Ask Tim Graham, version 2.0

Lori

Look, Tim could cover the Hamdan issue everyday all day and we would all still be hanging on with baited breath for the next article to keep the Hamdan junkies happy. It just isn't feasible for the poor guy to even try.

I can guarantee I will be at that guy's locker a lot. I've written before that he's a great communicator.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He sure did look great the first third of last year. This came up at our blog summit at ESPN headquarters, that everybody thought he was a Pro Bowler. AFC South guy Paul Kuharsky was laughing that he thought he was looking at the next Manning or Brady with the Jaguars victory.

Then the wheels fell off.

I think his confidence was shattered by the game in Miami, where he stretched the ball for a first down like he was trying to break the plane of the end zone. It was a boneheaded play, and Joey Porter merely swiped the ball from him. That was the first of a long string of mental mistakes from a guy who had been pretty sharp up until then. Interceptions, fumbles, sacks because he was indecisive.

The offense was tailored for short, quick passes. It'll be interesting to see if a few months away brings his swagger back. And he needs to stay healthy. A decent year in which he missed two or three games makes it very hard to trust him with your franchise moving forward.

Blame the poor coaching of our poor coach, for Trents lack of confidence.

I guess I do have a Tinoisamoa update ...

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-8-73/...ring-Bills.html

So here we have a player that leads the team in tackles four out of six years with the Rams, but they decide to cut him loose because smaller and faster does not work?

So the question might be: what is the price of another tackling machine LB in the London Fletcher mold, since the Rams could not find a trading partner (Tinoisamoa was scheduled to earn $3.25 million this season) and they decided to cut him loose?

I can guarantee I will be at that guy's locker a lot. I've written before that he's a great communicator.

Tim, I've re-opened the annual "Dinner's On Me, SmartAss Competition" here. It'll remain open until 5 p.m. Buffalo time. I hope you can participate. I'm sure none of the Bills fans would bust your chops about your picks.

Tim, I've re-opened the annual "Dinner's On Me, SmartAss Competition" here. It'll remain open until 5 p.m. Buffalo time. I hope you can participate. I'm sure none of the Bills fans would bust your chops about your picks.

The Patriots* rule would eliminate me before we got started.

Yeah!!! Tim uses the asterix!!! :wacko:

Actually, I think he's merely citing the rule to show that he can't use the asterisk ...

(The preceding was a public service announcement, meant to hopefully forestall thousands of irate Pats* fans from arriving at Graham's front door with buckets of tar and bags of feathers.)

Actually, I think he's merely citing the rule to show that he can't use the asterisk ...

(The preceding was a public service announcement, meant to hopefull forestall thousands of irate Pats* fans arriving at Graham's front door with buckets of tar and bags of feathers.)

:thumbsup::wacko:

Tim, please find this out for me because its been bothering me...Why don't the Bills practice outside? Every outdoor team practices outside but Buffalo, why is this? We have some crazy winds, why not get used to them?

Because executing and getting the right repititions in is more important than the weather. It could be horrible all week and come game time the weather isnt a factor. Executing the plays is what matters.

Because executing and getting the right repititions in is more important than the weather. It could be horrible all week and come game time the weather isnt a factor. Executing the plays is what matters.

Why are we the only team inside? What good is executing inside when we don't play inside?

Seems like the team could use some work on learning how to execute plays during inclement weather ...

(The preceding was a public service announcement, meant to hopefully forestall thousands of irate Pats* fans from arriving at Graham's front door with buckets of tar and bags of feathers.)

So what you're saying is Tim thinks the Patsies* didn't cheat? :wallbash:

Seems like the team could use some work on learning how to execute plays during inclement weather ...

Are the Bills concerned they will learn how to execute in bad weather, and then not be able to do so if the weather is fair?

IMO, the team should be preparing to execute irrespective of the weather. The best way to do that, is to practice outdoors, in any weather, and not let it be used as an excuse for failure.

Are the Bills concerned they will learn how to execute in bad weather, and then not be able to do so if the weather is fair?

IMO, the team should be preparing to execute irrespective of the weather. The best way to do that, is to practice outdoors, in any weather, and not let it be used as an excuse for failure.

Its not even bad weather, what about Buffalo winds? I cant remember many Bills games that have been perfect weather.

Throwing a pass in a 10-15mph wind has to be different then throwing indoors in a controlled climate.

It's comes down to quality practices. What if you spend all week practicing in the elements and it's sunny and 55 degrees on Sunday? You wasted a week of prep time trying to weather yourself.

Football coaches and athletes try to capitalize on what they can control. You can totally control your practices when you're inside.

It's comes down to quality practices. What if you spend all week practicing in the elements and it's sunny and 55 degrees on Sunday?

Then, if you perfected what you can do during the week, it will only be EASIER to do it on Sunday. Since you can't control the weather on Sunday, you shouldn't try to do it during the week.

I understand their reasoning for being inside, I'm just saying it is faulty logic.

Then, if you perfected what you can do during the week, it will only be EASIER to do it on Sunday. Since you can't control the weather on Sunday, you shouldn't try to do it during the week.

I understand their reasoning for being inside, I'm just saying it is faulty logic.

Marv had it right -- he used to mix it up -- some time inside and then some time outside, as well.

Marv had it right -- he used to mix it up -- some time inside and then some time outside, as well.

Yup. In the week before an outdoor game, that makes sense. In a perfect world, I guess you would have a weather machine, constantly changing the elements, to minimize their influence.

At this time of year, outside provides all the weather changes necessary, IMO.

Our teams before Jauron practiced outside once a week when the weather started getting nasty if I recall correctly.

Tim, with the drafting of 2 CBs this year, do you think the Bills are getting prepared to move on without Youboty? He plays well when he's healthy but now it's looking like training camp before he's that again.

Also, do you think they're possibly looking at losing McGee next year? The Bills have long had a history of drafting CBs one year and letting another escape in free agency the following

T Smith for Odomes...Burris for Washington...Winfield for T Smith..Clements for Irvin..McGee for Winfield...we even picked up Youboty the year before Clements left...had Youboty contributed more in 2006, I doubt we would've picked up Jason Webster to be honest

You're assuming a team is capable of perfecting its game plan in bad weather. That's a risky assumption.

Teams can guarantee quality practice conditions inside. You practice outside and you're adding unnecessary variables to your week just in case you have to play in it.

Our teams before Jauron practiced outside once a week when the weather started getting nasty if I recall correctly.

Tim, with the drafting of 2 CBs this year, do you think the Bills are getting prepared to move on without Youboty? He plays well when he's healthy but now it's looking like training camp before he's that again.

Also, do you think they're possibly looking at losing McGee next year? The Bills have long had a history of drafting CBs one year and letting another escape in free agency the following

T Smith for Odomes...Burris for Washington...Winfield for T Smith..Clements for Irvin..McGee for Winfield...we even picked up Youboty the year before Clements left...had Youboty contributed more in 2006, I doubt we would've picked up Jason Webster to be honest

I think they're just trying to gather as many corners as they can and hope that they find four they like by the end of the camp because it's such a valuable position. I'm sure Youboty's health played a role in what they did during the draft.

Hi Tim:

Now that OTAs are started is there any update on Demetrious Bell? Is it true he is now stronger, maybe enough to play some, early?

I know everyone is putting up a brave face with Walker at LT for the season, but I think more than a few of us are still vaguely hopeful and even expecting, Bell to be the LT and Walker back to RT by the start of the season.

Has Bell really built an NFL body or was that OBD leading us on?

Thanks

I think they're just trying to gather as many corners as they can and hope that they find four they like by the end of the camp because it's such a valuable position. I'm sure Youboty's health played a role in what they did during the draft.

I am glad to see you address this topic Tim. Do you think that historically, and especially under the Levy/Jauron regime, that the Bills waste too many draft resources on defensive backs?

You're assuming a team is capable of perfecting its game plan in bad weather. That's a risky assumption.

Teams can guarantee quality practice conditions inside. You practice outside and you're adding unnecessary variables to your week just in case you have to play in it.

Actually, since the team plays outdoors in Buffalo (and other northeast cities), I would demand they perfect their game plan in bad weather. I have a pretty good idea they won't do so if they don't set it as a goal. I wouldn't shy away from it because it is hard to do.

It would also set a realistic and effective game plan, and force them to know how to be effective in what ever weather they face. It is as much training for the coaches as it is for the players.

It's comes down to quality practices. What if you spend all week practicing in the elements and it's sunny and 55 degrees on Sunday? You wasted a week of prep time trying to weather yourself.

Football coaches and athletes try to capitalize on what they can control. You can totally control your practices when you're inside.

Thank you.

I understand quality practices, but with all do respect to Dick Jauron, coaches like Mike Tomlin, Andy Reid, and Bill Belichick like practicing outdoors, I respect those guys a little more than Jauron.

Maybe the Bills are just preparing for the Jets in Toronto.

It just makes no sense.

It seems fairly simple to me as well. You're an outdoor team, playing in a city notorious for its bad weather and tricky winds - you have to practice outside to become accustomed to that. But, you'd want to have some practices indoors to work on the details of your game plan. Seems, easy. Mix it up. You get the best of both worlds; more experience playing in the elements and the benefit of finely tuning your game plans in a controlled environment.

Actually, since the team plays outdoors in Buffalo (and other northeast cities), I would demand they perfect their game plan in bad weather. I have a pretty good idea they won't do so if they don't set it as a goal. I wouldn't shy away from it because it is hard to do.

It would also set a realistic and effective game plan, and force them to know how to be effective in what ever weather they face. It is as much training for the coaches as it is for the players.

It has nothing to do with shying away from something that's "hard to do."

It's a careless use of valuable time. The CBA spells out specifically how much time a team can be on the field. You don't while away quality practice time on the if-come.

I can understand how Bills fans want their players to be Arctic badasses. It's easy to embrace that blue-collar, "Welcome to Buffalo, suckers!" mentality. But it's totally illogical to inflict the elements on your practice time for a slight POTENTIAL edge.

The Dolphins practice in 80 degrees every week. They won several key games in the cold late in the season. Any edge is negligible -- and that's IF the weather is bad on Sunday.

I understand quality practices, but with all do respect to Dick Jauron, coaches like Mike Tomlin, Andy Reid, and Bill Belichick like practicing outdoors, I respect those guys a little more than Jauron.

Maybe the Bills are just preparing for the Jets in Toronto.

It just makes no sense.

The difference with those teams isn't that they practice inside or outside.

The difference is they have great players.

It has nothing to shying away from something that's "hard to do."

It's a careless use of valuable time. The CBA spells out specifically how much time a team can be on the field. You don't while away quality practice time on the if-come.

I can understand how Bills fans want their players to be Arctic badasses. It's easy to embrace that blue-collar,welcome-to-Buffalo-suckers mentality. But it's totally illogical to inflict the elements on your practice time for a slight POTENTIAL edge.

The Dolphins practice in 80 degrees every week. They won several key games in the cold late in the season. Any edge is negligible -- and that's IF the weather is bad on Sunday.

I saw the Miami Dolphins practicing in the frozen food aisle at COSTCO while Parcells was heaving snow cones at players. That's how Miami prepares.

I saw the Miami Dolphins practicing in the frozen food aisle at COSTCO while Parcells was heaving snow cones at players. That's how Miami prepares.

I talked to Tasker about this last year before the Bills-Dolphins game in Toronto, and he remembered a bad-weather game against the Saints. The Bills just knew they were going to crush them. The Saints were going to fold in the snow because the Bills owned that kind of weather.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-4-461...as-a-price.html

I talked to Tasker about this last year before the Bills-Dolphins game in Toronto, and he remembered a bad-weather game against the Saints. The Bills just knew they were going to crush them. The Saints were going to fold in the snow because the Bills owned that kind of weather.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-4-461...as-a-price.html

I hope you are not talking about the game in '89 when the Saints won in the snow? John Fourcade's game of his life.

I hope you are not talking about the game in '89 when the Saints won in the snow? John Fourcade's game of his life.

That's precisely the game he's talking about. All right, Tim, you're starting to convince me.