Mike Williams Comeback Tour 2009

I'm sure at this point he could be had at a small price, at least to come in and show he wants to play. It can't hurt considering what we have open on the line. And he can compete with any other new faces we bring in.

I'm sure at this point he could be had at a small price, at least to come in and show he wants to play. It can't hurt considering what we have open on the line. And he can compete with any other new faces we bring in.

Are you kidding?

Seriously....sign him to a minimum contract with incentives. Nothing to lose...Williams vs a no-name street free agent. He knows the team, the area, etc.... Oh the irony. That would be great.

You could make the arguement that he OWES us -if only for him being 'financially secure'.. :lol: .

Odd that he's tight with Dockery and was replaced 'by a converted TE'.. :)

You know what would really stink? If the guy comes back, gets on with the Cowboys, and makes the Pro Bowl like the rest of their players because it's a popularity vote because he actually decides to dedicate himself to the game and try to be the best possible player he can :lol:

fixed

Seriously....sign him to a minimum contract with incentives. Nothing to lose...Williams vs a no-name street free agent. He knows the team, the area, etc.... Oh the irony. That would be great.

I agree. If he's in shape enough to make it through camp, keep him around at the minimum and see if he's got anything left in him. Maybe working in the real world (and probably spending all his money) has sobered him up some, and he actually has something to play for now.

Comedy writers for David Lettermen could not have been funnier then this paragraph from the article, titled "No Excuses"

No excuses

Williams offered no excuses for his Buffalo years but he did say it wasn't easy playing for three different line coaches in his four seasons as well as two different head coaches. And maybe, he said, thinking he had to carry the hopes and dreams of a franchise on his large but relatively young 22-year-old back had been a bit overwhelming. "But I was a professional and as a professional they expect you to adjust."

:lol::)

Allow me to re-write that paragraph with just a hint of honesty included:

EXCUSES

Williams offered the following excuses as to why he sucked so much during his Bills' years:

1) It was hard to play football. (Despite who was coaching him)

2) He was too lazy and immature at 22 years old to even try to live up to his high expectations.

Ohh nice, he is shacking up with another under achieving ex Longhorn/Bill. I hope these to all stars aren't sharing trade secrets.

I can see there work out regimen now:

8 a.m. - 10 a.m. - Breakfast at Shoneys

10 a.m. - 12 p.m. - Watch a movie

12 p.m. - 2 p.m. - Back to Shoneys for lunch

2 p.m. - 4 p.m. - Nap

4 p.m. - 4:05- Hose self off to give the illusion of sweat

Say what you like but id bet he coulda been better than Peters last year... In fact... Id rather have Williams at 200K than Peters at 10M

How could he have been better sitting on the bench with a bad back?? :lol:

PUNCH!

PUNCH!

I wonder if he could play guard?

I wonder if he could play at all.

Ohh nice, he is shacking up with another under achieving ex Longhorn/Bill. I hope these to all stars aren't sharing trade secrets.

I can see there work out regimen now:

8 a.m. - 10 a.m. - Breakfast at Shoneys

10 a.m. - 12 p.m. - Watch a movie

12 p.m. - 2 p.m. - Back to Shoneys for lunch

2 p.m. - 4 p.m. - Nap

4 p.m. - 4:05- Hose self off to give the illusion of sweat

:lol: It's funny 'cause it's true!

Say what you like but id bet he coulda been better than Peters last year... In fact... Id rather have Williams at 200K than Peters at 10M

PUNCH!

Edit to add about Williams in Buffalo; Link

per Dallas Morning News: 'Williams offered no excuses for his Buffalo years but he did say it wasn't easy playing for three different line coaches in his four seasons as well as two different head coaches. And maybe, he said, thinking he had to carry the hopes and dreams of a franchise on his large but relatively young 22-year-old back had been a bit overwhelming.

You've got to be kidding me!!!! Carrying the hopes of the franchise??!! He's blaming coaching changes on his inability to be motivated enough to play hard, "want it" and be nasty on the field. At the very least he is too nice to play pro football - he has all the tools, but coupled with a complete lack of desire, he couldn't cut it then and he probably can't cutr it now (based on the silliness of this article).

He must be out of money.

:thumbsup: That's what I was thinking too, nucci. Even though the article says he's fine financially he could be realizing that THE VERY LAST YEARS of pulling a yearly income of more than 500k a year are going to disappear shortly so he better get on track.

Sometimes being out of the league humbles the once hyped players, and they begin to truly work for what they want, but don't have. I remember Tony Mandarich came back as a pretty good guard with the Colts, once he was out of the league for a while and realized he would never live the life he thought he would. It looks like reality has set into Williams. I'd definitely look into him to play guard, but the injury history is the biggest point of focus IMO.

Tough call - the guy had the talent, and I wouldn't totally write him off. Let's face it, there's a lot of immature players coming out of college. Some of them stay that way into retirement and beyond, but some of them do get their heads on straight after a few years....I'd love it if he was interested in trying to kick-restart his career with the Bills, but I doubt it happens. FO wouldn't want to get burned twice, and not all fans would be so forgiving.

He'll probably sign with NE, MIA or NYJ and become a pro-bowler!

This is crazy thinking, I suspect all of the hard core members here will be busting on me hard for this, but I'm a layman psychologist - at least I get into the aspects of motivation - and I would like to see this experiment unfold.

Mike Williams retired after playing very little for the Jaguars, and we all know what a bust he was for us... but, I read an article just now stating that he took some time off, and got healthy, and is now back down to his old playing weight, and is looking to take off another 20 lbs, putting him at around 345 lbs. His back is healed and he's been working out with none other than Derrick Dockery. When he left Buffalo, he said he didn't want to make excuses, But that he thought having two different HC's and two or three different Line Coaches and systems did detract from his play. Then, in Jacksonville, he got injured.

Still, he was a beast in college, and certainly knows how to play the position, and has unique physical attributes. Here are some big IF's. If he could keep his weight down, and stay in shape, and bust his give it his all in practice and really crave excellence, then he might be able, still, to be good. He seemed a pretty intelligent person, and mature, in his comments during the interview. I believe some guys get a taste of failure, and live for a while as most of us do - that is having to work our butts off to get by - or, in his case, living a relatively normal life, then he might have truly grown to understand how fortunate he was five, six years ago, and be ready to redeem himself. So, why not give him a chance at absolute minimum pay with minimum commitment, and see what he can do? We'd lose nothing and perhaps gain... or even send a trainer or scout out to see him.

I wonder if he could play guard?

Mouse thought that could be his position- but the Bills thought he was making too much money to play Guard- Just remember I guy who sucks for 5mil is a valued underdog at 500,000- If Kelsay was a backup making a mil he'd be loved but as a starter making 5mil he's a dog.