Boston columnist hits Pats fans where it hurts

Golden Wheels

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/opinion/c...amp;format=text

What’s with this bereavement thing, just because Hollywood Tom Brady got hurt?

The reaction around here to Brady’s mishap has been so over the top, the only thing missing has been the deployment of grief counselors at local sports bars. Have they posted a sign yet on the Sagamore Bridge, saying “Suicide Is Not the Answer - No. 12 Will Be Back in 2009. Order Your DirecTV NFL Total Package Now.”

It’s a good thing Brady wrecked his knee on the field and not in an auto accident somewhere. Can you imagine what the size of that roadside memorial would have been? Every fat loser in New England would be unsteadily rising from the couch in his mom’s basement. It would have been like a funeral procession to the scene of the tragedy, where they would all be draping their XXX-L No. 12 Patriots sweatshirts over the thousands of candles, teddy bears and empty 40-ouncers.

and then there's this

It’s amazing to see how fast a bandwagon can stop in its tracks. At 1 p.m. Sunday this was the most asked question in New England:

“Do you think WE can go undefeated again this year?”

Three hours later, this was the number-one question in the Land of the Front Runners:

“What are THEY going to do now?”

"Every fat loser in New England would be unsteadily rising from the couch in his mom’s basement. It would have been like a funeral procession to the scene of the tragedy, where they would all be draping their XXX-L No. 12 Patriots sweatshirts over the thousands of candles, teddy bears and empty 40-ouncers."

:lol: Awesome.

I know, Tom Brady is a role model. He knocked up his girlfriend, then abandoned her for the supermodel. No wonder you want your kid to wear his jersey. No wonder you want to put his team’s flag up in front of your house, in case anyone in the neighborhood was wondering who you were rooting for.

F.T.W.

Howie Carr isn't going to lose his job. He's an institution at the Herald and has his own radio show. He's the only one in town that has the nerve to call out the get-a-lifers. If he gets hundreds of nasty comments posted, that means hundreds of hits for their web site.

That is a GREAT column. EVERYONE NEEDS to click on the link and read the whole thing. The little snippets here are funny, btu the whole pacakge is a MUST-READ. Besides, if we want to help the guy keep his job, we need to give his article a lot of hits.

Here is the link again so you don't have to scroll all the way back up: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/opinion/c...amp;format=text

Nice article!!

I liked this response :lol: :

"Howie, you nailed it. Everything you said, is right on the money. Especially about the so-called "genius" Bill Belicheck. He's been riding Brady's back, the whole time. Wait till we get to all really see, how much he sucks as a coach, over the coming months."

As a Bills Devotee living in *Pats fan hell(Boston), this is great to hear. I'm only wondering how long it takes for the resulting uproar to cost this reporter, honest as he is, his job.

Howie Carr? Not likely... He revels in stirring stuff up.

Howie Carr isn't going to lose his job. He's an institution at the Herald and has his own radio show. He's the only one in town that has the nerve to call out the get-a-lifers. If he gets hundreds of nasty comments posted, that means hundreds of hits for their web site.

He is not any more likely to lose his job than Buffalo News writers and WGR radio jocks will for bashing Bills.

Google is your friend.

And by the way, freaking awesome column. Made my day.

I would love to see how we all would react if Sully wrote a column like that. Don't get me wrong, funny column, but think if this was written about the Bills and Bills fans

BTW, no clue on FTW, but before going to google I am guessing

F*&%^ the Word???

(Edit) Dam I wasn't even close

As a Bills Devotee living in *Pats fan hell(Boston), this is great to hear. I'm only wondering how long it takes for the resulting uproar to cost this reporter, honest as he is, his job.

Howie Car isn't just a reporter. He's the lead news colunist for the Boston Herald and he has a VERY popular morning radio show on WRKO. He's untouchable. When he refers to "Shillville" he must be talking about WEEI, and the Pop Warner waterboy must be fat-a$$ WEEI host Pete "The Meat" Shepard. Pete interviewing someone on the Patriots* is like Chris Farley interviewing Paul McCartney.

PTR

He is not any more likely to lose his job than Buffalo News writers and WGR radio jocks will for bashing Bills.

He's more like Sandy Beach than Jerry Sullivan. While he is a columnist for the Herald, he also has a drivetime radio show syndicated throughout New England...

Edit- PTR, it's in the afternoon...

i really love this line

Hey, fans, get over it. You should care as much about Tom Brady as he cares about you, which is to say, not at all.

:lol:

That's actually the one line I disagree with, how is a sports writer going to tell fans not to care about the best player on the team they cheer for. Seems a little hypocritical to me. Mom's basement reference is also a little stale. Other than that, very entertaining article.

He's more like Sandy Beach than Jerry Sullivan. While he is a columnist for the Herald, he also has a drivetime radio show syndicated throughout New England...

Edit- PTR, it's in the afternoon...

I don't listen to WRKO but I thought there was talk of moving Howie to mornings? I guess they never did.

PTR

What’s with this bereavement thing, just because Hollywood Tom Brady got hurt?

The reaction around here to Brady’s mishap has been so over the top, the only thing missing has been the deployment of grief counselors at local sports bars. Have they posted a sign yet on the Sagamore Bridge, saying “Suicide Is Not the Answer - No. 12 Will Be Back in 2009. Order Your DirecTV NFL Total Package Now.”

It’s a good thing Brady wrecked his knee on the field and not in an auto accident somewhere. Can you imagine what the size of that roadside memorial would have been? Every fat loser in New England would be unsteadily rising from the couch in his mom’s basement. It would have been like a funeral procession to the scene of the tragedy, where they would all be draping their XXX-L No. 12 Patriots sweatshirts over the thousands of candles, teddy bears and empty 40-ouncers.

and then there's this

It’s amazing to see how fast a bandwagon can stop in its tracks. At 1 p.m. Sunday this was the most asked question in New England:

“Do you think WE can go undefeated again this year?”

Three hours later, this was the number-one question in the Land of the Front Runners:

“What are THEY going to do now?”

There is no joy in Shillville. Mighty Brady has struck out. :cry::death:

Negativity sells. Just ask WGR.

This guy makes the grinch look like a fun loving guy

WTF is wrong with these Herald reporters? Seriously. I grew up in NE, lived in NY and just moved to San Fran, but still actively follow the local Boston pulse, and I swear, these guys are the most negative people in the country. They have no sense of respect. Can you respect TB as a football player and leave the crap about his personal life alone? This is the reason the country is going down the tubes. You care less about substance, and more about flair. Face it Herald. Criticizing Brady sells your papers. But, does it matter that you are destroying one of the best pieces of the formula of what makes the Patriots examplary? Apparently not.

:lol:

Google is your friend.

And by the way, freaking awesome column. Made my day.

GIYF ABTWFACMMD :(

Me & my buddies used to use FTW for F%^& the World... back when we thought Anarchy was cool... :(

Basically, what we have in this column is a calling out of the bulk of NE Pats* fans... you know, the Fair Weathered kind... The kind who were so supportive they almost watched "their" team move to Connecticut... Until Bledsoe led them to a SB Loss, and then Brady won one, then another for 'em. Those fans...

How many empty seats will there be in Foxboro if this team loses 3-4 games before midseason? My guess is a fair number of 'em... You'll see them on StubHub for cheap. Boston is a Baseball town - always has been. The pats are a fad whilst Brady is there and winning. Once the losing starts, they might as well pack up and move.

Howie Car isn't just a reporter. He's the lead news columnist for the Boston Herald and he has a VERY popular morning radio show on WRKO. He's untouchable. When he refers to "Shillville" he must be talking about WEEI, and the Pop Warner waterboy must be fat-a$$ WEEI host Pete "The Meat" Shepard. Pete interviewing someone on the Patriots* is like Chris Farley interviewing Paul McCartney.

PTR

Howie's one of a kind, that's for sure.

And in this case, at least, it makes for fantastic reading. :(