Round 1, Pick 11: AARON MAYBIN, DE, Penn State

guess Ill give myself a pat on the back for this one

amazed reading through this how many people actually thought it was a good pick

one year wonders rarely work out in the NFL

At the risk of elevating Bill Parcells to the Mt. Olympus of the NFL, wasn't he one of those guys who wanted his draft picks to have a 3-year college record at the minimum. That seems to make a whole lot of sense to me.

At the risk of elevating Bill Parcells to the Mt. Olympus of the NFL, wasn't he one of those guys who wanted his draft picks to have a 3-year college record at the minimum. That seems to make a whole lot of sense to me.

I know he at least thought that way about QBs but makes sense he would think that about all players

Instead of Whitner, McCargo and Maybin the Bills could have had Ngata, Mangold and Oher....WTF I just depressed myself

Id like to see a thread from when Jauron was hired and see how many people liked that....worst head coach since Rich Kotite, just awful

Edited by Max997

I know he at least thought that way about QBs but makes sense he would think that about all players

Instead of Whitner, McCargo and Maybin the Bills could have had Ngata, Mangold and Oher....WTF I just depressed myself

Id like to see a thread from when Jauron was hired and see how many people liked that....worst head coach since Rich Kotite, just awful

Although the TBD search function is clumsy and primitive, I saw a few threads that resemble the Maybin draft threads: some folks thought he was the saviour who would lead us to the promised land, and a greater number who said WTF?

The great thing about the 2009 posts is they show that the majority of the posters on a Bills fan board knew better than the "professionals" at OBD. And it was not the first time, by a long shot. This is not rocket science. It takes a special strain of incompetence to accomplish what's been done OBD in the past decade.

The great thing about the 2009 posts is they show that the majority of the posters on a Bills fan board knew better than the "professionals" at OBD. And it was not the first time, by a long shot. This is not rocket science. It takes a special strain of incompetence to accomplish what's been done OBD in the past decade.

+ 100 So sad, yet so true :wallbash:

Funny to see who has always been a homer and who could call a spade a spade. Very insightful on some current posters...

Yah, big shock that the Big Cat approved of the pick...

Indeed. And this is a point Mike Schope - everyone's favorite whipping boy has pointed out. For as much as fans are prone to hyperbole, it is totally 100% accurate that the franchise would be better off today had the average know-nothing armchair fan been functioning as GM for the last ten years. Ralph is so concerned about $, yet think about how much he's wasted on his front office (salary, flights, paid hotels/meals/expenses) when Joe in South Buffalo could've just used Kiper's board and made better picks. Maybe he wouldn't have drafted Kyle Williams and maybe he still would've drafted Mike Williams, but this is one among many many awful moves that would not have happened. It's a joke.

Edited by BuffOrange

Yes I recall the stink you made about that pick. Some of the funniest draft meltdownery in TBD history

That really isn't applicable. We could have drafted Daryl Green with that pick and he still would have made a stink about it. The quality of the player is irrelevant to Bill.

That really isn't applicable. We could have drafted Daryl Green with that pick and he still would have made a stink about it. The quality of the player is irrelevant to Bill.

To be fair this is the moment when he was drafted and the collective response of the board:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/45867-official-nfl-draft-day-2006-thread/page__view__findpost__p__674457

It wasn't just Bill.

I would like to see the thread after Whitner was drafted. ;)

I hated the Whitner pick as well. You dont reach for an undersized safety when you cant stop the run and a stud DT is sitting there

Ngata was as obvious a pick as Marcel was this year

then the trade up for McCargo, even worse

seriously, most of the posters on this board would have done better then the Bills front office, thats sad

haha; I thought the same thing.

I also liked how everyone questioned Maybin's weight from day 1. Two years later, the FO finally realized he's too skinny??

One of my other favorites was "He's young, he'll gain weight."

Yeah, that worked out well...

Ngata was as obvious a pick as Marcel was this year

then the trade up for McCargo, even worse

Worse than that, they traded up for McCargo with Mangold still sitting there.

How much different does this team look with Ngata, Oher, and Mangold instead of Whitner, Maybin, and McCargo?

Friggin' BILLS.

To be fair this is the moment when he was drafted and the collective response of the board:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/45867-official-nfl-draft-day-2006-thread/page__view__findpost__p__674457

It wasn't just Bill.

You missed the entire point.

The collective response was due to the drafting of Donte Whitner specifically. Bill's response was due to the drafting of a DB - regardless of who that player was. Big difference.

I got "the Business" when we drafted Maybin and I said that his last name sounded too much like "Maybe"...but I understand that all of us were desperate to see a pass rush, but desperate moves translate into bad teams.

It was a tongue and cheek comment so I was just begging to get flamed considering the collective mood of most everyone here at the time - it's not like I was was happy watching opposing QBs sitting back there untouched for 6-7 seconds the prior year, but I did feel that Aaron was a huge risk for a coach on the bubble. There was a good body of evidence from talent evaluators I actually respect that felt Maybin's one good year at Penn was a flash in the pan and his physical attributes did not warrant a high draft pick and he would project in the NFL as a tweener.

That pick and the situation reminded me a bit of the Corey Moore pick out of VT when the team was looking for an edge rusher in 2000, but I thought that Moore was a better risk where he was selected in the 3rd and it was hard to ignore his 30+ sacks his final two seasons at Tech and to this day I think he would have been ok at linebacker if given the right situation (had similar attributes to our current Moats). Ancient history at this point, he was given a shot with the Bills and with the Dolphins and washed out - he is probably flipping burgers somewhere.

The Maybin pick reflected what most of us saw as a pattern of reaching for potential in each draft rather than making solid picks - many times trading up to the first round to reach for a position of need. The other Jauron-Era annoyance was his fascination with lightweight linemen and linebackers with high motors :wallbash:

I don't think any of us are shedding any tears as Nix jettisons the garbage, and the team moves on. I like where this team is heading draft-wise now sans Modrak.

If you take a look at this article below it could of been possible that Maybin juiced before the combine to gain that extra 25lbs of muscle to improve his draft position. Its nearly impossible to gain 25lbs of our muscle without a little help. I have been weightlifting for over 17 years so I am not talking out of my #$%@.

I still can't believe our scouting department could not see that this was possible at the time and drafted him anyway.

http://blog.pennlive.com/pasports/2009/03/aaron_maybins_physical_transfo.html

Can you say HGH !!! I don't think he ever really wanted to be a Bill i wish him luck & i think it should be a rule that who ever the coach was that drafted him should be made to pick him up & pay him out of his salary for 2 years seeing as Jauron screwed the Bills so bad & got 2 pay checks for 2 to 3 years after he screwed up so bad !!

If you take a look at this article below it could of been possible that Maybin juiced before the combine to gain that extra 25lbs of muscle to improve his draft position. Its nearly impossible to gain 25lbs of our muscle without a little help. I have been weightlifting for over 17 years so I am not talking out of my #$%@.

I still can't believe our scouting department could not see that this was possible at the time and drafted him anyway.

http://blog.pennlive.com/pasports/2009/03/aaron_maybins_physical_transfo.html

Why didn't you predict this and warn everyone???

I am not going to go back through and read that whole thing...but I was a big Maybin supporter......I didnt do my homework on this pick like a should have and we really did need pass rush on the team.....

We reached....I was wrong....horribly wrong. The pick should have been Michael Oher

Why should you have done homework on something you can't influence anyways?

I didn't do my homework on that draft. The Bills chose without my input and Aaron Maybin stunk regardless of any pre-conceived notion I had of him.

Very funny Mr. Flowers :)

What really drives me crazy is how the Bills scouts and coaches did not even see that this could of been the story with his sudden weight gain. Anyone with exp knows that if you gain 25lbs in 2 months of pure muscle something fishy is going on. To add to that as soon as you stop juicing you lose almost all that weight. I truly believe he did it to get a payday.

Horrible the Bills (DJ) fell for this.

Another example is Brian Cushing. There was evidence that he juiced throughout high school and college and no one cared. Texans draft him and he has a great season. Next off season he gets caught for a masking agent HCG (hormone only found in pregnant woman) and has not been able to stay on the field with nagging injuries.