Ask Tim Graham, version 2.0

Lori

The original "Ask Tim Graham" thread is beginning to creak under the weight of more than 800 posts, so I decided that once the odometer hit 100,000 page views, it was time to let it retire gracefully and fire up another one.

For those of you just joining us, this pinned thread is a place for Stadium Wall members to interact with Tim Graham, the proprietor of ESPN.com's AFC East blog. From "Ask Tim," v. 1.0:

Just a couple of thoughts ...

I'll talk about all sorts of topics here that I might not be prepared to write about, but because my byline is the symbol of whatever credibility and integrity I've built up in this profession, there will be some questions I won't be able to answer. In the Internet Age, anything I post here could be construed as a published story.

So the general rule of thumb I'll try to follow is this standard: If you were to run into me at a bar -- the chances are pretty high of that -- and we were to strike up casual conversation, anything I would feel comfortable telling you in that setting, I will tell you here.

I'll try to stay on this as much as I can, but there might be long periods between activity. But this site already is part of my daily routine.

Thanks for letting me hang around.

So ... the glasses are washed, the bar's been wiped down, and Tim's Place -- where the wings are hot, the beer is cold, and the football talk doesn't stop at closing time -- is open for business.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So ... the glasses are washed, the bar's been wiped down, and Tim's Place -- where the wings are hot, the beer is cold, and the football talk doesn't stop at closing time -- is open for business.

Tim - I missed the beer and wings - where are they? More on track - while there is a long way until the season begins who do you thing in the division (AFC East) is likely to take a step forward this year, who might take a step back and why?

The original "Ask Tim Graham" thread is beginning to creak under the weight of more than 800 posts, so I decided that once the odometer hit 100,000 page views, it was time to let it retire gracefully and fire up another one.

For those of you just joining us, this pinned thread is a place for Stadium Wall members to interact with Tim Graham, the proprietor of ESPN.com's AFC East blog. From "Ask Tim," v. 1.0:

I will have a Tanqueray and Tonic 20 extra hot drenched please. Oh and extra BC and celery. Thanks.

Tim, since you have the big ESPN bucks, how about drinks on you?

While we wait for our drinks, have you heard anything about Langston Walkers' thoughts on playing LT? Will he try and slim down, knowing he has to face speed rushers for 16 games? Maybe you can do a story on Walker, I have not heard one word from him since the Peters trade.

Hey Tim,

(As I posted earlier, can you help me on this one)

Everyone kept saying, Marshawn will appeal the suspension and get 1-2 games not 3. Why hasn't he appealed yet? What is he waiting for? Is there a chance that after his talk with Goddell he was informed he has to keep it at 3? I just don't get it.

Hey Tim,

Everyone kept saying, Marshawn will appeal the suspension and get 1-2 games not 3. Why hasn't he appealed yet? What is he waiting for? Is there a chance that after his talk with Goddell he was informed he has to keep it at 3? I just don't get it.

Thats a GREAT question! :thumbsup:

Why hasn't Marshawn appealed his 3 game suspension? I would think he might be able to get it down to 2 games. Any thoughts?

Is it possible he was told NOT to appeal by the commish?

Huh? That makes little sense, as he is the one who issued the suspension. Where else could Lynch appeal? It would make a mockery of the whole process, and the NFLPA would go berserk if they ever got a sniff of something like that. And, since the Commish has already ruled, what would be the disincentive for Lynch to appeal? The Commish couldn't simply add more time if Marshawn appeals...it doesn't work that way.

Now, if you are suggesting he has told Lynch he will reduce the suspension if Lynch stays out of trouble, and made a gentleman's agreement to do so if Marshawn doesn't appeal...well that's a different issue. Still, I expect the NFLPA will pressure Lynch to appeal, at some point.

Tim,

As we all know, Patriots LB Tyrone McKenzie tore his knee up in the mini camp and is out for the year. My question deals with his contract. Obviously, he is injured before having signed one, so what happens to him? Also, how does that effect the negotiations for his rookie contract that every rookie signs? Do they not take the injury into consideration? Does McKenzie get screwed? How do they go about negotiations now? Loaded question I know, but very interesting, at least to me.

Hey Tim,

Any sense that the Bills are reluctant to make long-term commitments to players that fit the Cover 2 system because of the realization that if Jauron is gone after the season, the next coach likely won't want to run the same defense?

No sense of that at all. In fact, I'd never even thought of the notion until you raised it.

Huh? That makes little sense, as he is the one who issued the suspension. Where else could Lynch appeal? It would make a mockery of the whole process, and the NFLPA would go berserk if they ever got a sniff of something like that. And, since the Commish has already ruled, what would be the disincentive for Lynch to appeal? The Commish couldn't simply add more time if Marshawn appeals...it doesn't work that way.

Now, if you are suggesting he has told Lynch he will reduce the suspension if Lynch stays out of trouble, and made a gentleman's agreement to do so if Marshawn doesn't appeal...well that's a different issue. Still, I expect the NFLPA will pressure Lynch to appeal, at some point.

What I meant was the commish could have made it 4 games but made it 3 and told him not to push the issue. I hope he does appeal and gets it reduced.

Tim, am I reading too much into it, or does the fact that Levi Jones and his agent seem to be in no rush to sign (the cancelled trip to Seattle) point to possible lingering injuries?

My guess is he doesn't want to attend the off season stuff.

Tim,

As we all know, Patriots LB Tyrone McKenzie tore his knee up in the mini camp and is out for the year. My question deals with his contract. Obviously, he is injured before having signed one, so what happens to him? Also, how does that effect the negotiations for his rookie contract that every rookie signs? Do they not take the injury into consideration? Does McKenzie get screwed? How do they go about negotiations now? Loaded question I know, but very interesting, at least to me.

Draftees who report for rookie camp or participate in other team activities before they are under contract are presented with a tender letter that binds the team in case something like this happens. The stipulations are that if the player suffers a serious injury, the team must negotiate a contract in good faith based on the contract signed by the player drafted in the same slot the previous year.

Hey Tim,

Players have 20 days to notify the league they want to appeal a suspension during the offseason, 10 days during the season. But the appeal happens at a much later date.

I spoke with Lynch's people a while ago, and they said they had notified the league. Now we wait.

Players have 20 days to notify the league they want to appeal a suspension during the offseason, 10 days during the season. But the appeal happens at a much later date.

I spoke with Lynch's people a while ago, and they said they had notified the league. Now we wait.

Good info, Tim. Thanks. I knew about the 10-day in-season rule, but could find nothing about the offseason. Of course, I didn't try really hard...that's your job! :thumbsup:

Why hasn't Marshawn appealed his 3 game suspension? I would think he might be able to get it down to 2 games. Any thoughts?

Is it possible he was told NOT to appeal by the commish?

The CBA ensures players can appeal all suspensions.

Tim, when you look at the Bills offensive personnel this year, it runs a lot deeper than it has in a long time. There are so many different skill position players you want to get onto the field-- 3 halfbacks, a fullback, 2 tight ends, 5 or 6 different recievers.

I know you already wrote the story about the plans for a no-huddle package, and more spread (multi-WR) sets, and it was a fine piece. I wonder if you might have any further insight into how Schonert and company plan to make use of all this personnel. There have already been rumblings about Shawn Nelson splitting out wide on occasion, and the Bills began to explore last year with Lynch and Jackson on the field at the same time.

I just wonder if you've heard anything about new wrinkles or formations to get all these guys onto the field, and get the most out of them. Thanks.

Good info, Tim. Thanks. I knew about the 10-day in-season rule, but could find nothing about the offseason. Of course, I didn't try really hard...that's your job! :thumbsup:

I contacted the league about the appeals process right when the Lynch announcement was made because the CBA specifies how they're handled in season. That suggests there are different rules for offseason. So I made a call and was told by the NFL it was 10 days. After 10 days I called to see if Lynch had notified them he wanted to appeal and was informed "He actually has 20 days. We didn't know that, either." It happens every now and then that even the team or the league doesn't know what's in that massive document.

Another example: I recently tried to look up the rules for third QBs on game day because of Pat White. The rules for inactives are neither in the rule book nor the CBA. So I asked around and got a lot of shrugs before the Dolphins were able to produce a memo. A memo?

Tim, when you look at the Bills offensive personnel this year, it runs a lot deeper than it has in a long time. There are so many different skill position players you want to get onto the field-- 3 halfbacks, a fullback, 2 tight ends, 5 or 6 different recievers.

I know you already wrote the story about the plans for a no-huddle package, and more spread (multi-WR) sets, and it was a fine piece. I wonder if you might have any further insight into how Schonert and company plan to make use of all this personnel. There have already been rumblings about Shawn Nelson splitting out wide on occasion, and the Bills began to explore last year with Lynch and Jackson on the field at the same time.

I just wonder if you've heard anything about new wrinkles or formations to get all these guys onto the field, and get the most out of them. Thanks.

Unfortunately, I don't have any more info on that. The Bills aren't going to be revealing that info. We'll have to glean whatever we can at training camp and the preseason games. The Bills weren't too keen on me writing that no-huddle story to begin with. I doubt they'll be divulging how they intend to make it work.

I contacted the league about the appeals process right when the Lynch announcement was made because the CBA specifies how they're handled in season, which suggests there are different rules for offseason. So I made a call and was told by the NFL it was 10 days. After 10 days I called to see if Lynch had notified them he wanted to appeal and was informed "He actually has 20 days. We didn't know that, either." It happens every now and then that even the team or the league don't know what's in that massive document.

Another example: I wanted to look up the rules for third QBs on game day because of Pat White. The rules for inactives are neither in the rule book nor the CBA. So I asked around and got a lot of shrugs before the Dolphins were able to produce a memo. A memo?

A memo?

I still say, "No Goal!"

Excellent work, Tim. I'll try to go find the Pat White entry on your blog, as I must have missed it.

Tim, am I reading too much into it, or does the fact that Levi Jones and his agent seem to be in no rush to sign (the cancelled trip to Seattle) point to possible lingering injuries?

The Jones camp said from the get-go they were going to take their time. I'm sure the injury plays a part in that. Much of his work between now and camp will be done on his own anyway.

Unfortunately, I don't have any more info on that. The Bills aren't going to be revealing that info. We'll have to glean whatever we can at training camp and the preseason games. The Bills weren't too keen on me writing that no-huddle story to begin with. I doubt they'll be divulging how they intend to make it work.

Understood, thanks for the response. :thumbsup:

If, Keith Ellison's overall play rated 5 on a scale of 1-10 what would you rate Tinoisamoa?

If Ellison rated a 5, then Mitchell must have been a 9. Where would that put Jon Beason?

I have to be honest about Tinoisamoa: I only know what I've seen on TV, and I might have caught only three or four Rams games as a casual observer.

If Ellison rated a 5, then Mitchell must have been a 9. Where would that put Jon Beason?

I have to be honest about Tinoisamoa: I only know what I've seen on TV, and I might have caught only three or four Rams games as a casual observer.

Thanks Tim for all the time you put in here.

Hi Tim,

Are you going to be doing mini-camp updates from OBD next week? If so, other than avoiding the VH1 cameras, what will you be watching closely and do you have any features planned?

Also--hypothetical -- if The Dean's posts are a 9, what would you rate Skooby's posts? ;-)

Thanks!

Very interesting and some tough decisions for Sparano.

Will White have two different helmets (with, and without communications)?

White will need to have two helmets.

Most of the defensive headset-wearers have two helmets, too, because it's common for the No. 1 and No. 2 guy to be on the field at the same time in different subpackages.

Tim,

As things stand right now, how do you stack the AFC East for '09?

This will change 37 times between now and Week 3.

1. Patriots: 11 wins last year and Brady coming back. Upgraded secondary.

2. Dolphins: They overachieved a little last year and had a lot of things break just right.

3. Jets: Their defense should be fun to watch, but a question mark at QB and no receiver threat.

4. Bills: A lot of fun offensive weapons, but too much flux on the line for me.

Hi Tim,

Are you going to be doing mini-camp updates from OBD next week? If so, other than avoiding the VH1 cameras, what will you be watching closely and do you have any features planned?

Also--hypothetical -- if The Dean's posts are a 9, what would you rate Skooby's posts? ;-)

I will be at minicamp, but not next week's OTAs. All of ESPN's bloggers will be in Bristol for meetings.

Monday will be a big day in the AFC East (T.O., first Brady sighting, Sanchez' first practice with veterans), but I'll be holed up in a board room all day.