Levi Jones doubtful to Bills

Buffalo is surprisingly satisfied with mobility-challenged Langston Walker on Trent Edwards' blind side.

Langston is a lot more mobile than people give him credit for and pass protection is his best assest. I think the coaches would believe the same thing to.

Langston is a lot more mobile than people give him credit for and pass protection is his best assest. I think the coaches would believe the same thing to.

The issue is though would a combination of Jones at LT and Walker at RT be better then Walker at LT and Butler at RT? The fact to me is getting the best 5 guys on the line we can and stay as cohesive as possible so to me a line of LT Jones LG Wood C Hangatner RG Butler and RT Walker far more appealing then LT Walker LG Levitre C Hangatner RG Wood RT Butler. As the latter has five new starters from a year ago of which four are learning "new" positions which to me asking a lot of the players/coaching staff.

I personally think no one should discount us this season, no one. We had shown flashes of brilliance last season, albeit against weaker teams but brilliance none the less.

I'd plan on the Bills making many players wish they were on board after this season, time to hang our opponents.

I think 3 points need to be realized when talking about Jones.

1) It isn't that the Bills are "comfortable" with Walker playing LT it is that they are uncomfortable with paying an injury prone Jones 4-5 Million dollars and having Walker and his 5 million/ Butler with his 2.5 million sitting on the bench. The Bills FO almost never takes risks in FA on aging injury prone players. They just don't have that luxury

2) The Coaching Staff loves Butler

3) The Coaching Staff loves Walker

It all boils down to the front office either being too dumb to see that the OL is going to keep us from competing for a playoff spot this year or they are just too cheap to do anything about it.

or perhaps they think they know more than you do about the talent (and potential) of their roster

Why is everyone so shocked by this? If Levi was so much better than Walker, Cincy would NOT have cut him as their rookie hasnt even played a down yet and has lots of question marks. They would have at least let their questionable rookie show something in camps first. This rookie has protect their beloved Palmer who missed all of last year with an injury and also already had a bad knee injury too...

Posters see this guys name and assume he is better than anoyone we have. I am sure the staff is better suited to evaluate our Line and its needs than the posters who are just going off name recognition...

It all boils down to the front office either being too dumb to see that the OL is going to keep us from competing for a playoff spot this year or they are just too cheap to do anything about it.

So what team are you a coach for? Or is it a professional scout? Because you seem to think you know more about our players than the guys who coach them and see them every day and watch FILM...not TV coverage, but FILM on them all year every year.

Please oh please, bless us with more of your wisdom of how Levi is our savior because you recognize his name. I would bet my beach house that you dont have a clue to how to play LT in the NFL yet you seem to feel you are better suited to evaluate who should play LT than our staff...

Or how about the Levi Jones is on the verge of retirement because his injuries are so bad?

Jesus.

So what team are you a coach for? Or is it a professional scout? Because you seem to think you know more about our players than the guys who coach them and see them every day and watch FILM...not TV coverage, but FILM on them all year every year.

Please oh please, bless us with more of your wisdom of how Levi is our savior because you recognize his name. I would bet my beach house that you dont have a clue to how to play LT in the NFL yet you seem to feel you are better suited to evaluate who should play LT than our staff...

Skooby?

Maybe he was talking to one of your trusted sources.

How about that burn, was it good for you?

:w00t:

I never said Levi was a savior, but they aren't doing anything as far as protecting Edwards blind side. Apparently, he isn't the only one with a blind side. I never said I know more than them, but have you watched any NFL Network, ESPN, or any other football related show, perhaps the NFL draft a few weeks ago? So none of them no anything either right, they all said the same thing as I do about our OL. The Bills could bring back John Fina at his age, and people like you that don't see reality would think it was the best move the organization could make. Wake up.

Great point. We know all teams love to just cut pro bowl offensive linemen who are still in their prime and healthy. :w00t:

I never said Levi was a savior, but they aren't doing anything as far as protecting Edwards blind side. Apparently, he isn't the only one with a blind side. I never said I know more than them, but have you watched any NFL Network, ESPN, or any other football related show, perhaps the NFL draft a few weeks ago? So none of them no anything either right, they all said the same thing as I do about our OL. The Bills could bring back John Fina at his age, and people like you that don't see reality would think it was the best move the organization could make. Wake up.

Well before you just believe everything those analysts have said.....did you stop to think that they harped on it so much JUST BECAUSE Peters unjustly made the pro bowl last year after leading the league in sacks?

Just saying.

I dont know if L. Walker is going to be able to hold down that spot...he did well in spot duty last year and that is all we know at this point. I do know that if we get our between the tackles running game going that will slow down the edge rush.

Levi Jones 2009 is not that good. He has some serious injuy issues. His leg has not completely recovered. He'd be a risky signing.

PTR

Very much so.

PUNCH!!

In the NFL there is this thing called the salary cap. Every team must spend a certain amount on their roster. Paying players that have a long injury history or may be shot as a player is a very risky move. Having a guy on the roster who is eating cap money and providing no service to the team is stupid. That's why they don't do this.

or perhaps they think they know more than you do about the talent (and potential) of their roster

YA THINK!? :w00t:

There you go dreaming again.

Somebody who thinks they know a lot more about evaluating talent than an NFL team is dreaming. :beer:

Great point. We know all teams love to just cut pro bowl offensive linemen who are still in their prime and healthy. :w00t:

It's good thing you don't run the team. Common sense is just stupid. :w00t:

I never said Levi was a savior, but they aren't doing anything as far as (1) protecting Edwards blind side. Apparently, he isn't the only one with a blind side. I never said I know more than them, but have you watched any NFL Network, ESPN, or any other football related show, perhaps the NFL draft a few weeks ago? (2) So none of them no anything either right, they all said the same thing as I do about our OL. The Bills could bring back John Fina at his age, and people like you that don't see reality would think it was the best move the organization could make. Wake up.

First point: Is Edwards going to drop back and pass on every play? No? Then stop obsessing over his blind side. The reason we had to pass so much last year is because the marshmallows in the middle of our o-line couldn't run block or open holes. The Bills just took a big step forward there.

Second point: Do all those people know what they are talking about? Actually, no, they don't. Because these are people don't follow the Bills. These are people who have to say something about 32 different teams. The Bills lose a pro bowl LT, then they say the Bills need a 1st round LT. They don't know who the Bills have on the roster to replace Peters. They don't know if they are any good. It's just easier to parrot what everyone else says. So you if you want to listen to a bunch of parrots, go ahead. Just don't expect them to actually know anything about the Bills.

PTR

According to PFT Levi Jones cancelled his trip to Seattle due to other more promising offer(s). Well, he was just cut, just available now without a trade, and I can't think of too many teams in need of a LT as much as the Bills.... it could be that we are that Promising Opportunity. Whichever team it is, it has to be one where he thinks he'll get a shot at playing, and maybe a decent pay. Seattle has an old, but very good LT that he'd probably be looking to backup. He's gotta be heading to where he thinks he's got a shot at starting, and the Bills could be that team.

I really dont think a guy that has been thrown out by the Bungals is the answer.

Barring any injuries, your starting line up is the following

LT- Walker/ heavy rotation with Chambers

LG- Woods

C- Hangartner

RG- Levitre

RT- Butler

Bell is your first guy off the bench at either one of the tackle positions. One of those three starters will miss some time next year. So Bell gets some P/T and Bills get to see how he fits into the future.

McKinney is first off the bench for one of the gaurds. And Woods slides over to center for Hangartner if he gets banged up.

There are your 8 linemen on your active 53 man roster.

Personally i like this line a lot better then last years. Last years looked good on paper, and ok in games. Something had to be changed. Bills shook things up. Got two of the best interior guys in the draft. And let Butler move out to RT ( where he played in college)and signed a guy(Hangartner) with center experience. He can not possible be worse then Fowler/Preston.

The interior of the line is an upgrade over last years.

RT will be as good i think if not better with Butler out there.

LT is a big question mark. If Walker does not have to play every down and gets rest with Chambers working in, i like the chances of him and Chambers giving up less sacks then Peters did last year. The running game might suffer some on the left side. But overall i like the look and feel of this line more. And the upside is a lot better then we have seen in years.

per rotoworld: (sigh)

The Cincinnati Enquirer calls free agent OT Levi Jones "doubtful" to land with the Bills.

Buffalo is surprisingly satisfied with mobility-challenged Langston Walker on Trent Edwards' blind side. Jones is meeting with the Seahawks next week.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009050...iams++cut+Jones

i believe that was the opinion of the cinci beat writer. however something is up. jones cancelled his visit to seattle. if you ask me he's heading to arizona because gandy sucks. if jones is anywhere near healthy arizona will have first crack @ him and that came right from his own mouth. he wants to play in his home town.

why did he cancel his visit to seattle. marvez said it was because he wanted to check out other opportunities. if its not arizona then maybe its the bills or the lions but the lions really stink so why would he go there?

if you ask me he's going to be a cardinal we shall see but thats my guess.

ross tucker and randy cross both offensive linemen say walker is not a LT thats enough for me.

can he hang in there and man the spot probably but that does not make it his natural position. unlike you its their contention that he is very stiff in the hips to play LT. we shall see.

if that our plan i'm hoping he succeeds because trents life depends on it!

1) It isn't that the Bills are "comfortable" with Walker playing LT it is that they are uncomfortable with paying an injury prone Jones 4-5 Million dollars and having Walker and his 5 million/ Butler with his 2.5 million sitting on the bench. The Bills FO almost never takes risks in FA on aging injury prone players. They just don't have that luxury

you make no sense at all. if jones was healthy how in the hell would that put butler or walker on the bench. thats like saying if we had signed peters walker and or butler would be sitting the bench.

do you really think the bills brass wants to blow up the right side of their line? if you answer is yes your lost.

before losing peters they wanted a new center and LG thats it. they were quite happy with their right side. they caused this mess by not signing peters.

believe me they would much rather have walker as their RT and butler as their RG but now thats not an option.

Well I personally would be up for signing Jones. I don't think that he would cost all that much unless a team like Detroit makes a move on him and gives him a retarded amount of money. I don't see Seattle giving him big money since they have big money wrapped up in Walter Jones. If the Bills could give him a decent one or two year deal with a heavy amount of incentives I would be all for it.

Langston Walker is an above average RT who played LT when he was younger and was terrible at that position. he has only gotten older so why I am to believe that he is going to be even an acceptable LT. Jones is worth trying out if you sign him and he gets hurt than just go with what you were going to have before you got him. The o-line is so reshuffled that it doesn't matter if you shuffle it around a little more. If you have Chambers and Levitre off the bench than that makes your line even better.

If it won't cost you too much why not try and get Jones. Its worth the risk you have the RB's and WR's you need a line to protect the QB that has to get the ball to those weapons. And its made that much more important when your QB is an injury risk

Why is everyone so shocked by this? If Levi was so much better than Walker, Cincy would NOT have cut him as their rookie hasnt even played a down yet and has lots of question marks. They would have at least let their questionable rookie show something in camps first. This rookie has protect their beloved Palmer who missed all of last year with an injury and also already had a bad knee injury too...

Posters see this guys name and assume he is better than anoyone we have. I am sure the staff is better suited to evaluate our Line and its needs than the posters who are just going off name recognition...

agree completely. however the issue in cinci is IMO 2 fold. money and health. believe me if the bills could have drafted smith he would have been our starting LT.

the problem in cinci is that they cant pay smith 10 million a year and jones 6.5 million a year. then there is the issue of jones health.

however if he is healthy he would definatly be the best LT on the bills. if the bills could sign him to an incentive laden contract bringing him in would be ideal. if he can play he's our LT if he cant we cut him simple as that.

that being said i still say he lands in arizona!

if our coaches love them, they must be terrific

agree completely. however the issue in cinci is IMO 2 fold. money and health. believe me if the bills could have drafted smith he would have been our starting LT.

the problem in cinci is that they cant pay smith 10 million a year and jones 6.5 million a year. then there is the issue of jones health.

however if he is healthy he would definatly be the best LT on the bills. if the bills could sign him to an incentive laden contract bringing him in would be ideal. if he can play he's our LT if he cant we cut him simple as that.

that being said i still say he lands in arizona!

Levi Jones 2009 is not that good. He has some serious injuy issues. His leg has not completely recovered. He'd be a risky signing.

PTR

You can always use a veteran player even if it is on a part time basis but it would mean cutting one of the Bell boys and on my personal fantasy roster both of them are going to make the team.

If Buffalo could bring him in on a one year incentive-laden deal, they would be stupid not to. If healthy, he would be an immediate update at LT. If not, then they really didn't lose anything. Signing him to a multiyear deal or including much guaranteed money would be stupid. He would be a nice addition, but its not like he puts us in the Superbowl.

According to PFT Levi Jones cancelled his trip to Seattle due to other more promising offer(s). Well, he was just cut, just available now without a trade, and I can't think of too many teams in need of a LT as much as the Bills.... it could be that we are that Promising Opportunity. Whichever team it is, it has to be one where he thinks he'll get a shot at playing, and maybe a decent pay. Seattle has an old, but very good LT that he'd probably be looking to backup. He's gotta be heading to where he thinks he's got a shot at starting, and the Bills could be that team.

how about his home town team who has a bad LT thats where i think he's going.

If Buffalo could bring him in on a one year incentive-laden deal, they would be stupid not to. If healthy, he would be an immediate update at LT. If not, then they really didn't lose anything. Signing him to a multiyear deal or including much guaranteed money would be stupid. He would be a nice addition, but its not like he puts us in the Superbowl.

Great point its not like people on this board feel his is the final piece or that we should give up the world to get him its just it won't cost us much and if it has a chance of making us better why not take it as long as we have nothing to loose.