Can't tackle a QB by the legs now

Fingon

Tom Brady hasn't even thrown a pass in his comeback, and he's already affected change for the 2009 NFL season.

In part because of the season-ending left knee injury that Brady suffered in the Patriots' 2008 season opener against the Chiefs, the league's Competition Committee adopted a clarification of the current rule on hits to a quarterback in the knee area or below. The clarification specifically prohibits a defender on the ground who hasn't been blocked or fouled directly into the quarterback from lunging or diving at the quarterback's lower legs.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...tect_qbs_knees/

Is it even football anymore?

I'm actually ok with this rule. You can still try to take the QB down when you are on the ground, you just can't lunge at his knees. I will be really pissed if they crack down even more on defensive backs hitting receivers like they say they might. Big hits are part of the game. Fear and toughness are parts of the game. If it is not helmet to helmet, I don't see what is wrong with cleaning a guy's clock who is coming over the middle. But I guess that is just the ex-player in me speaking...

Terrible rule. It's as much a part of the game as any other hit.

It's funny that Kraft wasn't pushing for this when Wilfork did it to Losman just 1 year before.

I didn't read the whole article, does it say that it's a 15yd personal foul penalty?

I'm actually ok with this rule. You can still try to take the QB down when you are on the ground, you just can't lunge at his knees. I will be really pissed if they crack down even more on defensive backs hitting receivers like they say they might. Big hits are part of the game. Fear and toughness are parts of the game. If it is not helmet to helmet, I don't see what is wrong with cleaning a guy's clock who is coming over the middle. But I guess that is just the ex-player in me speaking...

I notice the NFL didn't care much when Wilfork lunged at JP...but, I guess that is to be expected.

As for big hits, I agree...but defensive players need to start learning to TACKLE again, and not just launch themselves. I'll take good tackling, over huge hits, any day.

We'll probably see it called for the first time when a Bills rusher tackles Brady in the first game. What if they dive at the QB and trip him with a hand on the ankle and he bangs his knee on the ground, will that be a penalty? What's the dividing line between a below knee tackle and a penalty?

So disgusting pig Wilfork is OK to lunge after Losman's legs and nobody in the NFL blinks an eye. Someone does it to wittle tommy bwady who plays for the New England Cheaters & Liars, and there's a rule change.

I hate New England. They can suck my butt.

I notice the NFL didn't care much when Wilfork lunged at JP...but, I guess that is to be expected.

As for big hits, I agree...but defensive players need to start learning to TACKLE again, and not just launch themselves. I'll take good tackling, over huge hits, any day.

Agreed on the lost art of tackling, but this should be called the 'Carson Palmer Rule'.. The problem I see with this is that Brady and Palmer stepped forward during their release -right into the player on the ground. Tough call there, IMO. Wilfork, on the other hand, cheap shot J.P.

We'll probably see it called for the first time when a Bills rusher tackles Brady in the first game. What if they dive at the QB and trip him with a hand on the ankle and he bangs his knee on the ground, will that be a penalty? What's the dividing line between a below knee tackle and a penalty?

I'm wondering the same thing. What if the defender wraps the QB up by the waist but then has to bring him down by the knees?

There's so many variables to this that it's going to be very tough to get a straight call and a straight understanding on whats legal or illegal.

does this include the QB getting flushed out and tripped up from behind by a diving defender?

My biggest issue is, unless this is clarified to be very specific, it is another rule that officials use at their discretion, and invariably seem to pull out when the game means something, and Pats* (for example) are in danger of losing.

BTW, I don't think it is a conspiracy, or planned...but, I think it happens.

Agreed on the lost art of tackling, but this should be called the 'Carson Palmer Rule'.. The problem I see with this is that Brady and Palmer stepped forward during their release -right into the player on the ground. Tough call there, IMO. Wilfork, on the other hand, cheap shot J.P.

Yeah, I love how this rule only comes out after Brady gets hurt. But the Pats* don't have the league in their back pocket. :thumbsup:

There is no rule for when an offensive lineman "cleans up" a pile slightly after the whistle by diving into a defensive player's legs (a guy he may outweigh by over 100 pounds) after that same defender has stopped playing.

Putting in rules that make it illegal to tackle a QB with a hit that is not more than 3.2cm above the top of the knee cap don't really "protect the QB" anyway. They just make the game harder to officiate and that in turn makes the officiating more uneven. The unlevel officiating affects the illusion of fairness and for some makes the game less enjoyable to watch. You know going in that a team like New England is going to benefit from a "tuck rule" while another team is going to have calls go against them because, as John Madden puts it, "well, everyone knows bad teams get more calls going against them." If they really want to protect the players, they need to do away with hitting and tackling altogether and turn the game into touch "patty cakes" football.

Yeah, I love how this rule only comes out after Brady gets hurt. But the Pats* don't have the league in their back pocket. :thumbsup:

Probably the only owner who has ever had the league rules re-written twice (this & the tuck rule) to save his pu$$y QB some face.

i would love to see how many times a defense has been flagged for Roughing The Passer against Brady, vs. defenses flagged against other teams less marketable. And also Roughing The Passer penalties against the Patriots.

It seems on the surface, there is a ton going for the Pats and it doesnt seem like Brady gets a rougher ride tan anyone else. When they arent flagged for it, Brady cries to the refs and gets away with a tantrum.

With a puke like Wilfork around, you would think the Pats would get more flags than the opponents.

QB sneak, DT shoots low under the interior lineman, hits QB at the ankle, gets 15 yard penalty. QB rolling out, LB chases, takes diving swipe at feet of QB, gets 15 yard penalty. QB in pocket, DL on ground reaches up for QB, wraps arms around QB's legs at the knees, 15 yard penalty.

Could be a very ugly rule.

There go about 3/4 of Kelsay and Schoebel's sacks, b/c most of the time when they do get anywhere near a QB, they're crawling on all fours and grabbing at their feet. Form-tackle sacks by either are rare.

I think this renders heavy investment of talent into the DL down a notch. Why pick up an elite DE or DT when the league is moving toward play where the QB can't be touched? Combine that with the ever-increasing wave of enforcement of PI. They're taking defense out of the game.

Better to invest in your offense, especially when you have one that is anything below-par like ours.

does this include the QB getting flushed out and tripped up from behind by a diving defender?

The clarification specifically prohibits a defender on the ground who hasn't been blocked or fouled directly into the quarterback from lunging or diving at the quarterback's lower legs.

So the ball is on the 2 yard line and the QB runs a naked bootleg and the only way to take him down is by taking a swipe at his lower leg. Is that a penalty?

I sure hope not....

This is the problem with making such modifications. The kind of hits that inspire rule changes like this are the hit on Brady (of course), but also the hit on Carson Palmer in the playoffs: QB stands in the pocket, starts throwing, DL is down.. crawls and lunges at the knee. If they are going to have this rule, that should be the only use for it... once the QB begins running out of the pocket the rule should be moot.

I sure hope not....

This is the problem with making such modifications. The kind of hits that inspire rule changes like this are the hit on Brady (of course), but also the hit on Carson Palmer in the playoffs: QB stands in the pocket, starts throwing, DL is down.. crawls and lunges at the knee. If they are going to have this rule, that should be the only use for it... once the QB begins running out of the pocket the rule should be moot.

If you read the article, that's what it says. It only is in effect when the QB has both feet on the ground.

A simple reading of the rule would eliminate 3/4 of the posts on this thread.

Terrible rule. It's as much a part of the game as any other hit.

It's funny that Kraft wasn't pushing for this when Wilfork did it to Losman just 1 year before.

I didn't read the whole article, does it say that it's a 15yd personal foul penalty?

It's the league of double standards.

If you read the article, that's what it says. It only is in effect when the QB has both feet on the ground.

Do you really think that it's going to be as cut & dry as "he had both feet on the ground"?

Thanks for that. I did not read the article, but had hoped that the rule was written that way. It will be interesting to see how that enforcement proceeds... if they stick to the letter, this is merely an extension of what it means to "rough the passer." What used to mean just a hard hit/blow to the head (unless you are Mike Vrabel in the Super Bowl, of course...) now extends to hits at the legs, where the QB is at least as vulnerable after throwing.

If they want to make rules like this that limit contact on a quarterback, then they need a rule that the quarterback is down when he is touch by both hands. Ahem...sadly, I am suggesting the only way to make this rule fair is to implement 2-hand touch into the NFL....what a sad day. Personally I feel like if you are going to sit there and deliberately try to run the score up as much as possible game after game you should *expect* somebody to break your effing kneecaps. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens to Brady again at some point this season, because nobody appreciates being humiliated after the game is already way out of reach. I think the NFL is still mad because their "more points = more money" marketing scheme got blown to pieces against the Giants by what? D-FENCE ch ch D-FENCE ch ch!

Also this rule is an insult to the integrity and accomplishments of the Great QBs of yore who actually had to worry about being violently sacked. Now Brady will continue to pad his stats and generations to come will think he's better than the likes of Dan Marino and Joe Montana and Johnny-U. He's a great QB but lets face it he gets all the credit for his team being remarkably solid from top to bottom. Matt Cassel last year proved this beyond most doubt, and when he sucks to epic levels with the chiefs the rest of the doubt will be gone. To suggest Brady is better than Peyton Manning is a travesty, much less that he is the best of all time.