Just how good is Jason Peters?

Mickey

For those adopting the attitude of "screw Peters", I remind you just how good this guy is:

From BB.com:

Buffalo's new linchpin lineman has gone from what many league talent evaluators viewed as an NFL project to a Pro Bowl caliber blind-side protector, with potential to spare.

"He's very, very talented," said Bills offensive line coach Jim McNally. "His potential is unlimited. He's close to 350 pounds and he can run as fast as you want him to run. He's strong, good agility, balance, direction. He has all the tools."

The problem last season was the rest of the league had not yet been fully exposed to what Peters put on the field on a weekly basis. Baltimore defensive coordinator Rex Ryan didn't know who Jason Peters was last year until after Pro Bowl voting had taken place in mid-December. While watching tape of Buffalo's offensive line in preparation for their 2006 season finale with the Bills, Ryan's eyes were drawn to number 71.

"I never knew him from anybody," said Ryan of Peters. "But I was watching the tape and I was like, 'Whoa who is this kid?' He really stood out."

Peters stood out so much in fact that during pre-game warmups prior to last year's final regular season game, Ryan spoke to Bills offensive line coach Jim McNally to pay McNally's star pupil a compliment.

"Rex Ryan said, 'Wow. We didn't really see you play, but after we saw your tape we would have voted for your left tackle for the Pro Bowl,'" recalled McNally.

Chances are Ryan voted for Peters this season helping the left tackle earn selection to his first career Pro Bowl as the Bills left tackle was the lone all-star representative for the club this season.

Peters has taken one of the more unusual paths to NFL stardom, and ironically it was due to his freakish physical abilities. After committing to Arkansas out of high school, the Razorback coaching staff was in such awe of his athleticism for a player his size, they could not decide where to put him.

He played defensive end, defensive tackle, offensive tackle and finally tight end in his three collegiate seasons. All the position switching prevented Peters from maximizing his physical skills as he was forced to spend most of his time getting adjusted to the nuances of a new position each season.

As a 6'4" 320-pound tight end he ran a 4.9 40-time at the NFL Combine but few people took notice. Peters was passed over by the entire league until Buffalo called shortly after the draft concluded to sign him as an undrafted rookie free agent.

He began his career as a tight end with the Bills, but as a member of the team's practice squad after he did not make the team's 53-man roster coming out of training camp.

Peters was called up in mid-November and played on special teams and at tight end before transitioning to offensive tackle early in the 2005 campaign. But the transition took place on the practice field. With no NFL game experience on the line, Peters was thrust into the starting lineup at right tackle on national television at New England.

The results were impressive. Peters held Patriots pass rusher Willie McGinest to a pedestrian five tackles with no sacks, no quarterback pressures and no quarterback hits.

Now in his second season at left tackle, Peters not only handles the opponent's best pass rusher on a weekly basis, he does it with no help.

"We left Jason over there by himself," said McNally plainly.

If backs or tight ends were used to chip on pass rushers it was typically done on the right side of the formation to assist Langston Walker.

Seeing his one-on-one ability on film against the likes of perennial Pro Bowl ends like Jason Taylor and Richard Seymour twice a year, opposing coaches likely had a lot to say about Peters' first Pro Bowl selection.

"He's a great player," Ryan told Buffalobills.com. "Hell the tape doesn't lie. This kid has tons of ability. I'm not ready to put him in the Hall of Fame yet, but I am ready to put him in the Pro Bowl."

"He just has to continue to play," said McNally. "The only person that can stop Jason Peters is himself. His ability is limitless."

From an article naming the top 50 "Franchise Cornerstone" players:

14. Jason Peters [OT, Buffalo Bills, 26]

Stats: 2007 Pro Bowl Selection, 2007 All-Pro Selection

Peters has gone from an undrafted free agent tight end to a Pro Bowl left tackle with the Buffalo Bills in just a matter of years. Unlike many converted tight ends, Peters has significant weight and strength to a frame that already displays innate athleticism and ability to slide to cut off pass rushers on the edge. Having dominated the trenches in Buffalo, as their lone shining star on the line, Peters has made a name for himself quickly. He’s become a high character, hard-working locker room presence and a role model to the younger players. After joining the elites in the league, Peters is now holding out for a richer contract, an understandable move, though it’s difficult to imagine a mini-camp without the premiere tackle manning the left side. From an undrafted free agent to cornerstone in Buffalo, Peters would be a great building block looking to bring stability to the offensive line.

Peter King's 2007 Pro Bowl ballot:

T: Jason Peters, Buffalo; Willie Anderson, Cincinnati. Sorry, Walter Jones. It came down to you and Willie. Peters split his time between right and left this season, and the Bills found a franchise tackle.

Len Pasquarelli on Peters before the draft at OT and at TE:

Intriguing: Before he lined up for a drill at the combine, tight end Jason Peters (Arkansas) remarked that he might be the second-best left tackle prospect in the draft. And he's right because, in time, he could be. It might be a gamble to move Peters to tackle, a position he hasn't played, but he clearly has the skills to eventually be a solid player there. And with the lack of left tackle prospects in this draft, some clubs might be tempted to regard him as a down-the-road tackle. At 6-feet-4½ and 336 pounds, Peters ran a 4.94 at the combine. He would need a lot of work, and individual attention to make the switch to tackle, but it merits consideration.

Jason Peters (Arkansas)

Vital statistics: 6-feet-4½, 336 pounds, 4.94 in the 40, and 29 "reps" on the bench press.

Numbers game: Started in 36 games and career numbers include 28 receptions for 300 yards and four touchdowns.

Upside: Incredible movement skills for a man so large and, as noted in the offensive line preview, some teams might consider moving him to left tackle. Tall and massively built, thick all over, pretty good knee-bender. Nifty feet and, when he gets rolling, he is tough to stop. Solid pass protector, can slide laterally, will give some team a player who can "chip" at pass rushers. Adequate receiver with good flexibility and body control.

Downside: Since he played in such a run-oriented offense, didn't get much chance to hone his route-running skills, and hands are still inconsistent. Even with his stunning athleticism, will have to shed some weight if he is going to play tight end at the next level. For all his size and speed, isn't all that explosive coming off the ball, and is actually a half-step tardy on a lot of plays. Will overextend himself on some blocks.

The Dish: An intriguing guy but someone will have to decide early on whether he is a tight end or a tackle. Probable first-day pick, likely in the third round.

For one of the best comprehensive articles on Peters, including all the salary info on other LT's you can handle, read Outside Foxborough: Jason Peters - One of the Ten Most Valuable Properties in Football:

Some excerpts:

It was last week, though, that Peters was really called into the limelight, when reigning Defensive Player of the Year Jason Taylor paid Peters quite the compliment. The Buffalo News wrote:

“He’s probably the best left tackle I face this year,” Taylor said during a conference call with the Buffalo media this week. ” . . . He’s a big, athletic guy who is strong and moves very well. He’s got the size. He does a lot of things well. You don’t see him get beat a whole lot. He’s equally as strong in the run game as he is in the pass game. I think he’s a helluva player.”

When one considers the difficulty teams have in locating, acquiring, and keeping a left tackle cheap, Peters’ claim to being an elite left tackle makes him one of the most valuable — and unlikely — assets in pro football.

and:

"At this point, Jason Peters represents not only a player with a unique path to his job and a interesting skill set, but he’s one of the ten most valuable players in football, when you consider bang for buck. "

The guy is very, very good, period.

He is the best LT in football. Can't let him go.

Is anyone here really thinking of letting him go?

If they are, they are on crack.

That, however, does not mean that we have to be turning handsprings on his behalf, or whining that the Bills have not simply offered him a new contract without negotiations.

Holdouts are a fact of life; this one will end, as all of them end. The drama is unnecessary.

Hmm...All thoughs accolades and he still went undrafted.

He still has to prove it to me for one more year before I hand him the keys to the vault.

I'm wondering if Jason Peters is really as all-world as everyone makes him out to be here. Sure he's a top LT and protects better than anyone in the league, but he really wasn't the 'road-grader' on the left side for our running game that we expected. Is his 'greatness' being exaggerated here because of his holdout (and that we're all Bills fans so we over-value our players).

Jesus Christ, man. Posting that article in one thread wasn't enough for you? Give it a rest. Nobody wants to lose Peters; some simply believe the tactics utilized by his agent are questionable, and there's nothing wrong with Buffalo wanting to see another year of high quality play before opening the bank vault for the guy.

It's really quite simple, yet some bring so much drama to the table.

I'm wondering if Jason Peters is really as all-world as everyone makes him out to be here. Sure he's a top LT and protects better than anyone in the league, but he really wasn't the 'road-grader' on the left side for our running game that we expected. Is his 'greatness' being exaggerated here because of his holdout (and that we're all Bills fans so we over-value our players).

All those articles are from before his hold out and I posted them here in one place due to all the posts I have read lately claiming the he really isn't all that good. "Fat, lazy, selfish peckerhead" are just some of the foolish claims being repeated ad nauseum.

I think he is just as good run blocking as he is pass blocking. You just don't see it given the incredible predictability of our offense last year. Lynch had some pretty solid numbers despite that inept offense, someone was blocking and it wasn't Melving Fowler. In fact, I am somewhat amazed we ran as well as we did last year given the pitiable game planning and play selection coming out of Fairchild.

I have no problem with the team pinching pennies or making points on contracts....with lesser players. I just think it is a very bad idea to risk screwing up the good fortune of having finally found a franchise LT. We had lots of player come and go during the SB runs but the top guys always got enough money to stay put. Get tough with Kelsay if you want, or Ryan Denney or Roscoe or Kyle Williams. Not Peters. Not Evans. Not Lynch and not Edwards.

For those adopting the attitude of "screw Peters", I remind you just how good this guy is:

From BB.com:

Buffalo's new linchpin lineman has gone from what many league talent evaluators viewed as an NFL project to a Pro Bowl caliber blind-side protector, with potential to spare.

"He's very, very talented," said Bills offensive line coach Jim McNally. "His potential is unlimited. He's close to 350 pounds and he can run as fast as you want him to run. He's strong, good agility, balance, direction. He has all the tools."

The problem last season was the rest of the league had not yet been fully exposed to what Peters put on the field on a weekly basis. Baltimore defensive coordinator Rex Ryan didn't know who Jason Peters was last year until after Pro Bowl voting had taken place in mid-December. While watching tape of Buffalo's offensive line in preparation for their 2006 season finale with the Bills, Ryan's eyes were drawn to number 71.

"I never knew him from anybody," said Ryan of Peters. "But I was watching the tape and I was like, 'Whoa who is this kid?' He really stood out."

Peters stood out so much in fact that during pre-game warmups prior to last year's final regular season game, Ryan spoke to Bills offensive line coach Jim McNally to pay McNally's star pupil a compliment.

"Rex Ryan said, 'Wow. We didn't really see you play, but after we saw your tape we would have voted for your left tackle for the Pro Bowl,'" recalled McNally.

Chances are Ryan voted for Peters this season helping the left tackle earn selection to his first career Pro Bowl as the Bills left tackle was the lone all-star representative for the club this season.

Peters has taken one of the more unusual paths to NFL stardom, and ironically it was due to his freakish physical abilities. After committing to Arkansas out of high school, the Razorback coaching staff was in such awe of his athleticism for a player his size, they could not decide where to put him.

He played defensive end, defensive tackle, offensive tackle and finally tight end in his three collegiate seasons. All the position switching prevented Peters from maximizing his physical skills as he was forced to spend most of his time getting adjusted to the nuances of a new position each season.

As a 6'4" 320-pound tight end he ran a 4.9 40-time at the NFL Combine but few people took notice. Peters was passed over by the entire league until Buffalo called shortly after the draft concluded to sign him as an undrafted rookie free agent.

He began his career as a tight end with the Bills, but as a member of the team's practice squad after he did not make the team's 53-man roster coming out of training camp.

Peters was called up in mid-November and played on special teams and at tight end before transitioning to offensive tackle early in the 2005 campaign. But the transition took place on the practice field. With no NFL game experience on the line, Peters was thrust into the starting lineup at right tackle on national television at New England.

The results were impressive. Peters held Patriots pass rusher Willie McGinest to a pedestrian five tackles with no sacks, no quarterback pressures and no quarterback hits.

Now in his second season at left tackle, Peters not only handles the opponent's best pass rusher on a weekly basis, he does it with no help.

If backs or tight ends were used to chip on pass rushers it was typically done on the right side of the formation to assist Langston Walker.

Seeing his one-on-one ability on film against the likes of perennial Pro Bowl ends like Jason Taylor and Richard Seymour twice a year, opposing coaches likely had a lot to say about Peters' first Pro Bowl selection.

"He's a great player," Ryan told Buffalobills.com. "Hell the tape doesn't lie. This kid has tons of ability. I'm not ready to put him in the Hall of Fame yet, but I am ready to put him in the Pro Bowl."

"He just has to continue to play," said McNally. "The only person that can stop Jason Peters is himself. His ability is limitless."

Peters has gone from an undrafted free agent tight end to a Pro Bowl left tackle with the Buffalo Bills in just a matter of years. Unlike many converted tight ends, Peters has significant weight and strength to a frame that already displays innate athleticism and ability to slide to cut off pass rushers on the edge. Having dominated the trenches in Buffalo, as their lone shining star on the line, Peters has made a name for himself quickly. He’s become a high character, hard-working locker room presence and a role model to the younger players. After joining the elites in the league, Peters is now holding out for a richer contract, an understandable move, though it’s difficult to imagine a mini-camp without the premiere tackle manning the left side. From an undrafted free agent to cornerstone in Buffalo, Peters would be a great building block looking to bring stability to the offensive line.

T: Jason Peters, Buffalo; Willie Anderson, Cincinnati. Sorry, Walter Jones. It came down to you and Willie. Peters split his time between right and left this season, and the Bills found a franchise tackle.

Intriguing: Before he lined up for a drill at the combine, tight end Jason Peters (Arkansas) remarked that he might be the second-best left tackle prospect in the draft. And he's right because, in time, he could be. It might be a gamble to move Peters to tackle, a position he hasn't played, but he clearly has the skills to eventually be a solid player there. And with the lack of left tackle prospects in this draft, some clubs might be tempted to regard him as a down-the-road tackle. At 6-feet-4½ and 336 pounds, Peters ran a 4.94 at the combine. He would need a lot of work, and individual attention to make the switch to tackle, but it merits consideration.

Jason Peters (Arkansas)

Vital statistics: 6-feet-4½, 336 pounds, 4.94 in the 40, and 29 "reps" on the bench press.

Numbers game: Started in 36 games and career numbers include 28 receptions for 300 yards and four touchdowns.

Upside: Incredible movement skills for a man so large and, as noted in the offensive line preview, some teams might consider moving him to left tackle. Tall and massively built, thick all over, pretty good knee-bender. Nifty feet and, when he gets rolling, he is tough to stop. Solid pass protector, can slide laterally, will give some team a player who can "chip" at pass rushers. Adequate receiver with good flexibility and body control.

Downside: Since he played in such a run-oriented offense, didn't get much chance to hone his route-running skills, and hands are still inconsistent. Even with his stunning athleticism, will have to shed some weight if he is going to play tight end at the next level. For all his size and speed, isn't all that explosive coming off the ball, and is actually a half-step tardy on a lot of plays. Will overextend himself on some blocks.

The Dish: An intriguing guy but someone will have to decide early on whether he is a tight end or a tackle. Probable first-day pick, likely in the third round.

For one of the best comprehensive articles on Peters, including all the salary info on other LT's you can handle, read Outside Foxborough: Jason Peters - One of the Ten Most Valuable Properties in Football:

Some excerpts:

It was last week, though, that Peters was really called into the limelight, when reigning Defensive Player of the Year Jason Taylor paid Peters quite the compliment. The Buffalo News wrote:

“He’s probably the best left tackle I face this year,” Taylor said during a conference call with the Buffalo media this week. ” . . . He’s a big, athletic guy who is strong and moves very well. He’s got the size. He does a lot of things well. You don’t see him get beat a whole lot. He’s equally as strong in the run game as he is in the pass game. I think he’s a helluva player.”

When one considers the difficulty teams have in locating, acquiring, and keeping a left tackle cheap, Peters’ claim to being an elite left tackle makes him one of the most valuable — and unlikely — assets in pro football.

and:

"At this point, Jason Peters represents not only a player with a unique path to his job and a interesting skill set, but he’s one of the ten most valuable players in football, when you consider bang for buck. "

I think we all know how you feel. You tell us numerous times daily. I think we all agree how good/important he is to the Bills. The only disagreement is how Peters and his agent are going about this. Everyone has stated their case many times. Let's just get ready for the season. Whether he shows or not, there is still a game in 2 weeks.

I think we all know how you feel. You tell us numerous times daily. I think we all agree how good/important he is to the Bills. The only disagreement is how Peters and his agent are going about this. Everyone has stated their case many times. Let's just get ready for the season. Whether he shows or not, there is still a game in 2 weeks.

I think Mickey is trying to convince us that we need to crawl to Parker and Peters over broken glass dragging an armored car behind us because we are not worthy.

PTR

Jesus Christ, man. Posting that article in one thread wasn't enough for you? Give it a rest. Nobody wants to lose Peters; some simply believe the tactics utilized by his agent are questionable, and there's nothing wrong with Buffalo wanting to see another year of high quality play before opening the bank vault for the guy.

It's really quite simple, yet some bring so much drama to the table.

Is there nothing wrong with the team pursuing a course that will eventually cost us this player? I think he has certainly proved his worth already. One pro bowl year and some proof that he woudl have made it the year before despite playing 1/2 the year on the right side if he hadn't have been such an unknown. (See Peter Kings 2007 ballot and what Ryan had to say to McNally when he saw Peters' tape after he already turned in his ballot). If it was a choice between losing him and paying him now, what woud you choose? Screw him over now and sooner or later, he will bolt as soon as he can. At the very least, he would be gone after this contract and though 3 years might seem like a long time, he has a lot more than 3 years of football left in him.

Maybe you have missed the "Peters is a selfish peckerhead, screw we don't need him, he isn't all that good, etc." posts that are all over the board. I haven't. This post is a response to that stuff and if it bothers you, a good solution might be to not read it.

I think Mickey is trying to convince us that we need to crawl to Parker and Peters over broken glass dragging an armored car behind us because we are not worthy.

PTR

...and you are trying to convince us that Peters is a fat, lazy bastard and we are better off without him.

Lets take a look at your even tempered discussion of Peters, simply objecting to his agents tactics:

"Be selfish, disrespect your teammates, and the Bills have nothing to say to you, even if you are a (one-time barely) Pro Bowler" Peters selfish and disrespectful? Check.

"It really looks like Parker was banking on the Bills to behave like some people on this board: wetting their panties at the thought of playing without Peters" We don't need Peters? Check.

"If Peters won't listen, then I'd tell him he should look into trade school to learn a new skill because he'll never play another down in the NFL if I have anything to to about it." To hell with Peters? Check.

"Giving into a crybaby like Peters only invites every other player on the team to hold out." Peters a crybaby? Check.

"Another pouting holdout." Check.

"I hope Peters bought Madden '09 because it will be the only football he plays this year. Jase, how's that new agent workin' out for ya?" Check.

But to be fair, you have been restrained compared to others:

"I guess Peters is too stupid to realize this and start looking out for his own interests, not Parker's."

"I believe he goes on the Incredibly Stupid/Unable To Perform list."

"Maybe Peckerhead is coming to grips with his self-inflicted conundrum"

"Peters will report by week's end - with egg on his face, and nothing but his dick in his hand to show for his 4-week display of petulance and futile greed"

"Parker is a punk, and Peters is an idiot."

"...are you suggesting that stupidity, bad behavior, and not honoring one's word are things that should have no consequences "

"Peters will look even more stupid, if that's possible..."

"The Bills have shown they can survive - maybe even do quite well, thank you - without Peters"

"Now, instead of sittin' on your fat ass while all your teammates are working their butts off, how 'bout hopping in your big-ass, tricked out SUV ..."

"Ya gotta think he's feeling pretty stupid right now, and is wondering how he gets out of the jam he's caused himself without looking like a total idiot. Too late for that, Jason..."

"I still think Peters will report Friday [Aug. 8th], and that the Bills are already in 'spin control' mode to find a face-saving way out for Jason..." I won't bother with all the other sage predictions that he will be in camp by ________, all of which have been wrong.

So with all that bile against Peters, I can see why it seems like overkill for me to post something positive about Peters to interrupt the 24-7 "Peters is a greedy idiot" post parade.

Is there nothing wrong with the team pursuing a course that will eventually cost us this player? I think he has certainly proved his worth already. One pro bowl year and some proof that he woudl have made it the year before despite playing 1/2 the year on the right side if he hadn't have been such an unknown. (See Peter Kings 2007 ballot and what Ryan had to say to McNally when he saw Peters' tape after he already turned in his ballot). If it was a choice between losing him and paying him now, what woud you choose? Screw him over now and sooner or later, he will bolt as soon as he can. At the very least, he would be gone after this contract and though 3 years might seem like a long time, he has a lot more than 3 years of football left in him.

3 years is a long time. Yes, there's no need for the Bills to antagonize him, but do you have any evidence that that's what the team is doing? I certainly haven't seen anyone from the Bills front office saying "Screw Jason Peters, we don't need him."

Right now both sides are playing hardball, but until I see some proof otherwise, I don't think either side is treating it as anything other than just business. And whatever hurt feelings there may be, there's another two seasons after this one for the Bills to toss a nice juicy contract extension in front of Peters which I am confident he will sign if the price is right.

...and you are trying to convince us that Peters is a fat, lazy bastard and we are better off without him.

Lets take a look at your even tempered discussion of Peters, simply objecting to his agents tactics:

"Be selfish, disrespect your teammates, and the Bills have nothing to say to you, even if you are a (one-time barely) Pro Bowler" Peters selfish and disrespectful? Check.

"It really looks like Parker was banking on the Bills to behave like some people on this board: wetting their panties at the thought of playing without Peters" We don't need Peters? Check.

"If Peters won't listen, then I'd tell him he should look into trade school to learn a new skill because he'll never play another down in the NFL if I have anything to to about it." To hell with Peters? Check.

"Giving into a crybaby like Peters only invites every other player on the team to hold out." Peters a crybaby? Check.

"Another pouting holdout." Check.

"I hope Peters bought Madden '09 because it will be the only football he plays this year. Jase, how's that new agent workin' out for ya?" Check.

But to be fair, you have been restrained compared to others:

"I guess Peters is too stupid to realize this and start looking out for his own interests, not Parker's."

"I believe he goes on the Incredibly Stupid/Unable To Perform list."

"Maybe Peckerhead is coming to grips with his self-inflicted conundrum"

"Peters will report by week's end - with egg on his face, and nothing but his dick in his hand to show for his 4-week display of petulance and futile greed"

"Parker is a punk, and Peters is an idiot."

"...are you suggesting that stupidity, bad behavior, and not honoring one's word are things that should have no consequences "

"Peters will look even more stupid, if that's possible..."

"The Bills have shown they can survive - maybe even do quite well, thank you - without Peters"

"Now, instead of sittin' on your fat ass while all your teammates are working their butts off, how 'bout hopping in your big-ass, tricked out SUV ..."

"Ya gotta think he's feeling pretty stupid right now, and is wondering how he gets out of the jam he's caused himself without looking like a total idiot. Too late for that, Jason..."

"I still think Peters will report Friday [Aug. 8th], and that the Bills are already in 'spin control' mode to find a face-saving way out for Jason..." I won't bother with all the other sage predictions that he will be in camp by ________, all of which have been wrong.

So with all that bile against Peters, I can see why it seems like overkill for me to post something positive about Peters to interrupt the 24-7 "Peters is a greedy idiot" post parade.

We are all Bills fans and want Peters playing, but you seem a bit obsessed with this. You might need to take a break and maybe not watch tomorrow night.

Is there nothing wrong with the team pursuing a course that will eventually cost us this player?

How in the world is this going to cost us Peters? When he decides he's finished sitting on his couch and costing himself money, he comes to the Bills. Its not like he has another option. :)

How in the world is this going to cost us Peters? When he decides he's finished sitting on his couch and costing himself money, he comes to the Bills. Its not like he has another option. :)

Yes he does. When this contract is up, he will leave. He is a young player and will be around for a lot longer than 3 years. Why in the world, after this, wouldn't he leave? Maybe your content with losing the best LT we have had since Will Wolford, I'm not.

And he could just stay home, now. At some point the team will have to decide to pay him or trade him. They aren't going to let an asset like that go to waste, not when they could get a couple high picks for him.

That will be a great message to send to the rest of the player on the team and around the league wouldn't it: "Come to Buffalo where pro bowlers get paid like bench warmers". Why there will be a stampede of FA's to....er.....away from Buffalo.

3 years is a long time. Yes, there's no need for the Bills to antagonize him, but do you have any evidence that that's what the team is doing? I certainly haven't seen anyone from the Bills front office saying "Screw Jason Peters, we don't need him."

Right now both sides are playing hardball, but until I see some proof otherwise, I don't think either side is treating it as anything other than just business. And whatever hurt feelings there may be, there's another two seasons after this one for the Bills to toss a nice juicy contract extension in front of Peters which I am confident he will sign if the price is right.

Brandon's press conference. Peters hasn't had one. Neither has his agent.

Is anyone here really thinking of letting him go?

If they are, they are on crack.

That, however, does not mean that we have to be turning handsprings on his behalf, or whining that the Bills have not simply offered him a new contract without negotiations.

Holdouts are a fact of life; this one will end, as all of them end. The drama is unnecessary.

No handsprings or drama is necessary. Simply do what they did with Schobel, call Parker and say they are willing to give him a new deal this year. From there, they start faxing offer sheets and you see what happens. Instead, they have insisted that he "honor the commitment" he made to the team two years ago, ie, keep playing under this contract.

I have made it very clear that I do not like the way the Front Office is handling the Peters' holdout. I think if the Bills are going to negotiate, they should just do it and get Peters into camp. I'd rather he sign a deal now, or a month ago, and be ready for Sept. 7, then sign him sometime in October.

This team is better with Peters than without him. In a year that is very importiant to the Bills (make the playoffs and we have something to build on or miss out and start re-building all over again with a new coach), I do not like the fact that the front office did not find a way to work things out with our only offensive probowler since 2003.

If the Bills are willing to renegotiate, why not do it in May or June so nobody has to hold out. If 2008 is non-negotiable, then show Peters how happy you will make him in 2009. Work out a deal that has incentives and roster bonuses that won't count against the cap until next year.

But as Buffalo Jesus (formerly RJI) pointed out, Orlando Pace held out, and reluctantly reported two years in a row. Then signed a long term deal. If the Rams can do what they did to Pace, and still repair the relationship with a long term deal, maybe it can work for the Bills.

We will know soon, Pace ended his 1st holdout 13 days before the season started and his 2nd 6 days before.

Yes he does. When this contract is up, he will leave. He is a young player and will be around for a lot longer than 3 years. Why in the world, after this, wouldn't he leave? Maybe your content with losing the best LT we have had since Will Wolford, I'm not.

Why would this episode cause Peters to leave? What cause does he have to hold a personal grudge against this team? Given the evidence we have right now, assuming Peters doesn't understand this is just business seems incredibly presumptuous to me.

And he could just stay home, now. At some point the team will have to decide to pay him or trade him. They aren't going to let an asset like that go to waste, not when they could get a couple high picks for him.

Again, you're being presumptuous. Given the evidence we have, I believe the Bills are perfectly able to play the waiting game for as long as it takes, seeing as Peters ONLY options are to A) play at least 3 seasons for this team, or B) retire. Given what the Bills have done so far, the assumption that they're suddenly going to panic and ship Peters elsewhere seems extremely unfounded to me.

That will be a great message to send to the rest of the player on the team and around the league wouldn't it: "Come to Buffalo where pro bowlers get paid like bench warmers". Why there will be a stampede of FA's to....er.....away from Buffalo.

Here's something you haven't been able to comprehend from the beginning of this: there is a HUGE difference between the Bills willingness to pay Peters as a premier player right now, and the Bills willingness to EVER pay Peters as a premier player.

Say the Bills just want to see one more solid season out of him before making him one of the highest paid players in the league...and lets say Peters eventually reports, has another great year, and NOW the Bills are ready to open up the checkbook for him. Peters' reality is that the Bills are on his doorstep ready to give him a huge payday, and the financial security he's seeking, a full 2 seasons before anyone else can. Do you REALLY think Peters will have such a huge grudge against this team that he'll put off signing a deal for 2 whole years until he hits free agency, risking injury in that time, and therefore taking the risk of NEVER cashing in? Thats just bad business. I really don't think Parker is THAT incompetent.

No handsprings or drama is necessary. Simply do what they did with Schobel, call Parker and say they are willing to give him a new deal this year. From there, they start faxing offer sheets and you see what happens. Instead, they have insisted that he "honor the commitment" he made to the team two years ago, ie, keep playing under this contract.

Mickey, I am sure you think you are being all rational and stuff by acting as Peters' agent, but come on. Of course they will say that. It means nothing at all in the long run. They are as entitled to say that as Peters is to hold out. You are the dramatizer with your apocalyptic predictions of Peters never showing up, or leaving, or whatever.

From BB.com:

Jason Peters (Arkansas)

Some excerpts:

and:

Nice job, Eugene. Only thing you didn't manage to squeeze in was his Wonderlic score.

Anyone seen how fast Peters runs the 40 since his groin-tear & sports hernia?

Yes he does. When this contract is up, he will leave. He is a young player and will be around for a lot longer than 3 years. Why in the world, after this, wouldn't he leave?

Because of something called the franchise tag. Which the Bills can apply twice. So that means they can have him for 5 more years if they want.

I suspect that Peters and Parker have told the Bills the exact amount they want in a new deal ($10-11M a year and a huge signing bonus) and not to bother talking to them until the Bills agree to it. The Bills probably told him that at that amount, he'll have to play under his old contract this year and next year he'll get it. Hence the impasse. The Bills are ready to move on without Peters, but for Peters, it's not that easy. He's already out $430K in fines. Every game he misses, he loses $190K. And if he misses even one game, the Bills will go after his $1.5M signing bonus. Peters can't afford to have that happen and will eventually have to report.

Because of something called the franchise tag. Which the Bills can apply twice. So that means they can have him for 5 more years if they want.

I suspect that Peters and Parker have told the Bills the exact amount they want in a new deal ($10-11M a year and a huge signing bonus) and not to bother talking to them until the Bills agree to it. The Bills probably told him that at that amount, he'll have to play under his old contract this year and next year he'll get it. Hence the impasse. The Bills are ready to move on without Peters, but for Peters, it's not that easy. He's already out $430K in fines. Every game he misses, he loses $190K. And if he misses even one game, the Bills will go after his $1.5M signing bonus. Peters can't afford to have that happen and will eventually have to report.

Maybe Mickey can give him a loan, or move and become his personal assistant to help cushion the blow! :thumbsup:

Jeezus H. Keerist, Mickey. You act like a player can skip three years and just return to Pro Bowl form. You are high on something. Yes Peters can mess with the Bills, but you know the Bills have to be ready to play without any player on their roster due to injury. So if Peters sits, its no different than if he were on IR. You still have to play the games.

On the other hand the Bills can make sure Peters never plays in the NFL again. If Peters misses a year, then he still owes the Bills that year. Peters can never wait the Bills out. And even if he showed up on week 9 the next three years just to get credit for that year, he will be out millions of dollars...MILLIONS!!!

So what happens after three years of basically not playing. You think NFL GM's are as starstruck as you and will offer Peters $11M a year just because he made the Pro Bowl once??? Fat chance. Peters will be next to worthless after three years of inactivity.

PTR

Maybe you have missed the "Peters is a selfish peckerhead, screw we don't need him, he isn't all that good, etc." posts that are all over the board. I haven't. This post is a response to that stuff and if it bothers you, a good solution might be to not read it.

You're headed down the path of embarking on a relentless crusade, repeating yourself over and over again...which I think is specifically addressed in the rules of the board. Not that I'm a moderator or anything.

He's under contract for three years.

IF and when he drags his butt back to Buffalo, The Bills are not going to re-sign him to a new 3 year contract. It'll be a five year deal at least - but they're holding firm on no raise in '08.

So, dragging his holdout to the sublime - if he sits for three years, he doesn't get paid and he's ruined his career - but he's still a Bill.

If he does report and negotiates like a man, he gets a new deal for mega-monster-millions he's a Bill for at least 6 years.

How in the name of Sam Hill do we "lose this player"?

He either wants to play or he doesn't.

The Bills have zero interest in trading him and he can't escape from his contract.

The FO - IMHO - is quite willing to stand on principle for the next three years.

Don't lose sight of the fact that the Bills are not the offending party here.

The player and his assgent have way over-played their hand. They've fired their cannon's one shot and it bounced off The Ralph's outer wall without making a dent. What does he do next to bring The Bills to their senses - hold his breath till he turns blue and faints? Maybe he'll get what he wants if he pickets outside The Ralph on gamedays with a sign saying "Will work for $1,000,000.00 a week".

The game of football is larger than any one player. The games will still be played with or without Jason Peters.

This year's squad will be a better team with him, but it won't be as good as it would have been had he shown up and practiced (hello! there's a new offensive coordinator in town!) from the get-go.

Instead he's been an asshat and he has selfishly deprived his teammates from getting valuable practice time at their normal positions.

I blame Mouse for this. If he hadn't thought the kid could play the lucrative LT position, Peters might be in camp as and happy as our starting All-Pro Tight End.

I know that this might be throwing a stone at the beehive, but wouldn't it be incredible if the Bills play lights out without Peters. Don't get me wrong, I like Peters and really want him to play, but the Bills playing great without him would be the best possible scenario for us fans. Jason would see that we don't really need him and are willing to let him sit. Then, when he decided to return on his own, our already great O-line would get even better.

It seems to me that some of the same people who get mad when someone here says they hope Losman doesn't do well so there is no QB controversy, are the same people who hope the Bills suffer without Peters so we'll have to bring him back. Let's be consistent with the crazy, please.

Jeezus H. Keerist, Mickey. You act like a player can skip three years and just return to Pro Bowl form. You are high on something. Yes Peters can mess with the Bills, but you know the Bills have to be ready to play without any player on their roster due to injury. So if Peters sits, its no different than if he were on IR. You still have to play the games.

On the other hand the Bills can make sure Peters never plays in the NFL again. If Peters misses a year, then he still owes the Bills that year. Peters can never wait the Bills out. And even if he showed up on week 9 the next three years just to get credit for that year, he will be out millions of dollars...MILLIONS!!!

So what happens after three years of basically not playing. You think NFL GM's are as starstruck as you and will offer Peters $11M a year just because he made the Pro Bowl once??? Fat chance. Peters will be next to worthless after three years of inactivity.

PTR

Promo, please look at this.

Jake Long signed a 5 year contract for 57 million dollars. No less than 30 million is guaranteed. Do you know what isn't guaranteed? The premise that he will ever be as good as Jason Peters already is. Think about this if you will....he is guaranteed 6 million per season. This is what, about 40% more than Peters will make per season for the next 3 years? The kid has never played a game, and some project him to be more of a right than left tackle.

Now, let's switch gears and look at Melvin Fowler.......He is scheduled to make more than Peters. I watch blockers as much as a person can, and he has never shown me any indication of being more than an average OC. He plays weak Promo. He gets tossed around. He moves well and has good fundamentals, but he isn't strong. Do you think he will ever make the pro-bowl? I mean seriously. :thumbsup:

Dockery is good. Some day (perhaps this season) he might be very good. He calls Jason Peters "the franchise," and talked about how strong Peters is on Sirius. He makes roughly double what Peters is signed for.

I don't like the hold out any more than anybody else. The thing is, he clearly deserves a raise. My gut tells me that if they offer to make him our highest paid blocker, Parker might listen. How about a 6 year deal for 50 million, with 20 million guaranteed? This would be a bargain Promo.....and, it would be good for the Bills, and Bills Fans. If he was a ufa he would get more, but he isn't.

Jason Peters and the Bills (and their great, loyal fans) need each other. Ralph/Brandon's game of hardball is not any more OK than the tactics of Peters/Parker imo. Maybe BOTH sides need to grow up and meet somewhere in the middle as I suggested.

Oh, and please come to 1/5 for the Raider game!!!! :w00t:;)

I know that this might be throwing a stone at the beehive, but wouldn't it be incredible if the Bills play lights out without Peters. Don't get me wrong, I like Peters and really want him to play, but the Bills playing great without him would be the best possible scenario for us fans. Jason would see that we don't really need him and are willing to let him sit. Then, when he decided to return on his own, our already great O-line would get even better.

It seems to me that some of the same people who get mad when someone here says they hope Losman doesn't do well so there is no QB controversy, are the same people who hope the Bills suffer without Peters so we'll have to bring him back. Let's be consistent with the crazy, please.

Sure it would, but it would be all but impossible. Haven't you seen enough of John Fina, Kris Farris, Mike Gandy and Greg Jerman?

As far as JP, I can't imagine how or why a Bills Fan would want him not to play well tonight. If he kicks ass, believe me, the posts from the fanboys calling for him to start will be insufferable, but worth it in terms of the Bills winning, and having a decent option in case the superior starting quarterback gets injured.