Is it unsportsmanlike to change who you root for?

The_Real

This is specifically about baseball but you can widen the conversation to any sport. A friend of mine grew up an Atlanta Braves fan for over 22 years. Two years ago, he took a job working in the suburbs of philly. Then, last summer told me he had become a Phillies fan.

S E R I O U S L Y?

Can you do that? I mean seriously, is that even allowed? That would be like going from being a Bills fan then moving to Boston and rooting the Patriots. I called shenanigans. I told him that was the weakest thing a fan could do, to bail on his team but worse to root for another team in the division. What made it worse for me is that they went on to win the World Series.

So, My fellow wallers, Is that not weak?

Thanks in advance.

This is specifically about baseball but you can widen the conversation to any sport. A friend of mine grew up an Atlanta Braves fan for over 22 years. Two years ago, he took a job working in the suburbs of philly. Then, last summer told me he had become a Phillies fan.

S E R I O U S L Y?

Can you do that? I mean seriously, is that even allowed? That would be like going from being a Bills fan then moving to Boston and rooting the Patriots. I called shenanigans. I told him that was the weakest thing a fan could do, to bail on his team but worse to root for another team in the division. What made it worse for me is that they went on to win the World Series.

Thanks in advance.

Only if the Bills move to Toronto. Then I will kneecap them.

The only circumstance where swapping teams is allowed is if your team folds or moves to another city. Of course the preferred response in that case would be to declare the entire sport dead to you.

Yes.

I believe that it's ok to change teams when you move-provided that you now attend some of your new team's home games and you have grown attached to that team as a result of attending the games. It's much easier to follow the home team & go to their games than the team from the place you moved from. Also, if you move & want to feel more a part of your new place, while leaving the old place in the past, it's ok to convert. It's always best to root for a team in a city that you currently live in or have lived there in the past. There's really no excuse for kids who grow up in Buffalo rooting for the Dallas Cowboys.

Now, there are many fans who live in areas with no major league teams. These people need to pick a team, for whatever reason they choose, and stick with it. I don't agree with bandwagon fans who live in an area with no teams & change to the top teams every few years. The annoying fans are the ones who were last year's Patriots fans and this year's Steelers fans.

But just because your city doesn't have a team, that doesn't give you the right to switch as you please, in my opinion.

True. I live on the south side of the ChicagoLand area... I would never dream of rooting for the Cubs over the White Sox... Now, since I was not born here... I can see MAYBE rooting for the Cubs if they were the only team left from Chicago in the playoffs.

That being said... That whole north-south side thing died in footbal around 1960 when the Cardinals moved to St. Louis... The Cards were always the South Side team and the Bears the North Side team... Wrigley is still the venue where the Bears have played the most games ever. That will change soon since they started playing at Soldier in and around 1970.

I was a "serious" Angels fan for two decades when I lived in soCal and have become a "casual" Giants fan since I moved to SF. Kind of hard to follow a team if you can't watch any of their games, I just like having a team to follow. The Angles come up here in a couple of weeks for inter-league play against the Giants and I'm not sure who to root for. ;)

Born and raised a Yankee fan here and I currently live in Philly. I've been to a couple of Phillies games here gleefully rocking my Yankees gear, but I still watch every Yankee game using MLB TV.

I think people who jump their team's ship and start rooting for another team don't deserve to be alive. THink about it. What type of friend would this person be? I don't trust them as far as I can throw them and they can all go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

I was a "serious" Angels fan for two decades when I lived in soCal and have become a "casual" Giants fan since I moved to SF. Kind of hard to follow a team if you can't watch any of their games, I just like having a team to follow. The Angles come up here in a couple of weeks for inter-league play against the Giants and I'm not sure who to root for. ;)

I don't know about that. I've been a Cubs fan since I was 6 years old and caught the WGN signal from Chicago and watched Ryne Sandberg become a Hall of Famer. I've never lived outside WNY or the Charlotte area, so I can't watch many Cubs games. But I do follow them religiously through the Internet with live game casts, box scores, highlights, blogs, etc. And I would never dream of rooting for anybody else. If Charlotte ever got an MLB franchise, I'd have nothing to do with them unless the Cubs came to town; and I've never been to a Carolina Panthers game (until this season, at least ;) )

Escape clause:

You can do anything you like... BFLO/WNY wasn't blessed with a MLB team!

:beer:

EDIT: ;) Did I say "blessed"... Surely they would have been "cursed!"

I don't know about that. I've been a Cubs fan since I was 6 years old and caught the WGN signal from Chicago and watched Ryne Sandberg become a Hall of Famer. I've never lived outside WNY or the Charlotte area, so I can't watch many Cubs games. But I do follow them religiously through the Internet with live game casts, box scores, highlights, blogs, etc. And I would never dream of rooting for anybody else. If Charlotte ever got an MLB franchise, I'd have nothing to do with them unless the Cubs came to town; and I've never been to a Carolina Panthers game (until this season, at least ;) )

See my post above^^^

I watched the Mets growing up in WNY because the games were on WOR.

As others have said, if he didn't really follow the Braves, then its Ok. But if he went around saying that he was a Braves fan while they won 14 straight division titles, then switched to the Phillies, he's a bandwagoner. He can't even use the excuse that he can't watch Braves games anymore because they're always on TBS here in Philly and everywhere else.

Conversely, I live in Philly and it's hard not to root for this team and get caught up in it. Being from WNY, I never really followed a team, but following the Phillies is almost as fun as following the Bills. I can safely say that I'll probably be a Phillies fan for life, regardless of if I move from here.

Oh I forgot to mention....I have a life. ;)

The only circumstance where swapping teams is allowed is if your team folds or moves to another city. Of course the preferred response in that case would be to declare the entire sport dead to you.

That worked very well for me and the NBA when the Braves left.

Thanks in advance.

Terribly weak. I don't want this f&^ktard rooting for my Phillies. I hold him responsible for all 6 saves that Brad Lidge has blown this year, as well putting both Lidge and Eyre on the DL. Hell, he probably cracked the Liberty Bell. Please shiv this mofo for me.

Thank you.

Terribly weak. I don't want this f&^ktard rooting for my Phillies. I hold him responsible for all 6 saves that Brad Lidge has blown this year, as well putting both Lidge and Eyre on the DL. Hell, he probably cracked the Liberty Bell. Please shiv this mofo for me.

Thank you.

Why? Where were you born? Please say Philly!

;)

Why? Where were you born? Please say Philly!

:beer:

Just channeling my inner Philly rage. ;) I don't really care that the guy changed allegiances.

Born in Olean NY, but graduated from Drexel. I left Philly 16 years ago. I'm much better now, but I'm still a Phanatic. ;)

BTW...

Pat's > Geno's

Pats* fans are synonymous with Bandwagon fans.

;)

I'm guessing 80% are bandwagoners.

Born and raised a Yankee fan here and I currently live in Philly. I've been to a couple of Phillies games here gleefully rocking my Yankees gear, but I still watch every Yankee game using MLB TV.

I think people who jump their team's ship and start rooting for another team don't deserve to be alive. THink about it. What type of friend would this person be? I don't trust them as far as I can throw them and they can all go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

What he said. ;)

Thank you.

I am a very disinterested BB fan. I will watch a game if the Phillies are involved and I have nothing else to do. I was born just outside Philly and have been a very casual fan for my life.

A friend of mine who was born in Rochester and still lives here was a Poorpiss fan in junior high and switched to the Bills. He said the reason why is he looked around and saw where he lived. I'd say up til 10th grade a guy can switch but after that it's heresy.

The only possible reason IMO to possibly switch is that wearing another teams colors can make you a target of A-holes. A friend of mine is a scRams fan and he went to a game in Buffalo but didn't wear any teams colors. JMO

I'd agree that he's probably a bandwagon fan.

That said, I've lived in Minnesota for 15 years and consider myself a Wild fan. I like the Sabres too, and I still root for the Sabres, but when they're not playing each other, I root for the Wild.

I think if you can switch teams that easily you never were a true fan of the original team. Just can't happen. I grew up a Bills fan in S. Ontario and have been in the Bay area for 9 years. Even as frustrated and worn down by the Bills as I am, at no time have I ever felt the urge to become a Raider or Niner fan. Not like that would be an improvement but still.

Just channeling my inner Philly rage. ;) I don't really care that the guy changed allegiances.

Born in Olean NY, but graduated from Drexel. I left Philly 16 years ago. I'm much better now, but I'm still a Phanatic. ;)

BTW...

Pat's > Geno's

:beer::lol:

It is baseball and given you grew up in Olean... I guess you could take your pick from a number close teams... Phils make sense! :lol:

I agree with the people about being a casual fan/serious fan determining whether the guy should jump ship.

What everyone is missing is that the guy was a BRAVES fan. By definition that is a casual fan. There seriously may not be even one Braves fan anywhere that is totally into the team. They are based in a transient city full of blowhards and aired on a network that never took anything seriously. There is not fan of the Braves, Hawks, Falcons or Threshers that is even close to the level of a Bills fan. Not one single person. We are all shocked that someone could jump ship on a team because we are Bills fans. To a Braves "fan" the act is more like getting a new toothbrush. Sure the old one was ok, but who really cares?

I'd add one other category - a team whose ownership just gives up or turns completely hostile towards the fanbase. The Raiders (Al Davis), Marlins, heck even the Bills to some extent under Son of Satan's regime all could fall under that set of conditions.

Link?

So you had time to watch 2-3 hour games in socal but you don't have time to spend 30 minutes following the team online in nocal?

It's not an issue of time. I would much rather watch them on TV or listen on the radio than follow them via blogs and the internet. I'm not a baseball geek who has to analyze the box scores the next day or read an article about the game. I usually watched or listened to more than half the game every year. I can't do that here so I've been following the Giants. The I have a life remark was just busting his balls. :nana:

I was a "serious" Angels fan for two decades when I lived in soCal and have become a "casual" Giants fan since I moved to SF. Kind of hard to follow a team if you can't watch any of their games, I just like having a team to follow. The Angles come up here in a couple of weeks for inter-league play against the Giants and I'm not sure who to root for. :nana:

Perhaps they can rename themselves the Los Angeles Angels of San Francisco while they're up in the bay area- to make your decision easier. Heck, they used to just call themselves the California Angels so any wanker in the state could adopt them... Anyway, I applaud your willingness to dump the Halos, though.

I'm living in SF and have always had a great time at the Giants games. I even cheer 'em on for the most part, but I'll ALWAYS be a Dodgers fan. (I moved here the day the Giants lost the World Series to the LAAoA, btw- SF was a little less gay on that day.)

On the original topic, I don't think it's right to switch teams- with a few exceptions: Your team moves, You're an Angels fan who's finally seen the light, heheheh, or you move on from a team that labels itself 'America's Team'. I don't know if the Braves still call themself America's Team, but I know they used to, so I don't see anything wrong with switching from the Braves to the Phillies BUT, imo, your friend has used up his one technicality bandwagon jump, and is stuck with the Phils no matter how bad they suck, or even if he moves to some foreign land.

Just channeling my inner Philly rage. :nana: I don't really care that the guy changed allegiances.

Born in Olean NY, but graduated from Drexel. I left Philly 16 years ago. I'm much better now, but I'm still a Phanatic. :oops:

BTW...

Pat's > Geno's

+1 So so true!