Walker at LT and other ramblings

Walker played a bit of LT last year and he was not a complete disaster there, but I do remember that he could get beat to the outside on a speed rush if Edwards takes more than a 3 step drop or simply got too deep. He just didn't have the arms or the range of Peters. Then again, when Peters came in he was getting beat to the outside too - he just looked slower getting out of his stance and staying with his block than in previous years.

That tendancy to get beat with the outside speed rush was even worse when Losman was under center. Losman had a much deeper drop than Edwards (longer legs, bigger stride, I don't know he just always ended up deeper in the backfield) and would hold onto the ball longer. The line never compensated for that difference and we all know the result - blind side hit and fumble... rather than the defender being steered safely around the back of the QB.

With the infusion of attitude on the O-Line we may finally be able to run the ball successfully. The question remains though, if we are running the ball down the other teams throat does the brain trust suddenly get cute and start throwing the ball?? Of course I would change my mind if they hit Evans or Owens deep because the other team was crowding the line :rolleyes:

If they can work that new tightend and Fine into the short yardage game, and run the ball then that should setup Evans and Owens with single coverage for the occasional shot down the field. Both of those guys can take it to the house. Hit a couple of those then other teams will have to call off the dogs and play honest more often than not.

Still interested to see if the FO has any free agent or soon-to-be free agent tackles on thier radar to man the LT position. I would think they would if for no other reason that to get some depth at that position. We have good depth across the interior, but that LT position is one spot where the team is one injury away from deep trouble (unless Bell is the answer).

I am anxious to see how Schobel looks, we really need him to come back strong from his injury and stay healthy. If Maybin can contribute on 3rd and long, where last year we were tortured by the amount of time opposing QBs had to get rid of the ball when put in obvious passing downs, then maybe this year we will have the semblance of a pass rush. Having the offense score some points so that we are playing with a lead would not hurt either. Fewell certainly has enough blitz packages in his arsenal, but he does not use them if they are playing from behind or trying to stay close and conservative.

I can't believe that I am excited about this year.

My feelings for Russ Brandon aside, I have to give him props as a GM for simply generating interest in a team where the fans were falling off the bandwagon pretty darn fast - myself included.

Walker played a bit of LT last year and he was not a complete disaster there, but I do remember that he could get beat to the outside on a speed rush if Edwards takes more than a 3 step drop or simply got too deep. He just didn't have the arms or the range of Peters. Then again, when Peters came in he was getting beat to the outside too - he just looked slower getting out of his stance and staying with his block than in previous years.

That tendancy to get beat with the outside speed rush was even worse when Losman was under center. Losman had a much deeper drop than Edwards (longer legs, bigger stride, I don't know he just always ended up deeper in the backfield) and would hold onto the ball longer. The line never compensated for that difference and we all know the result - blind side hit and fumble... rather than the defender being steered safely around the back of the QB.

With the infusion of attitude on the O-Line we may finally be able to run the ball successfully. The question remains though, if we are running the ball down the other teams throat does the brain trust suddenly get cute and start throwing the ball?? Of course I would change my mind if they hit Evans or Owens deep because the other team was crowding the line :rolleyes:

If they can work that new tightend and Fine into the short yardage game, and run the ball then that should setup Evans and Owens with single coverage for the occasional shot down the field. Both of those guys can take it to the house. Hit a couple of those then other teams will have to call off the dogs and play honest more often than not.

Still interested to see if the FO has any free agent or soon-to-be free agent tackles on thier radar to man the LT position. I would think they would if for no other reason that to get some depth at that position. We have good depth across the interior, but that LT position is one spot where the team is one injury away from deep trouble (unless Bell is the answer).

I am anxious to see how Schobel looks, we really need him to come back strong from his injury and stay healthy. If Maybin can contribute on 3rd and long, where last year we were tortured by the amount of time opposing QBs had to get rid of the ball when put in obvious passing downs, then maybe this year we will have the semblance of a pass rush. Having the offense score some points so that we are playing with a lead would not hurt either. Fewell certainly has enough blitz packages in his arsenal, but he does not use them if they are playing from behind or trying to stay close and conservative.

My feelings for Russ Brandon aside, I have to give him props as a GM for simply generating interest in a team where the fans were falling off the bandwagon pretty darn fast - myself included.

Being stout up the middle allows us to go four wide and still be a rushing threat. Adding Owens to Evans and the rest of our receiving threats [Reed/Parish/Johnson/Hardy], and then piling on a pass-catching TE should leave the middle of the field incredibly vulnerable in certain situations. We might get to see what kind of track stars these whities are!

Why? Because we will have used the pass to setup the run. It sounds like you'd prefer the opposite?

I think based on that lineup we should use the pass to set up the run.....

Plus another way to slow down that edge rush is get them worried about the intermediate pass where the DE starts getting more worried about getting their hands up.......

I would like to see us spread people out.....and then let our RB's run underneath the coverage and hopefully break a big one.....I want to see what Marshawn Lynch can do when he doesn't have someone meeting him in the backfield on every other play

Our LT getting beat by a speed rusher outside because of the deep drop of the QB may have more to do with the interior of our line getting pushed back into the QB's face. Hopefully, our new additions will help alleviate the chronic problem.

I'm not too worried about LW playing LT against the AFC East. All of those team run a 3-4 defense and most of those DE's are larger and slower. It's the non 3-4 teams that worry me the most.

And then again, the 3-4 defense also utilizes quick OLBers to rush the passer, that's where we will have the most problems against the 3-4.

Now with Owes being another legit option for Edwards, I think we can afford to leave Marshawn and Fred back to assist with the blocking as well. If Marshawn can consistently pick up the 3-4 rusher and help chip the 4-3 blindside end, Edwards should have more time to throw on the majority of plays. That will allow Evans to actually get down the field before the ball is out or Edwards is on his back, which should open up Owens and the slot/TEs in the 10-20 yard space that Evans stretches the DBs out in.

The lack of another offensive weapon in the passing game besides Lee last year caused MANY problems for not only our passing game, but also our running game, and our confidence that we can come from behind as well (Changing our defensive and overall gameplans). An issue in one area can affect all other aspects of the team...im REALLY glad we have Owens, I think that will make a HUGE difference.

Our LT getting beat by a speed rusher outside because of the deep drop of the QB may have more to do with the interior of our line getting pushed back into the QB's face. Hopefully, our new additions will help alleviate the chronic problem.

That's a fact!

i think our problems running the ball have been as much about our inability or unwillingness to go down field. Since the QB, Head Coach and OC are the same I don't see the results being any different. Frankly, I will never understand this town's obsession with "smash mouth" football. The greatest success this team ever had was with an offense that was anything but "smash mouth". The modern game requires that a team be able to get the ball deep. There is nothing our offense does worse than going deep.

As for the line, you have 2/5's of it returning with one of those moving to another position. The line sucked last year and a chunk of it is the same. The other 3 positions could be manned by rookies, free agents who were not starters for their old teams and practice squad players. Two of the guys we lost were stiffs but one was an all pro. So, no, I don't see a reason to be excited about this new line. Maybe over the second half of the year or next year when they have some experience.

Maybin will hopefully improve the pass rush but he is just one guy and rarely do rookie DE's make much of an impact.

We were 0-6 in the division and honestly, I can't see where we gained anything on the rest of the division this off season. They took some guys that will be good long term but for next year, 5-11 is as much a possibility with this team as 7-9. When you add in Lynch's suspension along with possible suspensions to Simpson and Whitner, you start wondering if 5-11 is a little too ambitious.

Razberries to Brandon who has failed to put a winning team on the field so far and whose most important personnel move the last two years was to trade away a two time pro bowler. Attaboy Russ.

Good thread and the optimism is healthy, but nomatter how well you scheme you cannot hide a glaring weakness at LT. Eventually you will be in 3rd and long situations and will need time to scan downfield and throw. I am VERY concerned about those situations. Think about it this way, the Eagles probably had the best short passing game in the league the last few years and they felt that they needed to trade for and pay Peters.... There is just not much you can do without quality blindside protection.

I am glad some one finally added Langston's sack number from last year - 3.5. I dont understand why people have issue with him. Langston has been solid for us, and at $5M/year, a nice deal overall. My keys to a good offensive line are the following:

High percentage of short - 3 step that is, drop by the quarterback

Quick release by the quarterback

At least 4 solid pass options for the quarterback

Running backs that correctly read then hit the right hole

The NEw England Patriots have a solid O-Line, but it is not a unit that steam rolls people. They play as a unit for the system and style of offense Tom Brady runs - Quick release, at least four pass options, good decision maker, etc., with running backs that hit the right hole.

BTW - running backs hitting the hole is why I wish Fred Jackson would bve our starter over Marshawn.

How many times did you notice that the interior of our offensive line collapsed when Edwards was trying to stay in the pocket last season? You made some very interesting points but I think that the added linemen during the off-season will allow Edwards to stand in the pocket and pass without having drop back further and get caught by an outside speed rusher.

How many times did you notice that the interior of our offensive line collapsed when Edwards was trying to stay in the pocket last season? You made some very interesting points but I think that the added linemen during the off-season will allow Edwards to stand in the pocket and pass without having drop back further and get caught by an outside speed rusher.

:rolleyes:

Just to have a center that doesn't collapse on the field crying after a DT hits him should help.

...That tendancy to get beat with the outside speed rush was even worse when Losman was under center. Losman had a much deeper drop than Edwards (longer legs, bigger stride, I don't know he just always ended up deeper in the backfield) and would hold onto the ball longer. The line never compensated for that difference and we all know the result - blind side hit and fumble... rather than the defender being steered safely around the back of the QB.

Not to quibble but a 3, 5, or 7 step drop needs to be made the same way/distance by EVERY QB regardless of stride length. If a QB strides too long, they have to shorten it. Too short, they have to lengthen it. It's gotta be the same distance and timing so that the routes develop properly and the OL stays consistent in their assigments depending on the pass-pro scheme called for.

You are right about JP in that he was way too inconsistent with his timing, regardless of drop length. And I also agree that a slower OT is gonna have a problem from a speedier rusher off the edge, particualarly an LB or S that are coming from a wider split with more speed than most LTs can handle. Walker will be challenged, but he held up VERY WELL against what's his name from the Seahawks last year. His technique is good and if our middle can stay stout, our QB can read safeties better, and our RBs can recognize and give the help when needed, Walker at LT may be adequate.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not too worried about LW playing LT against the AFC East. All of those team run a 3-4 defense and most of those DE's are larger and slower. It's the non 3-4 teams that worry me the most.

And then again, the 3-4 defense also utilizes quick OLBers to rush the passer, that's where we will have the most problems against the 3-4.

Actually it's the LB from the 3-4 that killed are LT's last year.

I was all for letting Peters go and I think it was the right decision. That being said, Walker is no more than a stop-gap at LT. At least Butler played LT in college and has the prototypical height and weight to do it. Between Walker, Bell, and the potential signing of a Levi Jones or otherwise, I think it would be smart to keep Walker at RT if at all possible.

And yeah, that doesn't make any sense at all. In the 3-4, our OT's take on speedy rush LB's all the time (Porter, A. Thomas, C. Pace).

I was all for letting Peters go and I think it was the right decision. That being said, Walker is no more than a stop-gap at LT. At least Butler played LT in college and has the prototypical height and weight to do it. Between Walker, Bell, and the potential signing of a Levi Jones or otherwise, I think it would be smart to keep Walker at RT if at all possible.

And yeah, that doesn't make any sense at all. In the 3-4, our OT's take on speedy rush LB's all the time (Porter, A. Thomas, C. Pace).

I'm all for keeping Langston Walker on the Right Side. I'd love to see Demetrius Bell impress the coaching staff and be our starting LT, but that may be overly optimistic, and if not I'd like to see if Butler could make the transition to the Left Side.

Langston's just gonna have to lose 30 to 35 lbs if he expects to play at LT. Hell, I lost 14 pounds in 15 days and I don't get paid five million a season.

You're kidding, right??

First of all, he'd have to lose like 40+. He's listed at 6'6" 365. Second of all, you want a guy to lose 30-40 lbs. to switch to an unnatural position rather than plug in a guy who played LT in college like a Butler or a Bell (assuming he can bench more than 9) or a FA acquisition? Again, Walker is no more than a stop-gap.

I got to agree with you Leonidas. Butler to LT makes more sense for numerous reasons. It may also help him stay a little more healthy. By that i mean, i you usually dont hear about tackles hurting shoulders, as much as interior guys. I think he only missed three games last year. And none in 2007. But either way. He is younger, quicker, and more athletic then Walker. The right is also the more preffered side to run too . I would rather have my huge tackle on the right, with a big gaurd (Levitre), pushing people out of the way.

You're kidding, right??

First of all, he'd have to lose like 40+. He's listed at 6'6" 365. Second of all, you want a guy to lose 30-40 lbs. to switch to an unnatural position rather than plug in a guy who played LT in college like a Butler or a Bell (assuming he can bench more than 9) or a FA acquisition? Again, Walker is no more than a stop-gap.

I got to agree with you Leonidas. Butler to LT makes more sense for numerous reasons. It may also help him stay a little more healthy. By that i mean, i you usually dont hear about tackles hurting shoulders, as much as interior guys. I think he only missed three games last year. And none in 2007. But either way. He is younger, quicker, and more athletic then Walker. The right is also the more preffered side to run too . I would rather have my huge tackle on the right, with a big gaurd (Levitre), pushing people out of the way.

I agree, but this IS the Bills' coaching staff we're talking about. Not really known for shrewd decision making, if you ask me. My point is this, if they had their heart set on LW playing LT then LW should lode at least 30 to 35 lbs (at least), first.

I'm all for keeping Langston Walker on the Right Side. I'd love to see Demetrius Bell impress the coaching staff and be our starting LT, but that may be overly optimistic, and if not I'd like to see if Butler could make the transition to the Left Side.

Bell is the only real LT prospect the team has. Butler played RT in college across from Ferguson, not LT, and is better suited to play guard at this level. I agree that the best case senario would be to have Bell win the LT spot right out of the gate or halfway through the season. I doubt this'll happen though and would expect to see LW at LT. I don't think they sign another o-linemen as a stop-gap. That would force them to make a decision on who to keep and stunt one of our prospects - most likely Bell - at that position. I think they need to take their lumps in the first half of the season (as far as the o-line is concerned) while trying to play it more conservative and then open up the game plan as the line develops.

No way - Walker isn't the swiftess of players, but he is much quicker than Butler. Butler is stiff as hell. You need a guy there that can get up out of his stance and move left fast if he has to and Butler doesn't do any lateral movement fast.

Yeah, the fact that our QBs could not step up to make throws would certainly have contributed to some of those sacks as well as some of those shots downfield being so off the mark.

:pirate:

Just to have a center that doesn't collapse on the field crying after a DT hits him should help.

One of the more selfish plays I have seen on this team, and I have seen some doozies. B-bye to that. Getting rid of the chess-master at center was the first of many good moves IMO.

Good thread and the optimism is healthy, but nomatter how well you scheme you cannot hide a glaring weakness at LT. Eventually you will be in 3rd and long situations and will need time to scan downfield and throw. I am VERY concerned about those situations. Think about it this way, the Eagles probably had the best short passing game in the league the last few years and they felt that they needed to trade for and pay Peters.... There is just not much you can do without quality blindside protection.

I agree that you cannot hide a weakness at LT, We were weak at LT (certainly in pass protection) last year.

You're kidding, right??

Walker may be a stop gap, but I think he is a pretty fine stop gap. I know Walker is very underrated by Bills fans, but I think he is consistently a better-than-average lineman, wherever he lines up. And, while he might not be the ideal LT I'm betting he mans the position better than Mike Gandy.

Walker isn't in Peters class as an LT, but he could end up being an LT on a better overall line than what the team had last year.

Being stout up the middle allows us to go four wide and still be a rushing threat. Adding Owens to Evans and the rest of our receiving threats [Reed/Parish/Johnson/Hardy], and then piling on a pass-catching TE should leave the middle of the field incredibly vulnerable in certain situations. We might get to see what kind of track stars these whities are!

Why? Because we will have used the pass to setup the run. It sounds like you'd prefer the opposite?

Not trying to bump this thread, but wanted to respond.

I do not believe in run to setup the pass, or pass to setup the run. I believe a team simply has to play to their strength. Now, if that is passing the ball to loosen things up for the run then so be it. Generally teams simply look to see where the safety(s) are playing. My hope is that Trent will recognize coverage better and be able to audible to some better plays when he sees them.

I know that we have a lot of weapons now on offense, and it would be a mistake to ignore them, but since run-blocking is easier than pass protection I would think that the offense would lean heavily on the run in the early going until the youngsters get their feet underneath them. We would still take a couple shots downfield and those shots should be fairly lethal.

If and when the line gels a bit, I would be more in favor of spreading things out and taking the quick drop and hitting intermediate targets. Zone blitzing schemes like the Steelers use, and the Cover 2 are both susceptible to underneath routes (like how Warner nickeled and dimed us to death when we planed Arizona). If you can get the other team to commit a safety to stopping the run, or if you can split the coverage (and avoid the blitz) you can hit the jackpot - anyone that watched the Superbowl will remember Fitzgerald doing that.

I like our weapons. Arizona has two great WRs and they had an average O-Line (god Gandy was horrible at LT), but they were successful because they had a veteran QB who could quickly read coverages and hit the open man. I think that we now have two really good WRs, we have a line that could be as good - if not better than Arizona's (given time), and we have a better group of running backs. The biggest question mark is Edwards.

Too many times last year he would start games horribly slow and off the mark - it wasn't like the plays were not there for the taking, he was just more inaccurate at the start of games. He had a penchant for warming up and playing stronger in the 3rd and 4th quarter, but we need him to start stronger. Edwards also was not seeing the whole field, and in this area I think that Owens will force him to not only lock onto the Evans side of the field and then check down, but he will also have to check off to the deep side that Owens is playing.

I have seen some horrible predictions, and heck in the division that we play in we could get crushed, but we all saw a team like the Dolphins turn things around last year with a very average cast - who knows?

We don't have the coach Miami has or the Tuna as a GM, but our coaches are smart enough to copy the game plans that Parcells and Co. create when going up against the Pats. If we can beat the Patriots or even split with them, that would take away a couple automatic losses that we have accrued for longer than I care to remember.

I will gladly put on my rose colored glasses at least till I see how this new hand of cards plays out with all the new components.

Walker may be a stop gap, but I think he is a pretty fine stop gap. I know Walker is very underrated by Bills fans, but I think he is consistently a better-than-average lineman, wherever he lines up. And, while he might not be the ideal LT I'm betting he mans the position better than Mike Gandy.

Walker isn't in Peters class as an LT, but he could end up being an LT on a better overall line than what the team had last year.

I agree. If Walker drops just a bit of weight he should be even better than last year and I'm just hoping that Butler can step in at RT. Combining that with a greatly improved interior, assuming Wood plays to his potential at LG and Levitre plays well at RG and I think we can all agree that basically anyone is better at C than Fowler or Preston, we should have a capable line next year. The O-line was one of my primary concerns going into the draft but I'm feeling ok about it now...

With the infusion of attitude on the O-Line we may finally be able to run the ball successfully. The question remains though, if we are running the ball down the other teams throat does the brain trust suddenly get cute and start throwing the ball?? Of course I would change my mind if they hit Evans or Owens deep because the other team was crowding the line :doh:

I give the Bills organization KUDOS for what they do the best run a buisness which is to sell merchandise and seats and have some sponsorship.

However, I do not share this renewed optimisim that most of the fanbase seems to be sharing atlest not for the upcoming season. I am very concerned about the OL and retooling it with inexperience to provide blocking for a slightly off QB who is also prone to injury. You think he played scared last year after his injury think what he will do if this line doesnt hold up its blocks through the game. If thats not bad enough think about the hit his psyche will take once hes bnot able to get the ball to TO because hes to scared to wit until he has a shot and dups it to the closest reciever.

I also dont like the pick up of domiick rhodes heas a big back but to me hes more of a FB then a HB hes slow but a bruiser and has good hands if he can balock then he can be used as a FB option whcih will get him on the field more but Freddy is soo much better then he is. Hopefully its only stop gap.

I aslo dont see DJ changing anything hes going to continue with the play to not lose mentality which in his case ends up losing 57% of the time. The game is already 50/50 to win or lose show some initiative and play to the teams strengths and set the tone and pace of the game this is the only reason we lack turn overs is becuase the opponet is alasy the one dictating our defense and offense if he wants to be succesful it needs to change.

The backup situation is no better tha it was last season so i feel even worse then i did last year about WHEN trent goes down to me its not an IF.

I do see a mild improvement in the defense but we will still be hurting without a true starting LOLB unless someone other then ellison can step up an show something spectactular.

I dont see schoebel playig the whole season he will have the season ending surgery on his foot that he should have gotten last year then it would ahve been different.

Nelslon and To sound like improvements to the O but can we trus the OC to design the plays to utilize this area of strength? Can we trust Trent to get the ball to TO or LEE if their 10 yards out with pressur in his face.

Personally I ahve to wait until preseason to see if I am going to ahve any renewed optimisim becuase as it stands right now 7-9 is the best we will be and that doesnt make me optimistic. I will watch and STRONGLY HOPE my team can prove me wrong as i do every season. Until then I am reserving emotions hurts less when I am expecting 7-9 then when I am hoping for the playoffs especially after I finally started coming around after the 6-2 start and said ok this team is proving me wrong only to be proven PAINFULLY right that just sucked!!!!

No way - Walker isn't the swiftess of players, but he is much quicker than Butler. Butler is stiff as hell. You need a guy there that can get up out of his stance and move left fast if he has to and Butler doesn't do any lateral movement fast.

Not arguing with you, just wondering what you're baseing this off of? I've said it before, i personally have a tough time focusing on the O-Line while watching a game. Butler seemed to be pretty solid at the guard position and was hoping he could slide out to RT allowing the young draftees to man the interior. Hate to have someone "stiff as hell" playing even right tackle for us!

You guys do realize that the reason Walker gave up so few sacks was because we virtually always kept a TE or RB in to block on the right side and left the left to be manned by Peters alone. Walker may be the best of our bad options at LT though, except we will probably have to do the same thing on the left side this year instead of the right, and hope to God that whomever is at RT can hold a block.

You guys do realize that the reason Walker gave up so few sacks was because we virtually always kept a TE or RB in to block on the right side and left the left to be manned by Peters alone. Walker may be the best of our bad options at LT though, except we will probably have to do the same thing on the left side this year instead of the right, and hope to God that whomever is at RT can hold a block.

Uh...yeah. I'm waiting to see what this lauded Shawn Nelson kid will show...

Uh...yeah. I'm waiting to see what this lauded Shawn Nelson kid will show...

One thing is, we're really going to have a lot of weapons. So we could keep, say, Nelson in to block, send Marshawn or Freddie out on a pattern, and then have Nelson release to get one of Trent's patented dump offs. Chances are, because of Owens, there is not going to be an extra guy just hanging around waiting to make a tackle but will be pre-occupied with Evans or Owens or Reed.

The most important coach in the organization this year may be Turk Shonert rather than Dick Jauron. If Turk can exploit some favorable match-ups, which we are bound to have, the offense could be very explosive. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of confidence in him to do that.