and our D was the sole reason we got to the playoffs.

Also, how did flutie "just win" in SD when he went 5-11 in his final season?

So Fat Stupid Lazy Load Jason Peters undeservedly gets 'named' to the Pro Bowl - based soley on name recognition, and despite leading the league in sacks-allowed - and folks claim he's God-like, while Flutie wins Comeback Player of the Year Award and Pro Bowl honors but folks say he just wasn't very good.

Love the consistency. :rolleyes:

All by himself?

Amen ... if nothing else he was entertaining

his second season here was his best season in the nfl.

http://www.nfl.com/players/dougflutie/profile?id=FLU553722

That would depend on what you are looking at.

I'll take his first season in Buffalo over his second all the time every time.

While he didn't have the yardage (he didn't play in every game either), his other numbers were better.

Better accuracy, more TDs, less turnovers, better pass average, etc ...

his second season here was his best season in the nfl.

http://www.nfl.com/players/dougflutie/profile?id=FLU553722

How could you look at those stats & say his 2nd season in Buffalo was better then his first? You realize he only started 10 games in his first year & 15 in his 2nd year right?

As far as Flutie goes, I never understood the hatred by Bills fans for the guy, the same Bills fans that will go to their grave supporting guys like Rob Johnson & JP Losman. He really was the last winning QB the bills ever had. You could say he had a great team around him but keep this in mind. The three years he was here I believe he had a 23-12 record with the bills. Rob Johnson with that same team had I believe a 6-8 record with the bills. I am not going to lie to you, back in the day I was an RJ guy, but over the years I have seen the errors of my ways & it is one of the reasons I was so quick to turn on Losman. i seen his act before & knew he was never going to get it. Plus, Flutie had his hand in saving the franchise when he gave the team that spark after getting of to an 0-3 start by spurring interest(particularly Canadian interest) in buying the club seats.

I am not saying that the Flute was a hall of famer, but there have been alot worse qbs that have come thru here since kelly retired & it seems like there is still alot of hatred among fans for the only winning qb we had here since Kelly retired.

Say what you will about him, but that bootleg to beat Jacksonville on the final play is one of my favorite post-SB Bills moments.

Mine too. I took my dad to that game because one of the guys could not make it. My dad was a big Flutie fan & all game my dad kept saying the Flute was going to do something to win the game. I remember when he score the stadium was going wild & the scoreboard was playing the song "do you believe in majic". I remember walking out of that game to our car thinking how the hell did we win that game. The funny, I never got this confirmed but if you watch the replay I do not think he told anybody in the huddle he was going to run a bootleg. I think the play call was to go to Thomas up the middle. I think Flute wanted noone to know so the play would look like it was going up the middle. One of my best memories of being at the stadium.

How could you look at those stats & say his 2nd season in Buffalo was better then his first? You realize he only started 10 games in his first year & 15 in his 2nd year right?

As far as Flutie goes, I never understood the hatred by Bills fans for the guy, the same Bills fans that will go to their grave supporting guys like Rob Johnson & JP Losman. He really was the last winning QB the bills ever had. You could say he had a great team around him but keep this in mind. The three years he was here I believe he had a 23-12 record with the bills. Rob Johnson with that same team had I believe a 6-8 record with the bills. I am not going to lie to you, back in the day I was an RJ guy, but over the years I have seen the errors of my ways & it is one of the reasons I was so quick to turn on Losman. i seen his act before & knew he was never going to get it. Plus, Flutie had his hand in saving the franchise when he gave the team that spark after getting of to an 0-3 start by spurring interest(particularly Canadian interest) in buying the club seats.

I am not saying that the Flute was a hall of famer, but there have been alot worse qbs that have come thru here since kelly retired & it seems like there is still alot of hatred among fans for the only winning qb we had here since Kelly retired.

There's hatred among fans because he was a self serving prick. He reaped the accolades when we won and pointed the finger at others when we lost. He was a media whore who pouted like a little baby when he got benched and started a coup in the locker room in an effort to get his job back. Thruout his career Doug Flutie cared about one thing and that is himself. He was a shameless self promoter. F^ck him in his a$$.

Mine too. I took my dad to that game because one of the guys could not make it. My dad was a big Flutie fan & all game my dad kept saying the Flute was going to do something to win the game. I remember when he score the stadium was going wild & the scoreboard was playing the song "do you believe in majic". I remember walking out of that game to our car thinking how the hell did we win that game. The funny, I never got this confirmed but if you watch the replay I do not think he told anybody in the huddle he was going to run a bootleg. I think the play call was to go to Thomas up the middle. I think Flute wanted noone to know so the play would look like it was going up the middle. One of my best memories of being at the stadium.

He blew the play....

there was no grand design or Flutie magic involved. He screwed up and ran for his life.

very true my mistake.

Say what you will about him, but that bootleg to beat Jacksonville on the final play is one of my favorite post-SB Bills moments.

It was also Flutie being typical Flutie. The play was suposed to be something else. Flutie kept the ball for himself and took all the praise in the world. Until the team would lose games, then it was everyone else's fault. Especially the defenses, he loved blaming the defense.

I agree 100%. Flutie was a damn good QB. Too bad every team he played for was always looking for somebody with better "measurables". RJ should have never been signed,we already had a QB.

They were both signed in 98'. Im pretty sure Johnson was picked up first. But cant prove it. Can someone confirm the exact dates when they each signed? Or who was first at least?

Thanks

There's hatred among fans because he was a self serving prick. He reaped the accolades when we won and pointed the finger at others when we lost. He was a media whore who pouted like a little baby when he got benched and started a coup in the locker room in an effort to get his job back. Thruout his career Doug Flutie cared about one thing and that is himself. He was a shameless self promoter. F^ck him in his a$$.

if thats your thing

it's the nfl. shameless promotion is the norm. we're loving TO at the moment but when he moves on buffalopride will want to F^ck him.. :rolleyes: sorry just kidding buffalopride

He blew the play....

there was no grand design or Flutie magic involved. He screwed up and ran for his life.

better than taking a sack.

They were both signed in 98'. Im pretty sure Johnson was picked up first. But cant prove it. Can someone confirm the exact dates when they each signed? Or who was first at least?

Thanks

I looked it up because I had the same thought. We sign Flutie in January, and traded for Johnson in February.

I looked it up because I had the same thought. We sign Flutie in January, and traded for Johnson in February.

Ah yes, I remember the press conference where Wade announced the start of the "Wade Phillips/Rob Johnson era". Yeah, that went down well!

I think "hatred" is too strong a word. I don't think anyone hates Flutie the man, just the cult of Flutie. He was a good player. Exciting to watch. He won some games. He probably saved the franchise when the Bills needed to sell luxury suites and he got people excited about the team again. (Probably his biggest contribution to Buffalo.)

Was he "the answer" at QB? Not even close. His lack of size caught up with him when defenses got the book on him. He was great when he was new, but as soon as defenders figured him out he was ineffective. He was who he was. He had a nice career overall. But those who elevate him to some god-like stauts need to get a grip.

PTR

Ah yes, I remember the press conference where Wade announced the start of the "Wade Phillips/Rob Johnson era". Yeah, that went down well!

Yes - they signed Flutie from the CFL for, I believe, the vet minimum of about $250K, promising him he'd have a fair chance to compete for the starting QB position, then promptly traded a #1 pick for Johnson, gave him a $10M deal, and named him the starter before training camp even began, IIRC.

No reason for Flutie to be upset. :rolleyes:

Are you kidding me? Flutie is the number 1 reason why our team still resides in Buffalo! The stadium lease was up at the time, and it looked like it wasn't going to be renewed. Fortunately for all of us, Flutie, Moulds and Price were providing some of the most exciting games in franchise history and led to such overwhelming support, the deal got done! Unfortunately for us, that "one game wonder" RJ, had a brilliant (albeit meaningless) game against the colts which led Ralph to order him the starter against the Titans. Coincidentally (or not) we haven't had a playoff game since! :rolleyes:<_<

That maybe true, I am not disputing that, but sadly enough he was the last winning qb we ever had. I guess people would rather root for a guy that goes 11-25 in his career but picks up trash around the fruit belt.

Thank you. I wasnt sure which was first.

Id also like to point out to all the other fans that say the Bills never make big moves to make themselves better. Even though RJ wasnt exactly the talk of the league, he was expected to be up and coming and the Bills took a chance on him.

He also walked off the field as a winner in the Music City Miracle game. He was a trooper and led the team on a game winning drive while only wearing one sneaker IIRC. It was the special teams blunder that lost that game for us. So for anyone that says "if Flutie was on the field we would have won that game", should ask themselves how well Flutie would have tackled Kevin Dyson?