Ask Tim Graham, version 2.0

Lori

White will need to have two helmets.

Most of the defensive headset-wearers have two helmets, too, because it's common for the No. 1 and No. 2 guy to be on the field at the same time in different subpackages.

Of course.

Thanks, again, Tim.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will change 37 times between now and Week 3.

1. Patriots: 11 wins last year and Brady coming back. Upgraded secondary.

2. Dolphins: They overachieved a little last year and had a lot of things break just right.

3. Jets: Their defense should be fun to watch, but a question mark at QB and no receiver threat.

4. Bills: A lot of fun offensive weapons, but too much flux on the line for me.

Your just saying that because this is a Bills board. I bet on the other AFC East forums that your a part of you put the Bills in 1st and the Pats in 4th. :thumbsup:

Hey Tim,

Just curious, do you think the UFL will be a joke? Seems like they are headed in the right direction considering they have been able to land pretty high profile coaches (Haslet, Fassel, Willingham).

Hey Tim,

Just curious, do you think the UFL will be a joke? Seems like they are headed in the right direction considering they have been able to land pretty high profile coaches (Haslet, Fassel, Willingham).

In light of the UFL and other rumoured pro football leagues waiting in the wings, I find it hard to believe the NFL did not want to continue stateside spring football, either an official NFL spring league like NFLE was or an independent league that is approved and endorsed by the NFL. There is so much interest in football even in the offseason that I think people would gobble up a league of full of NFL prospects. Certainly the NFL Network could use some fresh offseason programming, and didn't NFL teams like having a place for prospects to develop like NFLE? I can't believe a US-based NFL Spring would not make money.

PTR

Hey Tim,

I don't think it will be a joke in concept. How they run it as a business, I'm not sure. But if people accept it for what it is (a second-tier league with a combo of NFL fringe players and minor-league prospects) then I think they'll enjoy it.

I envision it being like the old International Hockey League, which was heavy with veterans compared to the AHL. You'll have guys who've been in the NFL and trying to get back or would rather play than sit the bench or rot on a practice squad.

Players have 20 days to notify the league they want to appeal a suspension during the offseason, 10 days during the season. But the appeal happens at a much later date.

I spoke with Lynch's people a while ago, and they said they had notified the league. Now we wait.

Thanks for the scoop. Although personally, I think Marshawn should man up and take the three games.

Thanks for the scoop. Although personally, I think Marshawn should man up and take the three games.

Why? He is losing a lot of money. Why wouldn't he try to get it reduced? Wouldn't you in a similar situation?

Why? He is losing a lot of money. Why wouldn't he try to get it reduced? Wouldn't you in a similar situation?

To me it's about being accountable and realizing that there are consequences for your actions.

To me it's about being accountable and realizing that there are consequences for your actions.

I think he did that by initiating the meeting with Goodell, and with his public statements. Accepting responsibility and accepting any punishment, are two different things. Compared to several recent cases, this seems like too harsh a sentence for what Lynch did, at least it does to me.

An appeal doesn't mean ML isn't willing to accept responsibility and reasonable consequences, and the outcome of the appeal certainly won't be the dismissal of all punishment. It is a way to examine if the punishment is truly proportional to the violation, and is consistent with recent NFL precedent.

This will change 37 times between now and Week 3.

1. Patriots: 11 wins last year and Brady coming back. Upgraded secondary.

2. Dolphins: They overachieved a little last year and had a lot of things break just right.

3. Jets: Their defense should be fun to watch, but a question mark at QB and no receiver threat.

4. Bills: A lot of fun offensive weapons, but too much flux on the line for me.

Hi Tim,

Can the Bills coaches honestly be thinking of starting two rookie guards, one of which didn't play guard in college, a backup free agent center and expect to have any kind of a stability on that O line this season ?

I think he did that by initiating the meeting with Goodell, and with his public statements. Accepting responsibility and accepting any punishment, are two different things. Compared to several recent cases, this seems like too harsh a sentence for what Lynch did, at least it does to me.

An appeal doesn't mean ML isn't willing to accept responsibility and reasonable consequences, and the outcome of the appeal certainly won't be the dismissal of all punishment. It is a way to examine if the punishment is truly proportional to the violation, and is consistent with recent NFL precedent.

I understand what you are saying, but I'll still respectfully disagree. You could just as easily say his handlers told him to do those things (I guess I am a cynic). Considering Marhawn is a two time offender, I do not see the punishment as "any" punishment or harsh.

Tim - in your opinion who is likely to be the "surprise" contributor from the Bills sqaud this upcoming season. Each year there is someone on any NFL team that steps up their play to an unexpected level. Last year for the Bills some on this board would claim it was Steve Johnson (I would say it is a bit premature to give him this status). From prior years one could argue Jason Peters, Fred Jackson, Brad Butler and Kyle Williams were examples. What are your thoughts for the upcoming season?

So, if you were convicted of a crime and sentenced to 1 year in jail, you would turn down an appeal to reduce your sentence to 1 month based on principle? I know playing football and going to jail is a poor comparison, but you get my point.

Tim - in your opinion who is likely to be the "surprise" contributor from the Bills sqaud this upcoming season. Each year there is someone on any NFL team that steps up their play to an unexpected level.

I hope it's Dick Jauron...

To me, three games seems about right. My first thought was that he should just accept it.

I changed my mind because it's not just Marshawn who gets hurt when he gets a suspension. It's his employer, the Bills. For that reason, I think he has to appeal.

Why are you moving back to Buffalo?

It's almost entirely about family and friends. I loved my time there.

But there are several other benefits, including travel. I'm now an hour flight (with more direct options) from two of the three other AFC East teams and won't waste my Saturdays and Mondays getting from Point A to Point B. I can drive to Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Detroit if need be. The move should improve coverage.

It's almost entirely about family and friends. I loved my time there.

But there are several other benefits, including travel. I'm now an hour flight (with more direct options) from two of the three other AFC East teams and won't waste my Saturdays and Mondays getting from Point A to Point B. I can drive to Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Detroit if need be. The move should improve coverage.

Do you post on other AFC East forums? If so, how do you find the time? Or are we (Lori at a guess) special? BTW, I really enjoy your posts and am glad you are here. Your description of how a story is made at ESPN and the process it entails, was extremely interesting.

Do you post on other AFC East forums? If so, how do you find the time? Or are we (Lori at a guess) special? BTW, I really enjoy your posts and am glad you are here. Your description of how a story is made at ESPN and the process it entails, was extremely interesting.

I'm a member of a Dolphins board from my days covering the team, but I visit that site maybe once or twice a month. I rarely post anything there. Including my time at the Palm Beach Post, I think my post count is in the single digits.

I come here because I like to hang out with Buffalo sports fans.

I'm a member of a Dolphins board from my days covering the team, but I visit that site maybe once or twice a month. I rarely post anything there. Including my time at the Palm Beach Post, I think my post count is in the single digits.

That is great, I can tell my friend of 25 years who is a NE fan you come here because we are cooler (to paraphrase). <_<

Always an Indians fan, but the mid-80s Mets were fun to watch. I was a huge fan of Dwight Gooden and Gary Carter.

Gary Carter and Don Mattingly were my 2 favorite players growing up (spent the first 10 years of my life in Connecticut, so yes, I was confused at to which team to cheer for). That 86 Mets team was incredible. Mookie Wilson FTW !!!!!

Gary Carter and Don Mattingly were my 2 favorite players growing up (spent the first 10 years of my life in Connecticut, so yes, I was confused at to which team to cheer for). That 86 Mets team was incredible. Mookie Wilson FTW !!!!!

Don Mattingly was my favorite baseball player growing up. If he hadn't of screwed up his back he would of won a world series with the Yankees as a player. I always felt bad that the year after he retired, the Yankees happened to win it all. That must of been very bitter sweet for him. I loved that guy.

So ... the glasses are washed, the bar's been wiped down, and Tim's Place -- where the wings are hot, the beer is cold, and the football talk doesn't stop at closing time -- is open for business.

I should note btw, that if the beer is still being served after closing time, it is probably illegal. Not that it doesn't happen, I remember one whole restaurant management staff fired for such. I served people after the legal time on more than one occasion. A local DJ who has some national prominence was complaining about such recently, yet I remember him being very demanding about being served well after closing time. In his defense, who stops drinking at midnight... :devil:

One thing on this I have been talking about to people lately is: Are there teams that have fans with as much football knowledge as Bills fans "in general"? What I mean by that is not a soul will be a casual fan of football and decide "hey, I think I am going to start liking the Buffalo Bills." Guess unless you live in upstate NY or have parents that raise their children to be fans. It's not the sexy team that say the Cowboys, Giants or say Steelers produce. So it seems I can talk to any given Bills fan and they would know just about everything there is about the team and the sport. Bills fans have such passion for the game and the team. What is your take? What team would have fans that may be similar?

The Jim Kelly/Jack Kemp group has been out there, but I'd like to hear where they're getting their money. And Jack Kemp is said to be quite ill. Ted Rogers was another serious possibility, but he passed away last fall.

Ralph might outlive everybody.

Wow, how is that for prophetic... I wish I learned of this thread sooner. Your insights are very real and precise.

One thing on this I have been talking about to people lately is: Are there teams that have fans with as much football knowledge as Bills fans "in general"? What I mean by that is not a soul will be a casual fan of football and decide "hey, I think I am going to start liking the Buffalo Bills." Guess unless you live in upstate NY or have parents that raise their children to be fans. It's not the sexy team that say the Cowboys, Giants or say Steelers produce. So it seems I can talk to any given Bills fan and they would know just about everything there is about the team and the sport. Bills fans have such passion for the game and the team. What is your take? What team would have fans that may be similar?

I have friends who are fans of the Dolphins, Steelers, Falcons, and Jets. These guys know football just as well or better than many here. Every team has passionate fans who know the game well.

Tim, I take it since there are no more Pisa updates that it means he is working out a contract with Buffalo and you don't want to reveal any info before he signs? Am I close?

Ok, just answer this question, will I get to hear an announcer try to say Tinoisamoa and Posluszny combine to make the tackle?

Tim: You would know my brother, Brian Biggane, PB Post. He's back on the DOLFAGS beat. Things be looking scary in the news biz, I'm afraid. Too bad, 'cuz I'm a newspaper junky. Thanks for what you do for all of us (mostly annonymous) Bills Fans....Barry