McGargo to Colts for a draft pick

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx Marv. :angry:

Exactly. Not so much.

The thing I don't like is, for only getting a 4th, what if the Bills end up competing with Colts for a Wild Card

spot, and McCan'tGo actually helps them?!?

Well at least they made a move to improve this team - in 2009. Ridiculous.

How is it ridiculous to recognize a lazy player and a drafting mistake and unload him while he still has value in hopes of further developing a young team in the future via the draft?! :angry:

You can't only live and view the present. Management has their eyes toward the future as well. I for one am glad that we have a F.O. with the insight to make this type move.

Yup. A fourth round pick, in exchange for a fat DT, a 2nd and 3rd (that we used to get him), and a 3rd and 5th (that we used to get Stroud).

Coach, I understand what you were saying about the lack of DTs, but in this case there may have been no choice. The DL coach was complaining about him and really, if he wasn't picked in round 1, would he still be on the team? I mean, he didn't even suit up for the opener!

What we need to hope is that Stroud stays healthy, and that Jauron will see fit to use this, and other early picks on positions of dire need, such as DT, OC, and TE.

How is it ridiculous to recognize a lazy player and a drafting mistake and unload him while he still has value in hopes of further developing a young team in the future via the draft?! :angry:

You can't only live and view the present. Management has their eyes toward the future as well. I for one am glad that we have a F.O. with the insight to make this type move.

Although I agree with the principle, I think it hurts our depth too much. Any other position, maybe. But at DT, we're now an injury away from disaster. And I don't agree that any street free agent is at least equal to McCargo. He knew the system and we know he has some talent, he just doesn't always use it. It's just a dangerous thing to do with an already thin position IMO.

Coach, I understand what you were saying about the lack of DTs, but in this case there may have been no choice. The DL coach was complaining about him and really, if he wasn't picked in round 1, would he still be on the team? I mean, he didn't even suit up for the opener!

What we need to hope is that Stroud stays healthy, and that Jauron will see fit to use this, and other early picks on positions of dire need, such as DT, OC, and TE.

I hear you. He must have REALLY pissed someone off (and repeatedly) for them to move him, given how thin they are at the position. That's the only thing I can think of.

Exactly. Not so much.

The thing I don't like is, for only getting a 4th, what if the Bills end up competing with Colts for a Wild Card

spot, and McCan'tGo actually helps them?!?

That would be the worst case scenario. What if McCargo goes to Indy, turns it on and becomes a perennial Pro-bowler? Can you say :angry::angry::) !!!!

You are right on this of course.....

Every team busts....but it is unfortunate because McCargo actually showed signs of becoming a good player....

Then....something happened. Who knows what.

Maybe now we get to see what Chris Ellis brings to the team.

Although I agree with the principle, I think it hurts our depth too much. Any other position, maybe. But at DT, we're now an injury away from disaster. And I don't agree that any street free agent is at least equal to McCargo. He knew the system and we know he has some talent, he just doesn't always use it. It's just a dangerous thing to do with an already thin position IMO.

I agree with you on this point...But I'm sure they considered this and hopefully have an alternative plan in place in case.

I still remember when the Bills tarded back into the first round of the 2006 first round. I thought for sure the move was for Nick Mangold because at the time there was a lot of talk of us drafting a Center. To be honest I haven't heard or seen much of Mangold to evaluate him, but looking back on it I wished they would have selected him instead. Hindsight is always 20/20. BTW anyone care to comment on how Mangold has been doing?

I still remember when the Bills tarded back into the first round of the 2006 first round. I thought for sure the move was for Nick Mangold because at the time there was a lot of talk of us drafting a Center. To be honest I haven't heard or seen much of Mangold to evaluate him, but looking back on it I wished they would have selected him instead. Hindsight is always 20/20. BTW anyone care to comment on how Mangold has been doing?

I'm betting at least better than Fowler :angry:

Getting a fourth round pick for McCargo is a blessing. The bills are a hard working blue collar team. McCargo had talent, but his work ethic had to make him an outcast in the locker room. The shocking part of the trade was the compensation. The bills did very well to get a fourth. It is better to admit to your mistake, and make the best of the situation, than hold out hope that McCargo will finally play like a probowler.

Yup. A fourth round pick, in exchange for a fat DT, a 2nd and 3rd (that we used to get the fat DT), and a 3rd and 5th (that we used to get Stroud because the fat DT didn't pan out).

And you would have complained if Bills didn't trade him for that compensation because he is a lazy, no talent player. When is the audition for WGR?

That's it? :angry: I had my heart set on getting at least a 3rd.

Really? Who would trade a third-round pick for someone who hasn't seen the field? McCargo is a bust, I'm suprised we got something for him. Maybe we should have thrown this 4th and a 3rd at KC...of course that would mean making an effort to improve.

Another (half is glass full) way to view this is: The Bills also selected Kyle Williams in the 5th round of the same draft. So, we got a starting DT out of the draft (although our 5th instead of 1st round selection). But reglardless, we got a starting DT. So we essentially wash a 5th rounder for a 4th next year. :angry:

Wish we got a 3rd!

that's it?
That's it? :( I had my heart set on getting at least a 3rd.

You're kidding, right? Anything more than a 6th rounder should legally be considered theft. The guy was rated as a 3rd rounder by a lot of people coming out of college, has accomplished nothing since being drafted, didn't even dress opening day, has hardly been able to find playing time this year on a team that stresses DL rotation as much as anyone else in the league, and has done absolutely nothing with what snaps he has been given.

Now I understand why they were willing to go so thin at DT for the moment. They STOLE a 4th rounder from Polian here. Kudos, Brandon/Jauron.

The colts play the pack next week.

Your theory just got trashed.

Sox forces timely and accurate disclosure. The word "timely" is one that is subject to interpretation. IMO, the NFL, Bills and Colts are walking a fine line here for reporting an hour or two late. In the other thread, people were claiming that trades might be reported the next day. That is in no way timely and the Feds would be all over it. A couple of hours late may still be considered timely, but since Polian worked for the Bills at one time, there will be worries about collusion.

The Packers being public really doesn't come into play. Like I said before, the NFL is considered a public company because of their anti-trust exemption and must comply. The Packers are merely one of 33 holy owned subsidiaries consisting of the 32 teams and the administrative functions of the league.

McCargo is a lazy piece of :( who was given plenty of chances to contribute. Getting a 4th round pick out of Polian for the guy is great. Honestly, he had the potential to be a straight up cut if we kept him until the offseason.

The fact we got Kyle Williams in the same draft, and he has done very well makes this somewhat more palatable.